Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacquiao v Mayweather

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

Yurt wrote: »
    He used to rely heavily on his unbelievable physique as opposed to his natural talent.

Stopped reading here.

Stick to the soccer forum mate.

I'm kidding of course, welcome to the forums and all that jazz. The most important thing here is to think before you post. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

At a tiny 5'6 he took on everyone.

Sure it doesn't matter how tall or how strong they are, when they're drip drained dry they all stand there like skeletal punching bags. I'd beat the bollox out of Mayweather too if I waved onions in front of him and made him cry just to squeeze the last few drops of fluid out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Pacquiao will be recognised as a true great in times to come. Amazing career.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,727 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think far too much is being made about Cotto and Magarito being drip drained. Margarito was allowed fight at 150 lbs. He had almost 20 lbs on Manny on fight night.

Margarito fought Mosley at 147. He boxed Cotto a while back and was 152 lbs. Cotto came in at 145 lbs. A lb here or there. He was dominated. It wasn't close. Yes, Oscar was drained. But let's not to make out that Manny drip drained the other two.

BTW, I am as much a Floyd Fan as a Many fan. Both are exceptional talents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

walshb wrote: »
    I think far too much is being made about Cotto and Magarito being drip drained. Margarito was allowed fight at 150 lbs. He had almost 20 lbs on Manny on fight night.

Margarito fought Mosley at 147. He boxed Cotto a while back and was 152 lbs. Cotto came in at 145 lbs. A lb here or there. He was dominated. It wasn't close. Yes, Oscar was drained. But let's not to make out that Manny droip drained the other two.

BTW, I am as much a Floyd Fan as a Many fan. Both are exceptional talents.

Same. I like them equally and appreciate them in different ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ghost.

- a few non-regular posters here making fairly absurd claims about floyd and manny, Ghost and Otto in particular. Listen if you don't like Floyd fair enough, but you're arguing weak points against the wrong posters. The posters here are fairly knowledgeable about the sport of boxing and some of the stuff you lads have posted is ignorant at best, and trolling at worst.

Im only voicing my opinion which Im entitled to do on the forum, regular poster or not. I call it how I see it and other 'regular posters' have argued me wrong. Whats wrong with that? If everyone worshipped Mayweather like you do and thought him invincible there would be no point to this forum, or any of the mentioned fighters even fighting him. He is an all time great, but a lot of people do think he is beatable and thats why we are here. Sorry if thats upsetting for you.
    And the only person posting here who I would consider a troll is you. Everyone else makes sense even if you agree with them or not.
    - Ghost, any connection to Robert Guerrero? Judging some of your posts I'm beginning to wonder if you're his brother/mother/relative trying to rouse up interest in a Mayweather payday.

No just to put your mind at ease Im not related or trying to rouse up interest in a Manny Mayweather payday.Your poor judgement of peoples posts and fighters ability is nothing new from the looks of things. I couldnt give a toss which of them wins if it happens. Im intersted in boxing and thats a fight Id like to see thats why Im posting on this forum. If you arent interested in it why are you here?
    Yes there are plenty of very knowledgeable posters here whos opinions I respect even if I dont 100% agree with. However you are definitely not in that group.

I happen to think Ghost's posts are fair, honest and balanced. Not everyone will always agree. Isn't that what makes debates interesting.

My motto. No need to denigrate one fighter in order to praise another. Just stick to the facts, and give a fair and honest opinion on subjective matters.

Examples:

Fact: Mayweather was never on MABs radar.

Subjective: Cotto's 2009 performance was hampered by having to make 145 lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Lads any more troll talk and the ban hammer will be coming out, this forum is known for mature debate so lets keep it that way and report posters if you think their trolling.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

@walshb;82253546

I happen to think my posts are fair, honest and balanced. Not everyone will always agree. Isn't that what makes debates interesting.

My motto. No need to denigrate one fighter in order to praise another. Just stick to the facts, and give a fair and honest opinion on subjective matters.

Examples:

Fact: Manny Pacquiao has beaten the bigger names on his CV than Mayweather

Subjective: Hatton's 2009 performance was hampered by having to make 145 lbs against Mayweather very unfair of Mayweather to make Hatton the smaller man fight at 145 Ibs.

;)

Lads just a few points to make:

- a few non-regular posters here making fairly absurd claims about floyd and manny, Ghost and Otto in particular. Listen if you don't like Floyd fair enough, but you're arguing weak points against the wrong posters. The posters here are fairly knowledgeable about the sport of boxing and some of the stuff you lads have posted is ignorant at best, and trolling at worst. Saying Floyd should call out Danny Garcia is laughable. Making comments about Floyd dodging morales and barrera is ignorant.

Fair enough on Garcia! but it's fact Manny jumped up 2 weight classes and DLH dropped one so they could fight.... So now, how am my claims Floyd dodged morales and barrera ignorant?? I think its a fair point to bring up they were 2 of the best fighters at that time and Floyd prides himself on being the best...
    It's fact that if they fought now Floyd would embarrass Manny. If they fought in 2009/2010 Floyd would have won.

