Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Very quick question for anyone still up at this time...
    Little guy is due in for grommets refit and inner ear hearing test tomorrow. We've waited 8 months for appt. he just vomited everywhere tonight though. Looks like every content of his little tummy came up. Just once and he seems fine now so I think it was just something that disagreed with him rather than a bug.If he doesn't get sick again and seems fine,would you go aheD with appt and say nothing? He needs the hearing test done badly .

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Same as my guy! He also wears a patch everyday. He's very good tbh. I thought it would be difficult but heckeeps it on most days. We also have an appt in September! good luck with yours! 😊

Good luck with your's too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Does anyone have any tips for getting a toddler to wear his hood up? He will tolerate a wooly hat (only the balaclava type one) or baseball hat for a small amount of time but has a full scale meltdown when I try to put his hood up. I've tried detaching the hood and calling it a hat but he's having none of it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

What do people think of party bags? I was at a party over the weekend and was given two bags leaving - they must have cost 2-3e each and when I got home nearly everything went in the bin - plastic stuff that broke within minutes or lolly pops (for a 1 year old). Now that one person has done them we all have to....ok rant over - filling land fills for no reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

bp wrote: »
    What do people think of party bags? I was at a party over the weekend and was given two bags leaving - they must have cost 2-3e each and when I got home nearly everything went in the bin - plastic stuff that broke within minutes or lolly pops (for a 1 year old). Now that one person has done them we all have to....ok rant over - filling land fills for no reason!

My local play centre gives one, and that's where all the parties have been so far. The party bag has only food in it though -Because they don't eat anything other than a kids meal and cake whilst at the actual party.
    You could just be a bit less wasteful in your approach. A few edible things, a couple of stickers and a little notebook/pencil etc. Ridiculous plastic (kinder egg style) toys are one of my bugbears. I just hate the waste of them. Straight up the Hoover they go!

• Advertisement

I gave one at my kids party but only put appropriate stuff in that wasn't a choking hazard. Bubbles, a mini board book and a few marshmallows and packet of buttons. Tbh I wouldn't have bothered except someone else in our group had done them for a party a few weeks before so I kind of felt obliged. The party bags we've gotten at play centres had very age inappropriate stuff in them.

I didn't give them last year but feel I will have to from now on - I don't mind buttons etc but the lollies I just don't think a 1 year old should have! Anyway just thinking of our land fills!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Any advice on a stroller?
    I bought a rolls Royce of a travel system and it is great if out and about for a long day or away on hols but I just want a dinky little thing to throw in boot. Nothing too expensive either please as I can't justify it with a fancy schmancy pushchair out in utility room!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

heldel00 wrote: »
    I bought a rolls Royce of a travel system and it is great if out and about for a long day or away on hols but I just want a dinky little thing to throw in boot. Nothing too expensive either please as I can't justify it with a fancy schmancy pushchair out in utility room!

Aldi were selling strollers for €23 euro the last while, they might still have them!?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

bp wrote: »

Stickers, bubbles, a tiny pack of haribo and a bag of chickatees. Anything else is just trying too hard and a wasted effort as well as wasted money.

Even then it needs to be age appropriate. A 1 year old doesn't even know what a party is let alone a party bag. In fact I'd more likely give a small bottle of wine in a baby's party bag for Mammy to enjoy after bedtime - I'm sure that would be much better value for money and far more appreciated. ;)

I only did a party bag once the attendees were about 4+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

...or miniatures of gin. :D

Ok I'm definitely putting a Mammy party bag together next birthday :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

heldel00 wrote: »

The mamas and papas umbrella one is brill. I brought it to France with me last year and it was so handy. I got it for 50 in Argos and it came with foot muff and rain gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Sapphire wrote: »
    ...or miniatures of gin. :D

Ok I'm definitely putting a Mammy party bag together next birthday :p

I love that idea!!

