Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Patww79 wrote: »

so you are waiting to turn right out on a main road and a guy comes towards you from the right indicating left......, you would trust the indicator that he is turning? It's no good after the event, saying "you were wrong", you have to ensure your own safety by taking into account all the circumstances.... you can't rely on what may be a false indication.

Your problem is that word "completely" he's not completely wrong at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

No. I wasn't commenting on the video clip. I was commenting on your assertion that you should always indicate no matter what. Now anyone with an ounce of sense would know that such a blanket statement is silly. Like if I'm driving up a boreen in the dead of night and there isn't a sinner awake or alive for 20 square miles, I should be indicating into the driveway???

Don't be so daft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

no, the habit you get into is checking your mirrors...if there's noone there, theres no point in signalling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Jesus. wrote: »
    No. I wasn't commenting on the video clip. I was commenting on your assertion that you should always indicate no matter what. Now anyone with an ounce of sense would know that such a blanket statement is silly. Like if I'm driving up a boreen in the dead of night and there isn't a sinner awake or alive for 20 square miles, I should be indicating into the driveway???

Don't be so daft

Well that's common sense really :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

corktina wrote: »
    no, the habit you get into is checking your mirrors...if there's noone there, theres no point in signalling.

Sad to say that this attitude by so many drivers shows why pedestrians and cyclists are often not taken into consideration during manoeuvres.

if they aren't there, how do you take them into consideration?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Personally I'd constantly be checking my mirrors and indicating regardless of who's around even if I'm in a city centre or the middle of nowhere.

I say... MORE VIDEOS, LESS CHATTING :D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

nothing too exciting, just the usual poor merging, and slow driving on the m50, at least he stayed in the driving lane!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

Turtle-TM wrote: »
    nothing too exciting, just the usual poor merging, and slow driving on the m50, at least he stayed in the driving lane!

Gotta be honest, you were not thinking ahead there at all. The guy merged. What was he supposed to do? Stop! You should have anticipated the merge, moved to the outside lane, passed the person merging then pulled back in. Instead you probably caused a ripple of brake lights for 100s of yards back, possibly caused an accident and ended up looking like a bit of a bell end for posting a video of yourself being silly. I suggest some.driving lessons ;-)

Gotta be honest, you were not thinking ahead there at all. The guy merged. What was he supposed to do? Stop! You should have anticipated the merge, moved to the outside lane, passed the person merging then pulled back in. Instead you probably caused a ripple of brake lights for 100s of yards back, possibly caused an accident and ended up looking like a bit of a bell end for posting a video of yourself being silly. I suggest some.driving lessons ;-)

If you view the video again you may see that had the person who illegally crossed the hatched markings into traffic travelling at motorway speeds at approx 70 kph was ever so slightly more at fault :confused: should I take from your post that you would suggest swerving into the overtaking lane when there were clearly other cars there?

that's all well and good, but it's an acceleration lane, you are supposed match your speed to the main line traffic and merge seamlessly. It looked to me as if the guy merging had cut from the left hand merge lane to the right merge lane and then to no1 lane on the main line. Sloppy to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Turtle-TM wrote: »
    If you view the video again you may see that had the person who illegally crossed the hatched markings into traffic travelling at motorway speeds at approx 70 kph was ever so slightly more at fault :confused: should I take from your post that you would suggest swerving into the overtaking lane when there were clearly other cars there?
    In fairness , if there is traffic trying to merge you should change lane and let them out if you can , if you can't you should be adjusting your speed to avoid conflict with the merging car . A lot of the merging lanes are too short on the m50 , the car merging can't stop , you should plan ahead and avoid getting into the situation in the first place .

Edit - yeah just copped the lad cut across from the other lane , thought he was in the right merging lane originally , bad move on his part

jay48 wrote: »
    In fairness , if there is traffic trying to merge you should change lane and let them out if you can , if you can't you should be adjusting your speed to avoid conflict with the merging car . A lot of the merging lanes are too short on the m50 , the car merging can't stop , you should plan ahead and avoid getting into the situation in the first place .

If the person had used the lane he was in as intended then he could have merged safely behind me at the correct speed

he did let him out he had little choice! the guy just wandered across on to lane one, illegaly crossing the crosshatchings as he did. There was overtaking traffic, he wasn't able to move over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

RainyDay wrote: »
    Defensive driver training suggests differently. The advise I got was that you know absolutely without exception if there is anyone behind to see your indicator. If there is no-one to see it, don't waste your time indicating.

Indicators must be used no matter if someone is watching them or not - over.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

That or he wanted to shame himself by posting a video of him driving in the middle lane with the left lane clear.

338943.png

Your observation needs the assistance of either/both specsavers or driving lessons for you missed the above scene.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Defensive driver training suggests differently. The advise I got was that you know absolutely without exception if there is anyone behind to see your indicator. If there is no-one to see it, don't waste your time indicating.

What about people in front or to your side?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Defensive driver training, roadcraft, ROSPA, skid control training and the such are for people who like driving and want to be better, more efficient at it.
    I think most people do not like it, even professional drivers.
    They do it because it's more convenient that the alternative or they have no choice (everyone need to find some money at the end of the month).
    And like most thing, if you do not like doing it, you will most probably never be good at it.

As far as I dread the full automated car (as I think that as some point, some authority will rule that 'manual' vehicles are not allowed on the road anymore and that will kill all the pleasure of driving or motorbiking), for the majority, it will be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

mac.in wrote: »

Your observation needs the assistance of either/both specsavers or driving lessons for you missed the above scene.:D

It was a 23 second clip and you were undertaken at +/- 10 seconds in. Far too long to hog the centre lane.
    Your overhead signs are 18 seconds in.
    At motorway speed that is undertake after 333m and signs are at 600m from start of clip. And since you started in the centre lane, I presume you were hogging it for considerably longer!

I wonder, what is stuck on your windscreen with masking tape? Could it be a N plate?
    154ede9.jpg

it's one of my pet hates on that road. People fear the merges, (rather than getting used to them) so they stay in the middle lane all the way along that stretch on the flimsy excuse that they are going straight on at the Douglas turnoff.

I think you are right about the N plate....ironic that a novice should be on here with the Holier than Thou dashcam .

On the evidence I'd say that there is a fair chance that the car he claims cut in too soon did so because he was hogging the central lane at too slow a speed, kind of making a point by doing so......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...if there's no one there, theres no point in signalling...
    Unfortunately a large percentage of drivers apply the "...theres no point in signalling..." part regardless of whether there is anyone around to see it.
    ...that you know absolutely without exception if there is anyone behind to see your indicator...
    Those who have successfully completed advanced or defensive driving courses may be competent enough to be so aware but far too many drivers drive without paying attention to the task at hand.
    There are some great examples of advanced/defensive driving on those "Motorway Cops" / "Road Wars" type programmes. The camera shots of the police drivers taken from the dash in front illustrates some the type of drivers, and driver behaviour that may be aware enough to omit indicating. They are the exceptional few!

At to the use mirrors suggestion - well I use my fingers to activate the indicators, my eyes to use the mirrors and my brain to control both as I multi-task! No wasted effort!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Spook_ie wrote: »
    What about people in front or to your side?
    A touch pedantic? Yes, if there is anyone around you (front, side, behind), you should use your indicator, according to the advanced driver training that I did. If there is no-one around, you don't need to indicate.

Habits are a mixed blessing. Driving with full awareness of exactly who is around you is better than habit.
    CiniO wrote: »
    Says who? Is this your opinion or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Jaysus lads would ye stop, above anything else I'm running out of popcorn!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I remember when this thread used to have videos posted in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

You have a good memory then. Maybe we need a seperate 'indicator' thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

A touch pedantic? Yes, if there is anyone around you (front, side, behind), you should use your indicator, according to the advanced driver training that I did. If there is no-one around, you don't need to indicate.
    CiniO wrote: »

Says who? Is this your opinion or what?

Rules of the Road says..
    How to change lanes safely
    If you have good reason to change lanes, use your mirrors and check in plenty of time to ensure that the way is clear.
    To check your blind spot when travelling at speed, take a quick sideways glance to check the position of a vehicle that may have disappeared from your view in the mirror.
    Signal your intention and change lane when it is clear and safe to do so.

Nothing there about "...but if there is no-one around, then you don't have to"

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    It was a 23 second clip and you were undertaken at +/- 10 seconds in. Far too long to hog the centre lane.
    Your overhead signs are 18 seconds in.
    At motorway speed that is undertake after 333m and signs are at 600m from start of clip. And since you started in the centre lane, I presume you were hogging it for considerably longer!

Yes, it's a 23 second clip. If one carefully observes, there are two merging lanes that merges till 12s. At 12s one can clear see the gantry. So, I stayed in the 2nd lane (middle lane). The car that undertook me actually merged into the road from one of the merging lanes.
    GrumpyMe wrote: »
    I wonder, what is stuck on your windscreen with masking tape? Could it be a N plate?
    154ede9.jpg

It's the N plate.

• Advertisement

Indeed you did stay in the middle lane, quite unnecessarily.

People are forever doing this , especially people driving too slow for the traffic conditions who leave people merging a problem....do they slow down and merge behind you and then change lanes twice to the outer lane to pass you , or do they continue as they are and undertake? The slowcoach also poses a problem for people on the main line, correctly in lane 1 as they will have to change lanes twice to overtake.

Both these instances are in your video I think

PS your N plate and all that masking tape are a hazard as they restrict your vision.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement