Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You haven't a number for Thady Quill have you?

Think he is on the Cork hurling board now.

His expertise with wild beasts was in demand with Limerick so strong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

John Gleeson who wrote it, was a cousin of mine. He can't help you either as he died in 1924.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

Shame. Sounds like Thady Quill should be writing the books for Teagasc and the IFJ!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Remember when Patrick Kavanagh wrote for the IFJ. What he have to say now? It isn't just the, stony grey soil that can't provide a living anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

20190716-204516.jpg

20190716-203947.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Fine Day

You will see a lot places let go over the next number of years. The next generation aren't that bothered about it from what I can see.

Around us there isn't a sign of anyone coming back to take over. All in Dublin with good jobs. You'd be lucky to see them a few times a year.

Land prices going one way.

Not sure if i agree with you on land prices going down. Seems to be making lots still. With alot more planting expected to happen & nitrates drastically to be reduced I cant see good quality land dropping that much. People getting carried away with them selves we are not all shutting up & sticking up a for sale signs. Our fathers & fathers before them got through hard times also. Agricultural will still go on in Ireland. Food security is too important to Ireland & Europe special with a growing population. Just my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Theheff wrote: »
    Not sure if i agree with you on land prices going down. Seems to be making lots still. With alot more planting expected to happen & nitrates drastically to be reduced I cant see good quality land dropping that much. People getting carried away with them selves we are not all shutting up & sticking up a for sale signs. Our fathers & fathers before them got through hard times also. Agricultural will still go on in Ireland. Food security is too important to Ireland & Europe special with a growing population. Just my thoughts.

I agree with the land prices, the growth of the population wil be in the older generation, not the biggest meat eaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Jb1989

148multi wrote: »

I agree with the land prices, the growth of the population wil be in the older generation, not the biggest meat eaters.

Always a for and against, older generation may eat more meat than the new vegan younger generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

An increase in forestry won't lead to higher land prices, you have to remember there is tonnes of land out there

Land has been far too expensive for far too long, it will get repriced like any other asset and with a major shake up of the loss making beef sector, this has already begun, outside the intensive dairy regions, land is not selling for much more than 5 k an acre

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    An increase in forestry won't lead to higher land prices, you have to remember there is tonnes of land out there

Land has been far too expensive for far too long, it will get repriced like any other asset and with a major shake up of the loss making beef sector, this has already begun, outside the intensive dairy regions, land is not selling for much more than 5 k an acre

Where and what quality of land is making €5/acre?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Saw that if the Chinese eat beef at the same level as Americans per capita , they would take the entire global export market.

If, isn't much help now though.

Where and what quality of land is making €5/acre?

Midlands, connacht, Cavan, Clare

Quality of land is irrelevant, cattle farming can't even support 5 k, if supports are reduced drastically,prices will only go one way

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Since when has the quality of land being irrelevant?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Since when has the quality of land being irrelevant?

Within the context of more land being planted in trees going forward as the other poster said

That in itself won't stop prices falling, plenty of cattle reared in non dairy regions where the land is still decent, if cattle becomes completely non viable, that good land won't remain at the price it currently commands even it ends up in trees

• Registered Users Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There are a few things that dictate land prices. It is Hard to see good land prices fall as far as or below 5K/acre. In general Forestry prices are about 4-5K/acre on rushy land. However other things dictate land prices such as distance from urban centers, distance to the sea,accessibility,view etc. etc. Cattle are not the be all and end all of land prices.Dairying will still require land not just for dairying but for silage, crops and rearing heifers. Just farming the basic payments will put a floor under prices anyway.

At 6-7K/acre a 30 acre holding would cost around the 200k mark this is within the price range of a couple with a good income that is will to build a modest house or do up the house/cottage already on the property. There will always be people who will make lifestyle choices if lads was available at that money. A few horse's, a pony and a few sheep or cattle. You will get lads willing to have a few acres and rear either pedigree or rare breed cattle. Land with in a distance of urban centers will always have a base of 6-7K or maybe higher. Land adjacent to dairying area's will also always have a certain base value.

As well at present we are in a price trough it will not last for ever. As a lad said to me last night Beef price often surprises you it can change very fast. As well as suckler numbers drop beef prices will rise.

Slava Ukrainii

Your probably right on the beef price Bass over the longer term but I guess the question is will they come back to a price that will bring young people into the sector or will it just be enough to keep those of us at from not going bust?

On land prices though I do think they'll drop in line with wider European averages as CAP payments decline over the next decade. Sure land within commuting distance of cities will always have a value aswell as being beside big neighbours or in good dairy areas. But the whole country cant go dairy so for the rest hard to see it holding the 10k acre quoted by the IFJ.

Your probably right on the beef price Bass over the longer term but I guess the question is will they come back to a price that will bring young people into the sector or will it just be enough to keep those of us at from not going bust?

On land prices though I do think they'll drop in line with wider European averages as CAP payments decline over the next decade. Sure land within commuting distance of cities will always have a value aswell as being beside big neighbours or in good dairy areas. But the whole country cant go dairy so for the rest hard to see it holding the 10k acre quoted by the IFJ.

I cannot see fairly decent land going sub 5K/acre either.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TL17

Danzy wrote:
    Saw that if the Chinese eat beef at the same level as Americans per capita , they would take the entire global export market.

Was reading about big cull in Argentinian cows to supply the Chinese. They need the cash as they cant borrow money.

There are a few things that dictate land prices. It is Hard to see good land prices fall as far as or below 5K/acre. In general Forestry prices are about 4-5K/acre on rushy land. However other things dictate land prices such as distance from urban centers, distance to the sea,accessibility,view etc. etc. Cattle are not the be all and end all of land prices.Dairying will still require land not just for dairying but for silage, crops and rearing heifers. Just farming the basic payments will put a floor under prices anyway.

At 6-7K/acre a 30 acre holding would cost around the 200k mark this is within the price range of a couple with a good income that is will to build a modest house or do up the house/cottage already on the property. There will always be people who will make lifestyle choices if lads was available at that money. A few horse's, a pony and a few sheep or cattle. You will get lads willing to have a few acres and rear either pedigree or rare breed cattle. Land with in a distance of urban centers will always have a base of 6-7K or maybe higher. Land adjacent to dairying area's will also always have a certain base value.

As well at present we are in a price trough it will not last for ever. As a lad said to me last night Beef price often surprises you it can change very fast. As well as suckler numbers drop beef prices will rise.

Why would a couple spend 200k on thirty acres in order to build a house, add to that there is the issue of one off housing which is frowned upon more and more

As for land being required for subsidies, no one knows what the mechanics of that will be going forward

I don't think land in Mitchelstown will be 5k in ten years but the average price of land in most non intensive dairying regions might well be, no one knows if dairying will continue to expand either

Tonne of unknowns, land will never ever reach 2006 prices again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anyone got actual prices for this week? I got 3.45 for cull cows this time last year for cull cows, almost at that for bullocks now.:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Last year the weather took 20cent off my margin and between Larry and previous autumn store prices I was left with zilch. This years cattle cost less and it’s been a great year of grass but the 30 cut from Larry and the retailers has put the benefit into their pocket. I love cattle but I can’t flog a dead horse forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Fine Day

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anyone got actual prices for this week? I got 3.45 for cull cows this time last year for cull cows, almost at that for bullocks now.:(

Heifers 3.65 & bullocks 3.55. Thats this weeks. God knows next week. All I know is be very carefull buying in stores as I am sure they will be alot cheaper later in the year.

Slaney 3.55 and Kildare Chilling talking 3.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

TL17 wrote: »
    Was reading about big cull in Argentinian cows to supply the Chinese. They need the cash as they cant borrow money.

Interest rates of 60% on loans as well:eek:

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Why would a couple spend 200k on thirty acres in order to build a house, add to that there is the issue of one off housing which is frowned upon more and more

As for land being required for subsidies, no one knows what the mechanics of that will be going forward

I don't think land in Mitchelstown will be 5k in ten years but the average price of land in most non intensive dairying regions might well be, no one knows if dairying will continue to expand either

Tonne of unknowns, land will never ever reach 2006 prices again

I agree that a lot of land sold in the mid noughties and again over the 12 months may struggle to hit that price again. Yes one off housing is getting harder to get planning and to build on. But site value is still above 60 and hitting above 80-100K in places. This makes smaller holding better value. Land within 5 miles of a motorway will always have a certain attraction to people with good incomes that can afford the lifestyle. Even if dairying fails to expand further there are plans in the pipelin to increase the Nitrates og a dairy cow to 100kg/head and as well to reduce nitrate derogation levels as well. Increasing it to from 80-100kgs/hrad will mean loads of dairy farmers would need to take action to keep heard size static.

Land ast 6-7K is very attractive to lads that have an outside income and are willing to expand. At 6-7K I be buying myself

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Stabliser cross suckler cow 850kg live killed 432kg 3.20kg 1330 euro after deductions
    Might be a little out on the ko weight only glanced at the sheet on the way out the door

423kg deadweight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

I see forestry with 20yr old trees at 1.5-3k an acre ?? What's going on there?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

lalababa wrote: »
    I see forestry with 20yr old trees at 1.5-3k an acre ?? What's going on there?

Forestry payment finished, going to cost more to thin it now than thinnings are worth. Could be another 20 years before it's clear felled.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

I got same quote from Slaney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭morphy87

Was talking to a man at the weekend that fattens a good few cattle and was going to start selling this week but he told me his agent said wait a month,this man don’t usually make too many mistakes so hopefully the thing might start to pick up then, but you would imagine numbers should start increasing then, or maybe they will start increasing them then so it might give some encouragement to the winter finishers to start purchasing,know two men that won’t be buying this year for definite, and know a third big finisher that is completely getting out off beef altogether,bought the last of his cattle last November,going dairying said he won’t ever be seen in a mart again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement