Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Most proper tower cranes I saw at one time in cork city was 23 around 2002 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Cranes back in the city.

Boom is back lads

For some....not all.

Still a lot of empty buildings and derelict sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Speaking of empty buildings carphone warehouse are gone from the building down from blacktie alot of empty units there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

On another positive note for the city centre.... hope to have the hotel open in 2018

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2016/0506/786698-dalata-cork-hotel/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

ofcork wrote: »
    Speaking of empty buildings carphone warehouse are gone from the building down from blacktie alot of empty units there now.

That the one across from Merchants Quay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

It's the one that faces onto South Mall and Beasly Street.

http://www.jla.ie/commercial/beasley.html

Thats right they have another branch next to golden discs alright.

On another note dunnes are closing in north main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Could never understand how Dunnes operated that store. Bleak wasn't the word for the place. Empty shelves and a drapery department that looked like it had been set up by toddlers. It had a look of a store that was on a perpetual going out of business sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I walk past there nearly every day and if I wonted to go dunnes I just go to the one of patricks st just never went I won't to go here.

But I say someone like aldi might try and go for it as it's a city center store for a super market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Could never understand how Dunnes operated that store. Bleak wasn't the word for the place. Empty shelves and a drapery department that looked like it had been set up by toddlers. It had a look of a store that was on a perpetual going out of business sale.

I just loathe Dunnes approach to food shopping. Eerah, just stick some shelving two feet from that rack of jogging pants and we're done." Their aisles are the narrowest ever as well. Compare that to M&S which is also a small food section in a clothing store and yet you could drive a bus down the food aisles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

This place was awful for the last few years. When I worked around there, I would deliberately walk further to Tesco or Dunnes Patrick Street rather than have to go in there. It was classic Dunnes attitude of the bare minimum will do. I can see Merchant's Quay going exactly the same way. In fairness, their Patrick Street store is excellent.
    It's not necessarily a bad thing that it closes. Makes some room, hopefully for traders who are willing to make an effort.
    I can see Dunnes blocking competitors out of there though. Not sure what the legal issues are (if any).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I imagine the only reason Dunnes stayed there so long was to stop the likes of Aldi moving in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I imagine the only reason Dunnes stayed there so long was to stop the likes of Aldi moving in.

Similar to that old place out in Bishopstown... By the old Viscount bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

kcb wrote: »
    Similar to that old place out in Bishopstown... By the old Viscount bar.

Wasn't Dunnes looking for planning to redevelop that site, with a Dunnes Express, cinema, other shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,216 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Didn't get any pictures but looks like a fire escape route is already in place, goes 2/3 stories high. It's kind of at back of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Okalina64

You know when you're on the Patrick Street side of the construction area (near GameStop), there's a small pathway leading into the construction zone. Are the general public allowed to use that pathway, to see how the construction's getting on, or is it only for the builders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Okalina64 wrote: »
    You know when you're on the Patrick Street side of the construction area (near GameStop), there's a small pathway leading into the construction zone. Are the general public allowed to use that pathway, to see how the construction's getting on, or is it only for the builders?

Yeah you can use that one (if its the one im thinking about!!) it just leads down to the English market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Mushy wrote: »
    Didn't get any pictures but looks like a fire escape route is already in place, goes 2/3 stories high. It's kind of at back of the site.

Correct, lift shafts and stairs, the big lego bits that are pre assembled and embraced together on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

Pictures from Patrick street and Grand parade side this morning:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

pogsick wrote: »
    Pictures from Patrick street and Grand parade side this morning:

Walk by this every morning on the way to work is it just me or would i be wrong it could be up by x mess ?.

As once the steal is in place it flys with the building

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Walk by this every morning on the way to work is it just me or would i be wrong it could be up by x mess ?.

As once the steal is in place it flys with the building

The timeline was that it would be pretty much ready for Christmas... not sure exactly what that means though... maybe the structure and facade will be complete but no open shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Okalina64

Bacchus wrote: »
    The timeline was that it would be pretty much ready for Christmas... not sure exactly what that means though... maybe the structure and facade will be complete but no open shops?

If the shops and stuff are opened around Christmas Time, you just know that the city council will find some way to make it into the centrepiece for the annual turning-on-the-Christmas-lights event.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 daveytheravey

I'm so surprised at how fast this is going up! It just shows when private investors are doing the work or anything to do with the government or the council (This infamous events centre) nobody seems to care about! Pity but they will both be great additions to the city centre. We have a lot to thank John Cleary developments for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I'm so surprised at how fast this is going up! It just shows when private investors are doing the work or anything to do with the government or the council (This infamous events centre) nobody seems to care about! Pity but they will both be great additions to the city centre. We have a lot to thank John Cleary developments for!
    Relax, this is the easy bit, the internal fit out will take longest.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

roundymac wrote: »
    Relax, this is the easy bit, the internal fit out will take longest.

Exactly. They're still fitting out One Albert Quay, about two months after they were supposed to be finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

It's flying up, seems to be more if there everytime I walk past!

kyikw.jpg

Two and a half weeks of progress.

2zin3m1.jpg

Three more weeks of progress...

wugtxc.jpg

• Advertisement

Only changes now look to be the floors starting to go in.

33tgxad.jpg

Advertisement