Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Digs wrote: »
    Any tips for a 10 week old with a cold? I assume the usual medicines are out as she's so small. Poor thing is breaking my heart. Sniffly runny nose and a little cough, she's unsettled sleeping, seems to find it hard work sucking her soother. My first literally was never sick as a baby so this is new to me, she started preschool a week ago though and already the bugs are coming home :(

Will naturally bring her to the doc if it continues but just wondered if anyone has any tips to give her a bit of comfort?
    Was the other way around in this house. My first was always sick but this lady is doing great. For colds, a little snuffle baby of chest or on her bib or the sheet. Saline spray up nostrils and then use an aspirator (the one you suck not the bulb one) to clear the gunge out. Long term look at a probioticike udos choice as your little girl will probably continue to bring home bugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Thanks girls, the saline spray saved us. First night was horrible, she slept well but listening to her snort and snuffle wasn't nice. She's been ok since and is is good form.

YH will def pick up a probiotic for the two of them thanks for the tip, am worried now heading into winter that #1 is going to pick up everything in preschool and pass it onto the little one. We were spoiled with the childminder!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I know it's crap. I remember the first year my son went to Creche I used most of my annual leave on days minding him. I think he got cobjunctivitis 3 times. I've other friends with kids in Creche sbd they got nothing so think my son was just a Petri dish for germs.
    Hope your little one is well. It's so lovely second time isn't it?

She's an absolute doll and you're right the second time is definitely much different, we're so much more relaxed! Think that rubs off on baby too. I'm aware if she doesn't nap now, she'll nap eventually etc etc

Maybe preschool won't be as bad as I'm expecting sickness wise, I just think it's a bad time of year to start with the weather and having a smallie at home, at least I'm on maternity leave anyway and will be for a good while yet!

I already want a third.... Three is the magic number and then I'm done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

Digs wrote: »
    She's an absolute doll and you're right the second time is definitely much different, we're so much more relaxed! Think that rubs off on baby too. I'm aware if she doesn't nap now, she'll nap eventually etc etc

Maybe preschool won't be as bad as I'm expecting sickness wise, I just think it's a bad time of year to start with the weather and having a smallie at home, at least I'm on maternity leave anyway and will be for a good while yet!

I already want a third.... Three is the magic number and then I'm done :)

Same here, I have two and I don't think I'll feel 'complete' until I have one more baby. I grew up in a big family and I would like the same for my children. It's just figuring out when I can have another baby, I need to get back to work and into a permanent contract first. We're also saving for a mortgage so it won't be for another 3-4 years. Sometimes it's hard being a grown up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Same here, I have two and I don't think I'll feel 'complete' until I have one more baby. I grew up in a big family and I would like the same for my children. It's just figuring out when I can have another baby, I need to get back to work and into a permanent contract first. We're also saving for a mortgage so it won't be for another 3-4 years. Sometimes it's hard being a grown up!

I don't think I'll ever feel like I'm finished! Unfortunately my OH thinks two is plenty, so I need to talk him into having a third, and pray it's twins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Two really is enough for me! Actually, I wasn't even sure I wanted a second, it was only when my boy got toilet trained and a bit "easier" that I thought about having another. My daughter is only almost six months old so I feel like the family is complete for the moment anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I am in two minds as two I can manage (barely sometimes) buy always wanted 3. Will chat with my OH next year as we don't have the money!

I keep saying to myself that I've two beautiful healthy girls and I wish I could feel like we were done but I can't help it, I want three! Even if I convinced myself I just want two guaranteed in a few years time I'd want three again! I'd love to be throwing away the maternity clothes and giving away the newborn stuff but I can't.

It took us a year each time to get pregnant with the girls so I'd say after Christmas we'll see what happens, I'd much rather a smaller gap than to go right back to newborn in a few years. If two is all we have though I'm more than happy with the pair of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

We have one at the moment - 16 month old girl. I feel like this is such a lovely age and I'm getting so much fun from her that I don't want to rock the boat and change anything! We've a trip to the US booked for Christmas so had always said we wouldn't start trying until after then anyway just in case of Zika so we'll see how we feel in 2017 I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We were happy and busy enough with our 2 and had decided we didn't want any more so it was a huge shock when I found out recently that I'm expecting number 3 :eek: We were being super careful and all (or at least we thought we were!) Took a while to sink in but we're delighted now :D OH will deffo be going for the snip after this one though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

We were happy and busy enough with our 2 and had decided we didn't want any more so it was a huge shock when I found out recently that I'm expecting number 3 :eek: We were being super careful and all (or at least we thought we were!) Took a while to sink in but we're delighted now :D OH will deffo be going for the snip after this one though :pac:

Congrats Rayan Low Lambskin!!!! You are going to be one busy lady! I would love 4 but OH wants 3. I've just got a promotion in a new job so while we were going to start trying for number 3 in August we have to put it off yet again. So might start in maybe 6 months. I'd prob be able to talk OH into a number 4 but I don't want my next 2 so close together. So it might end up that we just have the 3 unless the fourth is in my late 30s.

Thanks Sligo! Not sure how I'll manage yet but I'm sure we'll get by with some form of organized chaos :D Congrats on your promotion! I had just started working again when I found out I was expecting. Thankfully the work is mostly home based and I can choose my own hours but I don't know if I'll be able to fit it in with a newborn baby too so it's a bit of a pain. 3 will DEFINITELY be enough for us! I don't think I'd be able to go back to the newborn stage again after a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Congrats mrspostman :D

Anyone else the sole target for toddler rage? 99% of the time, I get the slaps and hair pulls :( We always reprimand him but he never does it to his dad, grrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

My 3rd baby is 12 weeks old and already I know I would love another baby, hubby says no though, :(

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

I only had my first baby in april but I know I want one more always just wanted 2 I'm 37 I had a c section so apparently U have to wait a year ideally to go again. I'd like them to be close in age so I could get the small baby stage over together but I know it be hard work of

Has anyone ordered toys from george@asda before? Do they deliver everything in one box? I want to ordera few bits but don't want it to cost a fortune for parcel motel if they all arrive separately.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Last time I ordered from Asda it did come in one box.I was ordering very small baby clothes though.

Yeah I've ordered clothes from them and they deffo came in one pack but I'm a bit wary of the toys, especially since one item is fairly large. Might just order the big thing to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

I'm just wondering is there a growth spurt at three? My daughter is constantly looking for food at the moment! I pick her up from creche around 4 and she'll be looking for food the minute we get home. She has her tea in creche about 3/3.30 so she shouldn't be that hungry! Anyone else experience this?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Ive read that theres a growth spurt as they turn 2 and turn 3

I was going to ask a similar question about age 2. My little boy has just turned 2 and has started waking at night for asking for mammy and sounding quite upset but sleepy and going back to sleep after 2-3 mins or so. I've just been leaving him be since he can get back to sleep it cant be that bad. But he sounds upset and im wondering if i should sleep in his room for a while so i can talk to him when he wakes. Normally by the time ive left it a minute and then gone upstairs, hes asleep again. Its that he sounds upset / crying that bothers me. Is this a normal phase that they go through?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi all, any ideas where I would get nice quality boys 3-4 years tops with diggers/fire engines/cars etc on? Also looking for tracksuit bottoms not slim of skinny in a 3-4 but no dark colours like navy or black!! (we have 2 yellow labradors that shed!!). Saw some ice ones on boots and boden but no stock also out on stock in his size in next in tops and tracksuit bottoms were too slim ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I find the Bluezoo range of boys clothes from Debenhams are lovely. Usually in great colours and usually a good range with the obligatory mode of transport on front. I've also gotten gorgeous boys tops from DPAM and from JoJo Maman Bebe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Millem wrote: »
    Hi all, any ideas where I would get nice quality boys 3-4 years tops with diggers/fire engines/cars etc on? Also looking for tracksuit bottoms not slim of skinny in a 3-4 but no dark colours like navy or black!! (we have 2 yellow labradors that shed!!). Saw some ice ones on boots and boden but no stock also out on stock in his size in next in tops and tracksuit bottoms were too slim ;(

Next? And they usually have a range of 2 for 20 or something similar that would include tracksuit Ends and tops so you could mix and match. Not sure if they do the offer online too or only in store. They've a good selection of colours online for the tracksuits.

sillysocks wrote: »

Next? And they usually have a range of 2 for 20 or something similar that would include tracksuit Ends and tops so you could mix and match. Not sure if they do the offer online too or only in store. They've a good selection of colours online for the tracksuits.
    Sillysocks checked next......bottoms too slim :( my boy is chunky!!! No tops in his size in store :(

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

H&M and Benetton maybe?

Xdancer wrote: »
    H&M and Benetton maybe?

H and m bottoms look great online! Thanks a mil. 20% off this weekend

My small fella is chunky and I have some age 3-4 trackie pants from h+m that are great. I find their tops wash awful though. We also have a load of age 2-3 pants from m+s that are just about still fitting him now. M+s long sleeved tshirts are brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

I want to start helping my daughter (3) sleep in her bed all night. I use a salt lamp so the room is half bright and she is scared of the dark. She will sleep soundly til 11 and then cry to come in. I try get her to go back into her bed after a hug but she screams until I give in because I need my sleep. But I would just love a full nights sleep with no feet in my back and hands in my face. What can ye all advise? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Honest to god question, is it possible to emotionally love your kid too much? I've just been joking with my sister that I was emotionally stunted pre-kid and now I'm an emotional wreck post-kid. I do find it a little intense sometimes just how much I love my two year old lady. She's really the apple of her daddy's eye.

Advertisement