Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba nightclub (now Bentley)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

What was so special about 'bar one'? Was there different music or anything?

barryd09 wrote: »
    What was so special about 'bar one'? Was there different music or anything?

No same music, just had a nice atmosphere down that end of the club and of course the big leather couches when other clubs or pubs in Galway didn't have that sort of thing. There would be crowd of us in there once or twice a week and would always take over a section and relax and have the craic there, we'd be heading off to the dance floor too and stuff but we would always have bar one as our base.

Probably just associating that area with good nights out as we would always be down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Suppose that means CPs wont be opening up the "bar one" section again. Its very rarely I'm in cps as we have moved onto Halo now due to getting a bit older but all through college we used to live in that section of CPs, some unreal nights there, would have liked them to open it again just as a reminder of the good times.

Never heard of it, was this bar one built with the renovation of CP's around 2010

Never heard of it, was this bar one built with the renovation of CP's around 2010

No it was actually taken away in that renovation (or not open anytime I was in since anyway), its was down to the left when you went in the door it had big leather couches and sort of beds almost also along with some big screens and a bar, basically where Brannagans used to be, I think they actually had brannagins written on outside on a sort of glass front but bar one was written there at one stage too, it was a few doors down from the entrance. I would have been going to the club mostly between 2002 and 2008 and it was there most of that time, maybe not at the start.

It was never really mentioned or advertised you would probably only take notice that the area was called bar one if you were a regular in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

No it was actually taken away in that renovation (or not open anytime I was in since anyway), its was down to the left when you went in the door it had big leather couches and sort of beds almost also along with some big screens and a bar, basically where Brannagans used to be, I think they actually had brannagins written on outside on a sort of glass front but bar one was written there at one stage too, it was a few doors down from the entrance. I would have been going to the club mostly between 2002 and 2008 and it was there most of that time, maybe not at the start.

It was never really mentioned or advertised you would probably only take notice that the area was called bar one if you were a regular in the club.

aaaah ya, didn't know that area had a name. yeah, it was handy place to actually sit down and talk. i was in nuig from 2003 until 2007 so about the same time as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Bar One is actually open again and is known as Factory now.

aaaah ya, didn't know that area had a name. yeah, it was handy place to actually sit down and talk. i was in nuig from 2003 until 2007 so about the same time as you.

Yeah I was actually in nuig between from 2003 to 2007 too but I used to go a bit before college and for a bit after too, though it was mainly Halo from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Suppose that means CPs wont be opening up the "bar one" section again. Its very rarely I'm in cps as we have moved onto Halo now due to getting a bit older but all through college we used to live in that section of CPs, some unreal nights there, would have liked them to open it again just as a reminder of the good times.

Bar One is the bit with the leather couches surrounding tables made of palettes, right? In the door and down the stairs to the left? They've definitely opened that since the renovation. I've been in there at least twice. I know, because I was never in CPs pre-renovation.

Also, isn't "Factory" further up, towards Halo?

Bar One is the bit with the leather couches surrounding tables made of palettes, right? In the door and down the stairs to the left? They've definitely opened that since the renovation. I've been in there at least twice. I know, because I was never in CPs pre-renovation.

Also, isn't "Factory" further up, towards Halo?

Yeah sounds like it is open so. I was in CPs not long after the renovation and it wasn't open, (I actually had a sly look in the door, which wasn't locked and it was not being renovated and had stuff thrown around) I suppose the handful of times I was in since were either before it was finished or nights that were too quiet to open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

The original bar one (brown couches, plasma screens etc) was closed when the major renovation took place in 2010. It's located on the street side of the venue, where the glass doors and fire exits lead out to, and it was where the original Brannagans restaurant was many a moon ago! It reopened shortly after the refurb with the mini bottle bar removed and the larger bar right down the end staying where it always was. The decor changed a little too to a kind of qwirky feel.

It has been used on and off depending on numbers in the venue, but had been closed again in recent months to facilitate the creation of 'factory' :

(from the facebook page)

"Factory is a new creative space merging gallery, club and venue. Kicking off in February, Factory will be a hub of Music, Art & Culture. Local and International emerging artists will be displayed alongside a line up of experimental nights and acts.
    We've got some great stuff lined up but if you think you have something to add get in touch as we're still open to submissions. If you're a local artist and want to showcase your work in this new space drop us a line. Or if you've got a innovative night in mind get in touch and we'd love to work with you."

It's basically opening up somewhere thats similar to what Cuba Live provided IMO.

I only know this because I worked there for a number of years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I was having a coffee in Java's last night 11.00-11.50pm, CPs had barriers along the footpath for the whole length of the road and a big team of bouncers.
    By 11.50 we had counted 15 people having gone into CPs. A few went in earlier and left again, the place was completely empty.

Do the "kids" go out to clubs a lot later now these days or what?

It always bugs me how they take ownership of the public footpath every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Not many people venture out on a Tuesday night. A lot of people would be saving themselves for the Arts Ball tonight too.

J o e wrote: »

It always bugs me how they take ownership of the public footpath every night.

Id imagine they have some say over the footpath in front of their premises same as other pubs and restaurants can take over the area in front of their premises with tables and chairs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

Clubbing in Galway is horrendous. Leave cuba closed unless your going to do something different with it. Almost every venue in Galway is the same thing just repackaged. The only good thing Galway had going for it in recent years was downstairs in the Cellar in my opinion. Then that changed hands and turned into a sitting room. I'm optimistic about the new Factory venue but after hearing it was part of CP's that went down the toilet along with Galway nightlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

As much as I would love to see Cuba reopen again, spent my entire undergrad in there! If it did open again it would either become like every other crap niteclub in Galway to make money or turn into a hipsters paradise to make money off that group of people. It used to cater to all musical tastes, metal night on Wednesdays years ago is one off the top of my head. I know that that wouldn't be able to draw in enough of a crowd nowadays to be profitable but it was that catering for every alternate music style that made it such a great spot!

I've seen pictures of that factory spot and heard stories off people that were in there and I didn't like anything about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

J o e wrote: »
    Do the "kids" go out to clubs a lot later now these days or what?

Yup. Most people stay in the house or the pub until just before 12.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭factual lies

Cuba is up for sale/rent at the moment

http://www.daft.ie/searchcommercial.daft?id=92759

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Was walking past today and saw the shutter in front of the Bar 903 door about halfway open and the the lights on inside.
    Anybody hear anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 GMusicMan

Cuba's been bought apparently?! Anybody know any details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

GMusicMan wrote: »
    Cuba's been bought apparently?! Anybody know any details?

From what I heard this evening it will be reopening within the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Yeah, looks like there's been someone working on it over the last week or so.

Seems like there has been a good bit of work going on there over the past few weeks.

903 seems to be getting a complete makeover and there's a new shutter in front of the entrance to Cuba!
    Here's hoping! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Id imagine they have some say over the footpath in front of their premises same as other pubs and restaurants can take over the area in front of their premises with tables and chairs etc.

Just spotted this now ...

It bugs Mr justMary too: these guys take over the entire footpath outside their premises, and half a dozen others too. Not just part of it, but the whole thing. Cannot count how many times I've been forced out into the road 'cos of them.

The other pubs etc that put chairs and tables out pay a license fee to the council for the use of the space, AFAIK. I bet the nightclub queues don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I ended up getting stopped by the bouncers at Karma or whatever its called now one night when I wasnt even going in there. I was looking across the road and hadnt realised I was on the inside of their stupid barriers lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I was working there on monday and tuesday . They are still looking for someone to lease it , but there is loads of interest so id say it will reopen again shortly .
    It was a fairly popular spot anyone that asked about it all wanted bar 903 open the same as before it closed .

moy83 wrote: »
    I was working there on monday and tuesday . They are still looking for someone to lease it , but there is loads of interest so id say it will reopen again shortly .
    It was a fairly popular spot anyone that asked about it all wanted bar 903 open the same as before it closed .

What kind of work is going on in there? Any changes being made to the actual club part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

No changes they are just tidying the place up really

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

http://www.galwaynews.ie/25106-eyre-square-nightclub-reopen-under-new-management

F*ck yes. Galway hasn't been the same since this place closed. Not sure what new management means hopefully it be similar to what it used to be. Alternate disco with byrno upstairs on a saturday night was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Doubtful who ever opens it will run as their own nightclub. Plus all the DJ's that used to DJ there probably have their own commitments to other nightclubs. Bad idea opening it in a few weeks mid exams as the students leave to go home/J1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

empacher wrote: »
    Bad idea opening it in a few weeks mid exams as the students leave to go home/J1.

Yeah especially considering nothing ever happens in Galway during the Summer talk about a ghost town :D

Advertisement