Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Good loser wrote: »
    No,no,no. Sure to make things worse if anything.

I want to move stock this week.

On its own the fall of sterling against the euro has taken 14c/kg off the base price in the last two weeks. You're in Brexit land now!

Exactly. So it’s the drop in sterling that’s being passed to the farmer this week. My blood boils on this crap - every single thing is passed to the farmers. Why can’t retailers and processors take the hit.

And oh, I have cattle that I desperately need to go this week too. But not at the expense of the future of beef farmers or what’s left of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Good loser

Dunedin wrote: »
    Exactly. So it’s the drop in sterling that’s being passed to the farmer this week. My blood boils on this crap - every single thing is passed to the farmers. Why can’t retailers and processors take the hit.

And oh, I have cattle that I desperately need to go this week too. But not at the expense of the future of beef farmers or what’s left of them.

Retailers, processors and farmers (that includes me) all buy for as cheap as possible and sell for as much as possible. That's the way it is - in the past, the present and the future. And no amount of protesting, striking, blockading etc will make a blind bit of difference.

The market rules in this business and if you don't like it do something else.

If the price went to €4 /kg as some suggest I would flog every beast in to the factory (fit or not) as fast as possible. If there was a free for all there would be miles of queues for each plant.

In my opinion the net effect of these protests will more likely be to be lower returns rather than increase them. That is what I expect to happen in my own case.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

The market rules in this business and if you don't like it do something else

Are you happy that the market is a Cartel that pays virtually the same price across supposed independent companies? Amazing how they manage that fairly isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Retailers, processors and farmers (that includes me) all buy for as cheap as possible and sell for as much as possible. That's the way it is - in the past, the present and the future. And no amount of protesting, striking, blockading etc will make a blind bit of difference.

The market rules in this business and if you don't like it do something else.

If the price went to €4 /kg as some suggest I would flog every beast in to the factory (fit or not) as fast as possible. If there was a free for all there would be miles of queues for each plant.

In my opinion the net effect of these protests will more likely be to be lower returns rather than increase them. That is what I expect to happen in my own case.

The above statement is pure nonsense. If everyone had these views no business would exist.
    The beef process & retail industry is toxic. Farmers are been ripped of for years. Time for the industry to be shuck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

That comment about it being the market and like it or get out is wrong.

The current distortion goes back to the Common Agricultural Policy introduced post WW2 when Europe was starving.

If all groups had played reasonably fairly since then all parts of the supply chain from farmer to retailer would be fairly compensated.

Only what has happened in the past 30 years is that retailers and processors have taken advantage of their size and consolidation opposite small fragmented farmers who lets face were behind the game in getting organized.

Retailers and processors have shaped policy, subsidies formats and have brought mass consumers food in volumes at low prices.

Net result is they’re taking the profits available and the farmer is kept on life support through state subsidies.

How Governments allowed tax payers money to end up indirectly in the pockets of these groups across Europe is the scandal. Instead consumers living in cities only hear farmers getting free handouts. They can’t make the connection between that and cheap food in their highly profitable local retailer.

People have forgetter that food is not a god given right to be bought for the lowest price on a shelf. God forbid and I’m not wishing that might take another event on a scale of WW2 to remind people of that but it will take something of a serious nature to rebalance things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

By the way local buyer here told one of the lads to wait til the pickets die down and prices are going to get some hidin in the back end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭kk.man

Heard 3.45 for bullocks....

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭manjou

The current distortion goes back to the Common Agricultural Policy introduced post WW2 when Europe was starving.

If all groups had played reasonably fairly since then all parts of the supply chain from farmer to retailer would be fairly compensated.

Only what has happened in the past 30 years is that retailers and processors have taken advantage of their size and consolidation opposite small fragmented farmers who lets face were behind the game in getting organized.

Retailers and processors have shaped policy, subsidies formats and have brought mass consumers food in volumes at low prices.

Net result is they’re taking the profits available and the farmer is kept on life support through state subsidies.

How Governments allowed tax payers money to end up indirectly in the pockets of these groups across Europe is the scandal. Instead consumers living in cities only hear farmers getting free handouts. They can’t make the connection between that and cheap food in their highly profitable local retailer.

People have forgetter that food is not a god given right to be bought for the lowest price on a shelf. God forbid and I’m not wishing that might take another event on a scale of WW2 to remind people of that but it will take something of a serious nature to rebalance things.
    as my grandfather used to day a good war or famine is needed to remind people

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Heard €3:45 to Larry wouldn’t give more and going to send them to 3:20 by the next meeting
    Where going to get punished for protesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭amacca

Duke92 wrote: »
    Heard €3:45 to Larry wouldn’t give more and going to send them to 3:20 by the next meeting

That personally would make my blood boil to the point of cutting off my nose to spite my face

**** em......were not not naughty children to be punished.....if its the case I hope people don't take it lying down.

I hope people stick the boot into the system when they get the opportunity like its been doing to the primary producer for the last number of decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Who2

He can’t exactly back track and say, hey I can give you e4 this week, I’m very very sorry for putting you in this situation and I promise I’ll never do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

They gave 3:50 on Monday
    Because of the talks
    Have 40 left 20 probably fit so I’ll let them off
    Just so sick of it
    I taught they might have steadied them at 3:50 you’d think that was bad enough

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If they drop it to 3 20 time to block everything coming out or in, for weeks to come.