Ha Ha how can opinion be FACTS!!! the only poster on here who seems to be making ignorant claims is yourself!
    Finally, some posters here should be aware of the old adage, "Only the spoon knows what is in the pot".

Says the poster who has been to the future and watched Pacquiao v Mayweather :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

In terms of p4p as in moving up in weight class not necciseraly how good but in terms of moving up in weights manny is in my view top 3 of all time along with Armstrong and Jones JR

otto_26 wrote: »
    @Subjective: Hatton's 2009 performance was hampered by having to make 145 lbs against Mayweather very unfair of Mayweather to make Hatton the smaller man fight at 145 Ibs.

;)

Your opinions may be honest, but they are very misguided. Hatton was allowed make weight up to 147 lbs. He came in at 145 lbs. Mayweather had ZERO to do with this. Mayweather did NOT make Hatton come in at 145 lbs. This has nothing to do with subjectivity. It's fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Will this debate ever end? Just can't ever see it happening at this stage.
    I like mayweather and pacquiao both as fighters but I can't stand floyd as a person, his arrogance and all this "money team" rubbish is cringe worthy.
    If floyd carried himself the way manny does in the media he would be loved by alot more people!

Really, completely unbiased and impartial:

Who was the real blame for the fight not happening?

I have to go with PBF. And the main reason or obstacle was the drugs testing.

Funny thing is, Floyd beats Manny either way. Why the call for tests? He must have had some fear of losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

This is an inerview Pacquiao gave on American tv about Mayweather fight, while he was doing promotion for his fight with Marquez.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L5IT_9AsoE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

This is an inerview Pacquiao gave on American tv about Mayweather fight, while he was doing promotion for his fight with Marquez.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L5IT_9AsoE

It looked like a weigh in without the fighters, very set up me thinks.

Your opinions may be honest, but they are very misguided. Hatton was allowed make weight up to 147 lbs. He came in at 145 lbs. Mayweather had ZERO to do with this. Mayweather did NOT make Hatton come in at 145 lbs. This has nothing to do with subjectivity. It's fact!

That's my point it benefits the bigger man (Floyd) the heavier they go!!!!!!

Why not fight at 140lbs oh wait that would not have benefited someone!!

That's my point it benefits the bigger man (Floyd) the heavier they go!!!!!!

Why not fight at 140lbs oh wait that would not have benefited someone!!

Well, if that was your point I don't think you were at all clear with it.

As to 140 lbs? Well, Floyd had not been a LWW for a couple of years. He was now a WW. Hatton wanted this fight. Floyd accepted Hatton's challenge. What was Floyd to do? Starve himself to make 140 lbs?

It would be better if you simply said that Hatton was not a real WW and was not going to be a threat to Floyd. You are making it out as if Floyd engineered the fight to suit himself. That is not what happened.

It would be better if you simply said that Hatton was not a real WW and was not going to be a threat to Floyd. You are making it out as if Floyd engineered the fight to suit himself. That is not what happened.

Not at all i'm simply suggesting:

Hatton's 2009 performance was hampered by having to make 145 lbs against Mayweather very unfair of Mayweather to make Hatton the smaller man fight at 145 Ibs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Hatton's 2009 performance was hampered by having to make 145 lbs against Mayweather very unfair of Mayweather to make Hatton the smaller man fight at 145 Ibs.

So what do you explain about de la Hoya been huge against Floyd and withered and barely able to move v Manny?! That was ridiculous draining of Oscar, cutting to most fighters is normal but not when it's cutting like Oscar had too, that extra weight cut was for a reason, not to make him lighter but to make him drained in both strength and speed and punch resistance.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

How can we take you serious when you insist that Hatton had to make 145 lbs? I already explained that this was not the case. He was allowed make weight up to 147 lbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

How can we take you serious when you insist that Hatton had to make 145 lbs? I already explained that this was not the case. He was allowed make weight up to 147 lbs.

I wonder what he thought of Floyd coming in a 148lbs for the fight with Cotto at 154lbs ?

"HOUSTON -- The fourth fight between Juan Manuel Marquez and Manny Pacquiao generated about 1.15 million buys on HBO PPV, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Saturday.

Throughout the promotion for the fight, which took place last Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, apparent fan fatigue resulting from their three previous bouts was evident, and after a bit of an admittedly slow promotion, Arum said that the pay-per-view projections were sluggish -- until the buys picked up significantly on the final day with a rush that he said helped push the fight into seven figures.

The final numbers were not in yet, but HBO did not dispute Arum's figure, which means the fight will generate in the neighborhood of $70 million in domestic television revenue.

Rafael's Boxing Blog
    Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

"We are happy. It's a very big success," Arum said Saturday morning, hours before his Nonito Donaire-Jorge Arce junior featherweight title fight was to air on HBO (9:30 p.m. ET/PT), along with a replay of Marquez-Pacquiao IV. "The number of buys on the last day was disproportionately large. We were tracking a lot less until the last day and then we did a land rush of business. It built and built."

Marquez knocked Pacquiao out in stunning fashion, landing a flush right hand with one second left in the sixth round of their welterweight fight. Marquez trails the all-time series 2-1-1, meaning a fifth fight in 2013 is likely.

The pay-per-view figure was an improvement over Pacquiao's fight with Timothy Bradley Jr. in June, in which Pacquiao lost his welterweight title on a tremendously controversial split decision. That fight did about 900,000 buys.

Marquez-Pacquiao IV did just a shade less than the third fight between them in November 2011. That fight did 1.25 million buys. Their second fight in 2008 did 407,000 buys and their first fight in 2004 was live on HBO, not on pay-per-view.

Marquez-Pacquiao IV likely will wind up doing equal or more in overall TV revenue than the third fight, however, because the fourth fight cost $59.95 and the third fight was $54.95, not to mention a higher cost to buy it in high definition.

Pacquiao's biggest pay-per-views are his third fight with Marquez and a bout with Oscar De La Hoya at about 1.25 million each; fights with Miguel Cotto and Shane Mosley at about 1.2 million each; and his Antonio Margarito bout and Marquez IV at about 1.15 million each.

Six of Pacquiao's last nine fights have topped 1 million buys. His last nine have done at least 710,000.

The fight is also the third time Marquez has been in a PPV that did more than 1 million buys -- Pacquiao III and IV plus his loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2009, which sold 1.1 million units.

Marquez-Pacquiao IV was also a big hit at the gate, generating $10,888,890 in revenue from the sale of 15,403 tickets, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission. There were no tickets unsold and 908 complimentary tickets were given away.

The fight generated the 13th biggest gate in Nevada history, in between the 1996 rematch between Mike Tyson and Frank Bruno ($10,673,700) and Mayweather-Shane Mosley in 2010 ($11,032,100).

Ah God this is so hard.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: CONCENTRATE will ya!!!!

Hatton is best at 140lbs the fact that he had to move up to 145lbs to suit the bigger man was hindering him let alone moving up to 147lbs.

You really think Hatton was a 147lbs fighter... No he wasn't. ANYTHING ABOVE 140lbs WAS A HINDERING HATTON. Especially when up against a bigger man.

Please say you understand this!!!

Ah God this is so hard.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: CONCENTRATE will ya!!!!

Hatton is best at 140lbs the fact that he had to move up to 145lbs to suit the bigger man was hindering him let alone moving up to 147lbs.

You really think Hatton was a 147lbs fighter... No he wasn't. ANYTHING ABOVE 140lbs WAS A HINDERING HATTON. Especially when up against a bigger man.

Please say you understand this!!!

Again, you seem to be struggling to get your point across. No need for the faces either. It's not too difficult.

Mayweather did not call out Hatton. Hatton called out Mayweather, who at that time was an established WW boxer. Mayweather was NOT a LWW boxer in 2007/2006.

The fight was at WW. This was because Mayweather was a WW. Hatton chose to move to WW to meet Mayweather. Also, Hatton had a couple of bouts as a WW prior to meeting Mayweather at WW.

Yes, Hatton above 140 lbs was not the same man as he was at 140 lbs. Who said otherwise, or who is arguing this? Also, the WW limit was more favorable to Mayweather, as it was Mayweather who was now a more natural WW. Again, nobody is arguing otherwise on this.

The point that I made that seems lost on you is that Hatton called out Mayweather, and Hatton moved to WW to meet Mayweather. Otherwise the fight would never have happened. Mayweather was not going to boil down to 140 lbs. That is ridiclulous.

Again, you seem to be struggling to get your point across. No need for the faces either. It's not too difficult.

Mayweather did not call out Hatton. Hatton called out Mayweather, who at that time was an established WW boxer. Mayweather was NOT a LWW boxer in 2007/2006.

The fight was at WW. This was because Mayweather was a WW. Hatton chose to move to WW to meet Mayweather. Also, Hatton had a couple of bouts as a WW prior to meeting Mayweather at WW.

Yes, Hatton above 140 lbs was not the same man as he was at 140 lbs. Who said otherwise, or who is arging this? Also, the WW limit was more favorable to Mayweather, as it was Mayweather who was now a more natural WW. Again, nobody is arguing otherwise on this.

The point that I made that seems lost on you is that Hatton called out Mayweather, and Hatton moved to WW to meet Mayweather. Otherwise the fight would never have happened. Mayweather was not going to boil down to 140 lbs. That is ridiclulous.

So, what was the alternative? Fight at 140 lbs? Would that not be unfair to Floyd having to boil down to a weight that he was finished with for 2 plus years?

So, what was the alternative? Fight at 140 lbs? Would that not be unfair to Floyd having to boil down to a weight that he was finished with for 2 plus years?

Maybe 143lbs making it 50/50 fair for both fighters..

• Advertisement

Maybe 143lbs making it 50/50 fair for both fighters..

I can see your point. Still don't think Mayweather deserves criticising. Hatton deserves criticising for coming in 2 lbs light. Not that 2 lbs would have seen him victorious.

Advertisement