Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

DylanGLC wrote: »
    Where on South Mall? Do you have a link to an article or anything on it? :)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/450-new-jobs-announced-for-cork-782901.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

Oyster supposed to be reopening in june a Dublin guy who also has a bar in limerick will be running it,the capitol itself is not a very attractive building though and no higher end retail either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

[url=Stores in The Capitol confirmed; Oyster Tavern to reopen
    ]http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/stores-in-the-capitol-confirmed-oyster-tavern-to-reopen-446159.html[/url]
    2ajtdtj.jpg

Ground Floor - Lifestyle Sports
    First Floor - Lifestyle Sports & Homesense
    Second Floor - Huawei & AlienVault
    Third Floor - Empty office space
    Fourth Floor - Facebook

I love The Capitol logo on the Patrick's Street's side! I love the look of the building, too (on both sides). In my opinion it looks 'old' and fits in, but also seems modern and not dated. A very needed rejuvenation on Grand Parade and at the lower end of Patrick's Street :D I wonder what shop will move into the Lifestyle Sports store further down the street

An 'actual' look at the building
    https://twitter.com/AlanHealy/status/845570070361391104

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

What a massive let down,another sports shop as if we don't have enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I haven't seen the plans, any idea of the area allocated to each anchor tenant? I can't imagine lifestyle sports taking up as much room as 3 cinema auditoriums, there must be a load of space left over for slightly smaller tenants.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    I haven't seen the plans, any idea of the area allocated to each anchor tenant? I can't imagine lifestyle sports taking up as much room as 3 cinema auditoriums, there must be a load of space left over for slightly smaller tenants.

According to the article, Lifestyle have 1,950 sq m (their largest store in Ireland) and Homesense have 1,860sq m. That's 41010.5 sq ft, and according to the website the two retail floors are 43743 sq ft. The article says the retail side of the build is 100% occupied, though.

Facebook are taking the entire top floor, which according to the site is 14,058 sq ft. Huawei will be taking 5995.498 sq ft two floors below, which means (basing off the website) that AlienVault will be getting 15306.5102 sq ft (this will be their new European headquarters).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always got the impression it was only going to be two large tenants. Lifestyle will have a flagship store and could be one of the biggest in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

Will be another empty unit on Patrick st when lifestyle close to move to the capitol.

Jeez I was living in false hope so. The thought of over 20,000 square feet in a prime retail location devoted to sportswear upsets me a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

It should make a big difference to the centre having an entrance from Patrick Street. Looking forward to seeing Homesense. Is it allied to TKMaxx?

• Advertisement

parkerpen wrote: »
    It should make a big difference to the centre having an entrance from Patrick Street. Looking forward to seeing Homesense. Is it allied to TKMaxx?

To the best of my knowledge Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Lifestyle Sports....so not a 'gamechanger'.
    It's a good looking building. Deserves better.
    If it's any indication of demand for retail in Cork City Centre, it's a bad state of affairs.

I was always unsure of these units. I thought they'd have being two big for Zara. (Well especially a Cork Zara.
    I couldn't see John Lewis, Harvey Nicholas, House of Fraser. Well I think they'd be caught for space unless they took bought units and I'd question their interest in Ireland.
    Forever 21 aren't doing great in Europe and Hollister wouldn't be looking for a masive unit either.

Now that Lifestyle is leaving their small store further down Patrick's Street, one may move into that

Now that Lifestyle is leaving their small store further down Patrick's Street, one may move into that
    Hopefully!!

Another sports store probably :D

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Another sports store probably :D
    Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Tracksuits are big business 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Tracksuits are big business 😀

You're not wrong there.

Homesense is opening on June the 15th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Was in town on Saturday, it looks like it's pretty close to being finished. Looks really well, I must say.

overmantle wrote: »
    Was in town on Saturday, it looks like it's pretty close to being finished. Looks really well, I must say.
    Homesense branding is up on the right hand side and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Homesense branding is up on the right hand side and all

Which looks horrific by the way . All signage on that front should be made work into the same colour scheme and style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

If Lifestyle are planning their biggest store i the country, I'd hope that they'll have a significant section devoted to Munster Rugby since they have exclusive rights to sell all the Munster gear. The Patrick St store isn't a patch on what the old Munster shop used to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Lifestyle Sports for sportsware and TKMaks Homesense for Homeware .. and thats it in a prime retail spot centre city?

Wasnt it menat to be a food hall, more stores, cafes .. proper shopping mall? All linked into the English Market?

Ah well ..

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Foodhall was just a BS publicity job I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

okedoke wrote: »
    Foodhall was just a BS publicity job I'd say

Wasn't it in the original plans but the people from the market got pissed and complained it would take business away and if joined to the market would require stricter h and s application from them?

Wasn't it in the original plans but the people from the market got pissed and complained it would take business away and if joined to the market would require stricter h and s application from them?
    I heard something similar to this,not sure how true it was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Gamb!t wrote: »
    I heard something similar to this,not sure how true it was though.

I know there was a guy on with prenders about it when it was first announced saying they hadn't spoken to anyone in the market about it (all very weee offended type) but I don't know how true it is about the h and s stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Official line is that it was pulled after extensive market testing which showed that it wouldn't be profitable. Nothing to do with the market or health & safety (what does that even mean here?)

Sounds pretty likely to me - people wax lyrical about our food produce all the time, but you'd want to be selling huge amounts of it to take up that much space in a prime development and for it to be profitable to the owners.

The planning conditions attached were strict enough that it couldn't be a food court with fast food/takeaways so all they were left with was food demos and artisan stuff - much harder to make a profit on that I'd imagine.

It was pulled last summer iirc anyway and was met with huge disappointment by everyone from Simon Coveney to the city mgmt but profit ruled in this situation. Can't really argue with it, I guess.

I would have much preferred to see it 'cos the end result is a let down, to say the least.

Advertisement