Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuba nightclub (now Bentley)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Rumour has it that they wanted to keep the name CUBA/903 but legally they weren't allowed. I know it's only a rumour but it's a fairly reliable rumour lol.
    Is your reliable insider source their Facebook update from a few days ago perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Nope. I don't do Facebook. Did they mention it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Rumour has it that they wanted to keep the name CUBA/903 but legally they weren't allowed. I know it's only a rumour but it's a fairly reliable rumour lol.

They took the lease on a building therefore had no right to the name. They were unwilling to buy the brand name which is very recognized in galway. They also illegally acquired the Cuba facebook page.

Then made numerous references to how they were going to maintain Cuba and it would be exactly like it was and better.

Now they're saying
    The Bently wrote:
    We're not Cuba anymore and are not trying to be! We're the Bentley and are going in a new direction!

Basically they're a bunch of turncoats only interested in another commercial comment. 150 odd comments on there promotional photos slating them. What do they do remove some photos and comments. Doesn't seem like they're goin in a new direction just one that panders to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

empacher wrote: »
    They took the lease on a building therefore had no right to the name. They were unwilling to buy the brand name which is very recognized in galway. They also illegally acquired the Cuba facebook page.

Then made numerous references to how they were going to maintain Cuba and it would be exactly like it was and better.

Now they're saying

Basically they're a bunch of turncoats only interested in another commercial comment. 150 odd comments on there promotional photos slating them. What do they do remove some photos and comments. Doesn't seem like they're goin in a new direction just one that panders to the masses.

If you dont like the place dont go there. They are setting up a business and creating jobs in the middle of a recession. Well done to them. If you dont like the pubs and clubs around the city rent or buy one yourself and set it up the way you want it.

barryd09 wrote: »
    No, pissed up arseholes thinking they are the bees knees listening to Rihanna & other equally sh1te music.

Surely theres enough of these venues and enough people to fill them already?

Sh*te music in your opinion, most people want to hear chart music on a night out.

Doesn't seem like they're goin in a new direction just one that panders to the masses.

i.e. trying to run a viable business.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I don't know why people expected it to be the same as Cuba, or that the new owners should be obligated to make it the same. Just because Cuba was full of crusties upstairs did not make it 'alternative', it was largely the same as anywhere else and it had the worst layout and decor of any club I've ever seen.

Listen here. If it wasn't for Geordie Shore night Galway would still be in the Bronze-Age.
    Funny because having seen people on their way to and from Geordie Shore nights, half of them looked to be made out of bronze!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Now they're saying

How'd they manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 arch69

cant wait for it to open again...loved Cuba back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

People will still go no matter how much complaining they do.
    Something that's new and has some novelty will be popular for a while.

Whether or not they are successful all depends on how they pitch the club in the opening few weeks.
    If it's ****e, expensive or attracts the wrong type of crowd then there's no coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Does anyone know if they're charging admission tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they're charging admission tonight?

Free in before 12 according to their Facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Red_Wake wrote: »
    How'd they manage that?

They contacted facebooks office in dublin told them they were the new onwers of the brand and were given the password

I don't know why people expected it to be the same as Cuba, or that the new owners should be obligated to make it the same.

People expected it to be similar to Cuba as they initially said it was Cuba "re-opening", and they're still saying re-opening. All the followers of the Facebook page had liked the page as they were fans of Cuba, if it's a new business, start a new page.

They also said "We will endeavour to stay true to the old Cuba while adding our own twist."

...which has now turned to...

"We're not Cuba and are not trying to be! We're the Bentley and are going in a new direction!" :rolleyes: :confused:

Nope. I don't do Facebook. Did they mention it there?

Yeap...
    As you are probably aware, the bar and nightclub known as ‘Cuba’ off Eyre square will re-open under new management on Thursday 28/06/12 @ 6pm and the Nighclub @11pm.

Unfortunately and despite our very best efforts, for legal reasons, we are unable to use the name Cuba or Bar 903.

After many late nights of brain-storming to come up with a fitting name we have decided to call the business THE BENTLEY.

The premises was previously called THE BENTLEY over 20 years ago and by all accounts it was one of the leading entertainment venues in the West at the time.

We at THE BENTLEY are intent on providing an unparalleled entertainment experience. We are very aware of the affection with which the people of Galway held Cuba. We will endeavour to stay true to the old Cuba while adding our own twist.

We are very much looking forward to this exciting project and would gratefully welcome your support.

Further information please email hello@thebentley.ie

Kind regards

Shane and James Broderick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't know why people expected it to be the same as Cuba, or that the new owners should be obligated to make it the same. Just because Cuba was full of crusties upstairs did not make it 'alternative', it was largely the same as anywhere else and it had the worst layout and decor of any club I've ever seen.

You sound like good craic.... Who the f*ck cares about layout and decor in a nightclub????

The gave the impression that they were bringing back Cuba in the early stages of their marketing campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

They contacted facebooks office in dublin told them they were the new onwers of the brand and were given the password

lol, whoever told you that is telling porkies. they probably got the pass off the ex-cuba employee who was in charge of running the FB page or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

MadYaker wrote: »

You sound like good craic.... Who the f*ck cares about layout and decor in a nightclub????

The gave the impression that they were bringing back Cuba in the early stages of their marketing campaign.

I don't think that could be called a 'marketing campaign'... A few promo photos and that's it.

Going to take a wander up shortly and see what it's like now. Looking forward to it!

Going to take a wander up shortly and see what it's like now. Looking forward to it!

I might end up there too tonight.
    I'm reserving any judgement until I see it.

Do ya think I'd get thrown out for doing a topless handstand? :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

MadYaker wrote: »
    This would explain why they spend a considerable amount of money paying people to plan and design nightclubs then would it? Moron.
    Mod note: user banned for that quip.

This would explain why they spend a considerable amount of money paying people to plan and design nightclubs then would it? Moron.

Honestly though, a fancy looking nightclub is great for promo shots etc, but at the end of the day it's gonna be filled with pissed people who couldn't give 2 sh*ts about the decor.

Plus most clubs are absolutely manky when fully lit up! :p

• Advertisement

Just went for a quick look. Before I go on, I must state that Cuba was my late teens and early/mid 20s, so I loved the place.

Through sober eyes:
    Pros:
    they kept the same layout for both Bar 903 and the club itself. Different furnishings and paint job but everything else is the same.
    Bar903 still has live acts, so hope they keep this up.
    Upstairs Cuba still plays different music to downstairs. Hopefully they'll go back to their alternative/rock roots.
    Their drink prices seem to remain the same. A bottle of Corona set me back €4.50.
    Their dress policy seems the same - I walked in with a pair of runners and nothing was said.

Cons:
    The staff seem slow and inexperienced, with trouble using the till system. To me it would seem like basics to ensure all staff are comfortable.
    At the time I was there, they kept blasting the smoke machine, which covered the whole bottom floor in a dense cloud.
    My own personal con: it seems to attract what I refer to as the CPs crowd.

So to sum up - looks like Cuba but isn't.

All of these cons will likely not mean a thing when I'm back there drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Their drink prices seem to remain the same. A bottle of Corona set me back €4.50.

Tuborg is €3 also
    At the time I was there, they kept blasting the smoke machine, which covered the whole bottom floor in a dense cloud.
    This happened in old Cuba also

PomBear wrote: »
    Tuborg is €3 also

This happened in old Cuba also

Really? Guess it's just that I've never been in sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

They seem to be getting a good crowd tonight!
    575390_334107066664305_720857839_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I went to have a look because I loved Cuba when it was open. Like Boney said, it was much the same. They've installed people in the bathrooms, which I hate. Also, like Cuba of old, it was roasting. Everyone was dripping with sweat upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

PomBear wrote: »
    They seem to be getting a good crowd tonight!
    575390_334107066664305_720857839_n.jpg

Tbh the Cuba of old was notorious for holding up the queue. Free in till 12 they'd say you'd eventually get in at 5 past and it would be next to empty. Hmmm. Hard to know if this place will do well tbh, are they opening a new club in CPs place or are they just leaving it as factory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Hearing a few complaints about bar staff on facebook. Was it that they were slow/inexperienced?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I got off a bus at 1am and wandered up to get a cab from Pro-cabs as they are fixed fare from the office which saves me about €4 over getting a cab from the rank.

They (The Bently) in all their wisdom have placed the smoking area infront of the cab office so to even get in to the office I had to walk through a throng of drunk dickheads.
    The was like looking at CP's being transplanted to the top of Eyre Square.

In short...

36foho.jpg

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Hearing a few complaints about bar staff on facebook. Was it that they were slow/inexperienced?

In fairness its only the first night and probably a till system they're not used to.

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »
    In fairness its only the first night and probably a till system they're not used to.

Honestly? That's not really a good enough reason. They're opening up in effectively what could possibly be one of the busiest weekends of the summer, so surely they would have ensured that all staff members received adequate training on the till systems.

Advertisement