If they want to close us, we might as well go down throwing a bit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭White Clover

Duke92 wrote: »

They were rattled last week, if they even think of 3.20, they're deluded.
    They're going around begging for cattle. Hold your ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭older by the day

Problem is the likes of Larry are millionaires. Your not going to hurt them. We can't put pressure on him. Even if he got no cattle til xmass. He can lay off everyone and it wouldn't dent his pockets. The TDS are the ones to hurt. Protest outside there homes and offices. They will either lose there jobs or sort it. It's amazing the power they have when they are pressurized

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Problem is the likes of Larry are millionaires. Your not going to hurt them. We can't put pressure on him. Even if he got no cattle til xmass. He can lay off everyone and it wouldn't dent his pockets. The TDS are the ones to hurt. Protest outside there homes and offices. They will either lose there jobs or sort it. It's amazing the power they have when they are pressurized

I'd imagine he has contracts to fill though which he doesn't want to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭older by the day

I'd imagine he has contracts to fill though which he doesn't want to lose.

We don't want to lose contracts either. I'm all for the protest and we need a margin. But the politicians and press don't give a Shiite about the protest because it didn't effect them

Larry and co have built empires out of the meat business since he left school and fair play to him and the rest. This is the business they eat, drink and sleep. Blood sweat and tears went into the great multinationals that they are. No other business will or could give those people as much satisfaction as the ones which made them what they are. They have diversified yes but none of the diversification is as profitable as their meat businesses. They aquired these ventures like any good business to have 'eggs in different baskets' in case things go south.

Let me tell you, it did hurt, farmers were gaining such momention last week it scared them for the first time in many a year. How long have you been hearing about cold stores packed? Yet the McD contract with Dawn was looking under pressure. Burgers are made from the cheapest and most plentiful meat on an animal. The spin was and is unreal and exposed. They do care.

They were on the rack and shouldn't be allowed forget it.

Are you happy that the market is a Cartel that pays virtually the same price across supposed independent companies? Amazing how they manage that fairly isn't it.

So you're calling it a conspiracy? That's always the weakest of arguments.

If factory A pays 5 cent more than factory B stock move there (they are mobile!). If A pays 5cent less than B they desert A.

In that manner the price is always equalizing. The surprise would be if it wasn't.

I'm 45 years in this business and it was always ruled by the market except when there was intervention and export refunds.

Currently the BPS is in play to cope with market fluctuations. We were spoiled for years as the price didn't fall as expected when the BPS system came in.

The currency was 85 pence/euro in the Spring and 93 pence now (94 at weekend); that's around 10%. 10% of €3.75 gives a 37.5 cent reduction.

Some think the pound will fall to parity with the Euro before the end of the year.

Naturally factories don't want trouble or disruption. But they can't gainsay the currency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What can politicians do exactly?

Influence Europe...why do meat ompanies pay donations to political parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kk.man wrote: »
    Influence Europe...why do meat ompanies pay donations to political parties?

So your meps? Like mick wallace? A proven tax thief?
    I don't know why meat companies pay donations to political parties
    I don't think the politicians can force the factories to pay more for cattle tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭White Clover

One thing they could do is bring the competition authority before an oireachtas committee for investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm 45 years in this business and it was always ruled by the market except when there was intervention and export refunds.

Currently the BPS is in play to cope with market fluctuations. We were spoiled for years as the price didn't fall as expected when the BPS system came in.

The currency was 85 pence/euro in the Spring and 93 pence now (94 at weekend); that's around 10%. 10% of €3.75 gives a 37.5 cent reduction.

Some think the pound will fall to parity with the Euro before the end of the year.

Naturally factories don't want trouble or disruption. But they can't gainsay the currency.

Very true, If factories were getting €10/kg in britain 3mths ago they are now only getting €9/kg, they still have to pay the same wages, transport and running costs, they can't cut these by 10%

So your meps? Like mick wallace? A proven tax thief?
    I don't know why meat companies pay donations to political parties
    I don't think the politicians can force the factories to pay more for cattle tbh

No they can't force them to pay more but they could make life very difficult for them. Meat ompanies would not be concerned with independent in general. It's well known they have given finna fail and fine Gael huge sums of money in the past. I bet if you foi it you would confirm it's still going on.
    Also didn't it do Larry no harm when he got into trouble. He knocked on Charlie's door and it worked the other way too. When cnd foods went on fire ...who was first to the rescue?

