Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacquiao v Mayweather

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

Floyd will easily pick canelo apart.
    He'll box him on the outside all night.

Canelo is good, but not great. See why they're keeping him away from Trout and Martinez.

Floyd takes this one easy. Canelo won't put gloves on the King.

A lot of people on here don't realise how good Floyd is.

He trains like an absolute animal. He's 35 but in terms of boxing damage accumulation he's like a fresh faced pup. He hasn't been in the brutal wars, or taken the heavy hits like Pac. These two things are why he is still the best.

I think the fight with Canelo burns a fire under Floyd. He seems to thrive on facing those young hungry wolves. Expect a beast performance from him versus Canelo. It's a massive PPV, and definitely a more competitive fight than Pacquaio. I'm less inclined to think he fights Guerrero. Floyd would roll back in to bed before training for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,042 ✭✭✭✭walshb

We get it, you idolise Floyd!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Canelo is good, but not great. See why they're keeping him away from Trout and Martinez.

He trains like an absolute animal. He's 35 but in terms of boxing damage accumulation he's like a fresh faced pup. He hasn't been in the brutal wars, or taken the heavy hits like Pac. These two things are why he is still the best.

I think the fight with Canelo burns a fire under Floyd. He seems to thrive on facing those young hungry wolves. Expect a beast performance from him versus Canelo. It's a massive PPV, and definitely a more competitive fight than Pacquaio. I'm less inclined to think he fights Guerrero. Floyd would roll back in to bed before training for that one.

I think plenty of people realize how good he is, there is no debating that. But I think you are borderline pentecostal in your worship of him.

He is a very cautious fighter and he has hand picked his opponents as well, so just saying that he would walk over X,Y and Z, when really he would only fight Y because X and Z aren't to his liking should be taken into account.

Many people won't like or bother with Mayweather because although he is an exceptional fighter, he is not likable in the slightest. So its an almost reluctant credit given to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Any chance Money himself has been among us?

Since, oh I don't know, April 2012?

Hook me up, #bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

If people suspect re reg or double users report it, saying it on here will get you an infraction as that's back seat modding.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Interesting Mayweather interview for anybody interested...http://www.fighthype.com/news/article13720.html

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    Interesting Mayweather interview for anybody interested...http://www.fighthype.com/news/article13720.html

Same old Floyd. Very predictable. To read it you would think he was a saint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

Syferus wrote: »
    Any chance Money himself has been among us?

Since, oh I don't know, April 2012?

Hook me up, #bro.

Mate, I've recently been vindicated by the admins and cat mods in dispute resolution forum after accusations of re-regging.

Please keep it on topic like Paul has said, we're all just here to discuss the sport of boxing, let's not get side tracked with these juvenile tit for tat games. I certainly don't have my gums wrapped around his plums like some of you are suggesting however.

On topic, I'm a big Mayweather fan, I don't see how you can't be a fan of undoubtedly the most technically skillful boxer to ever enter the squared circle. He's a genius.

Mate, I've recently been vindicated by the admins and cat mods in dispute resolution forum after accusations of re-regging.

Please keep it on topic like Paul has said, we're all just here to discuss the sport of boxing, let's not get side tracked with these juvenile tit for tat games. I certainly don't have my gums wrapped around his plums like some of you are suggesting however.

On topic, I'm a big Mayweather fan, I don't see how you can't be a fan of undoubtedly the most technically skillful boxer to ever enter the squared circle. He's a genius.

It is very easy to not be a fan, as I have said before, he is not a likable person at all, which will alienate him from quite a few average boxing fans, who would warm towards the like of Manny, Ali, or someone even like Tyson.

Its the same curse that plagues the Kiltschkos, they are astounding boxers like Mayweather, but they can all be seen as boring or not exciting, and to the average joe then that is not good enough.

Perhaps his biggest flaw as to not being regarded as the best etc, is the fact that he is a woman beater, has made stupid racist comments and fails to conduct himself in a responsible manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭EireGreg

Gintonious wrote: »
    It is very easy to not be a fan, as I have said before, he is not a likable person at all, which will alienate him from quite a few average boxing fans, who would warm towards the like of Manny, Ali, or someone even like Tyson.

Its the same curse that plagues the Kiltschkos, they are astounding boxers like Mayweather, but they can all be seen as boring or not exciting, and to the average joe then that is not good enough.

Perhaps his biggest flaw as to not being regarded as the best etc, is the fact that he is a woman beater, has made stupid racist comments and fails to conduct himself in a responsible manner.

The same curse as the Kiltshkos haha do you watch boxing mate? these last 10 years have nearly destroyed the hwd because of the low standard of boxers calling the kiltschkos astounding boxers just made your whole point worthless.. good maybe astounding they are not.

• Advertisement

EireGreg wrote: »
    The same curse as the Kiltshkos haha do you watch boxing mate? these last 10 years have nearly destroyed the hwd because of the low standard of boxers calling the kiltschkos astounding boxers just made your whole point worthless.. good maybe astounding they are not.

Eiregreg, them brothers would beat most boxers ever, if you don't realise that then your the 1 that's clueless.

This is why their opponents look so limited, because against them they are.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Eiregreg, them brothers would beat most boxers ever, if you don't realise that then your the 1 that's clueless.

This is why their opponents look so limited, because against them they are.

We are going to have to agree to disagree :)

We are going to have to agree to disagree :)

No!
    I agree you're wrong only and need to watch the Brothers and realise how good they are!

Well how are they not astounding? They bring a different dimension to the game, its tactical and precise, a different way of boxing, it's chess with their fists.

Just because they don't do trash talk and that their opponents are not as good as them does not diminish their skills. They have all the belts for a reason. So my point is not worthless.

I have never said the brothers are bad boxers i just think astounding is a bit fair from the mark, i could namedrop many a boxer imo in the last 30 years that would have destroyed the two of them. David haye taking it to a points decision is proof enough for me, and remember he had a broken toe!! j/k.... i feel and many do to that the hwd is in ruins

I have never said the brothers are bad boxers i just think astounding is a bit fair from the mark, i could namedrop many a boxer imo in the last 30 years that would have destroyed the two of them. David haye taking it to a points decision is proof enough for me, and remember he had a broken toe!! j/k.... i feel and many do to that the hwd is in ruins

As has been said, they could have beaten most boxers in their division, whatever time frame, if that does not make them astounding then what does?

And what does David Haye taking it to a decision have anything to do with it? He won about 2 rounds in the whole fight and backed off the entire time, his broken toe is a bull**** excuse because he was out boxed by a dominant force.

As has been said, they could have beaten most boxers in their division, whatever time frame, if that does not make them astounding then what does?

And what does David Haye taking it to a decision have anything to do with it? He won about 2 rounds in the whole fight and backed off the entire time, his broken toe is a bull**** excuse because he was out boxed by a dominant force.

what does david hayes point decision have anything to do with it! really

Is that a question? Haye was a HW champion least we forget, yet spent the entire fight agaisnt Klitschko backing off and not engaging. Wlad punihsed him with his jab, and went for the knock out. How is a majority decision over a current champion a bad thing.

Do tell.

Haye was dominated. He spoiled for a hell of a lot of the fight. Haye could have survived many others with them tactics.

Is that a question? Haye was a HW champion least we forget, yet spent the entire fight agaisnt Klitschko backing off and not engaging. Wlad punihsed him with his jab, and went for the knock out. How is a majority decision over a current champion a bad thing.

Do tell.

Majority decision? Did Wlad not win a clear UD?

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Majority decision? Did Wlad not win a clear UD?

Whoops, slip of the keyboard there, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

No, Supackofidiots and Cowzerp, I really, really, really, really thought you were Floyd Money Maywether, the Olympic bronze medalist, future hall of famer, millionaire jail-jumping superstar phenom spending your time on an Irish web forum switching from posting loving portraits about your own boxing prowess to the availability of Limerick FC tickets.

Y'see, it's a little-known fact LFC is his childhood team and the University of Limerick is his alma mater. The accent's just for show.

Sweet motherf**king lord. FML. Omg. Lol. Lmao.

Words do not begin to describe my incredulity right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Amazing that he has been p4p top 10 since 1998,he has seen them come and go yet he remains undefeated and on top once again p4p #1 at the age of 35 soon to be 36,He is 43-0 a 8 time champ(should be 9 just didnt pay for shanes belt)in 5 divisions no other fighter in the history of this sport has won 8 titles in 5 divisions and remained undefeated,over half of his fights have been title fights.Manny had a stint on top and all the hype,yet Floyd just kept defeating current champions coming off of big wins,no smoke and mirror act,no catch weight titles. Now it appears he will fight 2 more current champions in 2013 at the age of 36 and if he defeats them both he can retire 45-0 with possible 9(should be 10)world titles and maybe even possibly add 1 more lineal title to his resume,this guy is hated so much on here because of his perfection,this guy is a boxing god

Do you actually like Boxing? Or is Floyd Mayweather to you what Justin Bieber is to pre pubescent girls?

I don't know what it is about Mayweather that attracts these type of boxing "fans".

Are they wannabe gangsters or what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

alot of praise for someone who's cherry picked opponents his whole career. he's like a klitchko in reverse, rather than not having the opponents available to prove his greatness he's only faced those opponents when they suited him or were well passed their best.

a fully fit and focused manny would still probably beat mayweather in a fair fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Tucker.Tim wrote: »
    alot of praise for someone who's cherry picked opponents his whole career. he's like a klitchko in reverse, rather than not having the opponents available to prove his greatness he's only faced those opponents when they suited him or were well passed their best.

a fully fit and focused manny would still probably beat mayweather in a fair fight.

That is total nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Tucker.Tim wrote: »

Manny's idea of a fair fight is fighting de la Hoya at welter when he should have been a middle weight or fighting for welterweight titles at 144 and the likes. He's just as guilty of being well matched and cherry picking fighters as mayweather. A lot of the best names on his résumé were damaged goods by the time they faced manny,

I doubt a decent Manny would beat Mayweather, on any night at any time.

Both are as bad as eachother for matchmaking and making the fights to their liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Ghost.

What about Mayweather and De la Hoya? Mayweather was lucky to get the decision, it was a close fight. And De la Hoya in his prime would have won clearly.
    Mayweather is good but beatable, and I think a 100% Manny would give him trouble. Styles make fights and I see how Mayweathers style would cause him trouble but Mayweather always suffers a bit when he doesnt have a huge speed advantage over his opponent. Or when they pressure him into a corner or against the ropes, sure thats why hatton done so well against him and wasnt stopped earlier, plus he was fighting Mayweather and the Ref.
    Manny v Mayeather would be a tight fight provided mannys speed holds up and he fights the right fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kK9en6g9JTQ

Mayweather doesn't struggle when pressured onto the ropes, he has one of the best close up defence I've ever seen. His strength on the inside has been a not so secret weapon for years, and was largely the reason hatton hadn't a hope. Ricky's deeply flawed gameplan was to get in close and rough up mayweather, however floyd was the stronger man on the inside and hatton had no plan b.

As the clip above goes some way to showing, he outlanded delahoya by an embarrassingly wide margin, Oscar pressured floyd all night and floyd defended brilliantly before countering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

That is total nonsense.

do you expect anyone to take you seriously when your response to someone is that's nonsense? :rolleyes:

to the others:

i'm sorry if i've wrecked the floyd love-in but pressure is the one thing that works on mayweather and manny's game is perfect for counter-acting mayweather. he gets inside mayweather even once and floyd will be getting the biggest battering of his life.

Advertisement