Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I know the Gro company sleep bags are OK from 8lb. You should definitely only put him to sleep on his back, it's much much safer. When our daughter was tiny we got a Slumber Bear who plays white noise. The noise box comes out and can attach to the cot which we did for the first few months, seemed to help her.

I had a slumber bear on my son and I threw it out lol the batteries were wasting and it sounded like someone choking. I got such a fright it was taken from the ℅ sleeper and never used again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Just read this article about the guy who was shot recently, his poem to his mother at the end made me cry. Poor guy really felt the loss and the love of his mother.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/martin-o-rourke-funeral-hears-of-man-trying-to-turn-life-around-1.2620637

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Trying to change the soother to just sleep time and it's being going well but there are aye obviously where she will cry for it more because she's more tired, also is cutting out naps (didn't start the two together), do I just give in, or wait it out.. The crying is cutting me in two today because we're all exhausted, we both have already cried a lot today!

Makapakka wrote: »
    Trying to change the soother to just sleep time and it's being going well but there are aye obviously where she will cry for it more because she's more tired, also is cutting out naps (didn't start the two together), do I just give in, or wait it out.. The crying is cutting me in two today because we're all exhausted, we both have already cried a lot today!

That sounds like a rough day :-( how old is she now maka?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Makapakka wrote: »

Why are you trying to change giving the soother? They are an absolute life saver in this house. He just loves his dummy. Taking it off him in a year or two will be a battle but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
    Being a mammy is hard enough without making it harder for yourself. If baby gets comfort from soother then just give it.
    My little man is really trying to put it into his own mouth and last week it was going up his nose, in his eye everywhere but his mouth (very cute actually!) but this week he has it nearly perfected.

Ah sorry maka I'm just realising that your little one is a lot older. I thought it was a young baby you were talking about. Can't really give any personal advice but I know my cousin has the same battle and her girl will be 4 in September! The compromise is that it sleeps "for the day" under her pillow and only comes out at nighttime. They are also posting it to Santy in a few weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We're cutting our exceptionally squealy little girls daytime dodie at the moment too makkapakka, it's tough :( She is 1 since February and I would have been happy letting her have it full time for a bit longer but our gp said that it was causing a rash on her face so we have started curtailing it.

We are using the same routine that worked for our little boy, when she wakes in the morning or from her nap, she gives the dodie to the teddy that she sleeps with. We make a big deal out of it, telling her that teddy was awake minding her while she was asleep so now teddy needs the dodie to go to sleep himself. So she gives her dodie to teddy and if she asks for it later we remind her that teddy has it and she'll get it at bedtime. She seems to understand it but it doesn't stop her getting cranky and screechy :(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Had the funniest conversation with S this morning.

S: Did you buy me in a shop?
    Me: No, I grew you in my tummy?
    S (disbelieving): What?
    Me: I grew you in my tummy and when you were big enough I had to go to the hospital and the doctor opened my tummy and took you out. And that's how I got you.
    S sat quietly thinking about it with a very unconvinced look on his face.
    S: Can I see the video.
    Me: Ah, no honey, I don't have any video of you being born.
    S (with a 'you can't fool me' look on his face): You bought me in a shop.

Funny as it is though it actually feels like a massive milestone as up until this morning any suggestion that there was a time before him has been completely shut down with either anger or tears as it's been too impossible for him to imagine.

iguana wrote: »
    Had the funniest conversation with S this morning.

S: Did you buy me in a shop?
    Me: No, I grew you in my tummy?
    S (disbelieving): What?
    Me: I grew you in my tummy and when you were big enough I had to go to the hospital and the doctor opened my tummy and took you out. And that's how I got you.
    S sat quietly thinking about it with a very unconvinced look on his face.
    S: Can I see the video.
    Me: Ah, no honey, I don't have any video of you being born.
    S (with a 'you can't fool me' look on his face): You bought me in a shop.

Funny as it is though it actually feels like a massive milestone as up until this morning any suggestion that there was a time before him has been completely shut down with either anger or tears as it's been too impossible for him to imagine.

Lmao this reminds me of when my mam was pregnant on my younger brother. She said to my older brother, do you think the new baby is a boy or a girl and my brother said why don't you ask him. My mam said ask who? And my brother said I don't know, whoever your getting it off.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Lmao this reminds me of when my mam was pregnant on my younger brother. She said to my older brother, do you think the new baby is a boy or a girl and my brother said why don't you ask him. My mam said ask who? And my brother said I don't know, whoever your getting it off.

