Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They formally announced the Cyberpunk console, along with a bunch of other stuff. The main thing to note is that it's the last limited edition One X being made, and only 45000. They're definitely trying to clear everything out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a transition like the Xbox => Xbox 360 again, where they pretty much dumped the Xbox from the market ASAP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did the same with the original Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Did the same with the original Xbox.

It's the original he's talking about.

The 360 itself was produced for almost another 3 years after the ONE came out. Coincidentally MS announced they were stopping on this day in 2016.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ah ok, read that wrong. Stupid Xbox naming conventions.

They dropped the 360 pretty quick as well. There was a barren few months leading up to the Xbox One launch and mostly third parties just towing the line. Was probably the same on PS3 but the PS3 had Japanese companies releasing weird and wonderful stuff on that machine for a good few months after the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

very interested to see where he ends up.
    He's after joining the Tech Team on Bloomberg News

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1252258407404404736?s=19

• Advertisement

I don't believe they will quickly drop One S and/or One X unless the rumoured cheaper system(s) comes to fruition.

Their whole approach now is that consoles are just an entry-point into their eco-system. The more entry points the better. When they get xCloud up and running properly they will want cheap devices for it incl something around €100 with a controller. One S can fit that bill so can I see it sticking around for a good few years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Says a lot about the G/O media owners when a company owned by Michael Bloomberg is a more appealing outfit for a reporter with a particular interest in labour issues :pac:

Honestly seems like a sensible fit given Schreier’s reporting interests. Sad but unsurprising he didn’t end up in a dedicated gaming outlet, but hard to imagine where else he could’ve ended up in that space other than *maybe* somewhere like Vox Media (although they’re taking a hammering with COVID-19).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, can't say I'd ever think of Bloomberg as a source of Games Media TBH, finding it an odd move myself. Games journalism is scarcely rigorous at the best of times but I'd have thought there might be somewhere more mainstream he might have gone. Sure who knows. Maybe Bloomberg will open more doors for his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I imagine the list of outlets willing to fund not just the longer form content Schreier is known for but also those whose subject matter tends to go beyond criticism of the products some of these companies make and to the very people and practices behind them, is pretty short.

It'll be interesting to see whether incidents like this this affect any reporting into the increasing amount of Chinese investment in Western studios, especially that which is tied to companies who foster demonstrably awful working practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

He's a scandal mongering liar. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,227 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, can't say I'd ever think of Bloomberg as a source of Games Media TBH, finding it an odd move myself. Games journalism is scarcely rigorous at the best of times but I'd have thought there might be somewhere more mainstream he might have gone. Sure who knows. Maybe Bloomberg will open more doors for his work.

From listening to him chat about it on Kinda Funny, he is moving away from the reviewing of games etc. Its going to be Games Industry stuff he will be talking about.

Will be interested in what his long format stuff is going to look like. Looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

From listening to him chat about it on Kinda Funny, he is moving away from the reviewing of games etc. Its going to be Games Industry stuff he will be talking about.

Will be interested in what his long format stuff is going to look like. Looking forward to it.

Yeah he’s shifted far more to labour and industry issues in recent years, so in that context a business publication is a sensible fit.

Think it’s fair at this stage to say his reporting has helped change the culture for the better at some of the worst-offending companies for crunch and the like (Rockstar in particular)... fingers crossed that sort of reporting continues :)

He is also continuing former Kotaku SplitScreen podcast as Triple Click, so in terms of engaging gaming on an enjoyment and fun level will remain.

It's called journalism and it's meant to expose the harsh truths some people can't accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

indeed, now i can get all my breaking news from the true fountains of information - basement dwelling incel neckbeards like the quartering and oneangrygamer.

/s - as if it were needed.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's called journalism and it's meant to expose the harsh truths some people can't accept.

No such thing as journalism anymore.

Secret sources uncorroborated by third parties, and now he's abandoned ship before the rest for a safe paycheck (assuming it is). Before this he was all about editorial independence and now he works for Bloomberg.

Does that video report on uncorroborated secret sources?

Varik wrote: »
    No such thing as journalism anymore.

This statement is complete and utter nonsense, I’m afraid to say Varik. Journalism is under severe pressure for a plethora of reasons too many to list, but there are great reporters still working diligently to report on things that matter and dig out the stories that wouldn’t otherwise be told.

Journalism is a tough career - it pays badly, resources are strained, and the traditional ways of funding it have collapsed or changed radically. But great work that holds power to account still happens regularly. The sheer partisan nature of modern discourse makes it hard to filter through the yelling, but journalism still happens and is as vital as ever (although all publications, regardless of their ethos or record, still need to be challenged and scrutinised too).

Gaming journalism is trickier again given the precarious financial situation of publications (and also to some degree the rather more trivial nature of the subject matter). But the important conversations that have been had about labour practices in the industry and some of the wild stories that have emerged about various projects’ development hell are the results of thorough, old-fashioned reporting. And as far as I’m concerned much of the best writing about games from a critical perspective still emerges from traditional outlets.
    now he's abandoned ship before the rest for a safe paycheck (assuming it is)

And dead right he is too. People (last I checked) need money to live, so if he can escape a toxic environment in G/O while getting a paying job in a fiercely embattled industry that’s hardly something to begrudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Would that be Michael "Evil Billionaire" Bloombergs company?

"Each man has his price, Bob, and yours was pretty low"

• Advertisement

Feel free to ask her for her sources. https://twitter.com/SophNar0747

So in addition to banning animal crossing China has also banned games with the following.

• Plagues
    • Zombies ( added to the already banned skeletons)
    • Map Editing
    • Role Playing
    • Organization/Clan/Union
    • online play or chat with foreigners.

Bunch of games have had calls to region lock chinese players to stem rampant cheating, some did so after a while but others still were dragging their feet but now choice is no longer theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Feel free to ask her for her sources. https://twitter.com/SophNar0747

lol RT.Com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

She works for Colin Moriarty so that basically explains all you need to know. He's been self isolating from everyone who doesn't kiss his ass for years, well before he left Kinda Shills.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't understand this idea of not hiring "right leaning" reviewers or journalists anyway. Surely the whole point is you should hire people based on their ability and talent rather than their personal opinions. And even then if the whole argument is to create balance in games journalism/reviews, do you have a left-leaning and right-leaning journalist write articles on the same topic each time? Have them both review the same game?

Surely if there was such an appetite for right-leaning games journalism/reviews, the likes of IGN or Kotaku don't need to hire them, but rather they'd be able to create their own platforms anyway, so the idea that IGN or Kotaku don't have right-leaning commentators or reviewers shouldn't matter. Colin Moriarty makes a decent amount himself. Others do too. There are other sites and platforms where right-leaning people do write articles and reviews, ones who quite obviously would never hire a left-leaning "SJW"-type reviewer for their own site.

Editorials and reviews will always be subjective and based on the opinions of the writer. It's very easy to find writers who have the same general political/social leanings as yourself. The idea of complaining that certain bigger companies aren't hiring those who are more aligned with some peoples views is just nonsense.

Penn wrote: »
    I don't understand this idea of not hiring "right leaning" reviewers or journalists anyway. Surely the whole point is you should hire people based on their ability and talent rather than their personal opinions. And even then if the whole argument is to create balance in games journalism/reviews, do you have a left-leaning and right-leaning journalist write articles on the same topic each time? Have them both review the same game?

Surely if there was such an appetite for right-leaning games journalism/reviews, the likes of IGN or Kotaku don't need to hire them, but rather they'd be able to create their own platforms anyway, so the idea that IGN or Kotaku don't have right-leaning commentators or reviewers shouldn't matter. Colin Moriarty makes a decent amount himself. Others do too. There are other sites and platforms where right-leaning people do write articles and reviews, ones who quite obviously would never hire a left-leaning "SJW"-type reviewer for their own site.

Editorials and reviews will always be subjective and based on the opinions of the writer. It's very easy to find writers who have the same general political/social leanings as yourself. The idea of complaining that certain bigger companies aren't hiring those who are more aligned with some peoples views is just nonsense.

Can you name these "Others"

You've one guy and a bunch of fringe sites.

I've no problem with right leaning political views. Or people with right leaning sensibilities.

Right 'leaning' is a term for someone with perspectives that mean moderately to the right.

The problem is with people that claim they are right leaning who are in fact full blown right wingers. People you can chalk up to Nazis, women haters and racists. People like the quartering.

The Americans would be screaming Communism if they had to deal with our own right wing parties of fine fail and fine Gael.

That distinction has unfortunately become muddied due to the American political climate where you have two political parties, the right wing democrat party, being labelled as left wing because they are being compared to the dangerously right wing neo liberal Republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Varik wrote: »
    Can you name these "Others"

You've one guy and a bunch of fringe sites.

But that's part of my point, if people do want specifically right-leaning writers/sites, they are there, fringe sites or not. If enough people wanted those and demand for same was so high, they would either have large platforms, or the existing large platforms would be hiring them.

It's not a case of them being silenced imo, but rather the demand for specifically right-leaning writers simply isn't that high. The majority of visitors to most games sites would have no idea of the political leanings of the writers from one article/review to the next.

So for those looking for specifically right-leaning writers, they are out there. I admit, I don't know of a lot of them bar the likes that RobertNinja regularly links to which in fairness if that's the quality of right-leaning writers I can see why bigger organisations don't hire them, but nevertheless they are out there. But if the demand for specifically right-leaning writers was so high, their platforms would be bigger.

I don't look for left-leaning writers, in many cases I don't even pay attention to who the writer is. I read whatever, and I agree or disagree. But it makes no sense to me to complain that bigger sites aren't hiring people who I'm more likely to agree with. If that was so important to me, I'd just find a site where those people are. Even if their platforms are smaller or relegated to fringe sites or small Youtube accounts, there are those who make a living from it (so the idea that they have to hide their political leanings to get work isn't completely accurate as right-leaning writers do and have created their own platforms) and if the demand for same was so high, the supply would also be much higher.

If you only go for the journalism you agree with and don't want to be challenged you end up with the Fox news echo chamber.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    But that's part of my point, if people do want specifically right-leaning writers/sites, they are there, fringe sites or not. If enough people wanted those and demand for same was so high, they would either have large platforms, or the existing large platforms would be hiring them.

It's not a case of them being silenced imo, but rather the demand for specifically right-leaning writers simply isn't that high. The majority of visitors to most games sites would have no idea of the political leanings of the writers from one article/review to the next.

So for those looking for specifically right-leaning writers, they are out there. I admit, I don't know of a lot of them bar the likes that RobertNinja regularly links to which in fairness if that's the quality of right-leaning writers I can see why bigger organisations don't hire them, but nevertheless they are out there. But if the demand for specifically right-leaning writers was so high, their platforms would be bigger.

I don't look for left-leaning writers, in many cases I don't even pay attention to who the writer is. I read whatever, and I agree or disagree. But it makes no sense to me to complain that bigger sites aren't hiring people who I'm more likely to agree with. If that was so important to me, I'd just find a site where those people are. Even if their platforms are smaller or relegated to fringe sites or small Youtube accounts, there are those who make a living from it (so the idea that they have to hide their political leanings to get work isn't completely accurate as right-leaning writers do and have created their own platforms) and if the demand for same was so high, the supply would also be much higher.

So no demand for right leaning writers, and you say most people don't go looking for politics (small p) you yourself included.

So having a right or left perspective shouldn't matter if the work itself is neutral.

But on the biggest site not even by chance do you have some split.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement