Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks for the help. It'd not nappy stains. It's general food stains. I just hung out a wash and most of my daughters tops till have stains on them. I do a wash every second or third day.
    Is it the box of washing powder Millem?

Yes it's the green almatt powder. I just wash our clothes with it, don't bother soaking etc for normal stains now! The stuff is unreal ;) I find the next best detergent for clothes is Persil non bio small and mighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Thank you. I was prepared to pay lots of money for a decent washing powder sp very happy price wise with your suggestion!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thank you. I was prepared to pay lots of money for a decent washing powder sp very happy price wise with your suggestion!! Thanks

I find it the best by a mile! I used to have to wash mucky rugby jerseys twice as they would still be filthy :( now I only need to wash them once with almatt! Just make sure you measure out the powder!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I hung a vest with poo stains on the line the other day when it was really sunny- I went back and the stain was gone! I also hung something out with grass stains- they vanished too- so maybe the sun will sort out what's already on the line for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

jlm29 wrote: »
    I hung a vest with poo stains on the line the other day when it was really sunny- I went back and the stain was gone! I also hung something out with grass stains- they vanished too- so maybe the sun will sort out what's already on the line for you!

Your right. They've faded! Going to get the washing powder recommended. Can't rely on the sun forever!

• Advertisement

Your right. They've faded! Going to get the washing powder recommended. Can't rely on the sun forever!

Not around here I suppose! Still though, I thought it was quite the miracle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

jlm29 wrote: »

I went on a stain removing mission the other day while the sun was out. My daughter had a lovely white outfit ruined after one wear with muck (she is a real tomboy). Steeped in cold water and hung out in the sun and it was immaculate. I didn't fancy my chances as it had already been through the wash.

I went on a stain removing mission the other day while the sun was out. My daughter had a lovely white outfit ruined after one wear with muck (she is a real tomboy). Steeped in cold water and hung out in the sun and it was immaculate. I didn't fancy my chances as it had already been through the wash.

I don't understand how I never discovered this before!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Direct sunlight is also great for killing bacteria on clothes if people are buying the expensive stuff for bacteria

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice here... I was induced at 37 weeks due to IUGR. When baby was in nicu I was told she had dysmorphic features and bloods were taken to be sent to crumlin to a geneticist. These tests usually take 2 weeks to come back but 6 weeks on today and still no results.

Instead they took more bloods and told me that crumlin wanted to send another sample to the UK for testing. The doc was very vague when I asked questions and I don't know if they have found something and need further information or if they came back clear and have decided to cast the net wider. Has anyone had any experience with this at all. I don't want to get worked up because she might just look "different" and tbh even if there is somethin,g I know I'll deal with it. It's the not knowing what's going on is really bothering me!
    Straight after that I was told that there is some movement in one of her hips so have also been referred to orthapedic surgeon in temple street. Poor little sausage isn't getting a break from all the prodding anytime soon.

So my results have come in and they are abnormal. Consultant rang yesterday and is going to go through everything with me at my next appointment but I reckon it's something very minor as she is hitting all her milestones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Fingers crossed its nothing to worry about Emma

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Hopefully it's minor Emma. It must have been a hard phone call to get though. And stay off google for now... Easier said than done I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Hopefully it goes well Emma

Thanks guys. I was expecting to feel some sort of shock when I got the call but I clearly had myself very well prepared for it because I was ok. I'm just going to take it as it comes until I have all the information.

It's one of those things that I'm probably not going to know for sure about any sort of limitations she might have until she gets that bit older so taking it as it comes seems like the best approach for now! Google will not be used lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Sending hugs Emma. Hope all is ok.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Sending hugs Emma. Hope all is ok.

Thanks Sligo. The doctor doesn't seem overly concerned so I'm cautiously optimistic :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Thinking of you, Emma.

Thinking of you, Emma.

Thanks a million ivy :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We've been getting our little fella used to the potty with no nappy time and I was planning on starting full on training this weekend. However, we have 2 day trips planned during the week so I'm thinking now that we will probably have to revert to nappies or training pants for those days. Would I be better off leaving the training until after next week? I'm in 2 minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

We've been getting our little fella used to the potty with no nappy time and I was planning on starting full on training this weekend. However, we have 2 day trips planned during the week so I'm thinking now that we will probably have to revert to nappies or training pants for those days. Would I be better off leaving the training until after next week? I'm in 2 minds.

I think pull ups or nappies confuse them far too much, so for both of mine once we started it was pants all the way. If he's ready to be trained 3 days should do it, so once you have access to a toilet or bring the potty then day trips should be fine

• Advertisement

When we were out, my son was trained but my daughter wasn't. My son said he needed to go and there was nowhere around to go so I put on my daughters nappy, let him go and took it straight back off again and into the bin. You could maybe try something like that?

Question for mums with older children of school going age. Is it still acceptable to give a pillow case for potato sack race on sports day? Nike haven't started making some sort of high spec equivalent or anything? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

You got a pillow case? Fierce posh:D

We got an actual sack :D one of those rough hessian ones that was like a brillo on your legs!

I would not be surprised though if sports manufacturers did a whole matching kit of sack, spoon and coordinating egg, tug-of-war rope and full outfit. And if the don't you should design a range. Guaranteed there would be some parents out there who would buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

I've had depression on n off for years n recently just having really hard time. I feel like I'm letting my daughter down because all she gets is cranky, angry or sad mommy and it's not fair :( I want to be happy with her, I want to be enthusiastic and joyful about things but it's just so hard sometimes. I am a single mother too. I have a lot of help but it's me at the end of the day that gets the tantrums tears and whatever else. I feel like I'm failing her. I have decided to put her in the creche for an extra few hours so I can have me time/go to the gym/sleep but I feel guilty for even doing it. What can I do to make sure this doesn't effect her happiness or overall wellbeing?

Sapphire wrote: »
    You got a pillow case? Fierce posh:D

We got an actual sack :D one of those rough hessian ones that was like a brillo on your legs!

I would not be surprised though if sports manufacturers did a whole matching kit of sack, spoon and coordinating egg, tug-of-war rope and full outfit. And if the don't you should design a range. Guaranteed there would be some parents out there who would buy it.

I was actually just saying this to my sister! Dragons den here I come lol

Makapakka wrote: »
    I've had depression on n off for years n recently just having really hard time. I feel like I'm letting my daughter down because all she gets is cranky, angry or sad mommy and it's not fair :( I want to be happy with her, I want to be enthusiastic and joyful about things but it's just so hard sometimes. I am a single mother too. I have a lot of help but it's me at the end of the day that gets the tantrums tears and whatever else. I feel like I'm failing her. I have decided to put her in the creche for an extra few hours so I can have me time/go to the gym/sleep but I feel guilty for even doing it. What can I do to make sure this doesn't effect her happiness or overall wellbeing?

Have you ever tried cbt? I found it really direct and effective. I came out my funk pretty soon with the help of cbt and I've never gone down again. I don't know why but I had cbt for 10 weeks 9 years ago and have been managing we'll ever since.

Have you ever tried cbt? I found it really direct and effective. I came out my funk pretty soon with the help of cbt and I've never gone down again. I don't know why but I had cbt for 10 weeks 9 years ago and have been managing we'll ever since.

I was actually just saying this to my sister! Dragons den here I come lol

I'd swear I had a plastic sack -(as in, not a bin liner, probably something agricultural that had me spending the rest of the day smelling like calf nuts). It's a wonder I never broke my neck

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Yeah I've been going for four years now.. There's just a lot of things to get through. .

• Advertisement

Yeah I've been going for four years now.. There's just a lot of things to get through. .

Would you try supplementing the cbt with the parenting course? A lot of the stuff in the course would probably be common sense to you but attending he course might help you keep those things in mind when your with your child and help to motivate you to parent in a way that doesn't make you feel so bad about yourself.

Btw I wouldn't feel bad about taking the me time. I am on maternity leave and I still send my other 2 children to their child minder 2 days a week to spend one on one with new baby, clean the house and catch up on sleep as husband works away a lot. You need that time. Don't feel guilty about it.

Advertisement