Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rebel music

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Paparazzo wrote: »
    This is officially the worst song I've ever heard.

Have you heard "(It's Time to) Beat Dat Beat" and "friday" or anything by kreayshawn or big sean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Some great songs. Nothing beats a night in the pub with some trad and the locals singing along.

My favourite:

It's hard to believe that in the year 2011 people still sing along, in a pub, to the words "Ooh ah up the RA". Sometimes I really don't believe that we live in an intelligent world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    UrbanSea wrote: »
    Some great songs. Nothing beats a night in the pub with some trad and the locals singing along.

My favourite:

It's hard to believe that in the year 2011 people still sing along, in a pub, to the words "Ooh ah up the RA". Sometimes I really don't believe that we live in an intelligent world.

It works best if you stick your middle finger in the air while chanting it! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I find it hard to believe that a few words in a song could give you a boost onto a horse that high.

• Advertisement

PK2008 wrote: »

Dear God........

PK2008 wrote: »

Now THAT is unmitigated skanger tripe!

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that a few words in a song could give you a boost onto a horse that high.

I'm on a high horse, what, because I don't really admire people who support a terrorist organisation?:confused:

I'm on a high horse, what, because I don't really admire people who support a terrorist organisation?:confused:

Spare me the mock outrage. You said that anyone who sang along with that song is basically stupid.

That song was written for Celtic FC in their centenary year, the lyrics involve the club and it's history. The line "up the Ra" is insignificant, it's about someone looking at a wall ffs. If people want to sing along with it then that's their prerogative. If you don't like it then run out of the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Beir Bua

Were you alive years ago you would no doubt be saying the same thing, actually, you'd be saying

"I'm on a high horse, what, because I don't really admire people who support a fenian organisation?"

or better still,

"I'm on a high horse, what, because I don't really admire people who support a rebel organisation?"

A huge proportion of rebel songs are not about the provos.

BB

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »

The add ins don't look so bad now when compared to that do they!

BB

Spare me the mock outrage. You said that anyone who sang along with that song is basically stupid.

That song was written for Celtic FC in their centenary year, the lyrics involve the club and it's history. The line "up the Ra" is insignificant, it's about someone looking at a wall ffs. If people want to sing along with it then that's their prerogative. If you don't like it then run out of the pub.

And I'll say it again, as loud as anyone wants me to.

Beir Bua wrote: »
    Were you alive years ago you would no doubt be saying the same thing, actually, you'd be saying

"I'm on a high horse, what, because I don't really admire people who support a fenian organisation?"

or better still,

"I'm on a high horse, what, because I don't really admire people who support a rebel organisation?"

A huge proportion of rebel songs are not about the provos.

BB

This one most likely was, as it was released in 1987

And I'll say it again, as loud as anyone wants me to.

Shout all you want but I think anyone who judges somebodies intelligence on singing a song is probably a bit slow themselves.

This one most likely was, as it was released in 1987

You need to listen to the lyrics of these songs, you really do.

Its about Celtic and he saw "graffiti on the walls", as there was at the time, of "Up the Ra".

Personally I think it's a great song, but it's obviously not to everyones taste which is grand, I'm sure you like songs I hate, thats just music.

But the ignorant generalize all "rebel" songs as being "oh ah up the ra sh!te", which is, bollocks. Many many many songs are not about the provos, and far fewer still have chants like that in them. I've been to rebel nights where the subject matter of the songs was entirely about the 18th and 19th centuries. Others still about 1916 and the Tan War. Challenge your preconceptions.

BB

You need to listen to the lyrics of these songs, you really do.

Its about Celtic and he saw "graffiti on the walls", as there was at the time, of "Up the Ra".

Personally I think it's a great song, but it's obviously not to everyones taste which is grand, I'm sure you like songs I hate, thats just music.

But the ignorant generalize all "rebel" songs as being "oh ah up the ra sh!te", which is, bollocks. Many many many songs are not about the provos, and far fewer still have chants like that in them. I've been to rebel nights where the subject matter of the songs was entirely about the 18th and 19th centuries. Others still about 1916 and the Tan War. Challenge your preconceptions.

BB

You know just as well as I do that idiots up and down the country wing along to that song in praise of the IRA, something that I'm sure the Wolfe Tones had full awareness of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If I heard that song played in a pub I'd definitely leave. I'd run away quite fast. I was actually cringing it was that bad. Ohh ahh up the ra, said ohh ahh up the ra :rolleyes:
    Tony_cascarino said he'd rather listen to rebel songs than Justin bieber (because they're the only types of music in the world). I'd rather listen to beiber than that

You know just as well as I do that idiots up and down the country wing along to that song in praise of the IRA, something that I'm sure the Wolfe Tones had full awareness of.

So? Who cares? The provos don't even exist nowadays. Just like musical tastes, peoples definitions of "idiots" varies too.

The point I was making is that "rebel" music is not all "oh ah up the ra" or about events within living memory, you should abandon that misconception. Music like I've referred to helps keep history alive.

BB

So? Who cares? The provos don't even exist nowadays. Just like musical tastes, peoples definitions of "idiots" varies too.

The point I was making is that "rebel" music is not all "oh ah up the ra" or about events within living memory, you should abandon that misconception. Music like I've referred to helps keep history alive.

BB

Says it all really. As if the promotion of a terrorist group is somehow okay

Paparazzo wrote: »
    If I heard that song played in a pub I'd definitely leave. I'd run away quite fast. I was actually cringing it was that bad. Ohh ahh up the ra, said ohh ahh up the ra :rolleyes:
    Tony_cascarino said he'd rather listen to rebel songs than Justin bieber (because they're the only types of music in the world). I'd rather listen to beiber than that

See that's what I don't get. I bet you often hear songs that you don't like and you have to try and ignore them. But as soon as "Celtic Symphony" plays you'd leave? Don't know why you have to be so dramatic, it's always "I'm cringing" or "it's the worst song ever". Are you trying to embarrass people who like this music? Maybe you need to get over the fact that everyone has different tastes and folk that like rebel songs have nothing to be ashamed about. Sing them loud and proud If you want.

• Advertisement

Says it all really. As if the promotion of a terrorist group is somehow okay

Anyone who sings a rebel song is promoting the IRA in Itsawindup's eyes. Even though the song he is harping on about isn't even about the IRA.

It must make life easier seeing everything in black and white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Maybe this would be more suited for some people on the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭BeefyS

dont like it.
    dont really see its place today. its similar to war celebration music and i dont see a war in this country going on. except for the ones people make because they are bored/angry/dont feel important enough so they latch on to a cause that seems important but isnt really but you can make a big deal out of it and therefore achieve your goal of feeling important.

like the westboro baptist church :) they feel like the most important of all but sure, arent they the biggest ar$eholes too? funny how it works like that...

The first, written by Bobby Sands, the second, about him. No one does those songs quite like Christie.

One more while I'm at it, it's about Robert Emmet, one of my personal heroes, everyone should read his speech from the dock. Historically Ireland has had an abundance of heroic young men, we need young men like Emmet today.

BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

The odd English rebel song is good too.

"Robin Hood, Robin Hood riding through the glen,
    Robin Hood, Robin Hood with his band of men,
    Feared by the bad, loved by the good,
    Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood"

The add ins don't look so bad now when compared to that do they!

BB

Well yes, because (a) they're inserted into generally decent songs that people actually like and (b) they result in a supposedly civilised crowd in a pub chanting in support of murderers.

So while I have no idea who the market for the techno-ised (or should that be tech-noised) audio assault is, at least that just involves the skangers shouting "ooooh-ah ooooh-ah" to Mark McCabe type ****e rather than following it with drunken pseudo-support for murderers and criminals.

Well yes, because (a) they're inserted into generally decent songs that people actually like and (b) they result in a supposedly civilised crowd in a pub chanting in support of murderers.

So while I have no idea who the market for the techno-ised (or should that be tech-noised) audio assault is, at least that just involves the skangers shouting "ooooh-ah ooooh-ah" to Mark McCabe type ****e rather than following it with drunken pseudo-support for murderers and criminals.

This one's specially for you, not one of my favorites but I think you'll love it.

BB

This one's specially for you, not one of my favorites but I think you'll love it.

BB

Sorry - better things to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Sorry - better things to do.

Like learning to differentiate between music and politics and between pre 1960's and post 1960s?

Advertisement