Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Smaugstein

True, It would really fit in alongside Brown Thomas, Superdry, Tommy Hilfiger, Gap, Jack and Jones, Next, Zara, Debenhams, M&S, H&M and the others...

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here Uberbeamerman :confused:

Is it.

A. We have enough clothes shops in Cork.
    B. HOF would't blend with the other retailers you've mentioned above.
    C. Other.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Have they voted in pay parking extending to 20.30 in the evening?

If that is so, it's a great way of killing off evening time city shopping..not to mention putting the kybosh on evening classes, courses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If that is so, it's a great way of killing off evening time city shopping..not to mention putting the kybosh on evening classes, courses etc.
    Ah what!

That should only come in imo - if there's parking meters installed that offer a day rate or more than two hours parking & the bus service improves immeasurably - neither of which will happen.

D'Agger wrote: »
    Ah what!

That should only come in imo - if there's parking meters installed that offer a day rate or more than two hours parking & the bus service improves immeasurably - neither of which will happen.

I did hear a response that a council city car park would be free to use, but how is everyone that drives a car into the city in eveningtime for meals/cinema/shopping/courses/whatever supposed to all fit in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I did hear a response that a council city car park would be free to use, but how is everyone that drives a car into the city in eveningtime for meals/cinema/shopping/courses/whatever supposed to all fit in there?

Maybe they are pushing the cork Drive4Zero thing hard. The freebie parking for electric vehicles around the city will be even more of an incentive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Smaugstein

pwurple wrote: »
    Maybe they are pushing the cork Drive4Zero thing hard. The freebie parking for electric vehicles around the city will be even more of an incentive.

Handy for the 7 people that have E cars.:D

Smaugstein wrote: »
    Handy for the 7 people that have E cars.:D

Mwahahaha. Exactly. Me! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

My spies tell me that the tenants for this development are due to be announced very shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

My spies tell me that the tenants for this development are due to be announced very shortly!

Yup, Mannix & Culhane apparently are taking half, and Mr Price the rest.

As you'd expect.

• Advertisement

Mwahahaha. Exactly. Me! :cool:

Had a feeling you were the owner of the Nissan Leaf I always see charging on South Mall

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Shame the Food Court was cancelled, if they ever had intention of having it there that is. I don't expect to be surprised with the type of tenants there, if past and recent openings in the city are anything to go by.

Should get a petition going to get The Early Learning Centre in there, the youth of today have no idea what they missed out on

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Henry94

And the early bird trade for restaurants.

Henry94 wrote: »

http://www.corkindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2016/09/29/4127438-city-centre-traffic-plan-sees-major-changes-for-pana/

"• Extension of the pay parking regime which will see parking payable until 8.30pm."

I don't know why business owners aren't kicking up stink about this??

Henry94 wrote: »
    http://www.corkindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2016/09/29/4127438-city-centre-traffic-plan-sees-major-changes-for-pana/

"• Extension of the pay parking regime which will see parking payable until 8.30pm."

I don't know why business owners aren't kicking up stink about this??

"Parking period will be reduced from two hours to one hour"

Ridiculous measures IMO

Augeo wrote: »

Ridiculous measures IMO

What the actual fúck!!

Cork is so sprawled that you'd get one thing done in an hour before you'd have to head back to the car. Nonsensical

They'll get more cash in for less parking, less cars, less people, few businesses might close..... many more will have reduced turnover.

Silly, silly, silly.

Car parks might well increase their prices too if the 2 hour parking disc zones are no more.

Had a feeling you were the owner of the Nissan Leaf I always see charging on South Mall

I'm usually over in the city hall... but I know that person. ;)

Ridiculous measures IMO

It might lessen the people crawling the streets waiting for a space though? That just winds me up like mad.. the whole place locked up while one guy waits for someone to put bags in their car and strap in kids and slowly slowly edge into the road, and then mr parallel parker takes 4 bites of it, and meanwhile you're gone grey from waiting for them to get the fook out of the way!

There are multi stories where you can park as long as you like... park and ride if you are going in for the day / afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

But aren't those measures only for Patrick's street and the middle parish, from reading the article it looks like the rest of the city is unaffected.

It might lessen the people crawling the streets waiting for a space though? ............

There are multi stories where you can park as long as you like... park and ride if you are going in for the day / afternoon.

I'm speaking in terms of the to 8.30pm extension.
    That coupled with no 2 hour disc zone is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Absolutely crazy - if anything they should be increasing the non-disc parking times

I'm speaking in terms of the to 8.30pm extension.
    That coupled with no 2 hour disc zone is a joke.

Oh yes I get you. That is daftness alright.

And around christmas they don't increase the public transport to compensate for the extra demand either. I got the bus in I think on the 23rd last year, because I knew the carparks would be full (which they were, with queues).

Could not get a bus home. They just all randomly stopped running.... Every bus I saw in the city was empty with 'Out of service' on the front.

I waited nearly an hour at the busstop, and none showed up (6-7pm) for a service that is supposed to be every 10 minutes. So I was stuck in town, with two kids in a buggy. Had to get a taxi in the end, sitting a baby on my lap because no car seat.

Gave up on Corks bus service some time ago. It's a difficult thing to get right - particularly with Cork being full of narrow streets & easily congested but it's worth pointing out that Citygate just put in a new lane - that should be a bus lane - the two places the bus stops going the opposite way from Citygate - outside the Maxol and SuperValu on Skehard Rd. - bus stops there, no cars can pass until the bus moves again - this causes backlogs all the way back along the road - a bus lane is required, yet it won't be had.

I'm gone OT here because I know this is about the Capitol but this charging of parking up to half 8 at night with a one hour parking will have an impact on business around the city of that I've no doubt. If you're going to implement stringent measures like this, on people who pop into town for a few hours, not just one hour, or the full day - then you had best improve your public transport infrastructure and currently Cork is so far off the mark it's laughable.

Will somebody please confirm that this is at least a temporary measure for the festive period that will be monitored from a congestion POV before being fully implemented or are the Council just wading in blind on this?

Will somebody please confirm that this is at least a temporary measure for the festive period that will be monitored from a congestion POV before being fully implemented or are the Council just wading in blind on this?

LOL, what do you think?

LOL, what do you think?

Never give up on your dreams pwurple :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

Looks like development has started on the buildings next to golden discs on Patrick street hoarding going up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

ofcork wrote: »
    Looks like development has started on the buildings next to golden discs on Patrick street hoarding going up.

Any idea of whats going in there ?. As with the 3 buildings made into one its a fine big unit.

There is going to be a lot of work been done on Patrick st over the next year or two by the looks of it as the Savey is going to be done soon as well :O.

• Advertisement

Any idea of whats going in there ?. As with the 3 buildings made into one its a fine big unit.

There is going to be a lot of work been done on Patrick st over the next year or two by the looks of it as the Savey is going to be done soon as well :O.
    The name escapes me but it's like a mix of Tiger and Ikea - home furnishings store, one of my friends mentioned it a while ago but a quick google didn't yield much for me there

Advertisement