Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's actually less of an eyesore now.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's actually less of an eyesore now.

My thoughts exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It's so great to see some activity there. How long has that place been rotting?

pwurple wrote: »
    It's so great to see some activity there. How long has that place been rotting?

Jesus, I think the Capitol closed in the early 2000's? The shoe shop closed within the last two years.

We all have this image of the Capitol in our heads as this great and wonderful building that's an architectural delight, in reality it was just an ugly block with a ledge. It'll be good to see a fresh new building go up in it's place, even if I would prefer it if had a more "classic" front to it.

Classic meaning what? Faux tudor or something?

I like buildings to look of their time. Whatever time that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

The new building is heavily influenced by Art Deco. Will go well beside the building which houses Burger King which too has an Art Deco design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

apparently when they were knocking the cinema they disturbed a massive nest of rats. Don't fancy seeing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Wouldnt be surprised KC..must be a nightmare for the english market and bugerking with pest control.anything could have been living there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Wouldnt be surprised KC..must be a nightmare for the english market and bugerking with pest control.anything could have been living there

I hadn't thought of that.....oh Lord!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Now if they could get a move on on the other red brick monstrosity : Merchants Quay and that hideous old Tax office ...

• Advertisement

apparently when they were knocking the cinema they disturbed a massive nest of rats. Don't fancy seeing that!

Arg. Where did they all scurry off too I wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

12Phase wrote: »
    Now if they could get a move on on the other red brick monstrosity : Merchants Quay and that hideous old Tax office ...

I'd love to see Merchant's Quay gone/radically changed but please don't call for the destruction of the wonderful example of brutalist architecture that is the old tax office.
    Granted, it needs a face-lift but I really hope that the basic structure is preserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'd love to see Merchant's Quay gone/radically changed but please don't call for the destruction of the wonderful example of brutalist architecture that is the old tax office.
    Granted, it needs a face-lift but I really hope that the basic structure is preserved.

Inserts "Not sure if serious" jpeg. I wonder if I look back in this forum will I see people extolling the virtues of the (award winning) Togher flats and demanding that they be retained. :D

Hate brutalist architecture, historical significance aside I'd let the bulldozer at 90% of Le Corbusier's work.

The other one is the North Main St carpark. It actually looks like it's been semi demolished but it seems that's how it's meant to look. The view of it from Patrick's Bridge is really horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Inserts "Not sure if serious" jpeg. I wonder if I look back in this forum will I see people extolling the virtues of the (award winning) Togher flats and demanding that they be retained. :D

Hate brutalist architecture, historical significance aside I'd let the bulldozer at 90% of Le Corbusier's work.

The fas building is one if a very small number of modernist structures cork possesses. It is significant because of its rarity. I don't know how important it is though, in terms of protecting or retaining it. However, buildings shouldn't be retained or protected based on people's opinions of them; it is a matter of significance, architectural, historical, scientific, social etc.

btw, Le Corbusier's work does not belong to the Brutalist school of architecture.

There's something inherently lacking in humanity and technocratic about brutalist architecture. They were almost all government or similar buildings and are horribly lacking in something that you can relate to.

There are some good examples, but not many.

The problem with that tax / fas office is that it's completely out of place in what is mostly a Victorian / Georgian / Dutch style city. It doesn't really contrast properly either. I could understand if if it was trying to juxtapose modernity and the existing city but it just doesn't work. There's nothing striking about it.

County Hall on the other hand actually does have a bit of a statement making stature against the Lee flood plains which can't really be developed.
    It's certainly better than a CIT like sprawling campus which was the alternative.

I'm not a fan of that era of architecture at all. When it goes wrong it goes horribly wrong.

Boston City Hall for example just makes me feel ill!

Old tax office is salvageable as the structure is sound and can be used for open plan office space which the city is lacking.

Remove the windows and create a new external structure made of glass. Let the current external walls become internal walls with each level being linked around the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,350 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know it's off topic but does anybody here know if the redevelopment of Mecharnats Quay is going a head or on going?

I know it's off topic but does anybody here know if the redevelopment of Mecharnats Quay is going a head or on going?

The only thing I was aware of is some kind of minor tweaks to change the size of the internal units.

It really needs to fix the they've made along the quay by closing up all those shop fronts. By the looks of it they were meant to be open as they all have doors.. Wonder if closing them up is a breech of the original planning.

I've a feeling this new centre will wipe MQ out entirely. If it wasn't for M&S and the connection into Debbenhams I'm not sure anyone would go in there. It's hardly a "destination" anymore.

Opera Lane has also been a huge boost for Patrick's street by opening up more large retail space on street. It's a very city-friendly development.

I don't really know to be honest, something a bit more Victorian, Georgian, that kind of thing. Something to suit the rest of the buildings in the city.

Some of the buildings in the city are actually very nice, but have been let down by decades of poor work on the front, awful repair jobs and nasty signage.

Even London has managed to largely keep it's look after more than a century of rapid development and new buildings going up. Hell, even New York has managed to do quite a good job in many parts of it too.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I don't really know to be honest, something a bit more Victorian, Georgian, that kind of thing. Something to suit the rest of the buildings in the city.

Some of the buildings in the city are actually very nice, but have been let down by decades of poor work on the front, awful repair jobs and nasty signage.

Even London has managed to largely keep it's look after more than a century of rapid development and new buildings going up. Hell, even New York has managed to do quite a good job in many parts of it too.

As I said, numerous buildings in the city are Art Deco and so is this development.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

They've got planning approval granted to change the corner retail space on merchants quay on the patricks bridge side.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Saw this on Facebook today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Any rumors as to the shops that might be going in there? I've been told House of Fraiser a few times but thats only talk obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

CHealy wrote: »
    Any rumors as to the shops that might be going in there? I've been told House of Fraiser a few times but thats only talk obviously.
    We're crying out for a starbucks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Hopefully it wont be the usual UK fashion retail shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

they seem to be looking for a department store tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The Blacktie building on Patricks Bridge has been sold too. Zara will surely appear in one of these sites... or so says/hopes the gf!!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    The Blacktie building on Patricks Bridge has been sold too. Zara will surely appear in one of these sites... or so says/hopes the gf!!

I don't think the Blacktie building would be big enough for Zara would it? That end of the street definitely needs a draw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

moyners wrote: »
    I don't think the Blacktie building would be big enough for Zara would it? That end of the street definitely needs a draw

With the Capitol cinema development, it'd make no sense for Zara to go down that end of the street. It would be a big draw alright though but for Zara, all the action is going to be down the Grand Parade end.

I wouldn't mind seeing an All Saints or COS going into the new development too.

Unfortunately, I doubt many smaller or independent retailers will be able to afford the rates for the new prime shopping center. It'd be great to see some influence from the English market bleed into it though.

Advertisement