I tell ya these boys should have been kerry men in a former life!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Danzy wrote: »
    If they drop it to 3 20 time to block everything coming out or in, for weeks to come.

If they want to close us, we might as well go down throwing a bit back.

Lads would want to get real if any factory cut by 5c/kg next week we should protest at that factory again. ICSA made a telling point Competition authority were fartng around we are not allowed to negotiate on price. producers are allowed as long as they do not control more than 15% of the cattle kill. Its unlikly that BP controls more than 15% as its mostly smaller finishers and suckler farmers that are members. Anyway a local producer could be set up to protest locally

It a matter of know how to act the bollax
    So you're calling it a conspiracy? That's always the weakest of arguments.

If factory A pays 5 cent more than factory B stock move there (they are mobile!). If A pays 5cent less than B they desert A.

In that manner the price is always equalizing. The surprise would be if it wasn't.

I would not move cattle 40-50km extra for 5c/kg. 3c/kg is usually the cost of the extra transport. Yes it is a cartel when selected finishers and there own feedlots are getting 20-30c/kg extra. The onlt time there is competition is when numbers drop below 30K

You have a big gra for BPS. That would be grand is it was the same rate/farmer or if it was a rate/animal. It is not it is an income support that is variable across the agri industry. You fail to account that as well the UK retail price has gone up by 10 in the last 12 months. By the look of it most contracts are rolling 3-6 months contracts. As well most larger companies protect themselves by hedging against currency fluctuation. At most it is effecting them by 10-15c/kg if even that.

Its an open secret that they want to collapse the store price to encourage finishers to fill shed. Wake up and smell the coffee. Over the last 3-4 years it has been summer grazing men that have kept a base under autumn the idea is to wipe out there margin this year. Its suits loads of larger finishers taht this will happen.

How often have we heard this summer store price is too dear, there price is crazy etc etc
    wrangler wrote: »
    Very true, If factories were getting €10/kg in britain 3mths ago they are now only getting €9/kg, they still have to pay the same wages, transport and running costs, they can't cut these by 10%

We have meal , fertlizer, contractor and other bills neither can we.

Slava Ukrainii

Lads would want to get real if any factory cut by 5c/kg next week we should protest at that factory again. ICSA made a telling point Competition authority were fartng around we are not allowed to negotiate on price. producers are allowed as long as they do not control more than 15% of the cattle kill. Its unlikly that BP controls more than 15% as its mostly smaller finishers and suckler farmers that are members. Anyway a local producer could be set up to protest locally

It a matter of know how to act the bollax

I would not move cattle 40-50km extra for 5c/kg. 3c/kg is usually the cost of the extra transport. Yes it is a cartel when selected finishers and there own feedlots are getting 20-30c/kg extra. The onlt time there is competition is when numbers drop below 30K

You have a big gra for BPS. That would be grand is it was the same rate/farmer or if it was a rate/animal. It is not it is an income support that is variable across the agri industry. You fail to account that as well the UK retail price has gone up by 10 in the last 12 months. By the look of it most contracts are rolling 3-6 months contracts. As well most larger companies protect themselves by hedging against currency fluctuation. At most it is effecting them by 10-15c/kg if even that.

Its an open secret that they want to collapse the store price to encourage finishers to fill shed. Wake up and smell the coffee. Over the last 3-4 years it has been summer grazing men that have kept a base under autumn the idea is to wipe out there margin this year. Its suits loads of larger finishers taht this will happen.

How often have we heard this summer store price is too dear, there price is crazy etc etc

We have meal , fertlizer, contractor and other bills neither can we.

I agree if they pull again. On the gates we go. No justification for a price pull just pure greed and bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

One thing they could do is bring the competition authority before an oireachtas committee for investigation.

Public service investigating public service ?????????

What do you think.

Inland Revenue were in investigating the small business tent on SUnday Morning in tullamore show, shower of ffffff.ers

There's nothing they wouldn't stoop to

Public service are no friend of the self employed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

kk.man wrote: »
    Larry and co have built empires out of the meat business since he left school and fair play to him and the rest. This is the business they eat, drink and sleep. Blood sweat and tears went into the great multinationals that they are. No other business will or could give those people as much satisfaction as the ones which made them what they are. They have diversified yes but none of the diversification is as profitable as their meat businesses. They aquired these ventures like any good business to have 'eggs in different baskets' in case things go south.

Let me tell you, it did hurt, farmers were gaining such momention last week it scared them for the first time in many a year. How long have you been hearing about cold stores packed? Yet the McD contract with Dawn was looking under pressure. Burgers are made from the cheapest and most plentiful meat on an animal. The spin was and is unreal and exposed. They do care.

They were on the rack and shouldn't be allowed forget it.

well said

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement