Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The façade is up on the Patrick Street side now - looks sleek, nice curves :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Planning notice gone up to remove the food element of this. The Food Innovation Centre was used to drum up a lot of publicity and good press for this development. It seems now it won't be part of the finished project.
    I don't think it's much of a loss but perhaps a PR fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Planning notice gone up to remove the food element of this. The Food Innovation Centre was used to drum up a lot of publicity and good press for this development. It seems now it won't be part of the finished project.

Wow that's a shame if true. That was the main thing I thought would set this apart from other projects. It'll still be a reasonably decent place I'm sure but that's a loss imo. Not sure what must have happened, it was a pretty big part of the PR and announcing of this whole setup in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

leahyl wrote: »
    The façade is up on the Patrick Street side now - looks sleek, nice curves :pac:

Here's a pic from Patrick St of that side.

349dqmf.jpg

As well look likes the top of the building is going to very visible from Patrick St as well.

e6twjn.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I heard that too, what are they changing the use to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

A real shame. Always thought the Capitol Cinema was a much sleeker, modern looking building.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mr Coveney was cheerleading for this when he was the Minister for Agriculture. Another PR fail for the Minister. The food element of this was looking to be really good. Now with change of use to retail, this development will just be another building full of clothes shops. How exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Mr Coveney was cheerleading for this when he was the Minister for Agriculture. Another PR fail for the Minister. The food element of this was looking to be really good. Now with change of use to retail, this development will just be another building full of clothes shops. How exciting.

Yeah it's a shame. A food related space would have complemented the market quite well. One problem with the English market is that it is too small. Another problem is that there is nowhere close by to sit and eat. The food element add part of the Capitol scheme would have been great. It just needs some creative thinking. My guess is that the property advisers just didn't know what to do about it. ..Cork based property advisors aren't known for their creativity or innovative thinking though. They know how to sell shops and offices. A project like this would need some sense of vision and innovative development thinking. Cork doesn't do this much I'm afraid.

In saying that, it's a good sign that there is so much demand for retail and office space in the city centre.

A real shame. Always thought the Capitol Cinema was a much sleeker, modern looking building.

No. No, it wasn't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Any truth that traders in the English market objected about the Food Innovation Centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Any truth that traders in the English market objected about the Food Innovation Centre?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yes

More fool them then. The English Market is great but it's busting at the seems and aside from Farmgate upstairs (which is heaving at peak times) there's nowhere to sit and eat. The extension with the new center would have broadened the appeal of the building(s) as a food hot spot. The English Market would have gained from this and would still have it's historic pride of place to hold over the new adjoining section.

I could understand them wanting to have some say over the size and what type of stalls would be going in (e.g. no need for another fishmongers) but to shut the idea down completely is really disappointing. As another poster pointed out above, now it's simply just another dull retail center full of the usual clothes outlets. There's a few empty shopfronts on St. Patricks street that could have been filled instead.

Still happy of course to see the redevelopment... just reeling a bit from the cancellation of the food court.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

As sleek as a bomb shelter. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Perhaps the food court option may not have been feasible with the amount of eateries around Cork city that have sprung up lately? Most of the time, the only businesses that can afford shopping centre rates and survive are Starbucks, MacDonalds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

As sleek as a bomb shelter. Good riddance.

Only joking. I would have loved to have taken a sledge to the place myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Starting to look more like a building than just a frame.

kdtmci.jpg

opus wrote: »
    Great to see the Grand Parde side going up. Decision due on changes (including loss of foodie element) shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Took a walk along patricks st at the weekend. Like the look so far...at least its not just a glass block.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Doesn't look like it'll be ready to open by January/February though. More like early Summer '17 I'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Took a walk along patricks st at the weekend. Like the look so far...at least its not just a glass block.

Spent weekend in Denmark, surprisingly little of the glass fishtank school of architecture evident in their new builds.

• Advertisement

The developers just got planning approved to change one of the retail floors to offices.
    The application to change the food court to retail due to be decided in a few weeks.

Any news on tenants?

The developers have been approved for permission to omit the Food Hall element and replace with further retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Fabio

No news on what retailers though no? I've heard nothing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Fabio wrote: »
    No news on what retailers though no? I've heard nothing...

House of Fraser was the rumour I heard.

pwurple wrote: »
    House of Fraser was the rumour I heard.

Serious?

Unless it's a tiny HOF can't see Cork keeping one going.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bleakforest

opus wrote: »

kdtmci.jpg

Are they Lego blocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 bleakforest

Are they Lego blocks?

Look at the elegant "English" architecture next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Smaugstein

Augeo wrote: »
    Serious?

Unless it's a tiny HOF can't see Cork keeping one going.

I think a HOF would be a great addition , Cork could do with some decent clothes retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Smaugstein wrote: »
    I think a HOF would be a great addition , Cork could do with some decent clothes retailers.

True, It would really fit in alongside Brown Thomas, Superdry, Tommy Hilfiger, Gap, Jack and Jones, Next, Zara, Debenhams, M&S, H&M and the others...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

True, It would really fit in alongside Brown Thomas, Superdry, Tommy Hilfiger, Gap, Jack and Jones, Next, Zara, Debenhams, M&S, H&M and the others...

Im not sure if thats tongue in cheek but I would love to see a HOF in Cork to shake up the market a bit. I like splashing out on a bit of designer gear every now and again so it would be nice to have a major retailer offering that besides Brown Thomas and Saville. Superdry is for 14 year olds going to City Hall discos and the others you mentioned, while theres nothing wrong with them, are not really in the same bracket as HOF.

Advertisement