Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Fabio

Sostrene Grene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

ofcork wrote: »
    Looks like development has started on the buildings next to golden discs on Patrick street hoarding going up.

That's good to hear. A nice development there I think.

Fabio wrote: »
    Sostrene Grene?

No, that's going into the former Mothercare. Opening in a matter of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

D'Agger wrote: »
    The name escapes me but it's like a mix of Tiger and Ikea - home furnishings store, one of my friends mentioned it a while ago but a quick google didn't yield much for me there

I tought that is whats going into the old mother care store ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

D'Agger wrote: »
    The name escapes me but it's like a mix of Tiger and Ikea - home furnishings store, one of my friends mentioned it a while ago but a quick google didn't yield much for me there

Habitat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Habitat?

I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Sostrene Grene going in to old mothercare unit

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bleakforest

Heard there's two English chainstores going in there not here yet and mist importantly of all a Costas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ah I knew it was that area by Golden Discs but didn't know it was Mothercare - didn't know there was additional stores going in on Patrick St.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/cork-set-for-multi-million-euro-retail-rebuild-395398.html

More information on the development of the old Body Shop/Gloria Jeans development. No mention of tennants, however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Was away for the last few weekend so took a walk past it this afternoon.

300h205.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

opus wrote: »
    Was away for the last few weekend so took a walk past it this afternoon.

300h205.jpg

Patrick Street side looks great, shopping centre going up down a bit across the road from it as well, anybody knows whats going in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

No tenants for the new development yet tower crane taken down now from capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

why leave the crane up when their work is done , they can cost up to 5k a week to have on site if hired ,but as far as i read bam own their fleet of cranes

Crane was working up until it was taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shafty100

obviously ,but they work to a schedule so occasionaly it can go beyond the date , they will just hire in mobiles when needed for any heavy lifting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ofcork wrote: »
    No tenants for the new development yet tower crane taken down now from capital.

Just because tenant names haven't been released to the public doesn't mean there are no tenants committed in principle. Normally, names will not be released until all legals have been cleared and signed off. A retailer will not announce until all demands, terms and conditions regarding rent etc are agreed and developer/landlord will be bound by confidentiality until that time. From recent media articles, tenants have committed but it's the final sign off that is still pending. I'd say it will be new year at this stage before the names have been announced but my money is on JD Sports or Sports Direct being one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

JD sports are knocking down the wall into
    a-wear and joining the two buildings so they won't be one.

I meant tenants for the new development on Patrick street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

calnand wrote: »
    JD sports are knocking down the wall into
    a-wear and joining the two buildings so they won't be one.
    Great,more sports shops,so much for Zara. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Savills Ireland Retail Report for 2017 includes a throwaway line about the Capitol development being 'fully let'. They'd be the ones behind the dealings I'd imagine.

All the solid rumours suggest sports outlet - there can't be any left that don't already have a prime spot in Cork, though, is there?

The report is almost completely Dublin-centric and that's the only Cork line, save for a mention of H&M's expansion and the arrival of Carluccio's into the Moderne at some point next year too.

But if anyone is interested : http://pdf.euro.savills.co.uk/ireland-research/marketinminutes-retail-q4-2016-final.pdf

Didn't realise that JD Sports were taking A-Wear - makes sense I guess. Their spot in the Savoy could use a bit of re-arranging, so mixing the two should give them a great space.

From what I heard re: Zara is that Intedex have been on the hunt for a prime spot in Cork city for about 2 years now but haven't found anything that suits them. Can't imagine what they could be looking for that wouldn't have been covered by one of the Capitol, Mothercare, A-Wear or the Moderne, so perhaps they just aren't that keen on a city outlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Savills Ireland Retail Report for 2017 includes a throwaway line about the Capitol development being 'fully let'. They'd be the ones behind the dealings I'd imagine.

All the solid rumours suggest sports outlet - there can't be any left that don't already have a prime spot in Cork, though, is there?

The report is almost completely Dublin-centric and that's the only Cork line, save for a mention of H&M's expansion and the arrival of Carluccio's into the Moderne at some point next year too.

But if anyone is interested : http://pdf.euro.savills.co.uk/ireland-research/marketinminutes-retail-q4-2016-final.pdf

Didn't realise that JD Sports were taking A-Wear - makes sense I guess. Their spot in the Savoy could use a bit of re-arranging, so mixing the two should give them a great space.

From what I heard re: Zara is that Intedex have been on the hunt for a prime spot in Cork city for about 2 years now but haven't found anything that suits them. Can't imagine what they could be looking for that wouldn't have been covered by one of the Capitol, Mothercare, A-Wear or the Moderne, so perhaps they just aren't that keen on a city outlet?

It'd be disappointing if the new retail unit was another large sports retailer; that is far away from being 'game-changing' in terms of the city centre. Apparently, Inditex are not interested in the Capitol as it is considered to be too remote from prime footfall cluster around BT/penneys. Mothercare, A Wear, Moderne are simply too small.

I suspect through that the office uses on upper floors will make this scheme commercially very attractive, and should also help lure branded quality retailers to that location. It will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

How it looks another month along.

24yu3o3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Great,more sports shops,so much for Zara. :(

Gotta keep the jokingly called 'working class' in the style they are accustomed to...

Nice to see the clock taking shape. I hear it's being made by Stokes of Cork. So, nice to see a local touch here.

They are not using the old clock, (no pun intended) for old time's sake?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hopefully they won't do the typical Irish thing, installing a public clock in a building and then not bothering to adjust it for summer/winter time or fixing it when it breaks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

24yu3o3.jpg

Great progress! Is that 3rd storey made up of one or two floors? The windows suggest two different floors but it could just be a double height floor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

A before and after picture will look interesting. (no idea how to join 2 photos as one)

Advertisement