Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba nightclub (now Bentley)

Options
  • 15-01-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

its awful to see cuba sitting there empty. has anyone heard of anything happening to it? i see the cellar back opened wonder would they open cuba too...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Doubt it, even Cp's is dead these days. The other nightclubs are probably scraping by mid week. Hopefully I'm wrong tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 stevendcarroll

Not sure on the legitimacy of this but i heard it's to re-open soon, although this wouldn't be the first time this rumor went around! Fingers crossed though that we might see a new night club in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

No need for any new nightclubs in town when the rest are struggling for numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Passed by it before the Christmas and there were a few people working in there, carpenters I think? Only seen them on 2 or 3 occasions and didnt see them again after that. No idea as to why they were there though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Nightclubs were packed Mon,Weds, Thurs last week....

Cuba was awful anyway. Music was a nice change, but it was one of the worst layouts to a club I've ever seen.

• Advertisement

Something new happening soon on Abbygate st! Only heard about it myself a few mins ago.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/191088117656459?sk=info

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

brembo26 wrote: »
    Something new happening soon on Abbygate st! Only heard about it myself a few mins ago.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/191088117656459?sk=info
    Isn't 36 Abbeygate St where CPs is?

Isn't 36 Abbeygate St where CPs is?

I was just gona say that, only clicked there. Must be a theme night or something? Dont really know anything about it yet to be fair.

It seems that late bars are becoming the norm now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Nightclubs were packed Mon,Weds, Thurs last week....

Cuba was awful anyway. Music was a nice change, but it was one of the worst layouts to a club I've ever seen.

That's because it was the first week back for students, which is always going to be busy. Apart from weeks like this the clubs aren't doing enough mid-week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Would love to see Bar 903 open again at least! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

brembo26 wrote: »
    I was just gona say that, only clicked there. Must be a theme night or something? Dont really know anything about it yet to be fair.

Found this on their Facebook page, posted two hours ago:
    For all those who've been curious about Factory, we are a creative collective that has taken over a space in Central Park and we are redeveloping it as a new venue for Galway. We will have our own entrance off the street, but you will be able to move between both spaces as you wish through a door that connects the two venues X

Cheers for that, sounds alright :P Must check it out when it opens ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Actually I've seen work going on a couple of doors down from CP's.
    Behind the blocked out windows covered in CP's logo's!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

There were one or two areas Cps weren't using any more. Sounds interesting.

I'm one of the people who misses Cuba. Yes, the layout was not great but I had many a good night there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

If they are using the same door staff/policy as CPs us arty types wont be allowed in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It seems that late bars are becoming the norm now.

I want more wine bars. Does this mean that I have become my mother?

I hope not because the next thing she did was take up fishing and I hate fishing.

I miss Cuba though, miss knowing that it's there. I spent so much time and money in there and loved every second.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Never went east of the Corrib after midnight once Cuba closed. Stayed West or headed West. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Stayed West or headed West. :p
    Me too. I remember when the Cellar closed a bunch of us were talking about it while having pints in Monroes. As much as we didn't like the idea that it had closed, we realised that none of us had been there in years :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Great,another place to avoid like the plague.

Central Park repackaged & resold to the same mucky farmers in awful shirts & fake tanned 'ladies'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

barryd09 wrote: »
    Central Park repackaged & resold to the same mucky farmers in awful shirts & fake tanned 'ladies'
    Calm down lad. Shur it gives me somethin to be at after the spuds are payled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

-Vega- wrote: »
    Doubt it, even Cp's is dead these days. The other nightclubs are probably scraping by mid week. Hopefully I'm wrong tho :(

Really? Back in my day (college 2003-2007) one club was busy one night of the week with students. GPO, is it still free for students on Monday?

Do they not drink as much anymore or just house parties or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I think that late bars are where it's at nowadays, although to be honest I'm not sure if that's true or if it's more so the case that I'm totally out of touch with the kids!
    I did hear a chinese whisper about Cuba reopening soon. I'd love to see it reopened under the old concept, with the music they played - top floor was always our go-to place, and we enjoyed many a night in Bar 903. Would hate to see the space used as another CPs-esque joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

I'm fairly sure cuba will never open again!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Cool wrote: »
    I think that late bars are where it's at nowadays, although to be honest I'm not sure if that's true or if it's more so the case that I'm totally out of touch with the kids!
    I did hear a chinese whisper about Cuba reopening soon. I'd love to see it reopened under the old concept, with the music they played - top floor was always our go-to place, and we enjoyed many a night in Bar 903. Would hate to see the space used as another CPs-esque joint.
    You are out of touch im fairly sure, students still go clubbing, its just the time is now about 1230 before they venture out as opposed to the queues of previous years at 1100, they also sneak in far more naggins etc than years gone by.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭coleria

I walked passed there on Saturday last and the place was filled with tools and carpenters, either gutting the place or renovating, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

coleria wrote: »
    I walked passed there on Saturday last and the place was filled with tools

i got to this point of your post and thought you were talking about a normal night in CPs

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

-Vega- wrote: »
    I was in Carbon last week (first time since name change) and it was packed to the rafters! Cheap drink + "good" music = more people!

I'm glad Cuba finished up because it got crazy with prices (€5 for pint/shot) but Bar903 closed with it, which had fantastic music! Anyways with it's closure it's brought more competition to the other clubs and more bars have become late bars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I'm fairly sure cuba will never open again!

You heard it here first folks... :cool:

• Advertisement

Suppose that means CPs wont be opening up the "bar one" section again. Its very rarely I'm in cps as we have moved onto Halo now due to getting a bit older but all through college we used to live in that section of CPs, some unreal nights there, would have liked them to open it again just as a reminder of the good times.

Advertisement