Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Cavanjack wrote: »
    What’s the alternative?

Beef farmers are not the only frogs being slow boiled at the moment.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/if-bord-na-mona-and-esb-go-now-thats-it-for-lanesboro/

Rural Ireland is being sold out left, right and centre. This is treason Irish style - be careful who you vote(d) for.

They could be coming for dairy farmers next.

The irony of an bord phleana refusing planning permission on its mission to save the planet, while in the next breath they will turn around and refuse planning for solar and wind farms also in a lot of cases just shows the banana republic Ireland is becoming, always liked Richard Burton but he’s becoming a a sorry excuse of a minister as time goes on....
    The only thing that will focus the current governments mind to show a ounce of respect for rural communities would be a sharp deep prolonged recession and the corporation tax well drying up, but no one obviously wants to see that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Beef farmers are not the only frogs being slow boiled at the moment.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/if-bord-na-mona-and-esb-go-now-thats-it-for-lanesboro/

Rural Ireland is being sold out left, right and centre. This is treason Irish style - be careful who you vote(d) for.

They could be coming for dairy farmers next.

Was the plan that they would stop using peat/turf for power at some point, but the closure of the power plant has brought it forward?

It is a lot of jobs to be lost all of a sudden lost in a rural area though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The irony of an bord phleana refusing planning permission on its mission to save the planet, while in the next breath they will turn around and refuse planning for solar and wind farms also in a lot of cases just shows the banana republic Ireland is becoming, always liked Richard Burton but he’s becoming a a sorry excuse of a minister as time goes on....
    The only thing that will focus the current governments mind to show a ounce of respect for rural communities would be a sharp deep prolonged recession and the corporation tax well drying up, but no one obviously wants to see that

The Brutons were large cattle farmers not that long ago. I have oftened woundered why no-one in the Dail didn't remind him of this and how he was reared and educated on the back of cattle.

The way he has turned is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

kk.man wrote: »
    The Brutons were large cattle farmers not that long ago. I have oftened woundered why no-one in the Dail didn't remind him of this and how he was reared and educated on the back of cattle.

The way he has turned is a disgrace.

He doesn’t look like a lad that would of came too close to livestock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

He doesn’t look like a lad that would of came too close to livestock

225 acres

https://www.kildarestreet.com/regmem/?p=46

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

lads as i said this area of the country has very little farming culture and fuuck all respect towards farmers , only a few good lads trying to do their bit, some of the best ground in ireland that the brutons would have owned too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,245 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It always amazes me the way lads think that politicians make s difference to there life and blame them for it. Throughout my lifetime there is only one time I was really annoyed with the political establishment. That was in the noughties. I could see the kick in the hole coming but could do nothing about it. What was worse it was twice as bad as I expected.
    TBH the decision today is justified, HTF can you justify importing biomass to sustain a bio fuel burner/powerplant. Can we grow willow or other fuel such as elephant grass sustain it. Maybe but most of it would be on suckler land.

Now I heard the bollax from An Taisce and I am not impressed with him either. But blaming politicians for everything that effects you is BS. You control your own destiny or else you decide to live in a cocoon of your own making. If you burn the candle at both ends in you teens and early twenties do not expect to have everything in your fifties.

Politicians and the tax system are there to be used and abused. TBH after 2010 I decided that never again would I allow politicians have a serious effect on my life. It took me 3 years to get my sh!t together, but I promised never, never again.
    I did not inherit land or property. Would I consider myself lucky yes but I rode the rhino. The only thing I ever got was a site, but it brought its own problems. You either manage the difficulties in your life or else they control you.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

The Brutons are still large cattle farmers in Meath

It always amazes me the way lads think that politicians make s difference to there life and blame them for it. Throughout my lifetime there is only one time I was really annoyed with the political establishment. That was in the noughties. I could see the kick in the hole coming but could do nothing about it. What was worse it was twice as bad as I expected.
    TBH the decision today is justified, HTF can you justify importing biomass to sustain a bio fuel burner/powerplant. Can we grow willow or other fuel such as elephant grass sustain it. Maybe but most of it would be on suckler land.

Now I heard the bollax from An Taisce and I am not impressed with him either. But blaming politicians for everything that effects you is BS. You control your own destiny or else you decide to live in a cocoon of your own making. If you burn the candle at both ends in you teens and early twenties do not expect to have everything in your fifties.

Politicians and the tax system are there to be used and abused. TBH after 2010 I decided that never again would I allow politicians have a serious effect on my life. It took me 3 years to get my sh!t together, but I promised never, never again.
    I did not inherit land or property. Would I consider myself lucky yes but I rode the rhino. The only thing I ever got was a site, but it brought its own problems. You either manage the difficulties in your life or else they control you.

Bass I am not blaming Richard Bruton for anything but I am stating he harping on about climate change and cattle while he came from a successful farming enterprise that centred on livestock. That's all!
    He should be reminded of such too. I don't want a politician for anything nor with luck I wont.

Old Joe Bruton was the precursor to say Dan Brown or Larry Goodman. Big live cattle exported in his day. One old neighbour knew him and spoke well of him. One of his sons who I don't want to name is still at it on the home place.

• Advertisement

I think the point is that Fine Gael and the boys who run it now couldn't give a continental s**** about rural Ireland, farmers, anyone beyond the pale, anyone who doesn't talk with a D4 accent, anyone who doesn't do yoga or go running.

We were talking about it the other day. They don't need to care as they got the votes the last time out.

If you ask me that was what a weak has Fianna Fail led to. A more Dublin/urban skew than should be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I think the point is that Fine Gael and the boys who run it now couldn't give a continental s**** about rural Ireland, farmers, anyone beyond the pale, anyone who doesn't talk with a D4 accent, anyone who doesn't do yoga or go running.

We were talking about it the other day. They don't need to care as they got the votes the last time out.

If you ask me that was what a weak has Fianna Fail led to. A more Dublin/urban skew than should be the case.

More people live outside The Pale than in it , this sort of government thinking led to Brexit across the water.

As a small example we have a local man here who played rugby for Ireland many years ago when men were men and women were glad as he says himself. He does not go to any matches any more as he says the crowd at leinster matches are a shower of south Dublin eejits who are there for the beer and once leinster keep winning. He says go up the road to his club and you wouldn't get a team fielded but you will get 30000 gobs***** drinking heinken in the middle of winter on a wet Saturday afternoon because its the done thing. Maybe I am too old and maybe its what the young want but I am not so sure. Do we want a future where we leave our past and the countryside behind?

Time for us all who care about what it means to be really Irish to vote - am amazed at the amount of people who don't and for some organisation and its probably the GAA with the IFA shagged to start using its influence as a body a bit more at policy level.

that's my dinner hour rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Ive about 15 or 16 ready to go to the factory. One is over age and 2 more will be over age in 2 weeks.
    Asked my factory agent/lorry man what the best he can get for bullocks. He said €3.50/kg, i raised an eyebrow a said i thought €3.55/kg was available!.
    He laughted and said, does it really matter any more, were all fcuked at that price.
    Needless to say, I'll be holding onto them for 4 to 6 more week, they can add weight on grass and not much fear of tgem going fat.

Same man have over 80 bulls and he going banding them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Ive about 15 or 16 ready to go to the factory. One is over age and 2 more will be over age in 2 weeks.
    Asked my factory agent/lorry man what the best he can get for bullocks. He said €3.50/kg, i raised an eyebrow a said i thought €3.55/kg was available!.
    He laughted and said, does it really matter any more, were all fcuked at that price.
    Needless to say, I'll be holding onto them for 4 to 6 more week, they can add weight on grass and not much fear of tgem going fat.

Same man have over 80 bulls and he going banding them :)

Not very encouraging.
    I’m out of beef in another 12mts or so, or whenever I can find a victim to offload young stock. If said victim was to surface, I’d be out immediately.
    Eu beef can’t compete against SAmerican (etc) beef, less beef being consumed in EU and constant rising costs just doesn’t stack up...even though we produce our own calves, use all home produced feed and facilities.
    Shame as there’s feck all work in it, but enough is enough.
    Thing about beef is that it’s simple to jump back in if circumstances change...health scare in white meat etc.etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Not very encouraging.
    I’m out of beef in another 12mts or so, or whenever I can find a victim to offload young stock. If said victim was to surface, I’d be out immediately.
    Eu beef can’t compete against SAmerican (etc) beef, less beef being consumed in EU and constant rising costs just doesn’t stack up...even though we produce our own calves, use all home produced feed and facilities.
    Shame as there’s feck all work in it, but enough is enough.
    Thing about beef is that it’s simple to jump back in if circumstances change...health scare in white meat etc.etc.

I see the Africa swine fever? Is in Europe now, in wild boar population as well, has hit pigment availability in China hard I think. Could possibly give a boost to beef markets but whether farmer will see any of it is another question

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

The Brutons are still large cattle farmers in Meath

Have a huge block of winterage in the burren aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Have a huge block of winterage in the burren aswell.

around 180 I heard yrs ago would this be right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

lab man wrote: »
    around 180 I heard yrs ago would this be right

Would have around that many store bullocks there for the winter alright id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Back in focus
    Well written piece here:

News emerged yesterday that further slurry spreading restrictions will be phased in for heavily-stocked farmers. This followed the announcement – earlier in the week – of drastic recommendations from the Government’s Climate Change Advisory Council (CCAC), whereby the most dramatic measures call for a 53% cut in the national suckler herd.
    Don’t forget; it’s also a week in which solemn protests were mounted – to roll back on developments that will see 150 Bord na Móna workers (78 seasonal and 72 permanent) lose their jobs. Further anguish for other Bord na Móna staff, many of whom are involved in farming, looms large on the horizon.
    Collateral damage

All of this, apparently, is just part of the fall-out from the need to protect the environment and to combat climate change. In other words, we are encouraged to view this as collateral damage accruing from a bigger, loftier battle.
    We’ve heard such rhetoric before, of course. When lowly, anonymous civilians are killed in a drone strike in some wretched, war-torn country we’re told that it’s regrettable but ultimately part of a ‘bigger picture’ – an over-riding ambition that must trump all other considerations.
    Somewhat ironically, there was a growing sense among farmers and all of us in the wider agricultural sector here in Ireland that we needed to ‘do our bit’. Or at least that was the case until news of the much-maligned Mercusor trade deal broke cover.
    It brought about the realisation (or, perhaps more aptly, the reminder) that the responsibility to combat global climate change is not one that bears down equally on every citizen – or every nation.
    Instead, recent developments suggest that (climate change) mitigation strategies are, themselves, commodities to be traded…nothing more than leverage in a high-level political negotiation.
    Can countries like Brazil simply trade or barter their way out of the need to ‘do their bit’, while farmers here justifiably feel as if they are now being regulated out of existence?
    Preaching to the converted?

Predictably, the various farming organisations are jumping up and down; protestations of dismay are manifest across the airwaves.
    But are our representatives simply preaching to the converted? Is the wider electorate taking notice of the plight of Irish agriculture? Do most citizens – and, perhaps more to the point, most consumers – even care?
    The challenge facing those who lead – and those who have aspirations to lead – such organisations is how to convince a wider audience (not just those still involved in farming) that Irish agriculture is worth safeguarding – both as something that underpins the rural economy and as a ‘way of life’.
    We should make no bones about the former; and no apologies for the latter.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/the-week-that-was-is-irish-farming-now-a-bargaining-chip-in-a-climate-debate/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭older by the day

I suppose the only thing that would focus the people's mind on agriculture is food scarcity. Remember the snow and the slice pan rush.

I suppose the only thing that would focus the people's mind on agriculture is food scarcity. Remember the snow and the slice pan rush.

I don’t know, I don’t think irish people have a thing about buying irish - regardless of what the product is.

Was in England on holidays, and was surprised at the about of English produce, and the way it was marketed as English. It was a selling point, whereas here, you just wouldn’t see it as much...

I wonder if non-food is where we should be looking - how can we as farmers best fit into the new climate change and electricity generation model?
    Why do all generation options have to be so large scale they are only possible for large multinational companies?

What small scale generation models could work for farmers, maybe with the help of some farming body pushing a deal with the government for supply...
    What about biogas digesters - in areas of high dairy/pig concentration, could these be put in place. Again, we’d need some representative body to fight for this, and would need government support. But it could be something that could generate a return, and would it also take care of some of the nitrates issues for people?

It would be great to see some body (IFA, Teagasc / whoever) looking at alternatives or add-ons, and spring with the government to deliver proposals which could be incorporated into farms to boost income. I am not aware of anything like this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I don’t know, I don’t think irish people have a thing about buying irish - regardless of what the product is.

Was in England on holidays, and was surprised at the about of English produce, and the way it was marketed as English. It was a selling point, whereas here, you just wouldn’t see it as much...

I wonder if non-food is where we should be looking - how can we as farmers best fit into the new climate change and electricity generation model?
    Why do all generation options have to be so large scale they are only possible for large multinational companies?

What small scale generation models could work for farmers, maybe with the help of some farming body pushing a deal with the government for supply...
    What about biogas digesters - in areas of high dairy/pig concentration, could these be put in place. Again, we’d need some representative body to fight for this, and would need government support. But it could be something that could generate a return, and would it also take care of some of the nitrates issues for people?

It would be great to see some body (IFA, Teagasc / whoever) looking at alternatives or add-ons, and spring with the government to deliver proposals which could be incorporated into farms to boost income. I am not aware of anything like this happening?

Unfortunately our government is only interested in multinationals , they have had essentially no carbon policy up to now and will address it with a carbon tax and by aiding big money. Our national strategy has been tied to MNCs for 40 years and it so far has been successful and easy so it will not change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's been plenty of different projects put before the Government with the last 5 years in particular on microgeneration and biomass projects but all were received with little more that a pat on the head for the proposals. One of the difficulties would be planning permission being refused like in Lanesboro(?) where the roads were considered too poor to cater for the traffic.

In comparison the Germany, where a large percentage of farmers receive payment for generation, we're a long, long way behind and likely to fall altogether before the Government even looks at the idea.

There's been plenty of different projects put before the Government with the last 5 years in particular on microgeneration and biomass projects but all were received with little more that a pat on the head for the proposals. One of the difficulties would be planning permission being refused like in Lanesboro(?) where the roads were considered too poor to cater for the traffic.

In comparison the Germany, where a large percentage of farmers receive payment for generation, we're a long, long way behind and likely to fall altogether before the Government even looks at the idea.

Do you have any details / links on this Buford?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

The Gerrrrmans need to get their sh1t in order...literally.

“Le gouvernement fédéral allemand a reçu une lettre de mise en demeure de la part de la Commission européenne. Bruxelles menace de poursuivre le pays devant la justice si aucune proposition concrète n’est formulée dans les deux mois pour diminuer la pollution des eaux par les nitrates.”

http://www.lafranceagricole.fr/actualites/gestion-et-droit/nitrates-lue-donne-2-mois-alallemagne-pour-se-conformer-aux-regles-europeennes-1,8,2745499841.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Do you have any details / links on this Buford?

Just the general discussions at County Exec meetings. From the last meeting, the payback for solar panels on a dairy farm is reduced from 8 years with the TAMS grant to 4 years if the excess production is paid for by the ESB at a standard rate, or something along those lines.

There has been numerous efforts to encourage legislation to allow paying for excess feed in from small producers but the Government isn't being very proactive on showing if it will ever be paid for in the future. Once there is a timeframe in place, farmers could be sourcing the panels to be ready for installation. I would have the capacity for a good few panels in a new shed here but without a feed in payment, it's pointless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The slow bull beef trade for the last few months has had one positive for me anyway. A little angus KOd at 449kg and graded U3 at u24 months. Haven't seen the cheque yet though.....If I had a few more like that I might be able to clear the meal bill:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As a matter of interest, how much actual meat would be on such a carcass?
    For example Whelans (owned by Dunnes) have dry aged burgers selling at €14/Kg.
    This is for the cheapest cuts of meat. Say a meat yield of 60% is 270 Kg.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how much actual meat would be on such a carcass?
    For example Whelans (owned by Dunnes) have dry aged burgers selling at €14/Kg.
    This is for the cheapest cuts of meat. Say a meat yield of 60% is 270 Kg.

14 euro per kilo...I'll get my coat!...These prices have to be highlighted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement