Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba nightclub (now Bentley)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

IF you likes CP's you will loooooooove The Bently.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Seaneh wrote: »

No indie/alternative music upstairs well so? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

One of the clubs in the city was called the Bentley years ago. Funny that they are using the same name again.

One of the clubs in the city was called the Bentley years ago. Funny that they are using the same name again.

It's the same building, hence the name.

Cygnus wrote: »

'fraid not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Haha, I only turned 18 a few months ago so I have no standards when it comes to clubs, anything that isn't a field or a small pub is great for me! :D
    Cygnus wrote: »
    Is there? :O I've been hoping they'd open an indie/alternative club! :)

Does anybody know if they've got a room in Bentley like 'the Factory' in CPs where they play techno/psytrance/dubstep as opposed to David Guetta etc? I don't really like the usual David Guetta and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

It's that bad?

'fraid not.

Damn, just saw this now. :(

It's that bad?

It's not great tbh :pac:

Damn, just saw this now. :(

Uptrairs is more electro/house type stuff, main floor is all chart ****e.

Used to be that main floor was chart ****e and up stairs was indie/alt stuff.

The Bar on street level usually has a covers band followed by main stream-ish music.

It's not a horrible place, I just miss 903 and Cuba Live.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

How I miss the alternative music of Kings of Leon and the Fratellis :(

It's not great tbh :pac:
    Haha all of my older friends constantly tell me how awful CPs is and to stop going there! :p I don't know why everyone hates it so much though!
    Uptrairs is more electro/house type stuff, main floor is all chart ****e.

Used to be that main floor was chart ****e and up stairs was indie/alt stuff.

The Bar on street level usually has a covers band followed by main stream-ish music.

It's not a horrible place, I just miss 903 and Cuba Live.

Great, thanks :D

How I miss the alternative music of Kings of Leon and the Fratellis :(

ha, yeah, wasn't exactly undergroud stuff, better than Rhianna and Gaga though!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Miss being in Cuba Live dancing like a man possessed to Everlong!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Upstairs in Cuba was great. Getting to hear Modest Mouse, Radiohead and the likes...such a welcome change from the same old chart stuff being played in every other club. *Sigh* The closest thing you'll find to it is the Róisín Dubh. Only been down there a couple of times but there was some decent music the nights I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

I heard Rihanna being played on the top floor last weekend.
    Confirmed that Cuba is 100% gone! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

It's the same building, hence the name.

yeah but shouldn't it be the bently 3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I don't understand who they're aiming it at. I'd have thought doctors would be aiming it at an older more sophisticated crowd but I saw a guy with runners being let in. I think they're letting younger people in than I thought. It's grand though.

I don't understand who they're aiming it at. I'd have thought doctors would be aiming it at an older more sophisticated crowd but I saw a guy with runners being let in. I think they're letting younger people in than I thought. It's grand though.

One of the bothers was a Pharmacist, I have no idea what the other does but I know he's not a doctor.

That aside, why would their day job affect their business plan? They are there to make money, the idea that because someone is wearing trainers you shouldn't let them into a club is retarded and only upheld by retarded culb owners/operators.

Addidas Originals cost €85-€120 a pair, but the wearers money isn't welcome while some skobe in €10 shoes from Dunnes should be allowed in because his are "proper shoes"?

Get the boat.

Also discriminating by age should be illegal, it's idiocy.

edit: would seem the other brother is indeed a doctor, either way, it doesn't change anything.

One of the bothers was a Pharmacist, I have no idea what the other does but I know he's not a doctor.

That aside, why would their day job affect their business plan? They are there to make money, the idea that because someone is wearing trainers you shouldn't let them into a club is retarded and only upheld by retarded culb owners/operators.

Addidas Originals cost €85-€120 a pair, but the wearers money isn't welcome while some skobe in €10 shoes from Dunnes should be allowed in because his are "proper shoes"?

Get the boat.

Also discriminating by age should be illegal, it's idiocy.

I actually had a pretty good time in there tonight! :)

• Advertisement

...Aren't you just after doing your leaving cert? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

milehip1 wrote: »
    :confused: Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Well that's what the Galway Independent was saying...

Mayo brothers Shane Broderick, a doctor, and James Broderick, a pharmacist, have now taken over operation of the club and bar, which was previously known as The Bentley.

Ahhh, someone told me he worked in finance or something, took their word for it, silly me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I can only assume their day-to-day wages will be subsidising the income from the new premesis as the rent alone is €1k a day :eek:

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I can only assume their day-to-day wages will be subsidising the income from the new premesis as the rent alone is €1k a day :eek:

I'm hearing very different numbers form various people in the hospitality trade in Galway. But they all give a different number. Most common thing I've heard was 5k a week, which is nuts, especially when you add in the rates on a building that size, public liability insurance etc, then it could be around the 1k per day cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

milehip1 wrote: »

Wasn't it called the icon (or similar) between the bentley and cuba?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 prometheus2012

antoobrien wrote: »
    Wasn't it called the icon (or similar) between the bentley and cuba?

Yeah Icon and Robert Lee's (or something like that). They dropped those names like a bad smell when the drink spiking rumours went around. I seem to remember them having full size posters in the bar window saying the story was untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

I'm hearing very different numbers form various people in the hospitality trade in Galway. But they all give a different number. Most common thing I've heard was 5k a week, which is nuts, especially when you add in the rates on a building that size, public liability insurance etc, then it could be around the 1k per day cost.

This is precisely why rates need to be imposed on property left idle, in order to drive rents down and make entry to the market-place more affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Malice wrote: »
    :confused: Why?

After a refit the original bently was know as the bently 2 ,
    not sure if that was its proper title,
    but that's what all the redders down my way used to call it,
    that would make this current incarnation the bently 3 by my count.

disclaimer: I was never in 1 or 2 nor do I intend to be in 3

Advertisement