Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

jlm29 wrote: »
    I'd swear I had a plastic sack -(as in, not a bin liner, probably something agricultural that had me spending the rest of the day smelling like calf nuts). It's a wonder I never broke my neck

I remember those - big white or yellow heavy plastic sacks. Weren't some were used for fertiliser too? I seem to remember 10:10:20 being emblazoned on the side sacks we played in. And probably not even given the slightest wipe so inhaling fertiliser dust was par for the course. If you stank of calf nuts you probably got off lightly :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Sapphire wrote: »
    I remember those - big white or yellow heavy plastic sacks. Weren't some were used for fertiliser too? I seem to remember 10:10:20 being emblazoned on the side sacks we played in. And probably not even given the slightest wipe so inhaling fertiliser dust was par for the course. If you stank of calf nuts you probably got off lightly :pac:

I'm starting to think maybe I missed out on something by not ever stinking of calf nuts. Like I've missed out on some Irish child rite of passage. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

I'm starting to think maybe I missed out on something by not ever stinking of calf nuts. Like I've missed out on some Irish child rite of passage. Lol

I'm sure there were townie equivalents that us country kids have missed out on too. :D. Calf nuts smell a bit like dry dog food if my old memory serves me correctly. Not an awful smell, but not the most fragrant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Sapphire wrote: »

I'm sure there were townie equivalents that us country kids have missed out on too. :D. Calf nuts smell a bit like dry dog food if my old memory serves me correctly. Not an awful smell, but not the most fragrant either.

Some dodgy fake tans smell like calf nuts too!

Well that would make sense because some of them look like absolute cow Sh!t lol

Thinking about the smell of dry dog food actually takes me back to our local pet shop. It was at the back of a cottage near my house and I used to go up at the weekends when I was a kid to look at all the animals. It stunk to high heaven of dry animal food. Got right in your nose but def more charming than some of these big chains now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Caught the toddler eating dry cat food today. Had to smell his breath to make sure *heave*

On another note, work can go fcuk itself...is it wrong that I'm considering going again, purely for the maternity leave? :pac:

Dolbert wrote: »
    Caught the toddler eating dry cat food today. Had to smell his breath to make sure *heave*

On another note, work can go fcuk itself...is it wrong that I'm considering going again, purely for the maternity leave? :pac:

I'm on maternity leave at the moment and I can't wait to get back. The baby is a gorgeous little dote but the other 2 have decided that this is the perfect time for them to really ramp up the sibling rivalry. I spend my days peeling them off each other or listening to stories about what one did to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My baby is obsessed with cat food.....comes crawling over whenever he hears the bag open....have to lock the stuff away

bp wrote: »
    My baby is obsessed with cat food.....comes crawling over whenever he hears the bag open....have to lock the stuff away

My daughter grabs handfuls of it and tries to shove it in the cats mouth. I'm surprised the cat hasn't clawed the face off her yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My daughter grabs handfuls of it and tries to shove it in the cats mouth. I'm surprised the cat hasn't clawed the face off her yet.

My little boy does this too :pac: And if the cat is asleep, he will take the pellets out of the bowl one by one and make a little pile in front of her. I keep finding random mountains of catfood around the place :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

My little boy does this too :pac: And if the cat is asleep, he will take the pellets out of the bowl one by one and make a little pile in front of her. I keep finding random mountains of catfood around the place :rolleyes:

My daughter does that as well and if she sees him coming over the bank wall she runs out to him with his bowl lol I thought she would get bored of him eventually but she is 3 now and still shrieks with delight when she sees him return from one of his ventures. Problem is we back onto a farm and river so I'm always worried that he is coming with a "gift" when she runs out to him lol

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Millem wrote: »
    I find the green bio powder in aldi brill. No need for stain removers. If white vests were bad from nappy I put a squirt of washing up liquid on stain and rinse in sink then leave soak in hot water and aldi powder, then put in wash with non bio.

Thanks so much. I.never thought I'd be so happy putting out a wash yesterday!! Now that I don't have the sun to remove stains on clothes I bought the washing powder you recommended. It's excellent and so cheap. All stains completely gone. Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Thanks so much. I.never thought I'd be so happy putting out a wash yesterday!! Now that I don't have the sun to remove stains on clothes I bought the washing powder you recommended. It's excellent and so cheap. All stains completely gone. Thanks a million

I soaked mine in one of the aldi green tablets.... Great job here too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My little girl is toilet trained!!!! Yay!!!!!

