Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba nightclub (now Bentley)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Honestly? That's not really a good enough reason. They're opening up in effectively what could possibly be one of the busiest weekends of the summer, so surely they would have ensured that all staff members received adequate training on the till systems.

Yeah was just gonna say that. Why couldn't they train them in before? Bar staff have to be bloody fast and well able to take multiple orders in busy night clubs. It's not a great start to a new club if people are complaining about the standard of bartending

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

I can only speak for myself, but I always found Cuba bar staff to be terrible. Very slow. One of the hardest places in town to get a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

New place, new staff, it's completely unfair to expect miracles. They're only human and in a new job. Anyone dealing with the public on the first day is going to be shakey. Dealing with people that are getting drunk is even worse.
    Get over yourselves and give people a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

I can only speak for myself, but I always found Cuba bar staff to be terrible. Very slow. One of the hardest places in town to get a drink.

Simple fact is that 2 bars isn't enough for a club that size!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bar staff are like traffic lights on the junctions, they need to be calibrated first to work optimally*
    Give it some time.

*lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

what??????!!!!! you taking the p**s

Shryke wrote: »
    New place, new staff, it's completely unfair to expect miracles. They're only human and in a new job. Anyone dealing with the public on the first day is going to be shakey. Dealing with people that are getting drunk is even worse.
    Get over yourselves and give people a chance.

They should have hired experienced staff members though. It just seems silly to have inexperienced staff on their opening weekend, which is essentially going to be among the busiest they'll have this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

Seaneh wrote: »
    I got off a bus at 1am and wandered up to get a cab from Pro-cabs as they are fixed fare from the office which saves me about €4 over getting a cab from the rank.

They (The Bently) in all their wisdom have placed the smoking area infront of the cab office so to even get in to the office I had to walk through a throng of drunk dickheads.
    The was like looking at CP's being transplanted to the top of Eyre Square.

In short...

36foho.jpg
    Was an avid cuba member since 2004 lived upstairs in the club and loved sunday drinking in it up to it closing its doors.. i went to the opening last night for a look and was very pissed off with the whole set up. ****e live band playing gay wedding music covers and the music that came on after was a ****e attempt at conjuring up the spirit of the old place.full of twatt cps heads with no taste in music

they're account has been deactivated on Facebook :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

they're account has been deactivated on Facebook :confused:

No? They're still posting stuff as we speak
    https://www.facebook.com/BentleyGalway

• Advertisement

ciano1 wrote: »
    No? They're still posting stuff as we speak
    https://www.facebook.com/BentleyGalway

me fecking FB acting up again!!!

cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

They used to have a page that you added them as a friend up until last week because they were like 3000 friends and we will tell you the name or something like that but it seems they deleted that page and reverted to the one you 'like' instead.

I am also annoyed to hear they have people in the bathroom, why do any clubs think this is a good idea? It just plain annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

They used to have a page that you added them as a friend up until last week because they were like 3000 friends and we will tell you the name or something like that but it seems they deleted that page and reverted to the one you 'like' instead.

They migrated their profile to a page. Friends become likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Does anyone else think they very quickly changed their target market when CPS closed last minute?

I wasen't expecting Cuba when I went last night, but I was expecting the same clientele to be honest. The older teens, and early 20's. A nice mixture and the alternative stuff upstairs. I think a lot of people would be happy if they did their poppy cps-esque stuff downstairs and kept the upstairs alternative.

I'm just turned 22 and last night in the whole club, I felt very old. All 18 years olds, if anything. Didn't appeal to me. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but when I saw the decor of the bar, the security, I kinda expected better. I was thinking they were going to go for the 20-25 age group that need a club that's not too young and not old enough for Halo yet. Just think they could have started strong and said that this is our market and we're sticking to it.

But, from their POV, CPS just closed, massive market, might aswell exploit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I didn't think it had changed much from the Cuba days. Enjoyed my night there.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Does anyone else think they very quickly changed their target market when CPS closed last minute?

I wasen't expecting Cuba when I went last night, but I was expecting the same clientele to be honest. The older teens, and early 20's. A nice mixture and the alternative stuff upstairs. I think a lot of people would be happy if they did their poppy cps-esque stuff downstairs and kept the upstairs alternative.

I'm just turned 22 and last night in the whole club, I felt very old. All 18 years olds, if anything. Didn't appeal to me. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but when I saw the decor of the bar, the security, I kinda expected better. I was thinking they were going to go for the 20-25 age group that need a club that's not too young and not old enough for Halo yet. Just think they could have started strong and said that this is our market and we're sticking to it.

But, from their POV, CPS just closed, massive market, might aswell exploit it.

After having a look at the pictures on facebook from the opening night all I have to say is RIP Cuba*. It looks like the Hollister and Abercrombie crowd have taken over. This would never have happened in the Cuba of old.... :mad:

fergpie wrote: »
    It looks like the Hollister and Abercrombie crowd have taken over.

Whats wrong with Hollister and Abercrombie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's meant to be a snobbish insult towards the majority of young people in Galway.

It's meant to be a snobbish insult towards the majority of young people in Galway.

I know full well the sort of s**te he is talking but just said I'd ask for a reason all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭wallpaper12

I think its more of an insult to those annoying people who just want jessie j and rihanna played and then think thats the best thing ever.

The thing I think most people are annoyed about is that they were giving the impression they were going to be reopening cuba to begin with so people got their hopes up that upstairs would be alternative again. If they had just said from the outset that it was going to be another commercial nightclub they wouldnt have pissed so many people off.

• Advertisement

When I was there, almost every guy was wearing chinos. Certainly made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

paulhannon wrote: »

Stolen for my Facebook, good sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Gotta laugh. Never thought i'd see the day when the supposed "crusties" and "moshers" will probably be more into going to CP's what with it being a new live music venue and for older crowd and Cuba will be fun of boggers/G4's at weekends and pissed abercrombie wearing students during the week. If you said that to me 5 years ago when I was in college and I would have laughed in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I graced this place with my presence last night. We were rat arsed and got refused twice but on the third attempt they let us in. I think it was before 12 so we didn't pay. It looks the same as cuba, upstairs is still dark and like a cave. I don't think I bought any drinks and I can't remember what kind of music they were playing! Good night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

MadYaker, was the air conditioning working?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can't remember. To be honest the whole night is a blur. Feckin kings.... I always get the last king!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

MadYaker wrote: »
    I graced this place with my presence last night. We were rat arsed and got refused twice but on the third attempt they let us in. I think it was before 12 so we didn't pay. It looks the same as cuba, upstairs is still dark and like a cave. I don't think I bought any drinks and I can't remember what kind of music they were playing! Good night though.

This sounds promising!
    If you can get in there when you've had a good few pre drinks then it sounds like it has potential :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leroy002

Various pros and cons. Went there on the first night and it must have been max capacity. With the crowd that was in there you would be expecting to wait 15 minutes for a drink so this is no fault on the bar-staff. The heat was an absolute joke. Visited the place again on tuesday and the bar-staff on the first floor had considerably quickened their pace. The blonde girl that served me was particularly friendly i even left a tip. Disappointed with the type of crowd, saw a number of 'kids' that couldnt have been 18 yet. Also disappointed in the music on the top floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

What's it like? Some friends and I are thinking of going out tonight and we wanna check out this club, we usually go to Carbon or CPs. What is the age group like? We're all 18/19. Also is it <snip>? Went to Club K once, never again! And prices too, I think I heard it's free to get in before 12, is this correct?

Advertisement