Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Bullocks wrote: »
    It wouldn't take a lot to boost our price if it came back to us of course. Even €2 on retail beef wouldn't be killing anyone for all the kilos we buy in a week. I'd like to see BB doing a bit on this side of things

I saw an article in either the FJ or FI about 4-6 weeks ago. Retail price in the UK has gone up by about 10% on the last 12 months while farmers price has gone down by 20-30% in the last 2 years

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's the point of it. Same story with the €4 chicken, farmer was getting less than 50c to rear it. If the chicken was €4.50, you'd still buy it and the farmer would have a €1.
    From my past business experience, I put this mainly down to middle management. They'd save a cent to justify their job.
    We're talking about Fairtrade, for the Irish farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

3.45 for next week. Was talking to agent this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

whelan2 wrote: »
    3.45 for next week. Was talking to agent this evening

Steers?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Steers?

Yes he was saying lads are losing around €250 on each one being killed atm on last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Bullocks wrote: »
    It wouldn't take a lot to boost our price if it came back to us of course. Even €2 on retail beef wouldn't be killing anyone for all the kilos we buy in a week. I'd like to see BB doing a bit on this side of things

Reminds me of a quote from Pat McDonagh of Supermacs in 2018 saying that an increase of 7cents for him on the price he paid for a 5oz burger was worth 50c/kg to the processor. (Probably nothing passed back to farmer no doubt).

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Seeing reports on WhatsApp that individuals have been offered €4/kg for cattle since disruption from the BeefPlan protests. Doubt they're making a loss at that, if true...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

Please do not send cattle on lorry to Pass picket
    United we stand divided we fall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

Rang a big finisher last night. He told me they paying 3.40 for steers this week and no-one is getting sweat heard deals.

He is not sending cattle till this protest is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,383 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

kk.man wrote: »
    Rang a big finisher last night. He told me they paying 3.40 for steers this week and no-one is getting sweat heard deals.

He is not sending cattle till this protest is over.

Gonna be a case of whos first to blink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭southkilkenny

Much bigger numbers and protestors outside Dawn Grannagh close to Waterford city today. Lorries on side of road approaching factory. Even lorries parked in centre ghost island not going or being let in. 4 squad cars and 5-6 cops around also.

Much bigger numbers and protestors outside Dawn Grannagh close to Waterford city today. Lorries on side of road approaching factory. Even lorries parked in centre ghost island not going or being let in. 4 squad cars and 5-6 cops around also.

What are the rules about livestock in transit , how long can they stay in the lorries for?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »
    What are the rules about livestock in transit , how long can they stay in the lorries for?

7/8 hours I think and factories know this and are using it as a ploy to try get cattle in ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mahoney_j wrote: »
    7/8 hours I think and factories know this and are using it as a ploy to try get cattle in ...

In fairness, the hauliers know this as well and the onus would be on them to make sure they can get the cattle back to where they came from before their time runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

In fairness, the hauliers know this as well and the onus would be on them to make sure they can get the cattle back to where they came from before their time runs out.

I thought they can’t be stopped from entering the factories?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Cavanjack wrote: »

I thought they can’t be stopped from entering the factories?
    In theory they cannot be but they are using it as a tactic to get past protest's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

Any quotes for next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

"No Surrender" :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Dunedin

"No Surrender" :D

Keeping Monday night free in the diary

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Agent told me 3.40 for bullocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A friend told us that the factory he supplies pulled the price of o and p grading cows by 10c/kg on Friday. The factory was not picketed by the Beef Plan.

morphy87 wrote: »
    3 40 I suppose they want us now to take the hit to compensate them for the high prices that were given to the scabs to cross the pickets during the week

I think it’s related to the drop in price of shoe polish in Peru which has to be passed on to the farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

They should not be supplied cattle at that price.

Totally agree and it has to be back to the pickets Monday night at this price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭High bike

they shouldn’t have got cattle at 3.45 last week but they did

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

High bike wrote: »
    they shouldn’t have got cattle at 3.45 last week but they did

The protest doesn’t have a leg to stand on until cattle supplies to factories stop completely but I can never see that happen so the factories will continue to drop the price.

Just for context. Same agent quoted my dad the Friday before the protest started, 3.40 for the week the protest started.... if ya get what I mean.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just for context. Same agent quoted my dad the Friday before the protest started, 3.40 for the week the protest started.... if ya get what I mean.
    What did the lad you hadn't dealt with for 10 yrs offer on Friday night?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    What did the lad you hadn't dealt with for 10 yrs offer on Friday night?

He wouldn't say the price over the phone, but was said "it'd be a decent price, and he'd meet me to discuss it"
    I'm off on holiday for a few day since Saturday afternoon and didn't want to get involved in that messing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Good loser

Dunedin wrote: »
    Totally agree and it has to be back to the pickets Monday night at this price

No,no,no. Sure to make things worse if anything.

I want to move stock this week.

On its own the fall of sterling against the euro has taken 14c/kg off the base price in the last two weeks. You're in Brexit land now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement