Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My unborn child is going to hell

Options
  • 22-01-2012 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

At least according to my tolerant, non-judgemental, catholic father.

All will be ok, as long as I get the child baptised (which is not going to happen).

But he said it to me like it was nothing; like it was a given or something.

I think he also implied that the child would get baptised whether I liked it or not.

I wanted to break his f**king jaw.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

tell him he is behind the times and should listen to his pope

http://odondecastro.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html
    All unbaptized children go to Heaven when they die, Pope Benedict had finally declared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Also, he has no say in the matter. Refusing to let both your parents see their grandkid might get him to rethink what's more important to him. Especially if your mother doesn't mind the no baptism thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

What does your wife/husband think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Liamario wrote: »

All will be ok, as long as I get the child baptised (which is not going to happen).

I think he also implied that the child would get baptised whether I liked it or not.

It sounds like your father doesn''t have a clue what the teachings of his own church are to be honest with you. And ultimately it's your decision and not his anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Well, isn't he just lovely?

I don't want to stir anything, but you might want to keep an eye out for him baptising the child on the sly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

This is what sets me off. If I dared presume to 'countmeout' a niece, nephew, or any other family member, back when it was still possible to do so, I'd be the nasty, horrible, insidious asshole. But if they do it, it's not only 'ok' but it's encouraged.

F*ck that and f*ck it hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

@Sarky

Trust me, I'm well aware his opinion is irrelevant. It was just a horrible arrogant thing to say.

@juan.kerr

The missus doesn't want to get the child baptised either, so there is no problem there.

In relation to baptising the child on the sly, I wouldn't put it passed him. Of course, he'd laugh it off after doing it. He wouldn't laugh so much I think if he never saw his grandchild ever again.
    The opportunity won't arise, I can assure you.

The more I talk about this, the greater increase in my blood pressure. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sorry, I didn't see this when I posted last.

I'd be very tempted to tell him that if he dared go against your wishes by baptising your child, or suggesting again that he might do so, it would be the last time that he ever laid eyes on the kid.

Yes, I'm being harsh, but if you can't trust him to accept your decision on a matter that is very important to you what can you do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Popinjay wrote: »
    This is what sets me off. If I dared presume to 'countmeout' a niece, nephew, or any other family member, back when it was still possible to do so, I'd be the nasty, horrible, insidious asshole. But if they do it, it's not only 'ok' but it's encouraged.

Tell him if he does, you'll "countmeout" him

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »

He picks and chooses the parts of the religion he follows; like most.

Tell him if he does, you'll "countmeout" him

Iiiiiiiinnnnnnn theeeee rrrreeeeed coooornnneerrrrr... Aaaaallllll the waaayyy frrroommmmm the politiccssss fooorrruummmm.....

Sheeeeee'sssssss bluuuue, sheeeee'ssss biteeeeyyyy and sheeeee'sss on top forrrmmm tonight ladies and gentlemeeeeennn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

All unbaptized children go to Heaven when they die, Pope Benedict had finally declared.

Does it mean that the Church "Heaven claims" all the children in the world who have not been baptised (Muslim, Hindu, atheist, Jedi etc) or just unbaptised children of Catholic parents?

Popinjay wrote: »
    My last post

Mother of jaysus, but that's hard to read.

mhge wrote: »
    Does it mean that the Church "Heaven claims" all the children in the world who have not been baptised (Muslim, Hindu, atheist, Jedi etc) or just unbaptised children of Catholic parents?

I have no idea,but the preaching in the article suggests all of them:

That unbaptized children go to heaven, as taught by Pope Benedict, is a very consoling teaching. We see the children of the world dying because of man's inhumanity to man; dying within a pagan or heretical religion and even without religion.

Being pagan is being inhuman to your fellow man, of course.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

kylith wrote: »
    you might want to keep an eye out for him baptising the child on the sly.
    Good advice.

One of my extended family, let's call her Mary, has a toddler who has a potentially-fatal congenital illness. Her (catholic-fundamentalist) mum decided to do something about it. So at a recent family knees-up, while Mary was off in town, the mum cornered Mary's hubby saying, in the very sweetest of tones, that she wanted to say a prayer over the kid. Not knowing what to do, and certainly not wishing to disrupt what had been, up to that point anyway, a good-natured weekend, hubby agreed.

So the mum and two religious mates entered the hotel bedroom where the kid and hubby were, took out Padre Pio's glove (not the first time this relic has showed up chez nous), began to wave it in circles over the kid's head, while the three of them began a long, long sotto-voce prayer session. Which went on for around 45 minutes until Mary arrived back from town, opened the door into her bedroom to see her mum and two bug-eyed religious fundies still waving Pio's glove in the air, eyes closed, ululating, her husband sitting rigidly in a chair, while the kid ran around the room going "Quack, Quack, Quack". Mary burst into tears and the religious left the room.

I'm not making this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

So abortion is saving the souls of the unborn from sin?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sam V Smith

So according to his logic (Religious logic; Irony!) an adult guardian is the deciding factor in whether a child will go to heaven or hell.

I thought the idea was that heaven is there as a reward for you doing good as an individual... to be honest I'm slightly afraid of any person who can't do good without some ultimate end reward for their efforts.

I am a charitable and compassionate person - I go out of my way to help others... and I'm certainly not stacking brownie points. I do noy expect to be rewarded.

I suppose that means I'm going to hell too right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

So according to his logic (Religious logic; Irony!) an adult guardian is the deciding factor in whether a child will go to heaven or hell.

I thought the idea was that heaven is there as a reward for you doing good as an individual... to be honest I'm slightly afraid of any person who can't do good without some ultimate end reward for their efforts.

I am a charitable and compassionate person - I go out of my way to help others... and I'm certainly not stacking brownie points. I do noy expect to be rewarded.

I suppose that means I'm going to hell too right?

Why do you care if you don't believe you are. The catholic church is less fundamentalist that Calvinists - where you have to be chosen - but even if you were religious some other religious group would see you as going to hell.

The OP has a point about his father having no say in baptism, he would have a point if this father said to the child he is going to hell, however your father saying that to you should have little effect, since you don't believe a word of it.

Yahew wrote: »
    Why do you care if you don't believe you are. The catholic church is less fundamentalist that Calvinists - where you have to be chosen - but even if you were religious some other religious group would see you as going to hell.

The OP has a point about his father having no say in baptism, he would have a point if this father said to the child he is going to hell, however your father saying that to you should have little effect, since you don't believe a word of it.

It's not that he has put doubt to my conviction, it's that he would say that to me about a grandchild. I am disgusted and angry at the hypocracy and venom from a so called christian.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

(Religious logic; Irony!)

Religious logic = oxymoron. ;)

fitz0 wrote: »
    So abortion is saving the souls of the unborn from sin?

s'what the article says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

As an atheist surely you don't believe in hell, so don't let it bother you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Whered ya get that conclusion from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's the principle of the matter really.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

As an atheist, he most likely believes in the basic human right to freedom of (and from) religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Leaving aside that you can be an atheist and believe in an afterlife or hell or anything similar. Would you like it if your child was forced to be a member of Fianna Fáil without your own or the child's consent? This is a similar principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

At what age are you not a child though, if all children unbaptized get to go to heaven?
    We're all Gods children right? So even a Hindu adult gets into heaven.
    But if you're a Christian, and sin, you might go to hell.
    Seems we need to rewrite Pascals wager. The clever thing is to remain unbaptized because then you're a shoo in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

And if your dad had your firstborn baptised as a protestant...?

• Advertisement

As has already been mentioned, it's not the threat of hell- it's the fact that he had the bare faced cheek to say something like that; as if that it was going to make me change my mind.

Advertisement