Sligo1 wrote: »

Aw well done!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Wow amazing. I must get cracking on it next week! On hols this week :)

Thanks. She's great. She actually trained herself while we were away for the poo. So I just had to do the wee when we came back which took 2 days. She was in crèche today so I was fully expecting accidents. But she stayed dry all day. I'm very proud of her :). Except now she's waking twice during the night asking to do wee wee :(.

Have my appointment tomorrow so I'm super excited today. Also found out today that my son can't see very well out of his left eye. Never mentioned a thing lol glasses are on the way me thinks.

Have my appointment tomorrow so I'm super excited today. Also found out today that my son can't see very well out of his left eye. Never mentioned a thing lol glasses are on the way me thinks.

Good luck tomorrow. My little guy has quite a weak left eye. Longsighted with astigmatism. He looks adoraballs with his glasses!

Good luck tomorrow. My little guy has quite a weak left eye. Longsighted with astigmatism. He looks adoraballs with his glasses!

My son has blue eyes but one has a little patch of brown in one. It's so cute I think it will look even cuter with the glasses if he needs them. The real challenge will be getting him to wear them. He is 5 now and I just know it would have been easier when he was younger.

It will be great to get some answers tomorrow. Really curious to get the details of the placenta tests because early on I was told I had a circumvallate placenta but it was nothing to worry about but everything I could find out about it (not much) was pretty scary. They have said that the placenta was failing so I wonder if it was because of that. All will become clear tomorrow finally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Good luck tomorrow emma fingers crossed for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My daughter has the same, she has glasses and has needed a patch for 3 hours a day for the last year and a half. Next appointment in September so fingers crossed we can leave the patch. She's very good for wearing it though thankfully.

Xdancer wrote: »
    My daughter has the same, she has glasses and has needed a patch for 3 hours a day for the last year and a half. Next appointment in September so fingers crossed we can leave the patch. She's very good for wearing it though thankfully.

Same as my guy! He also wears a patch everyday. He's very good tbh. I thought it would be difficult but heckeeps it on most days. We also have an appt in September! good luck with yours! 😊

So we had our appointment and was told that there is a gain on the long arm of chromosome 6 at 16q. I have no idea what that means lol so consultant said that with the anomaly and her physical appearance she would be concerned enough to refer her to a geneticist. I've opted to go private as I'm told wait times aren't great. Delighted to have this referral and know I'm lucky to have it. So back to waiting but at least I know something now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

So we had our appointment and was told that there is a gain on the long arm of chromosome 6 at 16q. I have no idea what that means lol so consultant said that with the anomaly and her physical appearance she would be concerned enough to refer her to a geneticist. I've opted to go private as I'm told wait times aren't great. Delighted to have this referral and know I'm lucky to have it. So back to waiting but at least I know something now.
    Hope everything is ok with your baby. You have a remarkable attitude. Best of luck.

Hope everything is ok with your baby. You have a remarkable attitude. Best of luck.

Thanks a million MH. I feel so blessed to have her and this hasn't changed that. I love her little face. Her needs will be met like they are with her brother and sister just a different game plan. I have a really good support system so that helps a lot when I think about the challenges that I could be facing and she really is as good as gold. A wee pet :-D

Thanks a million MH. I feel so blessed to have her and this hasn't changed that. I love her little face. Her needs will be met like they are with her brother and sister just a different game plan. I have a really good support system so that helps a lot when I think about the challenges that I could be facing and she really is as good as gold. A wee pet :-D

Emma what a wonderful positive attitude. Sounds like she is a little pet!

Emma what a wonderful positive attitude. Sounds like she is a little pet!

Thanks Sligo. If anything I've just gone straight into mama bear mode. I'm thinking what does she need and how do I get it. It's up to me now to pull my socks up and do what needs to be done! She is relying on me and I don't want to let her down.

Thanks Sligo. If anything I've just gone straight into mama bear mode. I'm thinking what does she need and how do I get it. It's up to me now to pull my socks up and do what needs to be done! She is relying on me and I don't want to let her down.

What an awesome mum to have! X

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for all your kind words. Finally found something about it and it's pretty much what I expected. My sister is already on the case printing out forms for all sorts of things. Lucky to have someone who knows the ins and outs of this. My very own personal social worker lol

Advertisement