Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacquiao v Mayweather

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Ghost.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ghost. viewpost.gif
    Id agree with that.

You'd be wrong!

Id be right.

The same way Khan would cause trouble for Floyd, it would be the same with De La Hoya fighting him but with a far better chin.
    It would be a bad fight for Mayweather. Just my opinion.

As for Manny, I think his speed more that his strength would be what could cause Floyd bother. As I said Floyd looks less impressive when fighting fighters who he doesnt have a hugh advantage in speed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Ghost. wrote: »
    Id be right.

The same way Khan would cause trouble for Floyd, it would be the same with De La Hoya fighting him but with a far better chin.
    It would be a bad fight for Mayweather. Just my opinion.

As for Manny, I think his speed more that his strength would be what could cause Floyd bother. As I said Floyd looks less impressive when fighting fighters who he doesnt have a hugh advantage in speed over.

Floyd is faster than Manny, I don't know where you see Manny with this speed!!
    plus with Manny's habit of jumping in with attacks he would get battered by floyds right hand.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Ya, he has that nasty habit of jumping in at times. But it has worked for him so far barr that one time it worked out really really bad for him with Marquez and he went for a nighty night snoozey snooze. I wouldnt think he will get caught like that again.
    Floyd is faster than Manny, I don't know where you see Manny with this speed!!
    Pacquiao isnt fast!!! We must be on about two different Manny Pacquiaos, because that lad from the phillippines is plenty fast and it has been a big factor in his success in the sport. Sure his speed may be on the slide but so is Mayweathers. Cotto showed a bit of that & chinks in his armour.
    he would get battered by floyds right hand.
    Maybe, but I dont see MP just going in there and following Mayweathers script. I might be wrong. If they fight make sure to tell me you told me so:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Tucker.Tim wrote: »
    do you expect anyone to take you seriously when your response to someone is that's nonsense? :rolleyes:

to the others:

i'm sorry if i've wrecked the floyd love-in but pressure is the one thing that works on mayweather and manny's game is perfect for counter-acting mayweather. he gets inside mayweather even once and floyd will be getting the biggest battering of his life.

To be fair it was nonsense.

I don't think it's a Floyd love-in it's just people are being realistic.

Manny's defense isn't near good enough and with Floyd's speed and accuracy i think it's an easy win on points or KO for Floyd.

Manny struggles against counter punchers and Mayweather is the master of this. Mayweather is an extremely intelligent fighter which would be a nightmare for Manny.

Manny could pressure him all night long it doesn't matter, Mayweathers defense, accuracy and size would all be to much for Pac-Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Manny Pacquiao has by far the better opponents on his CV than Mayweather...WAY BETTER..

Where was Mayweather 6 years ago why wasn't he fighting Marquez then??

Why didn't he fight Barrera?
    Why didn't he fight Morales?
    Why didn't he fight Pacquiao after the De La Hoya fight?

It's great having a unbeaten record but surely not fighting the best fighters of your time kinda takes away from that record...

Is he going to fight Danny García?? I defo think not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,727 ✭✭✭✭walshb

otto_26 wrote: »
    Manny Pacquiao has by far the better opponents on his CV than Mayweather...WAY BETTER..

Is he going to fight Danny García I defo think not!

It's great having a unbeaten record but surely not fighting the best fighters of your time kinda takes away from that record...

Seriously, run a time-line check on those names, weights etc. Floyd was never on their radar and had he been he would have beaten Morales and MAB comfortably.

BTW, what is Garcia to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Is he going to fight Danny García?? I defo think not!
    Barrera was never in the same weight class as Mayweather, Barrera stayed in 130 for most of his career. Mayweather has been at 140 and onto 146 since 2004. The same with Morales, they're operating at lower weight classes than Mayweather.
    When Mayweather fought De La Hoya in 2007 he weighed 150, Pacquiao fought Barrera five months later and Marquez ten months later weighing 130 so there was a massive 20 pound difference them in 2007 hence why I doubt it would've been on the cards

walshb wrote: »
    Seriously, run a time-line check on those names, weights etc. Floyd was never on their radar and had he been he would have beaten Morales and MAB comfortably.

BTW, what is Garcia to do with anything?

Floyd was never on their radar!!! Id say they were never on his!! I know well why he never fought them.. And the most important think to remember is he didn't fight them so saying he would have beaten them means absolutely nothing...

Garcia is a unbeaten professional boxer.

Floyd was never on their radar!!! Id say they were never on his!! I know well why he never fought them.. And the most important think to remember is he didn't fight them so saying he would have beaten them means absolutely nothing...

Garcia is a unbeaten professional boxer.

Well, say all you want but it doesn't change the actual facts that Dotsey has pointed out. Your fights with MAB and Erik can only be fantasy fights. They could not have been made in reality.

Well, say all you want but it doesn't change the actual facts that Dotsey has pointed out. Your fights with MAB and Erik can only be fantasy fights. They could not have been made in reality.

Well, say all you want but it doesn't change the actual facts Manny Pacquiao's CV has the bigger names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Well, say all you want but it doesn't change the actual facts Manny Pacquiao's CV has the bigger names.

and losses!! HE'S BEEN KO'D 3 Times and beat on points 2 more times, add Marquez other 3 potential wins and it could be 8 losses!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

That is something we can debate; your other points about MAB and Erik were off the mark.

cowzerp wrote: »
    and losses!! HE'S BEEN KO'D 3 Times and beat on points 2 more times, add Marquez other 3 potential wins and it could be 8 losses!!

Ha Ha real desperation here OK Manny lost 8 times! But still doesn't take away from the FACTS he has the bigger names on his CV.

A real Floyd fan here!! Any name I mention Floyd would beat and any win Manny had is a loss!! = Floyd the best!!

It doesn't matter on the quality of opposition it's all about 0 losses :rolleyes:

Hey do you think Floyd will call Marquez out for a fight? I think not!!

Hey do you think Floyd will call Danny Garcia out for a fight? I think not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Pacquiao's CV also has a draw and a defeat to Marquez and a loss to Morales which are facts

Mayweather has.. Coralles, Castillo, Gatti, De La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, Cotto
    Pacquiao has.. Morales, Barrera, Marquez, De La Hoya, Hatton, Mosley, Cotto so a similar list of names on both CV's

Mayweather fought De La Hoya with DLH at 154 whereas Pac brought him down to 145 which is a weight DLH hadn't been at in over 10 years.

Its a similar story with Hatton, Mosley and Cotto all fighting Pac at "catch weights". Marquez looked washed up against Mayweather and didn't win a round yet goes on to by all accounts beat Pac on points and then knock him out at the age of 39 which I think tells it's own tale. And Mayweather's victory against Marquez was so one sided there's no hope he would bother to fight him again

Hey do you think Floyd will call Danny Garcia out for a fight? I think not!!

That's twice now you have mentioned Garcia. I am beginning to think that maybe you haven't seen much of Floyd. What sort of threat would a 140 lb Garcia be to PBF?

Oh, and at 147 Floyd would give Juan a heaver defeat today than what he gave him at the end of 2009.

Dotsey wrote: »
    Pacquiao's CV also has a draw and a defeat to Marquez and a loss to Morales which are facts

Mayweather has.. Coralles, Castillo, Gatti, De La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, Cotto
    Pacquiao has.. Morales, Barrera, Marquez, De La Hoya, Hatton, Mosley, Cotto so a similar list of names on both CV's

Similar but Manny still has the bigger names on his CV and did a better job on ALL the same opponents as Mayweather kinda says it all really!!
    Mayweather fought De La Hoya with DLH at 154 whereas Pac brought him down to 145 which is a weight DLH hadn't been at in over 10 years.

A true Floyd fan!!! you conveniently left out that Manny had to come up 2 weight classes and fight for the first time at welterweight while DLH dropped one weight class for the fight!!!!
    Its a similar story with Hatton, Mosley and Cotto all fighting Pac at "catch weights". Marquez looked washed up against Mayweather and didn't win a round yet goes on to by all accounts beat Pac on points and then knock him out at the age of 39 which I think tells it's own tale. And Mayweather's victory against Marquez was so one sided there's no hope he would bother to fight him again

This is actually getting pathetic why do Floyd fans feel the need to claim something wrong with every fight Manny has won!!

What are you talking about what "catch weight" your ridiculous completely ridiculous!

1. Hatton best at 140 pounds weight he fought Manny at!!!!!!!
    2. Mosley fought both Manny and Floyd at 145 pounds!!!!!!!!
    3. Manny came up to 144 from 140 to fight Cotto while cotto dropped to 145 from 150!!!

So Hatton was caught at a "catch weight" to fight floyd!! but of course Floyd does no wrong pure rubbish talk just can not accept how good Manny really is just excuses after excuses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Oh, and at 147 Floyd would give Juan a heaver defeat today than what he gave him at the end of 2009.

Watched that bout again recently, Marquez was no 3 on the p4p lists at the time floyd at 1, but you never would have known it, floyd made a guy like Marquez look like a rank amateur. It was almost embarrassing how early he saw Juan's shots and how easy he slipped them and countered,.....

Watched that bout again recently, Marquez was no 3 on the p4p lists at the time floyd at 1, but you never would have known it, floyd made a guy like Marquez look like a rank amateur. It was almost embarrassing how early he saw Juan's shots and how easy he slipped them and countered,.....

Ha Ha this is so funny how many fighters has manny fought that Floyd fought? and how many of these did Manny do a better job on??

Yet you only want to talk about the one that Floyd did better with and then suggest because he did a better job on Marquez than manny then this confirms he is better than Manny....

Of course forgetting all the fighters Manny did a better job on!!!!!!!!!! HA HA

I wasn't referring to your post, and I didn't mention anything to do with either fighter's record, my post was soley referencing the mayweather Marquez fight, as an aside almost. Quite why you felt the need to jump down my throat about floyd and manny's respective records is anyone's guess.

This has been a decent debate today, discussed reasonably and respectfully without resort to the rabid fanboy stuff this issue frequently inspires.

Then you show up, foaming at the mouth, erroneously describing your opinions as facts and accusing everybody else of bias toward mayweather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Comparing the opponent that both Pac and Mayweather have fought, it's comparing apples and oranges I am afraid.

It's not as simple as just saying Manny did a better job, you are talking about fighters so finely balanced that a marginal weight difference in their body will have a ver large influence on their performance.

jump down my throat about floyd and manny's respective records is anyone's guess.

Jump down your throat! bit sensitive aren't you!
    This has been a decent debate today, discussed reasonably and respectfully without resort to the rabid fanboy stuff this issue frequently inspires.

Think I made some reasonable facts and opinion for debate? :rolleyes:
    Then you show up, foaming at the mouth, erroneously describing your opinions as facts and accusing everybody else of bias toward mayweather.

Instead of foaming at the mouth, erroneously describing my opinions and facts maybe you should take a leaf out of your own book and try to have a decent debate discussed reasonably and respectfully without resorting to vile personal comments at other posters. ;)

Gintonious wrote: »
    Comparing the opponent that both Pac and Mayweather have fought, it's comparing apples and oranges I am afraid.

It's not as simple as just saying Manny did a better job, you are talking about fighters so finely balanced that a marginal weight difference in their body will have a ver large influence on their performance.

I agree 100% well said

I agree 100% well said

You do realise he pretty much disagreed with everything you said previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭colly10

otto_26 wrote:
    3. Manny came up to 144 from 140 to fight Cotto while cotto dropped to 145 from 150!!! !

Cotto came from 147 but weighed 146 in the previous fight

Of course forgetting all the fighters Manny did a better job on!!!!!!!!!! HA HA
    Thats a valid point that Manny did a much better job on some of the same opponents as Floyd, but I think that shouldnt be taken as a direct measure that he is superior to Floyd in any way.
    In the same way his Ko by Marquez doesnt necessarily mean Floyd would get the same result just because Mayweather made Marquez look bad. If that were the case we could argue Manny is 5 times better than Floyd because he stopped Hatton in 2 and it took Floyd 10. Some of their styles just suited Manny better. Floyds style would not suit Manny thats what makes the prospect of a fight so interesting.

I dont think any of the fighters mentioned were at a disadvantage because of any catch weights bar De La Hoya who screwed up his cutting weight and payed the price against Manny. They know their bodies and none of them would have agreed to a weight if it put them at a disadvantage.

As for suggestion that Manny had 8 losses, thats just ridiculous blind Manny hate. If thats the case well then surely then it would be argued Mayweather lost to De La Hoya. Neither of which is true, no matter how close they were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

Lads just a few points to make:

- a few non-regular posters here making fairly absurd claims about floyd and manny, Ghost and Otto in particular. Listen if you don't like Floyd fair enough, but you're arguing weak points against the wrong posters. The posters here are fairly knowledgeable about the sport of boxing and some of the stuff you lads have posted is ignorant at best, and trolling at worst. Saying Floyd should call out Danny Garcia is laughable. Making comments about Floyd dodging morales and barrera is ignorant.

- Bren (walshb) is a big pacquiao fan, and certainly not a Floyd fanboy so accusing him of that is just silly. I've had many a debate with him about Floyd, and I can assure you the last thing he is is a Mayweather fanboy/nuthugger/plumsucker.

- Ghost, any connection to Robert Guerrero? Judging some of your posts I'm beginning to wonder if you're his brother/mother/relative trying to rouse up interest in a Mayweather payday.

- It's fact that if they fought now Floyd would embarrass Manny. If they fought in 2009/2010 Floyd would have won but it would be more competitive. At this point in time, the only fight for Floyd that makes sense is Canelo. Floyd won't fight Pacquaio, and at this stage I honestly couldn't care. Put a fork in the Pacman, he is done, dusted, a shell of a man.

Finally, some posters here should be aware of the old adage, "Only the spoon knows what is in the pot".

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

This is one of my first posts on this forum.I love boxing but i definitely wouldn't be as knowledgeable on the sport as many on here.From where i can see in there recent fights is Pacquio has declined as a boxer in the last few years.He used to rely heavily on his unbelievable physique as opposed to his natural talent.

Mayweather still looks in top shape but he always relied on his boxing technique.It looks like you lose your physique much quicker than you lose your boxing skills.

I think Pacquiao would have taken Mayweather 3 years ago but today he wouldn't even come close.

*Hides and waits for response...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Put a fork in the Pacman, he is done, dusted, a shell of a man.

He has had an amazing career. Fighter of the decade, shook up boxing, climbed the divisions like it was nothing. lol @ people criticising him. At a tiny 5'6 he took on everyone. Never ducked or dodged a fight in his life. A true warrior. And I don't think he's done yet.

I think a lot of people started watching boxing because of Pac. The beatings he gave Cotto and Margo were simply shocking. Still in shock to this day when I watch those fights. Amazing for a fighter who started his pro career as a tiny, skeletonised boy.

3 fights against Morales, 4 against Marquez, 2 against Barrera, amazing beatings of Cotto, Margo, Hatton and the comparatively huge Mosley. He has contributed so much to boxing it's hard to slate him. Amazing fighter who never ducked anyone.

Advertisement