Amazing mammy party bag idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Thought this was a good tip:

Do you have an independent toddler who insists on putting on their own shoes? Use a sticker to help them learn the correct feet

13882182_761642937308948_4376482309207585739_n.png?oh=8840c4c76c2377a501e5ef4377f90566&oe=58545866

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I tell mine that their shoes have to be kissing. The tops will only touch together if in the correct way, otherwise they face away. Has worked a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I tell mine that their shoes have to be kissing. The tops will only touch together if in the correct way, otherwise they face away. Has worked a treat

My boy is always putting his shoes on the wrong feet. You would imagine he'd get it right 50% of the time, but he doesn't! People always feel the need to tell him too. A random old man leaned forward yesterday in mass and told him his shoes were on the wrong feet, and he said "it's ok, I don't mind. They're still comfortable!". It was gas!

I have found myself supporting the kittens from the neighbouring town in Paw Patrol. I vaguely remember being cool once:)

My 3 year old has been screaming no no no in her sleep last few nights and most times has gone back asleep after.. I think once she woke up.. but she is able to find her soother after she stops screaming so does that mean she's awake? Just trying to distinguish if it's night terrors or bad dreams... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Night terrors here would last around 20-30 minutes and all bar one has happened within 2/3 hours of falling asleep. Her eyes would be open and she will scream and cry and shout, and isn't calmed by us being there m. She tends to get quite clammy too. Nightmares on the other hand never last more than a couple of minutes and she will just go back to sleep after. They can happen at any stage of the night. I hate them!

• Advertisement

O/T but just wondering if anyone uses Supervalu for online shopping/delivery? Does it work out much more expensive than Tesco? Tesco don't deliver to my address (apparently I live too close to the store :rolleyes: and there's no collection point near me either) and I badly miss online shopping since we moved last year :( How does Supervalu compare?

I've only got them to deliver once, we used tesco a lot more. Not anymore expensive and the quality and care with which the items were choose was far far better than tesco

Thanks! I might give it a go and see so. I found tesco a bit hit and miss too, had exploded chicken on a crate of veg once and exploded milk another time. Not to mention a few ridiculous substitutions :rolleyes: So handy for not having to leave the house though! I was reluctant to use supervalu before because their delivery price was €7.50 but when I checked today I saw it had come down in line with tesco.

My OH keeps saying he'll go for me if I give him the list but I can't send him for bread without him spending €50 on crap so couldn't imagine the damage he'd do with a whole shop!

I think first delivery is free, well it was for us

If anyone has a three year old, what time do they go to bed? My 3 year old does fall asleep on the couch about 6.30. She wakes usually about 6.30 and wakes once during the night to come into me. She's in creche 8 to 4.30 every day, so I'm guessing it's that that is causing the tiredness. Should I be trying to make her bed time a bit later or just let it pass as a phase? She's lively enough during the day so don't think it's because she is unwell.. if she has a nap during the day, it's usually later that she'll fall asleep..

My 4 and 2 1/2 year olds both go to bed between 7 and 7:20, and are up at 7:30. Those times work for us as a family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I've a three year old and he goes to bed around 7 so not too far off and I'm sure the day at crèche can be tiring too!
    He generally doesn't nap anymore but the odd day he might for an hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

We try our best to start getting our three year old to bed around ten to seven. It's a long process!! If we leave it after 7 the difference is unreal. He turns into a crazy overtired lunatic and it could take two hours for him to settle :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Any tips for a 10 week old with a cold? I assume the usual medicines are out as she's so small. Poor thing is breaking my heart. Sniffly runny nose and a little cough, she's unsettled sleeping, seems to find it hard work sucking her soother. My first literally was never sick as a baby so this is new to me, she started preschool a week ago though and already the bugs are coming home :(

Will naturally bring her to the doc if it continues but just wondered if anyone has any tips to give her a bit of comfort?

• Advertisement

Nasal extractor, helps to remove snot! A saline spray is very good too to break up heavy mucus. Baby snuffles, it's a kids vicks type product, as vicks is not suitable for babies. Cot mattress titled to aid sleep. Lots of fluid and love. If it's really just a cold the doc won't be able to offer anymore help really

Advertisement