Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Ooh the Milton in the wash is a great idea, the Dettol laundry stuff is a shocking price :eek:

I think Napisan is antibacterial aswell. Napisan is great stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Ooh the Milton in the wash is a great idea, the Dettol laundry stuff is a shocking price :eek:

Isn't it. No way was I buying it at the price. I have never used sterilising fluid for bottles but I use it for everything else lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Was in tesco this morning and they have their own brand version of the dettol laundry stuff for €3.45 so a little bit better than the €6-7 for the dettol one. Ha I'm the same with the Milton, haven't sterilised a bottle with it in over a year but still have a big stock of the tablets and use them for everything! I think I'll be the same with baby wipes, I'll probably be using them for years after the kids are toilet trained :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

S has been mad about a particular Hot Wheels set for ages and has recently restarted his campaign to get it. I decided yesterday that he should save up for it and suggested this plan for it. Today I sat down with him, counted out what he has in his money box, explained to him the cost of the set in Smyths and how much it would probably cost if we looked for one that some other child got before but no longer wants. I made him a chart, showing how much money he has, and how much he'll need to save for each option. He has decided to go with a secondhand one and is very excited about his saving plan.

I've been trying to teach him about value as he has a great grasp of numbers and what is higher and lower. But his understanding of money goes as far as 'have money - buy toys.' It was fabulous watching him start to come to terms with the idea that you need a certain amount to buy a particular item and that there are options when it comes to price. Later on he was on the phone to my mum and he was telling her all about his chart and his money box.

iguana wrote: »
    S has been mad about a particular Hot Wheels set for ages and has recently restarted his campaign to get it. I decided yesterday that he should save up for it and suggested this plan for it. Today I sat down with him, counted out what he has in his money box, explained to him the cost of the set in Smyths and how much it would probably cost if we looked for one that some other child got before but no longer wants. I made him a chart, showing how much money he has, and how much he'll need to save for each option. He has decided to go with a secondhand one and is very excited about his saving plan.

I've been trying to teach him about value as he has a great grasp of numbers and what is higher and lower. But his understanding of money goes as far as 'have money - buy toys.' It was fabulous watching him start to come to terms with the idea that you need a certain amount to buy a particular item and that there are options when it comes to price. Later on he was on the phone to my mum and he was telling her all about his chart and his money box.

This is great! What age is he? I was wondering recently if my four year old would get it, if I found a couple of jobs around the house that he could do, and gave him a very nominal amt of pocket money instead. I'd like him to start learning that the bank doesn't just hand out money for nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

jlm29 wrote: »
    This is great! What age is he? I was wondering recently if my four year old would get it, if I found a couple of jobs around the house that he could do, and gave him a very nominal amt of pocket money instead. I'd like him to start learning that the bank doesn't just hand out money for nothing!

He's nearly 3 and a half. Tbh, his grasp is still pretty tenuous but he now understands that he has 8 "moneys" and needs a total of 20 "moneys" to get the set he wants. Hopefully this should stop him from thinking that he can buy whatever he wants from Smyths every time he finds 5c on the floor. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

*is wondering if iguana will come round and teach nikpmup about moneys cos she still doesn't really get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

My son watched Umi zoom I constantly as a little one so everything was calculated in Umi dollars for a long time lol now I have to keep reminding him we are euro and not dollars :-P

Does anyone know how I go about changing the post office that my child benefit can be collected at? Is there a form that I can print and fill out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Does anyone know how I go about changing the post office that my child benefit can be collected at? Is there a form that I can print and fill out?

http://www.welfare.ie/en/pdf/cb56.pdf

Baby was up playing til all hours last night and is still asleep. Of course it's a day I'm in work so will have to wake her soon argh!

• Advertisement

I don't know, but if you ring the child benefit section in letterkenny, 0749164400, they'll surely tell you. I've always got mine paid directly into the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I got my guy 2 pairs of shoes 2 weeks ago. His runners look terrible already :( all marked from grass and dirt, I bought them previously in a different colour and they were perfect. They are startrite Leo. I bought blue ones but had navy ones previously. As I bought shoes too he has hardly worn them and wears doodles indoors mon-thurs. I am disgusted. :mad:
    The stains don't come off. They look so grubby. :(:(
    Is there any point going back to the shop? This has never happened before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

It depends: lighter shoes will scuff and get dirtier quicker especially at this time of year. In saying that my local shoe shop did take a light blue pair of start rite shoes back when they were destroyed in scuffs and the colour completely gone of the toe and around the sides in 2 days so it depends how bad they are?

cyning wrote: »
    It depends: lighter shoes will scuff and get dirtier quicker especially at this time of year. In saying that my local shoe shop did take a light blue pair of start rite shoes back when they were destroyed in scuffs and the colour completely gone of the toe and around the sides in 2 days so it depends how bad they are?

Here they are image_1.jpeg
    image.jpeg

This is what they should look like
    image_2.jpeg

http://www.startriteshoes.com/sr-super-soft-leo-blue-boys-riptape-first-walking-shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I think I'd bring them back Mille. They look totally wrecked. The worst that can happen is that they send you on your merry way.

yellow hen wrote: »
    I think I'd bring them back Mille. They look totally wrecked. The worst that can happen is that they send you on your merry way.
    Thanks yellowhen, I think they look dreadful. I have written an email to startrite. I will bring them to shoe shop tomorrow, the lady is so so nice I feel bad complaining as it's not her fault!
    He had his last pair of these ones for literally 5 months and they still looked perfect! He has barely worn them as I bought loafer shoes for him too and he has canvas t bar doodles for indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Ya I'd bring them back. Definitely.

I'd chance bringing them back too, that definitely seems beyond normal wear and tear. Those shoes are supposed to be made to withstand toddlers (somewhat!) :)

Anyone know where I could pick up a pop- up beach tent thingy for a small baby? Do dunnes/tesco/heatons or somewhere stock? Local Argos is sold out til Monday. I'm not in Dublin, am down the country, so wondering if anywhere very obvious has them that I'm not thinking of!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

jlm29 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could pick up a pop- up beach tent thingy for a small baby? Do dunnes/tesco/heatons or somewhere stock? Local Argos is sold out til Monday. I'm not in Dublin, am down the country, so wondering if anywhere very obvious has them that I'm not thinking of!

Almost certain lidl have them this week... Or aldi!

• Advertisement

I was in lidl this evening and they had them :) I have a small one that we got in Heatons but it was last year we got it so not sure if they still stock them.

Ok cool. I'm going to lidl as soon as I'm dressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Did lidl have the sun tents Jlm?

heldel00 wrote: »

Yup! My mother picked one up for me this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

heldel00 wrote: »

Saw them in my local Lidl this morning and was tempted! Saw one being used at the beach at the weekend and looked a good size and with the pop up/pop down it's handy. we have one already but it's not a pop up one so rarely use it.

We were actually at the beach today (sans shade), and just had the buggy with the hood up and a parasol. It was manageable, but I can't wait to go back with our new popup!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Can I ask for suggestions please?
    I've used the same washing powder for years. It was always grand. I've also used old fashioned household soap for stains. It's now out of stock and I find Vanish is useless. Now I'm finding the regular liquid tabs from Aldi aren't removing basic stains. I want something handy I can spray on as a stain remover that's convenient and works!! Any suggestions please?

I've used the same washing powder for years. It was always grand. I've also used old fashioned household soap for stains. It's now out of stock and I find Vanish is useless. Now I'm finding the regular liquid tabs from Aldi aren't removing basic stains. I want something handy I can spray on as a stain remover that's convenient and works!! Any suggestions please?

I find Napisan great- I steep whites in it overnight before I wash them. It's especially great for poo stains from leaky nappies.
    My mother swears by ordinary fairy liquid, rubbed into the stAins before you put them in the machine.
    Also, in this weather, direct sunlight is the business for getting out stains!

I find the green bio powder in aldi brill. No need for stain removers. If white vests were bad from nappy I put a squirt of washing up liquid on stain and rinse in sink then leave soak in hot water and aldi powder, then put in wash with non bio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Thanks for the help. It'd not nappy stains. It's general food stains. I just hung out a wash and most of my daughters tops till have stains on them. I do a wash every second or third day.
    Is it the box of washing powder Millem?

Advertisement