Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Well as I was one who contributed to the derailment :o

Here is a vid (not very exciting though) of ignoring temporary roadworks red lights.

Edit, Don't know what I've done wrong there :(
    here is the youtube link
    http://youtu.be/3dj3xENrby0
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

TheChizler wrote: »
    Unless you overtake fully in the right hand lane like you're supposed to?
    And it's a double white line for about a mile?
    No its not.
    It's actually a winding road so it most definitely is unsafe to swing out into the right-hand lane, even if it was legal.

So my point stands - 3 or 4 abreast on a narrow road where the lanes are separated by a double white line is dangerous, illegal, inconsiderate and asinine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

bpmurray wrote: »
    And it's a double white line for about a mile?

It's actually a winding road so it most definitely is unsafe to swing out into the right-hand lane, even if it was legal.

So my point stands - 3 or 4 abreast on a narrow road where the lanes are separated by a double white line is dangerous, illegal, inconsiderate and asinine.
    I think you've kind of refuted your own point there.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I think you've kind of refuted your own point there.

I don't understand: I complained about the unhelpful behaviour of cyclists who made it impossible to get past, and I emphasised it in response to folk who said it was untrue. So I've done the exact opposite of what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

bpmurray wrote: »
    What's shocking about this is that the cyclists are travelling in single file and it is actually possible to go past them. Around me (also with solid/double white lines) they always travel interleaved 2 abreast so that they're actually 4 across. And it's completely impossible to get by safely.
    In theory . It safer to overtake groups. There is less chance of a vehicle sending a bike into a ditch. We need a law making it compulsory to give cycles 1.5meter of clearance.
    2F2KMCwDHBz-zKXEM0QQR9HnDsEK8kenTOvNLaZYpLYxZjHT2if-jKH9-_UPdkbOT1DkU_AbFLIsn54gzPsWceEjqcndF9u5huCLiIjJC3I5vDc9PaHU0cGLLXDnmr9UfQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

We need a law making it compulsory to give cycles 1.5meter of clearance

That's not possible to enforce, and impossible to comply with in busy city driving.
    It's a subject that was already being discussed on the cycling forum...
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057339876/1

In theory . It safer to overtake groups. There is less chance of a vehicle sending a bike into a ditch. We need a law making it compulsory to give cycles 1.5meter of clearance.
    That would probably work in situations were it is actually possible to do so: it needs a companion law requiring cyclists to travel in single file where there is a solid white line, i.e. where it is not possible to give 2 or more travelling abreast the room they need.

That picture on the left is a fantasy - I've never seen anything like it!

Do you also mean the cyclist must not go alongside slow traffic if less than 1.5m space? I overtake cyclist with plenty of room and the come near traffic to turn left but cyclist can come in my blind spot when there is no space. Most places where I am driving in Dublin have no extra 1.5m. Idea is crazy.

Teenager playing chicken hit by truck caught on dashcam
    http://news.sky.com/story/1429799/video-teenager-playing-chicken-hit-by-truck

Woaw!
    I wonder how it would have been for the driver with no camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Do you also mean the cyclist must not go alongside slow traffic if less than 1.5m space? I overtake cyclist with plenty of room and the come near traffic to turn left but cyclist can come in my blind spot when there is no space. Most places where I am driving in Dublin have no extra 1.5m. Idea is crazy.

good point..the 1.5 metres would need to work both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭josip

Damien360 wrote: »
    That guy has a death wish. Italian drivers are very unpredictable and likely to change lane at any moment. Think Irish drivers at their very worst. Milan was insane. All it would take is one driver to move lane and he is dead.

Biker is crazy. But you are ignorant or wrong. In Italy much more aware of other drivers than here. Always a signal before change lane.

Not really a valid point . What you are talking about is filtering. Normally done in stationary or very slow moving traffic. Either way, a driver is going to be safe.
    Its a bit different when a person is directing 2 tonnes of steel in your general direction from behind.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/rsa-urges-passing-drivers-to-stay-clear-of-cyclists-305948.html

Now dont get me wrong. I drive for a living. 45 hours a week behind the wheel. After I bike to work.
    But I also realize that I might get stuck behind a tractor, an old person or cyclist the odd time. I get over it.

Biker is crazy. But you are ignorant or wrong. In Italy much more aware of other drivers than here. Always a signal before change lane.

Si Signore. Always a signal before change lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Skip to 30 secs in - WTF moment :D

Bugger that, watch the whole thing.
    Way better than discussing overtaking cyclists.

I was gonna head down and get the clip I caught today of someone almost pushing a cyclist off as she swung left on a right hand turn without checking the mirror but then I thought, nah leave that for another day! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Here is a vid (not very exciting though) of ignoring temporary roadworks red lights.

That's just a small example of safety saturation eventually leading to danger in the long run.

Temp lights for years were ridiculous for the long gap they left between red on one side and green on the other leading to people going through the red because they knew it wouldn't turn green on the other side for ages after they'd gone through. Now I see they're generally okay but the attitude remains from when they were set up terribly in the first place.

We need a law making it compulsory to give cycles 1.5meter of clearance.

Those cyclists should've been over on the footpath on a road like that.

I'm sick of cyclists holding up traffic everywhere

Jesus. wrote: »
    Those cyclists should've been over on the footpath on a road like that.

I'm sick of cyclists holding up traffic everywhere

Cyclist are traffic. Grow up Jesus. You must really hate bailing season in summer .

Its not legal to cycle on a footpath Jesus. Surly as a driver who past their test, you know this??

• Advertisement

Was this you Jesus? Temper, temper...

Danny, you can go nice and aysey on the path. I did it for three years when I was a cyclist before I had air a car a'tall!

Cyclists are a hindrance and a real danger on narrow twisty roads like that. Most of the ones I come across don't give two fu*ks. They cycle in the middle of the lane and don't care a sh1t if there's a tail back behind them half a mile long.

If they all behaved the way I did when I was among their number, the World would be a happier place :)

As an aside drill squads (in the UK) at least are also traffic. Used to drive people mental marching cadets around the roundabouts at RAF Halton on the weekends :pac:

Grow up Jesus. You must really hate bailing season in summer .

You wha'???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Cyclists are a hindrance and a real danger on narrow twisty roads like that. Most of the ones I come across don't give two fu*ks. They cycle in the middle of the lane and don't care a sh1t if there's a tail back behind them half a mile long.

The danger comes from the motorist, not the cyclist. They're also quite entitled to use a lane, annoying maybe but fact, it's up to the faster moving traffic to overtake safely not the cyclist.

PS I don't ride a bicycle but the above is fairly simple and obvious.

bladespin wrote: »

Its fairly simple and obvious that a cyclist should use the whole lane if he so desires simply because he's "entitled" to do it?

And then anything that happens is the motorist's fault?!!!

Bladespin, just because you're entitled to do something doesn't mean its the correct thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Cycling forum --->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

bladespin wrote: »
    The danger comes from the motorist, not the cyclist. They're also quite entitled to use a lane, annoying maybe but fact, it's up to the faster moving traffic to overtake safely not the cyclist.

There is case law which puts an obligation on slow moving traffic to pull in so as not to inconvenience regular traffic. This is where cyclists and tractor drivers are expected to have something, other than fresh air, between their two ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Its fairly simple and obvious that a cyclist should use the whole lane if he so desires simply because he's "entitled" to do it?

And then anything that happens is the motorist's fault?!!!

Bladespin, just because you're entitled to do something doesn't mean its the correct thing to do.
    There is case law which puts an obligation on slow moving traffic to pull in so as not to inconvenience regular traffic. This is where cyclists and tractor drivers are expected to have something, other than fresh air, between their two ears!

Jesus wept, I'm merely pointing out that as the one providing the danger in the situation the onus is always on the motorist to proceed safely, no argument, if your action endangers someone else then it's your responsibility - if you don't understand and abide by this you should hand your license in as you have no right to operate a vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Great, I look forward to all the slow cars stuck in busy urban traffic pulling over to let me, the cyclist, through tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement