Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And there you have it, TLOU2 is out on June 19th.

https://twitter.com/playstation/status/1254803716005396481?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Further than I'd thought, and Ghost of Tsushima getting pushed to back 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Can't wait for Ghost of Tsushima.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

J. Marston wrote: »
    Can't wait for Ghost of Tsushima.

Wish I could be. At the moment I don't even know what the game is. For me Sucker Punch haven't made a good game since the Sly games.

Could surprise us and be like Horizon, a perfectly competent game from a previously bad studio. Or it could be like Sony Bend and be true to form with Days Gone, a risible uninteresting borefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,609 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wish I could be. At the moment I don't even know what the game is. For me Sucker Punch haven't made a good game since the Sly games.

Could surprise us and be like Horizon, a perfectly competent game from a previously bad studio. Or it could be like Sony Bend and be true to form with Days Gone, a risible uninteresting borefest.

Harsh on days gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,973 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I really liked the Infamous games but from what I know of this it's nothing like Infamous.
    I'll need to look into it more and see what it involves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,149 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Infamous was everything I hated. Bland open world and black and white morality system.

And days gone was similar. Not my types of games!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,926 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Infamous was everything I hated. Bland open world and black and white morality system.

And days gone was similar. Not my types of games!

Ah now, bit harsh imo. The Infamous games did what they did really well. Yes, very black and white, but imo that's the way most people would go in those circumstances. It was an OTT powers game and it done that really well.

Agree with Days Gone though, very dull and didn't pull me in. But because of how much I enjoyed Infamous, I've great hope that SP will deliver. It's going to be the Tenchu I hoped Sekiro would be (having not played Sekiro, but it's not Tenchu!).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I agree. Morally grey is overrated.

Good and evil are fun, especially so in Infamous' case. They're one of the few games where I instantly started another playthrough to go the opposite route.

They're also the black and white games where the answer is exactly as you'd expect it. Can't remember which game(s), but I used to hate multiple choice answers, and when you picked one the delivery/words were completely different. In Infamous, it was either a really good reply or a down right nasty/evil one, no grey area! I wasn't too much of a fan of the PS4 one, but the PS3 ones were really good.

I saw all this knowing that Retr0 and I have very different tastes on games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

They're also the black and white games where the answer is exactly as you'd expect it. Can't remember which game(s), but I used to hate multiple choice answers, and when you picked one the delivery/words were completely different. In Infamous, it was either a really good reply or a down right nasty/evil one, no grey area! I wasn't too much of a fan of the PS4 one, but the PS3 ones were really good.

La noir.

Doubt cue the main guy going ****ing nuts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Of course a power fantasy is going to have black and white choices, that's kinda the whole POINT of a power fantasy. An expression of ultimate gold or evil. Expecting moral subtly in Infamous feels like misplaced criticism to me.

Where black or white choices fail IMO is if they're antithetical to the preceding tone or themes mind you. They never worked in Bioshock because those games built had an intellectual grounding or complexity, or emphasized your relative small part in its existence. The Jesus or Hitler choices with the Little Sister broke that spell of ambiguity every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,973 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

J. Marston wrote: »
    I agree. Morally grey is overrated.

Good and evil are fun, especially so in Infamous' case. They're one of the few games where I instantly started another playthrough to go the opposite route.

This was me. First playthrough as good since taking my time with exploring and all so being more careful. Second playthrough right away as evil where can go through it quickly, not caring about innocent bystanders.

Let's hope these ME Trilogy remaster rumours are true, still haven't done a renegade playthrough of them!

But you've only got two choices and they are both boring. Either you play super good or super evil. There's no mixing and matching as you leave yourself weakened. It might as well boil down to a binary choice at the start of the game.

Tying a morality system to abilities and achievements is just dumb to me because there is no choice. The best WRPGs use choice to decide your own path but don't punish you, just give the palyer different choices in how to approach objectives.

Only time it's probably worked was KOTOR and that's because the Star Wars universe is pretty black and white, light and dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

You can tie some outcomes and choices to player stats and not have it be so morally black and white. Disco Elysium builds a whole system out of having your various neuroses and tics push you into different decisions, where failure is itself an interesting outcome.

I dunno, the more grey the more realistic, and I tend to not want my games to be too realistic, what with gaming being an escape from realism. Make me super powerful, and let me be the Hero or the Dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,687 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I love Mass Effect Trilogy but it had an awful morality system. You got the best rewards by going all good or all bad so you got punished if you wanted to play the game 'your way'. Some people deserve to be spared and some deserve to be punched in the face but it becomes automatic where you pick the blue or red option based on the playthrough you choose from the start or miss out.

Witcher 3 did a fairly good job of letting me choose various options but never punishing me.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I love Mass Effect Trilogy but it had an awful morality system. You got the best rewards by going all good or all bad so you got punished if you wanted to play the game 'your way'. Some people deserve to be spared and some deserve to be punched in the face but it becomes automatic where you pick the blue or red option based on the playthrough you choose from the start or miss out.

Witcher 3 did a fairly good job of letting me choose various options but never punishing me.

Mass Effect gets soooooo much better when you.... you know... actually role play like a role playing game. And yet the game actively disincentives this. It's so badly handled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,176 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well here's a genre I never knew I needed in my life: extreme weather trucking simulator! Can't deny those physics are giving me a brainer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

All morality systems do is leave me riddled with guilt that I might have been mean to, and upset, that random NPC 2 hours ago. To the point where I have reloaded save points :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,465 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Telltale Games were often horrible for that. You'd select something to say and they'd either say it in a completely different tone than you'd imagined, or they'd add something else to it changing the meaning of it.

As for the black/white morality of the Infamous games, yeah it was always a bit of a bummer where your choice is generally either "Give hungry innocent people food" or "Keep it, because f*ck those pr*cks!", but it's just a gameplay mechanic for either increasing your powers of protection/precision (good) or destructive/mayhem (evil). So yeah it'd be better if you just made your choice at the start whether to be good or evil and remove the choices from within the game. I enjoyed the PS4 Infamous game though. It looked and played fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well here's a genre I never knew I needed in my life: extreme weather trucking simulator! Can't deny those physics are giving me a brainer...

I'll have to give that a go sometime.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So Gears Tactics was released, and while I knew it was coming out, I just kinda thought this had 6 or 7 out of ten written all over it. Instead, this looks like it's kinda..... great, actually. RPS gave it their "Bestest Best" award.

If anyone wants to try it out, it's in Gamepass for PC, or Gamepass Ultimate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'll have to give that a go sometime.

That's a sequel to Mudrunner, which is also great. It's much cheaper, and it's also on Game pass for PC.

Sometimes I think Game pass should pay me for advertising, but I really do think it's one of the best deals going.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

CatInABox wrote: »
    So Gears Tactics was released, and while I knew it was coming out, I just kinda thought this had 6 or 7 out of ten written all over it. Instead, this looks like it's kinda..... great, actually. RPS gave it their "Bestest Best" award.

If anyone wants to try it out, it's in Gamepass for PC, or Gamepass Ultimate.

Its only out on pc atm though?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Gears Tactics finished installing for me (I love Gamepass) about 2 hours ago and I'm waiting for half 5 to roll around so I can give it a look. I always thought the Gears games were pretty boring and slow for something that was supposed to be all action, so it'll be nice to have a game that's meant to be slow :D

Its only out on pc atm though?

Yeah, just PC right now.

Nintendo is starting to close 3DS and WiiU eshops so if you want any games or DLC then I suggest buying it now. South america and Caribbean for now.

Kind of annoying as there's dlc I want, specifically from the fire emblem games, but you have to play these games to a certain point before you can purchase it and you can only purchase DLC from within the actual game.... So annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Nintendo once again proving that they're an awful company with massively anti-consumer practices and no one seems to ever call them on it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement