Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I know that Zara wouldn't go into the Blacktie building, footfall is pretty low up there, but they'll definitely be in somewhere!!! Would have thought a big city centre Zara shop would do massive trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

You also have the old a wear,quills buildings still empty too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Quills will probably attract someone soon.

The problem with some of the smaller stores is that they're really weird shapes that don't fit with modern retail. That's also a bit issue with MQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

pwurple wrote: »
    Classic meaning what? Faux tudor or something?

I like buildings to look of their time. Whatever time that is.

The 19th / 20th century had loads of 'Revival' styles, Gothic/Egyptian/Italianate even Tudor, not of their time either.

Pana was mostly rebuilt after the Tans burned it down and solid buildings like former Roches Stores etc were put up, pity they didn't burn down more of the now-crumbling edifices around the place...

At the moment from quills up to blacktie there are 5 empty units which will hopefully be filled as they dont give a good impression now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

ofcork wrote: »
    At the moment from quills up to blacktie there are 5 empty units which will hopefully be filled as they dont give a good impression now.

Weren't Quills and A-Wear bought by the crowd who own the Savoy SC.. So i imagine planning will be going in there.
    With the Savoy NightClub closed they are sitting on a lot of prime real-estate so would want to get things moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Top half of the building gone.

People calling it a crying shame on Facebook. Personally think it was one of the ugliest buildings in Cork. A red brick monstrosity. All of its redeeming features were destroyed in its late 80s rebuild.

I'd even say it was uglier than the old tax office. At least that's a key example of brutalist architecture.

Good riddance to it. People recalling their first shift and fumble in the dark etc.

I have to laugh at people who wanted a cinema to replace it, as if they'd ever go to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What is the deal with the savoy night club? Is it gone for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Thepikapi

This may just be a rumour, but I did hear something about a forever 21 and urban outfitters opening in the Capitol. They would be great additions, no need to trek up to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cork981

There making fine progress flattening the land.

I'm actually surprised how big of a space it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Cork981 wrote: »
    There making fine progress flattening the land.

I'm actually surprised how big of a space it is.

Is there much in the way of archaeological investigations planned here? Might be some interesting stuff down there?

Is there much in the way of archaeological investigations planned here? Might be some interesting stuff down there?

None afaik, the missing Viking Ship isn't there so that's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Before anyone bulldozes it, the old tax office is a contemporary art place called Sample Studios so it's getting used alright.

It's well worth a visit. 50 or so individual studios in there, and some exhibition space. We went to the Family Open day a few weeks ago and it was a lot of fun. We did everything from playing with digitally coloured sand pits, jelly printing, tapestry and using an old spinning wheel to make wool and had a look at some artist studios. The current exhibition is called Sincerely Colgate.

http://www.sample-studios.com/who-are-we.html

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

Capitol Cineplex in its former glory

http://static.flickr.com/9/69454307_1cbccfae6d.jpg

The final moments of the Capitol Cinema

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjgCVoed2ag

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Just now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Thepikapi wrote: »
    This may just be a rumour, but I did hear something about a forever 21 and urban outfitters opening in the Capitol. They would be great additions, no need to trek up to Dublin.

I was told that Zara had been interested in being the major anchor in the early stages of this development, not sure if that is still the case but it would make sense considering the success of Zara and its other chains in Ireland last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 justjackcork

I wanted to gather peoples opinions of the plan to develop offices/retail space/ artisan food centre/ renovation of Oyster Tavern in place of the old captiol cinema.

What are your feelings on the proposed design, plans etc.

Anything you can add I would really find it beneficial and interesting.

Links welcome

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

We have a big thread for it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056497512

Personally I'm okay with the redevelopment, it's very much needed. I have nice memories of the cinema from when I was a kid, but the building was in ruins.

I'm friends with one of the lads who is working there and he said the state of the building was awful, it would have been absolute hell to try and fix it up in any decent way and probably cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Threads merged - I think one thread is enough for discussing the capital cinema project

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Passed by earlier and they seem to be erecting the tower crane.

• Advertisement

The redevelopment of the buildings nest to golden discs in patrick st is going ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

ofcork wrote: »
    The redevelopment of the buildings nest to golden discs in patrick st is going ahead.

What buildings are they ?.

Jesus cork is getting rebuilt at the moment ha ha. Only build a a few 100 more apartments and we will grand ha ha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

What buildings are they ?.

Jesus cork is getting rebuilt at the moment ha ha. Only build a a few 100 more apartments and we will grand ha ha :P

Gloria Jeans and the buildings either side

The tower cranes are springing up again between the capitol and anglesea st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭thomil

I was out and about in town today when they assembled the crane, the boom reaches out pretty far over the street. I've attached some pictures I took of the assembly.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

PatrickStreetArtistImp27April16_large.jpg

Artist's impression

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

namloc1980 wrote: »
    PatrickStreetArtistImp27April16_large.jpg

Artist's impression

That looks lovely i wonder who could be going in there ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Someday I'm going to open a store called Signage and really confused a bunch of architects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Cranes back in the city.

Boom is back lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Cranes back in the city.

Boom is back lads

I don't know about that, once upon a time there were 16 of them up across the city but they were operated on different sites by different builders, all the ones now are either Bam on Grand Parade and Anglesea St with 2 from Sisk in Pairc Ui Chaoimh.
    Nice to see activity though

Advertisement