Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

ongarboy wrote: »
    Do you know which shop will front onto Patrick Street and which one will front onto Grand Parade?

Which ever one has the soft furnishings we can all look forward to the double parking "for just 2 minutes" as people load up their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bizz213

DylanGLC wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply :) Is that confirmed or is this still a rumour? I wonder what store will replace Lifestyle on Patrick's Street

As far as i know its Confirmed. Dunno which is where though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

According to one of the builders Forever 21 is also going in but they may be spoofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I remember reading all these posts about Forever21 opening in Dublin and it being brilliant. I was really disappointed with it when I got their.(I'm a guy)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Forever 21 isn't doing very well in Europe at the moment so I'd be surprised if they opened a shop in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

IPUT to offload three Cork city centre properties, Irish Examiner
    Likely to be confirmed shortly as new traders across Patrick Street at the Capitol complex, close to practical completion by developers JCD and likely to be offered subsequently as an investment, are Lifestyle Sport and TK Maxx’s Homesense division, but agents Savils and JCD have resolutely declined to confirm the full retai/office line up.

Terms on the second retailer there are expected to be confirmed very shortly, and most of the overhead office space to be known as 14-23 Grand Parade also is committed, with one floor of offices left to negotiate.

Still hoping a third retail tenant gets in there. I also wonder when the office space will be occupied (as soon as the building is ready to open, before, after?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Just a heads up guys the other office in the capitol with Facebook is going to be a company called alienvault who are moving there offices from the Wellington Rd over to the capitol and are hiring quite a lot of people in IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just a heads up guys the other office in the capitol with Facebook is going to be a company called alienvault who are moving there offices from the Wellington Rd over to the capitol and are hiring quite a lot of people in IT.

Cool! More cyber-sec jobs in Cork :D

I don't see these jobs you are on about though... I see 4 sales type jobs but that's it. Is the hiring frenzy over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Bacchus wrote: »
    Cool! More cyber-sec jobs in Cork :D

I don't see these jobs you are on about though... I see 4 sales type jobs but that's it. Is the hiring frenzy over?

There not live yet but there is going to be loads of tech support roles going live very very soon ;).

The boards around the ground level have been removed

https://twitter.com/chickfoods/status/840165810882633728

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Passed by it on Saturday. Its still not doing anything for me design wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

Scaffolding gone up around the old hilsers don't know if it's related to the capitol or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I presume they will replace the two trees and two lamps they removed in the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I presume they will replace the two trees and two lamps they removed in the process?

I'd have no problem if they removed the entire lot of those lamps instead, absolutely rotten things.

I'd have no problem if they removed the entire lot of those lamps instead, absolutely rotten things.

Do you mean those lights which are meant to represent ship masts or whatever? If so, I agree,I used to think they didn't look too bad but now they look incredibly cheap and gimmicky, and as well they make the place seem cluttered from a distance, especially towards Merchant's Quay on Patrick's Street.

Has anyone heard anything new on this? Possible opening date/third retail tenant (if they even get a third)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Do you mean those lights which are meant to represent ship masts or whatever? If so, I agree,I used to think they didn't look too bad but now they look incredibly cheap and gimmicky, and as well they make the place seem cluttered from a distance, especially towards Merchant's Quay on Patrick's Street.

Has anyone heard anything new on this? Possible opening date/third retail tenant (if they even get a third)?

They're keeping things very quiet on the opening date, aren't they? I mean, not even a "details coming soon" or anything.

I passed by that lane that connects you to the English Market recently and you can see right through the building. Looks like a shell inside ATM. Not, I'm sure these bits can be rectified very quickly and the fit out wouldn't take long, but it looked more like months than weeks to me.

On the tenancy, is there space for a third tenant? It is a surprisingly small floor space when you walk past it. I think the plans (which haven't been amended on JCD's or the Capitol's site) initially allowed for three floors of retail, food and then two office.

The food was canned and the office was expanded onto three floors some time ago - Facebook/Oculus, Huawei and Alienware have those.

If it's two floors left, it would make sense that Lifestyle and Homesense would each have a presence on both. Not sure how that would leave the rest of the centre - can't really know unless Lifestyle or anyone reveals how much space they have taken - but I wouldn't necessarily expect anything else in there.

Any word on the Oyster Tavern? It's being re-done as part of it - I presume it'll be added to Benny's empire or will they bring in someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I saw an ad in one of the jobs websites for a store manager for a new Superdrug store opening in Cork ( UK chemist chain). I wonder if they would be the 3rd tenant if there actually will be a 3rd retail occupant?

They're keeping things very quiet on the opening date, aren't they? I mean, not even a "details coming soon" or anything.

I passed by that lane that connects you to the English Market recently and you can see right through the building. Looks like a shell inside ATM. Not, I'm sure these bits can be rectified very quickly and the fit out wouldn't take long, but it looked more like months than weeks to me.

On the tenancy, is there space for a third tenant? It is a surprisingly small floor space when you walk past it. I think the plans (which haven't been amended on JCD's or the Capitol's site) initially allowed for three floors of retail, food and then two office.

The food was canned and the office was expanded onto three floors some time ago - Facebook/Oculus, Huawei and Alienware have those.

If it's two floors left, it would make sense that Lifestyle and Homesense would each have a presence on both. Not sure how that would leave the rest of the centre - can't really know unless Lifestyle or anyone reveals how much space they have taken - but I wouldn't necessarily expect anything else in there.

Any word on the Oyster Tavern? It's being re-done as part of it - I presume it'll be added to Benny's empire or will they bring in someone else?
    Oh! I didn't realise Huawei was going in there too, I thought it was just Facebook/Oculus and Alienware. That makes sense now, a floor each for them and then two retail below. I hope that Lifestyle get the bottom floor as I imagine it would be easier than Homesense, and so look better from outside. I was hoping for a Hollister or Forever 21 but I'm pretty happy with all of those (although I will probanly never end up shopping in either of them)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭swampgas

Oh! I didn't realise Huawei was going in there too, I thought it was just Facebook/Oculus and Alienware. That makes sense now, a floor each for them and then two retail below. I hope that Lifestyle get the bottom floor as I imagine it would be easier than Homesense, and so look better from outside. I was hoping for a Hollister or Forever 21 but I'm pretty happy with all of those (although I will probanly never end up shopping in either of them)
    Actually it's AlienVault, not Alienware, as far as I know. Similar name but that's it.

swampgas wrote: »
    Actually it's AlienVault, not Alienware, as far as I know. Similar name but that's it.
    Whoops, thanks for the correction! Hoping it opens earliest Easter/latest exam time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Saw it was lit up last night, green stip lighting along the top. Certainly stood out when I was cycling towards it on Washington St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

I see SuperDrug are moving in to Cork

https://ie.linkedin.com/jobs/view/293041869

Is this part of the new development?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Hope it will bring some life to the City Centre. What about Merchant's Quay centre at the other end, though. Probably time for a bit of regeneration there now too.

The shopping centre on merchants quay is being redone not sure on the status of the planning at the moment.

Does anyone know what the scaffolding at the English Market entrance beside The Capitol is for? Can be seen in the first picture here

https://twitter.com/ken_matson/status/842421308268941312

I asked that too could be linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Does anyone know what the scaffolding at the English Market entrance beside The Capitol is for? Can be seen in the first picture here

https://twitter.com/ken_matson/status/842421308268941312

Just painting it up. It would look fairly poor beside the shiny Capitol if they didn't.

BrianJD wrote: »
    Just painting it up. It would look fairly poor beside the shiny Capitol if they didn't.

That's good! I like how a lot of buildings are getting new coats of paint in the city recently, such as Leisure Plex. There are a number of buildings in the city which don't look bad, however because of general dirt on them (such as the building at the corner of Grand Parade, by the pedestrian crossing) they look in poor condition, bringing down the surrounding area.

I see John cleary is moving quickly seeking planning for a new office development on south mall.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    I see John cleary is moving quickly seeking planning for a new office development on south mall.

Where on South Mall? Do you have a link to an article or anything on it? :)

Advertisement