Back when my mum was young and the community midwife would come to help birth her younger siblings they had a little doctor bag. Logically I thought, she came to the conclusion that they brought the baby in the little bag on the back carrier of their bike :D

Neyite wrote: »
    Back when my mum was young and the community midwife would come to help birth her younger siblings they had a little doctor bag. Logically I thought, she came to the conclusion that they brought the baby in the little bag on the back carrier of their bike :D

Lol very logical I agree! I recently had number 3 and my son was very concerned about how much it was going to hurt me. I said they might take her out of my belly. He didn't like the idea of them cutting my belly so I said I can also push her out like a poo. Would you prefer that? That put his mind at ease and he was very happy my belly wasn't cut. God love them. It's very hard to get to grips with it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My four year old is quite convinced that they chopped my head off, and reached down my neck to pull his brother out... He didn't seem that put out about it, so I didn't go to too much trouble to set him straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My four year old seems to think that if you eat too much food you'll have a baby in your tummy. No idea where that came from!
    When I told her that only moms and das can make babies, she looked at me as if I was stupid and said "daddies can't have babies"

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice here... I was induced at 37 weeks due to IUGR. When baby was in nicu I was told she had dysmorphic features and bloods were taken to be sent to crumlin to a geneticist. These tests usually take 2 weeks to come back but 6 weeks on today and still no results.

Instead they took more bloods and told me that crumlin wanted to send another sample to the UK for testing. The doc was very vague when I asked questions and I don't know if they have found something and need further information or if they came back clear and have decided to cast the net wider. Has anyone had any experience with this at all. I don't want to get worked up because she might just look "different" and tbh even if there is somethin,g I know I'll deal with it. It's the not knowing what's going on is really bothering me!
    Straight after that I was told that there is some movement in one of her hips so have also been referred to orthapedic surgeon in temple street. Poor little sausage isn't getting a break from all the prodding anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We've had genetic testing done but incredibly limited they were looking for a 22q11 deletion I think DiGeorge Syndrome. They were done last Nov and paed is following up now as Crumlin never let us know either way. They reported on everything else except that. It's desperately worrying having to wait and I have no answers for you but I do understand the worry of waiting for the tests to come up. I hope that you get answers soon.

cyning wrote: »
    We've had genetic testing done but incredibly limited they were looking for a 22q11 deletion I think DiGeorge Syndrome. They were done last Nov and paed is following up now as Crumlin never let us know either way. They reported on everything else except that. It's desperately worrying having to wait and I have no answers for you but I do understand the worry of waiting for the tests to come up. I hope that you get answers soon.

God that is a shocking long time to wait. I'm told I'll have the results in 3 weeks time I was just wondering why they have to send to the UK as most of the more common syndromes can be diagnosed here. I should have asked the questions but you know yourself when you get blindsided you don't think of the questions until your on your way home lol . Keep us posted on how you get on. Hope it's soon for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

In our case the problem is we were discharged without the results and they were supposed to be provided. It was always highly unlikely with us tbh as she had none of the facial features. They don't have the facilities here for a lot of them: we also had metabolic tests done and they were taken in Limerick, sent to Temple St and some had to go to the Uk too. All clear there too thankfully. So just because they are testing for something doesn't mean she has it.

Do try stay away from google though. It doesn't help!

And write anything you think of down. I had a list of 13 questions one day: but if I didn't I would have forgotten it!

cyning wrote: »
    In our case the problem is we were discharged without the results and they were supposed to be provided. It was always highly unlikely with us tbh as she had none of the facial features. They don't have the facilities here for a lot of them: we also had metabolic tests done and they were taken in Limerick, sent to Temple St and some had to go to the Uk too. All clear there too thankfully. So just because they are testing for something doesn't mean she has it.

Do try stay away from google though. It doesn't help!

And write anything you think of down. I had a list of 13 questions one day: but if I didn't I would have forgotten it!

Yeah I'm not too worried. She does have low set ears and a short chin but none of the other things you would expect like poor muscle tone and poor feeding. She is very strong and has a great suck (sometimes I can't get the bottle off her) she is a very placid baby but also very alert and grabbing at things and looking all around at everything. At 6 weeks I haven't noticed any differences behaviour wise to my other two. In fact she is very similar baby to my other daughter who is 3 this week and developmentally perfect. It's a waiting game I suppose but Google will not be touched lol my sister works in a maternity hospital so I'm asking her some questions but that's it.

Baby is a disaster for taking his bottle. Always has been but he is rapidly losing interest in it.
    He wakes at 6am and guzzles that 7oz bottle but the rest of the day is a battle. My mother is minding him and today, for example, he only drank 3 or 4 ounces between 9 am and 3:30pm. He's gone to bed there and drank 6oz between 6pm and bedtime so only 16/17 ounces taken today. Other days he might take less!
    He is 6months old. Good for taking his food so have no worries there but is becoming constipated with lack of liquids.
    Have tried a beaker and no joy yet but I will persevere. I'm replacing an ounce of water in bottle with ounce of prune juice and that is helping with constipation but is there anything else I should be doing? Worried he is not getting what he needs

heldel00 wrote: »
    Baby is a disaster for taking his bottle. Always has been but he is rapidly losing interest in it.
    He wakes at 6am and guzzles that 7oz bottle but the rest of the day is a battle. My mother is minding him and today, for example, he only drank 3 or 4 ounces between 9 am and 3:30pm. He's gone to bed there and drank 6oz between 6pm and bedtime so only 16/17 ounces taken today. Other days he might take less!
    He is 6months old. Good for taking his food so have no worries there but is becoming constipated with lack of liquids.
    Have tried a beaker and no joy yet but I will persevere. I'm replacing an ounce of water in bottle with ounce of prune juice and that is helping with constipation but is there anything else I should be doing? Worried he is not getting what he needs

How long is he on solids? Mine lost interest in the bottles very quickly when the started solid. My daughter had very bad constipation once the solids started and I thought it was the absence of the bottles too and then I had a look at what she was eating and realised she was having an awful lot of iron. She absolutely loved green veg and cheese so had to cut them back a lot and it seemed to help. Maybe it's something in his diet that's causing it as opposed to lack of bottles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Water is key to avoiding constipation. Also try to give pear or kiwi each day to help keep them regular.

• Advertisement

He's on solids about 6 weeks. Watches us like a hawk when we are eating anything at all and his mouth is smacking looking for some. Couldn't really say he is getting a lot of green veg. Mostly textured purées.
    Trying to introduce different foods every few days (btw how do you 'wet' up your mushed egg in a cup without adding a load of butter??)
    He is a big fan of avocado and kiwi so I know he'll take the kiwi for me. I'll have to stock up tomorrow.
    I just hope he's getting what he needs from the few ounces and the grub. I suppose one way to think of it is that if I was breastfeeding I wouldn't be able to measures how much he has taken to the exact ounce

He's on solids about 6 weeks. Watches us like a hawk when we are eating anything at all and his mouth is smacking looking for some. Couldn't really say he is getting a lot of green veg. Mostly textured purées.
    Trying to introduce different foods every few days (btw how do you 'wet' up your mushed egg in a cup without adding a load of butter??)
    He is a big fan of avocado and kiwi so I know he'll take the kiwi for me. I'll have to stock up tomorrow.
    I just hope he's getting what he needs from the few ounces and the grub. I suppose one way to think of it is that if I was breastfeeding I wouldn't be able to measures how much he has taken to the exact ounce

They do really take what they need so I wouldn't worry too much. I used formula in pretty much anything that needed a bit of wetness lol just a tiny bit would do it for egg. There is also a lot of iron in eggs as well. Mine absolutely love eggs but when they were teeny I only gave them twice a week if even but that's because everything they seemed to love was high in iron lol

Thanks Emma. I'll give the formula in the egg a go but I'll wait to see if constipation eases first. An egg would just completely bung him up! Thanks again

Thanks Emma. I'll give the formula in the egg a go but I'll wait to see if constipation eases first. An egg would just completely bung him up! Thanks again

Try a curry lol that might get things going. There's loads of great baby curry recipes knocking about online. Hopefully the constipation eases soon.

Does anyone have any tips on how to rid of d+v bugs out of the house once and for all? My little fella has had diahhrea on and off for the last 2 weeks and this week everyone in the house has had a dose of it (sorry if tmi :o ). I've been cleaning like a loon, bleaching and dettol-ing, especially after nappy changes. Militant handwashing. Washing bed linen and towels etc. I thought we were finally getting rid of it but he had it again last night :(

Gp says we just have to keep up the hygiene until it passes. I don't know what else I can do, short of putting him in the bath and washing him after every nappy change (I would do this if I could but I've a bad back and cannot manage the kids in the bath unless I have someone else there to help). As it is, I'm wiping down with a clean fresh washcloth after every poo but it's just not making any difference :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Does anyone have any tips on how to rid of d+v bugs out of the house once and for all? My little fella has had diahhrea on and off for the last 2 weeks and this week everyone in the house has had a dose of it (sorry if tmi :o ). I've been cleaning like a loon, bleaching and dettol-ing, especially after nappy changes. Militant handwashing. Washing bed linen and towels etc. I thought we were finally getting rid of it but he had it again last night :(

Gp says we just have to keep up the hygiene until it passes. I don't know what else I can do, short of putting him in the bath and washing him after every nappy change (I would do this if I could but I've a bad back and cannot manage the kids in the bath unless I have someone else there to help). As it is, I'm wiping down with a clean fresh washcloth after every poo but it's just not making any difference :(

Unfortunately I think you just have to let it run its course. I don't think you can clean etc anymore than you are so just try and take it easy or you will just get very stressed. A good detol surface wipe after every nappy change and sick will be fine. And stringent hand washing. U seem to be doing all this anyway. Hope you are all feeling better soon.

Thanks Sligo I was just hoping there was some magic trick I was missing out on that would make it go away! It's an awful thing for an adult to have, never mind poor smallies in nappies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks Sligo I was just hoping there was some magic trick I was missing out on that would make it go away! It's an awful thing for an adult to have, never mind poor smallies in nappies :(

Yea it's horrible isn't it! We had it for 2 full weeks all over Xmas and new year and couldn't leave the house. OH got it aswell and it was so awful!

It's impossible to keep your house germ free. This happened with my son before and I was pregnant at the time so the smell was absolutely destroying my emotions and stomach lol I used the dettol aerosol on absolutely everything and dettol wipes were in massive stock. Washed floors and bath/bath toys with Milton but ultimately I think it leaves the house when its ready!

I was also putting a cap full of Milton into my washing machine lol not sure if it's good for the machine or not but I wasn't paying the crazy price for the Dettol laundry disinfectant.

• Advertisement

Ooh the Milton in the wash is a great idea, the Dettol laundry stuff is a shocking price :eek:

Advertisement