Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

did the youths have anything to do with her manoeuvre?

corktina wrote: »
    did the youths have anything to do with her manoeuvre?
    looks to me like she was turning back due to the congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Looks like whoever is driving the bike is indicating to go right but turns left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Looks like whoever is driving the bike is indicating to go right but turns left.

Bike indicators don't self cancel, looks like the rider forgot to push the button, possibly a bit confused after the car lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

looks to me like she was turning back due to the congestion.

She panicked when she realised she was blocking the pedestrian crossing and what the camera didn't get was the kids telling her to get out of the way.

The 'hooded youths' part is a joke, they were just kids. Her driving is what was ridiculous.

I indicated left to change lane and indicated left again when turning left.

• Advertisement

green light flashing to the right of the dash could be a right turn indicator I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chippy01

green light flashing to the right of the dash could be a right turn indicator I suppose

My bikes only have one indicator light on the dash, operates for either left and right indicators.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

martomcg wrote: »
    She has literally no idea whats going on...

Confusing. Driving along with the right indicator flashing, and going left :cool:

we already discussed that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

well it wouldn't be a dashcam thread without multiple uncalled for nitpicking yo!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wasn't going to bother posting this, as it's minor enough,
    but seeing as the thread is going kilometres off topic lately, I figured a dash cam video was in order, you know, because its a dash cam video thread!

Nothing major, just the silver Qashqai overtaking a group of cyclists causing the on coming car to stop!!

(for some reason the quality is pretty poor! which I'm at a loss to explain as other videos I put up seem fine quality wise!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

but seeing as the thread is going kilometres off topic lately, I figured a dash cam video was in order, you know, because its a dash cam thread!

Nothing major, just the silver Qashqai overtaking a group of cyclists causing the on coming car to stop!!

What's shocking about this is that the cyclists are travelling in single file and it is actually possible to go past them. Around me (also with solid/double white lines) they always travel interleaved 2 abreast so that they're actually 4 across. And it's completely impossible to get by safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

bpmurray wrote: »
    What's shocking about this is that the cyclists are travelling in single file and it is actually possible to go past them. Around me (also with solid/double white lines) they always travel interleaved 2 abreast so that they're actually 4 across. And it's completely impossible to get by safely.
    Unless you overtake fully in the right hand lane like you're supposed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

bpmurray wrote: »
    And it's completely impossible to get by safely.

No its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Confusing. Driving along with the right indicator flashing, and going left :cool:
    we already discussed that!

About as much observation as the average car driver :P

the overtaking of those cyclists was illegal anyway given the solid white line and that includes the driver of the camera car.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

In the UK, you may cross the unbroken white line (double white lines) in certain circumstances,

(Taken from UK highway code)

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.
    Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10 & 26

I do not know if the law on this is different in Ireland, but it would make getting past, for example, a broken down vehicle a very long process!! (i.e. waiting for car to be moved/repaired & moved) if you cannot cross the solid white line under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

You can definitely cross the line in certain circumstances, the guy doing my truck lessons said if there is a reason to cross it then it's ok, he didn't specify what the reason was though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

bladebrew wrote: »
    You can definitely cross the line in certain circumstances, the guy doing my truck lessons said if there is a reason to cross it then it's ok, he didn't specify what the reason was though?

ok when overtaking "slow" vehicles such as tractors, cyclists etc. Also ok when overtaking cattle and horses

Link? It's surely not OK to overtake anything on a section thus.

• Advertisement

the overtaking of those cyclists was illegal anyway given the solid white line and that includes the driver of the camera car.

Excellent point corktina. perhaps I was breaking the law.
    I do not know if the law on this is different in Ireland, but it would make getting past, for example, a broken down vehicle a very long process!! (i.e. waiting for car to be moved/repaired & moved) if you cannot cross the solid white line under any circumstances.

It doesn't go into great detail in Ireland what the rule is, it states;

All traffic must keep to the left of the line (except in an emergency or for access).

I've emailed both the RSA & Garda Traffic corps and asked them to define what could be constituted as an emergency or access. I did call them both, but the Garda number on the RSA website is incorrect (I was through to Dublin Castle), the lady at the RSA said the section that deals with queries like this was at a meeting, so if I emailed them, my query could be dealt with appropriately.

As corktina excellently pointed out, I was breaking the law, so I'd like either the Guards or the RSA to define what exactly I can assume to be access or an emergency.
    If I overtake the cyclists, am I giving myself access to a clear road? am I avoiding a potential emergency behind me (as it's a bendy road with a speed limit of 80 km/h).

I will report back once I receive a response from one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Excellent point corktina. perhaps I was breaking the law.

It doesn't go into great detail in Ireland what the rule is, it states;

All traffic must keep to the left of the line (except in an emergency or for access).
    As corktina excellently pointed out, I was breaking the law, so I'd like either the Guards or the RSA to define what exactly I can assume to be access or an emergency.

How bout definition-by-statute?
    "Road wrote:
    "access" means entry or exit by vehicles to or from premises adjacent to or accessible only from a road and includes stopping a vehicle on a roadway solely for the purpose of loading or unloading goods on to or from such vehicle from or to such premises;

It's just another example of poorly drafted rules/legislation.

By the letter of the law it's illegal to cross a white line except for access (to premises presumably) or in an emergency (a broken down vehicle causing an obstruction perhaps)

There's no point in having white lines if it's permissable to overtake on them, as clearly shown in the video where the opposing car had to pull up (and might in other circumstances have been in collision).

but seeing as the thread is going kilometres off topic lately, I figured a dash cam video was in order, you know, because its a dash cam video thread!

I guess my attempt to get back on topic goes down as a fail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

In my truck test I came across a bus trying to get into a bus stop, there were cars making it difficult. The road past the bus was clear. I slowed right down while deciding what was the best course of action: wait until the bus cleared the road (wasn't going to be soon) or cross the unbroken white line. I went for the latter.

At the end of the test, the tester told me I had passed but there was one point he wanted to make. If I'd waited any longer to get past the bus, it would have been a mark against me for failure to make progress (paraphrase). It seems that crossing the solid white line was the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I think common sense should prevail here. You can cross the white line in extraordinary circumstances and only if you have a clear view of whats going on around you.

If you were to follow the rules of the road to the letter, Ireland would be one large carpark.

I guess my attempt to get back on topic goes down as a fail!

Well as I was one who contributed to the derailment :o

Here is a vid (not very exciting though) of ignoring temporary roadworks red lights.
    http://youtu.be/3dj3xENrby0

Edit, Don't know what I've done wrong there :(
    here is the youtube link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Well as I was one who contributed to the derailment :o

Here is a vid (not very exciting though) of ignoring temporary roadworks red lights.

Edit, Don't know what I've done wrong there :(
    here is the youtube link

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Awaits analysis and condemnation of the positioning of the stop sign, the red light, the road work's signage, the two cars going pass the camera car and the camera car's position on the road.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Awaits analysis and condemnation of the positioning of the stop sign, the red light, the road work's signage, the two cars going pass the camera car and the camera car's position on the road.

But I did remember to mute the sound so I won't get grief for my choice of music!! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement