Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They could convert the engine to one that supports a lot more parallel processing. It would work fine then. Digital Foundry did a very good video and the issue with the game is it's still very much single threaded. It would work beautifully if they get it working in a multithread environment.

They are addinig Ray Tracing, my Pc just noped the fcuk out.

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/1250730403834605568

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭recyclops

i've never understood why when releasing a sequel to a massive game/ system seller/ exclusive they also don't release the previous title multiplat.

imagine if the last of us was released on Xbox just before they eventually release the last of us 2.

( i imagine its propably that sony/ ms dont want to use their consoles as marketing platforms, thats the only reason i could see why)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Don't know how much of a future crytek have in any case, they lost a load of staff and since they licensed their a version of their engine in it's entirety to Amazon as part of it's lumberyard engine they're competing with themselves.

This might be a last attempt to get some investment, can see the game selling well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,927 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Varik wrote: »
    Don't know how much of a future crytek have in any case, they lost a load of staff and since they licensed their a version of their engine in it's entirety to Amazon as part of it's lumberyard engine they're competing with themselves.

This might be a last attempt to get some investment, can see the game selling well.

Aren't there multiple crytek studios though? Some doing ok and others in trouble?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jason Schreier leaving Kotaku (no surprise given his overt disgust at the new owners in recent months). Glad to hear himself Kirk and Maddy are continuing on with their podcast though in a new guise :) Curious to hear where he ends up for the new day job.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1250801006461489155?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,226 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

very interested to see where he ends up.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Aren't there multiple crytek studios though? Some doing ok and others in trouble?

They had a load, all that remains is the German main studio, a Turkish one, and maybe some Ukrainian office space after that studio bought themselves out.

They've only had 1 game since **** hit the fan and they closed or sold off studios in 2016.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,927 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jason Schreier leaving Kotaku (no surprise given his overt disgust at the new owners in recent months). Glad to hear himself Kirk and Maddy are continuing on with their podcast though in a new guise :) Curious to hear where he ends up for the new day job.

One of the few actual journalists left in the industry.

Can't help but agree with the choice of picture to go out on either. That gorgeous scene from an incredible game.

Surprised anyone is hiring, would put money on it being a start up.

G/O got hit with layoffs recently with more likely to come. Reading Adweek to keep track of it, mass layoffs and furloughs everywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I'd suspect a startup venture, maybe something via Patreon, given the generally poor state of actual journalism in the games industry ATM I can't see him going to another outlet. The entire G/O media group has gone seriously down the toilet & been toying with removing it from my own list of daily visits (IO9 used to be a really strong SciFi site, but is a shadow of its former self).

Was always amusing the flack Schreier got - sometimes from this forum too - in just doing his job and shining a light on the shítty practises within the industry. Some people just not wanting to know how the sausage got made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jason had some great articles, week definitely be keeping an eye on where he ends up.

His goodbye article:

https://kotaku.com/press-sneak-out-1842900864/amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Was the game actually that good though? I remember playing it years after release, so I might have missed anything groundbreaking at the time. All I can remember about Crysis is how it required a beast to run. Can't actually remember anyone talking about the game itself!

Apparently Crysis was set in 2020, the game's first mission starts out on August 7.

Maybe a potential release date if they can manage it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was the game actually that good though? I remember playing it years after release, so I might have missed anything groundbreaking at the time. All I can remember about Crysis is how it required a beast to run. Can't actually remember anyone talking about the game itself!

I remember playing it around release, my rig at the time just about handling middling to high quality. The game itself was ... fine. Grand like, nothing particularly special or memorable TBH. It was the engine that stayed in the mind, and still does I guess. It remains a handsome looking engine, though j hope the remaster includes optimisation (you'd imagine the Switch version would need it)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

It was easily one of the best fps of the generation. It gave a lot of freedom in how to tackle a mission however you felt like. Top tier gunplay too. Faded away towards the end when aliens got involved though.

The console release absolutely butchered the suit controls though I thought. Hopefully this remaster keeps the original controls for pc.

Personally I think it was an overrated tech demo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Varik wrote: »
    Apparently Crysis was set in 2020, the game's first mission starts out on August 7.

Maybe a potential release date if they can manage it.

Given the way 2020 is going, they were probably worried the world would be destroyed by then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Had great destruction element to it. Nearly everything could be destroyed!

Probably spent more time at the start where you arrive at that bay as dawn breaks than i did with the rest of the game!

• Advertisement

I reckon I spent more time looking at the FPS counter than actually playing that game, one of the best benchmarking tools out there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The Cyberpunk themed XB1X.

Fugly, imo.

Got confused for a second with that, thought for a second it was going to be an Xbox series X rather than a Xbox one X.

Probably be better appreciated when the games out and we know what's what. Right now it just looks like a knock off walkman.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, doesn't look great to me, some interesting stuff on it, but it does look a bit ugly alright. Not TV ugly, just ugly ugly.

More interesting is that it's out in June, months before the game. Presume that they'll do a limited run on this, and then push Series X hard in the months after. If the Lockhart (second, cheaper next gen console) rumours are true, then I can't imagine that Microsoft will keep any Xbox One consoles in stores. That's probably why they've dropped the One X price recently, clearing the market for Series x.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ghost of Tsushima being delayed now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Ghost of Tsushima being delayed now

Did you see that confirmed? I saw rumours of 1st Aug new release date but nothing official

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Did you see that confirmed? I saw rumours of 1st Aug new release date but nothing official

I heard rumours but prob true

Canadian PSN store listed 1st Aug for a few hours when it got added, but it's listed 26 June again now.

• Advertisement

Hypixel Studio who are know for some minecraft stuff and whose founders are from Derry have set up a studio in there after getting bought by Riot.

They're working on a minecraft like block game that focuses more on RPG/Adventure side

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement