Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Just the general discussions at County Exec meetings. From the last meeting, the payback for solar panels on a dairy farm is reduced from 8 years with the TAMS grant to 4 years if the excess production is paid for by the ESB at a standard rate, or something along those lines.

There has been numerous efforts to encourage legislation to allow paying for excess feed in from small producers but the Government isn't being very proactive on showing if it will ever be paid for in the future. Once there is a timeframe in place, farmers could be sourcing the panels to be ready for installation. I would have the capacity for a good few panels in a new shed here but without a feed in payment, it's pointless.

I was in Germany with IFA nearly twenty years ago and on a farm with a biodigester driving two big engines producing electricity, think it was 1000hp between the two.
    The point is that their price was 24c/KWhr and ours, if you could get it into the grid, was 9c. I remember the IFA guy commenting that the envronment was too important now to be in the hands the Dept. of the Environment .
    How right he was. Civil servants here are destroying this country.
    Not only were they producing the elctricity but they were containing the warm air from the engines and pumping it through a timber drying kiln

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No integrated thinking. Another example, within the one Dept is, those that drew up the spec for the Glas Scheme had no connection or talk with those in charge of the Organic Section.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Water John wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how much actual meat would be on such a carcass?

Expect it to be above 70%. However it is bull beef and the carcase is 450kgs. The striploin, fillet, to eye and sirloins would be massive in size and too big for individual portion's

Slava Ukrainii

Bass, back in the day I remember AIBP getting a yield well over 70% in carcass going to intervention, but according to the Tribunal, Larry knew nothing about that!!

Yes steak portion size is a problem with larger carcass. Organic certainly don't want any BB.
    Would the future market be better looking to AA Xand HE X? Is there enough of a market for it?

Bass, back in the day I remember AIBP getting a yield well over 70% in carcass going to intervention, but according to the Tribunal, Larry knew nothing about that!!

Yes steak portion size is a problem with larger carcass. Organic certainly don't want any BB.
    Would the future market be better looking to AA Xand HE X? Is there enough of a market for it?

R grade Continental heifers used to be at around 72/73% kill out if I remember from figures about 15 years ago. There is 71% and 76% but averaging over 79% across all cattle in Ireland would be a miracle 30 years ago. Steak size is the big issue the premium over all other beef is 2-300%

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

wrangler wrote: »
    I was in Germany with IFA nearly twenty years ago and on a farm with a biodigester driving two big engines producing electricity, think it was 1000hp between the two.
    The point is that their price was 24c/KWhr and ours, if you could get it into the grid, was 9c. I remember the IFA guy commenting that the envronment was too important now to be in the hands the Dept. of the Environment .
    How right he was. Civil servants here are destroying this country.
    Not only were they producing the elctricity but they were containing the warm air from the engines and pumping it through a timber drying kiln

Ive being work on and building digesters for nearly a decade now. Also a part time beef farmer.
    The beef industry needs to reduce supply/numbers going to the gactory. To do this, beef farmers neeed an alternative enterprise and if there was a viable small scale Biogas industry would, this could be the alternative.
    But i honestly dont think the government have any interest in spending money on a Biogas industry or helping the beef industry.

Sending 3 or 4 bullocks in this week... its a sad state of affairs when im hoping for €3.50/kg :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Ive being work on and building digesters for nearly a decade now. Also a part time beef farmer.
    The beef industry needs to reduce supply/numbers going to the gactory. To do this, beef farmers neeed an alternative enterprise and if there was a viable small scale Biogas industry would, this could be the alternative.
    But i honestly dont think the government have any interest in spending money on a Biogas industry or helping the beef industry.

Sending 3 or 4 bullocks in this week... its a sad state of affairs when im hoping for €3.50/kg :(

That german farmer was buying fodder beet and silage even for that digester so the neighbours were getting a boost too in that they were getting more than the price for animal feed
    A friend who was self employed has gone to the public service lately, he tells me he has to find his low gear now,
    Them and the Government should be fecked out

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Homer jay

Any r grade cow prices for next week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How could we twist back on central government in the EU .They basically want top quality food produced for zilch and then on top of this tax the fuk out of farmers for producing carbon .The EU is a basket case with no extra carbon tax on high emission airlines etc but Agriculture it seems is a soft touch .
    Shame on Phil Hogan who basically has thrown farmers under the bus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

R grade Continental heifers used to be at around 72/73% kill out if I remember from figures about 15 years ago. There is 71% and 76% but averaging over 79% across all cattle in Ireland would be a miracle 30 years ago. Steak size is the big issue the premium over all other beef is 2-300%

I presume you mean boning out % of the carcase weight? Best kill out rate I've had is 61% for bulls.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Yeah, boning out meat yield from carcass. There were some great miracles during the intervention days. Should also remember the nights as that's when the lads were locked in to rejig the boxes.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I presume you mean boning out % of the carcase weight? Best kill out rate I've had is 61% for bulls.
    yes boned out rate was what we were on about

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

How long do people usually have to wait for a cheque from dawn meats? Killed cattle last Tuesday and nothing yet

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    How long do people usually have to wait for a cheque from dawn meats? Killed cattle last Tuesday and nothing yet

Have you rang them. I would have expected it Thursday or Friday

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

Have you rang them. I would have expected it Thursday or Friday

Can’t get anyone to answer the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

Can’t get anyone to answer the phone

Probably not a good day with the strike..they might have given workers their holidays today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ballyhaunis, could be 10 days to a fortnight for cattle, 2 days later with sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Dawn Mays Charleville can be 10 days. Often go pick it up when ready, just not to let the bastards have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KAMG

Usually takes a week exactly. The one time I rang complaining about cattle grades, it took 12 days. Some shower aren't they.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What price per kilo would an AU bull killed at 15 months have reached?
    I see on ICBF the one I sold at 12 months was killed and wondering what he made from the carcass weight? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I see on ICBF the one I sold at 12 months was killed and wondering what he made from the carcass weight? Thanks
    340 onto grid if under 420 maybe 400kg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Young bull prices were 3.50-3.60 a few weeks ago but have slipped to 3.20 for O's to 3.50 for U's last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

Base price wrote: »
    Young bull prices were 3.50-3.60 a few weeks ago but have slipped to 3.20 for O's to 3.50 for U's last week.
    U16 would be on grid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ball park 3.50/kg. What weight was he SB? If he had enough fat cover there might have been 12c QA on top of that.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

A rise of €1/Kg in the price of retail beef would rise the dead weight price from €3.50 to €4.10.

He killed out as U=2+ and had a carcass weight of 390kg.
    When I sold him in April he was 370kg and I sold him for 700e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I got €3.80 a kg for an under 16 month bull of the same grade last week. So he would have got €1480 before deductions. The man that bought him put 280kg on him going by my calculations and that is some going because He would have only fed him for 100 days roughly and put over €300 of meal in him. Looks like You sold him cheap I’m afraid.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I got €3.80 a kg for an under 16 month bull of the same grade last week. So he would have got €1480 before deductions. The man that bought him put 280kg on him going by my calculations and that is some going because He would have only fed him for 100 days roughly and put over €300 of meal in him. Looks like You sold him cheap I’m afraid.

Thanks for info. That was fierce weight to put on him!
    Yeah I was disappointed with what I got for him that day but that's the mart for us now!

He have grossed 1420 euro approx at a base of 3.55. may be one of the few bulls the buyer will have a bit of a margin on. He have weighted about 689 at slaughter. Buyer put 200kgs on him on him in 90-100 days. Now he may have weighted poorly in the mart if he was there all day and mixed with strange cattle. He would have cost about 400 in feed costs depending on what buyer is paying for ration and straw. Vet, mortality, transport as well as Mart and slaughter fees would eat another 50 euro.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

A rise of €1/Kg in the price of retail beef would rise the dead weight price from €3.50 to €4.10.
    It wouldn't take a lot to boost our price if it came back to us of course. Even €2 on retail beef wouldn't be killing anyone for all the kilos we buy in a week. I'd like to see BB doing a bit on this side of things

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement