Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

corktina wrote: »
    Indeed you did stay in the middle lane, quite unnecessarily.

People are forever doing this , especially people driving too slow for the traffic conditions who leave people merging a problem....do they slow down and merge behind you and then change lanes twice to the outer lane to pass you , or do they continue as they are and undertake? The slowcoach also poses a problem for people on the main line, correctly in lane 1 as they will have to change lanes twice to overtake.

Both these instances are in your video I think

PS your N plate and all that masking tape are a hazard as they restrict your vision.
    I usually stick to the driving (left) lane but I do have problems with slow mergers that are made worse by the mlm's preventing me from moving over to allow the slow mergers in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

More videos, less chit-chat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Rules of the Road says..Nothing there about "...but if there is no-one around, then you don't have to"

Do you apply a rule book 100% to your everyday life in what's known as the Real World?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just my 2 cents seeing as this is now the great to indicate, or not to indicate thread.

I would always indicate when changing lanes on any road, even at 3am on an empty motorway, a lane change is a lane change, and in my opinion, should be indicated accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

the car had passed and was quite a bit clear before it changed lane. He wasn't approaching it at all, it was pulling ahead of him. I've no problem with a car in this situation not indicating, it was quite probable that an overtaking car will pull in once he has complete his manoeuvre.

A bit clear (a distance of about 25 feet/4 m) is not safe as per braking distance.
    If you are an experienced driver, you would be alive to the possibility that the car overtaking you may pull back in, in fact you should be expecting it, in which case, as I said, I'd have no problem with the car not indicating.

'Expect the unexpected' is a safety precaution; it should not be the norm.
    As per RSA guidelines, indicating is required. I'm speaking in accordance with RSA guidelines rather than any individual's perspective.
    it's one of my pet hates on that road. People fear the merges, (rather than getting used to them) so they stay in the middle lane all the way along that stretch on the flimsy excuse that they are going straight on at the Douglas turnoff.

I would rather see people facilitating the merges rather than fearing the merges.
    I think you are right about the N plate....ironic that a novice should be on here with the Holier than Thou dashcam .

What if I'm an N plate which actually is not the case? I feel one should see what is being said rather than who is saying that. If any L plate/N plate says something that is valid and wise, I fully agree, accept, and adopt it. I have 6.5 years of driving experience in Ireland (out of which 6 years is with full licence), and a total of 12 years driving experience.
    On the evidence I'd say that there is a fair chance that the car he claims cut in too soon did so because he was hogging the central lane at too slow a speed, kind of making a point by doing so......

I was going at a speed of about 85kmph on a road that has 100 kmph speed limit. In any case if I see a car going at 60kmph in the middle lane, I would rather don't cut in front of it and show my road rage. That too if it's an L/N plate I would rather show consideration rather than road rage.
    Indeed you did stay in the middle lane, quite unnecessarily.

I stayed in the middle lane to facilitate the merge. You know very well that there are two merging lanes there. The car that undertook in fact merged from one of the two merging lanes.
    People are forever doing this , especially people driving too slow for the traffic conditions who leave people merging a problem....do they slow down and merge behind you and then change lanes twice to the outer lane to pass you , or do they continue as they are and undertake? The slowcoach also poses a problem for people on the main line, correctly in lane 1 as they will have to change lanes twice to overtake.

The car that undertook was in a lane that was the regional road (the display board is in white). The maximum speed for that lane is 50kmph. I was already on about 85kmph on the lane that was a part of National road (the board is green for the lane I was in).
    PS your N plate and all that masking tape are a hazard as they restrict your vision.

It doesn't restrict my vision; it restricts camera's vision.
    got a new dashcam desperate to post footage....?

Thaank you ;)

For other members, sorry for posting the explanation and the inconvenience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Move along folks, more vids maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hey Guys,

Apologies if the wrong place, went back a few pages but couldnt see any recommendations. Driving in Dublin daily, and feel its only a matter of time before having a dashcam could save me. Any recommendations on specific kit, suppliers etc, or is there a specific thread for it.

Thanks in Advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sorry Mod, can't leave this pass...

quote "The car that undertook was in a lane that was the regional road (the display board is in white). The maximum speed for that lane is 50kmph. I was already on about 85kmph on the lane that was a part of National road (the board is green for the lane I was in). "

culd you split to another thread as that is one of the most bizarre things I ever saw posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

budhabob wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Apologies if the wrong place, went back a few pages but couldnt see any recommendations. Driving in Dublin daily, and feel its only a matter of time before having a dashcam could save me. Any recommendations on specific kit, suppliers etc, or is there a specific thread for it.

Thanks in Advance.
    search for Dash Cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only, no vids):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

So do your NCT, tax and insurance disks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭budhabob

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    search for Dash Cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only, no vids):D

Cheers!

Pov06 wrote: »
    So do your NCT, tax and insurance disks ;)
    Those must be displayed...
    The poster doesn't need to display the N plate!

Those must be displayed...
    The poster doesn't need to display the N plate!

It is a shared car. It's used by one of my family members too.

mac.in wrote: »
    It is a shared car. It's used by one of my family members too.

I kinda silly to use N plates if vehicle is driven by fully(sic) quailfied driver?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    You appear to be missing the point - not all fully qualified drivers are N drivers!
    So fully qualified drivers with more than 2 years experience should not be driving around with N plates displayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

So fully qualified drivers with more than 2 years experience should not be driving around with N plates displayed!

Unless they're driving someone elses' car (legitimately - of course), if that someone else is newly qualified, in that case it should be fine. Remember a similar debate about someone driving a car with L plates though they weren't a learner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

UK rules definitely says so. But I haven't come across any Irish rules saying so. However, covering it is a good idea which I am thinking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Rules of the Road says..

Nothing there about "...but if there is no-one around, then you don't have to"
    Correct, and ROTR is not law, it is ROTR. And it basically sets out a minimum standard, and does not cover advanced driving techniques.

It's like the old tree in the forest thing, if there is no-one there to see the overtake, why bother indicate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

There is no 'feeling' involved. You know if there is anyone around, and you adjust your behaviour accordingly.

bladespin wrote: »
    Unless they're driving someone elses' car (legitimately - of course), if that someone else is newly qualified, in that case it should be fine. Remember a similar debate about someone driving a car with L plates though they weren't a learner.

The N plate refers to the driver not the car!!! So if driver has passed the test more than 7 months ago then they don't need to display it!

RainyDay wrote: »
    There is no 'feeling' involved. You know if there is anyone around, and you adjust your behaviour accordingly.
    A bit like speeding then? :D

Move along folks, more vids maybe?
    OK ;)
    A Russian Tramastrophy

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

I drive herself's mini with the L plates up despite passing my test 7 years ago. Hardly the biggest crime, however, I do find people cut in front of me more and the likes of that. I guess the expect some young wan in a mini with L plates! The face on them when the see an angry bloke behind the wheel!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Yes they are, which makes this latest brainwave by "road safety Ireland" a fukking joke

Irish videos must be in short supply at the moment, Here are some crazy Russian ones...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement