Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

So now that the Capitol is actually opening this year (2017), anyone hear any news over xmas on what might be opening in the retail units??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

Zara have been mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

ofcork wrote: »
    Zara have been mentioned.

Not zara

Why not Zara?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Anyone know how large the retail element is going to be? i.e is it large enough for a department store?
    When the Cornmarket Street Centre was being developed there was talk of John Lewis being interested. It all came to nothing but who knows.
    Hopefully some decent stores anyway. not discount shops and cash for gold merchants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

mire wrote: »
    Not zara
    I feel your pain Mire.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I understand Zara had a look at The Capitol but instead want to go somewhere at the other end of Patrick's Street

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Has to be a shop that would drag you up that way really. Too much centered around Brown Thomas - Opera Lane these days. Zara wouldn't do that I'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Has to be a shop that would drag you up that way really. Too much centered around Brown Thomas - Opera Lane these days. Zara wouldn't do that I'd imagine

Think you're wrong there tbh - Zara and Bershka are huge draws for Mahon and I know that the business community in the city were hoping to see one or other take the anchor slot in the Capitol because of this reason.

I can't think of a particular retailer I'd like to see in there myself tbh, but all of the rumblings have been claiming a sports retailer and/or homeware store.

The size of the retail space (Savills say c.40,000sq ft) would suggest its a likely option anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Think you're wrong there tbh - Zara and Bershka are huge draws for Mahon and I know that the business community in the city were hoping to see one or other take the anchor slot in the Capitol because of this reason.

I can't think of a particular retailer I'd like to see in there myself tbh, but all of the rumblings have been claiming a sports retailer and/or homeware store.

The size of the retail space (Savills say c.40,000sq ft) would suggest its a likely option anyway.

Forever 21 or Hollister would be good draws and firsts for Cork but I haven't heard their names mooted. I can't help feeling disappointed if it's just yet another of the tracksuit shops expanding their presence in Cork in what will be a once in a generation size flagship store in such a prestigious development. Homewares are a bit too retail park if you ask me so both boring choices.

• Advertisement

What about day John Lewis or a high end store .

ongarboy wrote: »
    Forever 21 or Hollister would be good draws and firsts for Cork but I haven't heard their names mooted. I can't help feeling disappointed if it's just yet another of the tracksuit shops expanding their presence in Cork in what will be a once in a generation size flagship store in such a prestigious development. Homewares are a bit too retail park if you ask me so both boring choices.

Agree with all of that I have to say.
    I think any homeware retailer would be mad to target a city centre premises with no parking and the city is swarmed with sports shops as you say.
    I'd be happy to see someone entirely new to Ireland/Cork in there - Uniqlo or someone - but I firmly believe I'll be disappointed when all is revealed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

That is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

ofcork wrote: »
    What about day John Lewis or a high end store .
    Can't see a high end store like that being a big draw. Surely a middle of the road, popular store would bring a lot more foot fall through the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Facebook definitely taking up office space here? Have heard they're nailed on for Cork anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Its very likely they'll take space there, especially when they acquired infiniLED, makes sense to have them when the tyndall is so near.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

D'Agger wrote: »
    Facebook definitely taking up office space here? Have heard they're nailed on for Cork anyway

A prime, city centre location like that would be perfect for Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

ongarboy wrote: »
    So now that the Capitol is actually opening this year (2017), anyone hear any news over xmas on what might be opening in the retail units??

Someone said House of Fraser were the anchor tenant but who knows....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Someone said House of Fraser were the anchor tenant but who knows....

I heard this too.

I hope it won't be a disappointment when it's opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I heard this too.

I hope it won't be a disappointment when it's opened.

Isn't this opening in March? Surely an announcement can be only days away. Hoping for something decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is it not a bit small for something like House of Fraser?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Ya guys I'd be sceptical about House of Fraser. I'd be thinking it would be too small for them. Wouldn't they be looking for something more the size of Debenhams on Patrick Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Speculation is futile unless someone has something solid.

Maybe Dealz will open a superstore in there

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

thejuggler wrote: »
    Speculation is futile unless someone has something solid.

Maybe Dealz will open a superstore in there

Congratulations on the most self-evident statement ever!

I heard it's a Micheal Guineys' High Street Concept store and a Mannix & Culhane Menswear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

mire wrote: »
    Congratulations on the most self-evident statement ever!

I heard it's a Micheal Guineys' High Street Concept store and a Mannix & Culhane Menswear

I heard Peg Twomeys are opening a second location in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Bring back the Early Learning Centre!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'll throw the rumour I heard into the mix. :)

I heard Forever 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Facebook is 100% going in there I got a email from glassdoor.ie and seen that Facebook is looking for people all ready in the cork office that's not even open yet.

There going to be all IT based jobs by the looks of things.

They are Oculus jobs. They're advertised on the Facebook Careers portal too.

9 roles, all tech based. Doesn't actually state where the office is, either but surely it's the Capitol?

Although, if its just 9 roles, maybe its somewhere smaller? Or, it's the start of a more extravagant hiring process.

Oculus bought InfiniLED, a Tyndall VR spin-out last year, so it's all in connection with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

They are Oculus jobs. They're advertised on the Facebook Careers portal too.

9 roles, all tech based. Doesn't actually state where the office is, either but surely it's the Capitol?

Although, if its just 9 roles, maybe its somewhere smaller? Or, it's the start of a more extravagant hiring process.

Oculus bought InfiniLED, a Tyndall VR spin-out last year, so it's all in connection with that.

Rummers in the tech world here in cork it's 200 jobs in the long run that's going to be in cork for Oculus eg Facebook end of the day Oculus is Facebook.

There going to be I say 95% tech jobs 9 roles I say for now and then going to hire more and more as company's never hire the 200 right away as it's problem waiting to happen there.

Advertisement