Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 - 1000 mile challenge - How far have you run since Jan 1st?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

The table really highlights the change in emphasis in mileage over the last few years. IIRC bazman and Hunnymonster were way out on their own the first year of this and finished around March 31st. And that was looked on as being very impressive. This year there's quite a few on target for that and better.

On similar lines there seems to be a sentiment (on letsrun) that the notion of reduced mileage and more quality based on diminishing returns once over ~80m a week which was professed by Daniels and others harmed American distance running. And that now that they are back doing high mileage they are coming to the fore again.

Will be very interesting seeing how Cam Levins (Canadian college student in US; 13:41 5000 and 7:48 3000) gets on considering he has been doing 155-170 miles a week. Although he has recently dropped to 130 a week to accommodate the introduction of speedwork but the intention is to get back to the higher level and actually do more again in time.

As a matter of interest 155-170 is obtained via:
    4 days of 25-30m over 3 runs
    2 days of 20m over 2 runs
    1 day of 10m, 1 run

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

1 day of 10m, 1 run

My legs hurt just reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Woo hoo, broke into the top 100!! Prob for all of 10 mins before next person below me updates!
    Not due to complete challenge until April 1st 2013 though, must try harder!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

The table really highlights the change in emphasis in mileage over the last few years. IIRC bazman and Hunnymonster were way out on their own the first year of this and finished around March 31st. And that was looked on as being very impressive. This year there's quite a few on target for that and better.

On similar lines there seems to be a sentiment (on letsrun) that the notion of reduced mileage and more quality based on diminishing returns once over ~80m a week which was professed by Daniels and others harmed American distance running. And that now that they are back doing high mileage they are coming to the fore again.

Will be very interesting seeing how Cam Levins (Canadian college student in US; 13:41 5000 and 7:48 3000) gets on considering he has been doing 155-170 miles a week. Although he has recently dropped to 130 a week to accommodate the introduction of speedwork but the intention is to get back to the higher level and actually do more again in time.

1 day of 10m, 1 run

While I think there has definitely been a shift back from the Runnersworld less is more mentality which crept in during the 90s I think this is not the only contributing factor to the increase of mileage over the last few years on this thread.

You have to look at the progression of the runners over the last few years. There is a shift where alot of the newbies who would have been only starting off in the sport, As the years have progressed there bodies have adapted to training and are able to handle more mileage without getting injured. There may have been a few of them who were on course at this stage also in them years but fell away because of injury or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

So is T-Runner going to get the finger out and surpass the golden 100 miles per week mark??
    Really, all it takes is that extra 3%!!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

belcarra wrote: »
    So is T-Runner going to get the finger out and surpass the golden 100 miles per week mark??
    Really, all it takes is that extra 3%!!:D:D

I know some people are just lazy right:p

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

could anyone help me on how to log my name and miles in this,thanks keep up the great work everyone,done 30 miles today,was going to try and keep the pace for the first 20 at 7.30pace,and managed to do the hole 30 in 7.28pace,so im very happy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

could anyone help me on how to log my name and miles in this,thanks keep up the great work everyone,done 30 miles today,was going to try and keep the pace for the first 20 at 7.30pace,and managed to do the hole 30 in 7.28pace,so im very happy.:)

I've added you in at the end of the table. Enter the distance you're run so far this year in column C.

thanks ray,i logged in my miles but im still at the bottom,does it find its place itself[were you are in the table]?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

thanks ray,i logged in my miles but im still at the bottom,does it find its place itself[were you are in the table]?

Click on the 'positions' tab at the bottom of the sheet.

• Advertisement

menoscemo when i press position it goes to the right place but when i close the page its gone again,how do i get it to stay in the right position,thanks

menoscemo when i press position it goes to the right place but when i close the page its gone again,how do i get it to stay in the right position,thanks

The first page changes around all the time, sometimes its sorted by name, or by miles or by something else. Don't worry about it. All you use that page for is to enter your miles.
    The Positions tab always lists people in order of position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I don't know what you mean :pac:
    When you open the sheet there are 4 tabs below the excell sheet. From left to right: 'Enter distance here' then 'Running streak', then 'Positions' then 'copy of positions'
    When you open the google doc it automatically opens on the first tab 'enter distance here' and you can modify this file but they are not ordered here in terms on distance covered. Simply click the third tab 'positions' (it has a symbol of a lock beside it) and you will find you are top by nearly 40 miles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

This is the non-editable view of the positions sheet in html, just refresh this link to see the current order:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApYKSUtVQ4OodEtydGQ4bG5RY0tXeWNaMHU5QW5YdEE&single=true&gid=1&output=html

If you want to edit your total mileage then find your name in this list, your name will not always be in the same place in the list, then update your total distance in either column C or column D depending on what unit you measure in:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApYKSUtVQ4OodEtydGQ4bG5RY0tXeWNaMHU5QW5YdEE#gid=0

There shouldn't be any need to click on anything else or edit anything other than your distance.

thanks everyone for your help:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've just looked at bottom of list and 1,000 mile completion date :)

Any reason for there to be copies of two sheets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Wow. That's what I call making an entrance. 600-plus miles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Very funny Raycun, I just updated the table and knew you needed a 13 miler plus to leap over me and 1 minute later and it appears you did just that :D

I've no long run next weekend - Garda XC instead - so you'll probably pass me then...

but I'm off work most of the week, I could pile on some miles... hmmm :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

w00t

200 miles done now with an 18 running done today, which also made for this week being another longest mileage week ever. If I'd know I was only 0.2 of a mile shy of doing 50 this week I may have kept on running round the corner for a bit when I got to the end, or I should have just turned on the Garmin during the warmup before the XC race yesterday.

No Garmin on and I can't bring myself to count it.

robinph wrote: »
    Someone was acting the bollix at 10:56 this morning and changed about 10 or so peoples names by the looks of things.

Happened again :rolleyes:

RayCun wrote: »
    Happened again :rolleyes:

Was the same person that edited Ray_lanigans mileage in the wrong column.

I've reverted it back to the edit previous to yours RayCun, so you'll need to stick your miles back in again for today. Am tempted to make it editable by signed in users only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Never happen when we used the tables:rolleyes:

I think someone's been playing silly buggers again with the names this time...

Well Seamus Flynn has entered their details in the column headings, but I think it's just been reordered alphabetically.

robinph wrote: »
    Well Seamus Flynn has entered their details in the column headings, but I think it's just been reordered alphabetically.

Not that it makes much difference but the names themselves were changed to include accents over a's and my username was misspelled to bellecarra...
    I also noticed the formatting of the 1,000mile completion date changed to decimal rather than date format...it all just looked a bit like a piece of petty vandalism tbh.

Ahh, I see that now. Someone had added in the 1000 mile completion prediction calculation.

Wish there was some way of blocking edits to just specific columns as well.

Never mind all that! Let's get back to the important stuff -

RayCun 280.57
    woddle 271.42

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Never mind all that! Let's get back to the important stuff -

RayCun 280.57
    woddle 271.42

Shouldn't Brian be sniffing around this battle for some easy money...?

Advertisement