Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rebel music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    And people can identify with that ?

Boy am I glad that I never had that type of "family" life!

Nobody in your family ever came home pissed? Or is this just another sad attempt to get a dig in.

Like learning to differentiate between music and politics and between pre 1960's and post 1960s?

Taking a unrealistic stance and refusing to admit its so, more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Nodin wrote: »
    Taking a unrealistic stance and refusing to admit its so, more likely.

That is seemingly perfected down to a tee already.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I'm on a high horse, what, because I don't really admire people who support a terrorist organisation?:confused:

Earlier on it was because you stated "Rebel songs can f uck right off, as can them morons who think its an Irish persons duty to listen to them" even though nobody had said any such thing. That speaks to me of somebody who had a blob of paint on his brush already and was just looking for a place to put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Nobody in your family ever came home pissed? Or is this just another sad attempt to get a dig in.

It's an embarrassing post looking back at it alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I'm on a high horse, what, because I don't really admire people who support a terrorist organisation?:confused:

Rebel songs have a deep-rooted sense of tradition dating back many centuries, Well before the troubles broke out again also They are not just confined to Irish history, and includes the exploits of the Irish Brigades who fought for both France and Spain, and also those who fought during the American Civil War.They are a way of passing on stories from generation to generation and a lot of them would be classed as protest songs.As i have said already some are crap a lot are not,imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

K-9 wrote: »
    Some of us had to work at Wolfe Tone Gigs. People think being sober at a a nightclub cattle market is bad, try a Wolfe Tone concert!
    The Wolfe Tones are awful "musicians". They have no musical ability. And I still can't get over how they murdered The Sash.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sorry - better things to do.

Like making generalisations on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Like making generalisations on here?

Such as ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Like learning to differentiate between music and politics and between pre 1960's and post 1960s?

Given that I'm not the one inserting phrases like "ooh aah up the rah" into songs, you might want to direct that point elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

BeefyS wrote: »
    dont like it.
    dont really see its place today. its similar to war celebration music and i dont see a war in this country going on. except for the ones people make because they are bored/angry/dont feel important enough so they latch on to a cause that seems important but isnt really but you can make a big deal out of it and therefore achieve your goal of feeling important.

like the westboro baptist church :) they feel like the most important of all but sure, arent they the biggest ar$eholes too? funny how it works like that...

Like people who use the Nazi's as an analogy any chance they get. You know you're talking to someone who hasn't a clue when they grab at the utter extremes and compare.

Jog on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

ColeTrain wrote: »
    See that's what I don't get. I bet you often hear songs that you don't like and you have to try and ignore them. But as soon as "Celtic Symphony" plays you'd leave? Don't know why you have to be so dramatic, it's always "I'm cringing" or "it's the worst song ever". Are you trying to embarrass people who like this music? Maybe you need to get over the fact that everyone has different tastes and folk that like rebel songs have nothing to be ashamed about. Sing them loud and proud If you want.

I'm not being dramatic by saying I'm cringing, I actually was.
    I can imagine the Celtic jersey wearing brigade "singing proud "the "ooh ah up the ra" part in a pub. I can guarantee I'd leave that pub. Not trying to embarrass anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Anyone who sings a rebel song is promoting the IRA in Itsawindup's eyes. Even though the song he is harping on about isn't even about the IRA.

It must make life easier seeing everything in black and white.

Nope, never said that. Just that particular song.

Such as ?

I asked you a question liam - did no-one in your family ever come home pissed?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I can imagine the Celtic jersey wearing brigade "singing proud "the "ooh ah up the ra" part in a pub. I can guarantee I'd leave that pub. Not trying to embarrass anyone.

Well good for you its a free country because of some of the guys they sing about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

LordSutch wrote: »
    Screaming Lord Sutch (deceased) former leader of the Monster Raving Loony Party.

A great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

I love rebel songs, my dad always played them when we went on spins around the country, they always make me proud and a bit angry at the same time... shocking to think what our ancestors went through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

Like people who use the Nazi's as an analogy any chance they get. You know you're talking to someone who hasn't a clue when they grab at the utter extremes and compare.

Jog on....

em no, i think i won't.
    i think i will compare extreme nationalism and being anti-britain to groups like the westboro baptist church as it makes sense. ya see mr armani, hitler was actually voted in. there was lots of sociological and economical factors that led to his rise in power and it really was a different time. the world was recovering from the most horrific war ever (one which irish men fought and died in, lots of them), the weimar republic was a weak state and one which could never last, and well, fascism was kinda a new thing and importantly, it was anti-communist and so forth. but its very hard to sum up all those factors in such a short space so needless to say, it was complicated :)

what im saying is very uncomplicated.
    people dont feel important enough. they therefore need to feel more important then they actually are. they therefore grab onto a cause which is outdated, anti-whatever (gay, islam, race, britain etc.) and then procede to tell people just how important it is and that someone is an idiot (or in your words, hasnt got a clue) if they dont agree/make fun of this super mega important cause.

right now in the north, there are many economical and sociological factors surrounding how the place is governed. there is a wide mix of people that live there and the place is entrenched in a deep history which you cant ignore on one side or the other, needless to say - its complicated. but it is the right type of complicated that some people can take advantage of and use to highlight just how important / better they are and just how much more patriotic they are then the "idiots/people who dont have a clue".

and thats pretty much it. you need to feel better then people, you have found a cause that lets you believe that. but its also like a scale, the "more important" the cause, the bigger the ar$eholes are about it. at the top you have al-queda, westboro baptist church and so on. then the upper middle ar$ehole groups like the English Defense League and much of the race hate groups. id put anti-britain people at the lower-middle end of the scale though as most of them just really super want to feel important, still ar$eholes though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

em no, i think i won't.
    i think i will compare extreme nationalism and being anti-britain to groups like the westboro baptist church as it makes sense. ya see mr armani, hitler was actually voted in. there was lots of sociological and economical factors that led to his rise in power and it really was a different time. the world was recovering from the most horrific war ever (one which irish men fought and died in, lots of them), the weimar republic was a weak state and one which could never last, and well, fascism was kinda a new thing and importantly, it was anti-communist and so forth. but its very hard to sum up all those factors in such a short space so needless to say, it was complicated :)

what im saying is very uncomplicated.
    people dont feel important enough. they therefore need to feel more important then they actually are. they therefore grab onto a cause which is outdated, anti-whatever (gay, islam, race, britain etc.) and then procede to tell people just how important it is and that someone is an idiot (or in your words, hasnt got a clue) if they dont agree/make fun of this super mega important cause.

right now in the north, there are many economical and sociological factors surrounding how the place is governed. there is a wide mix of people that live there and the place is entrenched in a deep history which you cant ignore on one side or the other, needless to say - its complicated. but it is the right type of complicated that some people can take advantage of and use to highlight just how important / better they are and just how much more patriotic they are then the "idiots/people who dont have a clue".

and thats pretty much it. you need to feel better then people, you have found a cause that lets you believe that. but its also like a scale, the "more important" the cause, the bigger the ar$eholes are about it. at the top you have al-queda, westboro baptist church and so on. then the upper middle ar$ehole groups like the English Defense League and much of the race hate groups. id put anti-britain people at the lower-middle end of the scale though as most of them just really super want to feel important, still ar$eholes though! :)

When you say anti-Britain, are you referring to views that were against the people of Britain or views that were in opposition to the policies of successive British governments on the island

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Paparazzo wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

When you say anti-Britain, are you referring to views that were against the people of Britain or views that were in opposition to the policies of successive British governments on the island

i suppose a bit of both.

hasnt their latest policy been to give us a lot of money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

i suppose a bit of both.

hasnt their latest policy been to give us a lot of money?

I don't think it is very common to hear people voice issues against British people in general. You will always get some but it is not common and certainly not found in 'rebel' songs. Could you point out any examples you might be familiar with.

Do you not think that people should have highlighted any issues with the policies of successive British governments towards Ireland that they may not have been happy with? Do you think internment without trial was acceptable for example

In regards to the bail out,have they 'given' or loaned money? helps to be specific. Why do you think that has happened, is it altruistic?

em no, i think i won't.
    i think i will compare extreme nationalism and being anti-britain ........

A desire for self rule is "extreme nationalism"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

it's amazing how much money the wolfe tones can make on the back of shíte songs and eejits quick enough to buy into them.

I don't think it is very common to hear people voice issues against British people in general. You will always get some but it is not common and certainly not found in 'rebel' songs. Could you point out any examples you might be familiar with.

school, idiots ive ran into, that sorta thing. dont really listen to rebel music as its very cringey and the message is often romanticized or bad. oh like the time i was in san francisco in some irish bar and the DJ was irish and he was all "fuk the brits, fuk tony blair, fuk the queen!" on the microphone with accompanying rebel music in the background. he was such a darn patriot
    Do you not think that people should have highlighted any issues with the policies of successive British governments towards Ireland that they may not have been happy with? Do you think internment without trial was acceptable for example

depends, internment without trial is still in use today as regards terrorists. case by case its hard to argue as there is issues on both sides. do you let someone free who is actively going to endanger peoples lives or do you lock him up even though its against the constitution. difficult and complicated.
    i cant see many problems with british politics as regards ireland at this minute though. in the past maybe but heck, isnt that why there were troubles and struggles?
    In regards to the bail out,have they 'given' or loaned money? helps to be specific. Why do you think that has happened, is it altruistic?

loaned, but sure wasnt it nice of them? :) do you think they loaned it cos they want to take us over or something? didnt really work out for them last time

A desire for self rule is "extreme nationalism"?

i made a comparison and explained why. please read. i also included a little scale at the end

and yes, in a way its extreme nationalism because like it or not, there are many people in the north that are british and consider themselves british. we are ruling ourselves (well..... kinda). the north isnt ours. it belongs to the people that live there and that is a mix - like it or not

i made a comparison and explained why. please read. i also included a little scale at the end

and yes, in a way its extreme nationalism because like it or not, there are many people in the north that are british and consider themselves british. we are ruling ourselves (well..... kinda). the north isnt ours. it belongs to the people that live there and that is a mix - like it or not

You realise that "rebel music" often refers to when the whole island was under Foriegn rule?

You realise that "rebel music" often refers to when the whole island was under Foriegn rule?

and used as a message of hate against our neighbours, yes

and used as a message of hate against our neighbours, yes

Here's "A nation once again". You can quote the part thats a "message of hate" and we can discuss it.

http://celtic-lyrics.com/lyrics/?id=9

• Advertisement

Here's "A nation once again". You can quote the part thats a "message of hate" and we can discuss it.

http://celtic-lyrics.com/lyrics/?id=9

you dont like complicated things do you.
    a message of hate can be constructed many ways. for example, implying an us against them mentality where we are standing up for whats true and right and those against us are bad and wrong. it can be done by implying a victory then over those negative forces "look how much better then we are", people then come away with a message of importance due to this victory... and we all know that we want to feel important now dont we :)

i can see ive ruffled feathers with my post though. i know it must be annoying to have what you believe so much in trivialized and made fun of. there are many people in the world who get annoyed about the exact same things, this guy for example. hes really mega annoyed that god doesnt actually exist so hes doing mental gymnastics to ease his mind. thats a different end of the spectrum to what we are dealing with here though, same mentality but different ideals

Advertisement