Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rebel music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Not really. You have African and Chinese people living on the island. Doesn't make them Irish.

So why can't that apply to Celtic in Britain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The basis of your point here is that fianna fail is an anti-British party. Can you provide one shred of evidence to back this up.

Charles Haughey ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I never said Celtic weren't British. My point was that republicans supporting Celtic is not ironic given their overwhelming Irish ethos.

Republicanism isn't simply hating anything that has a touch of Britishness about it.

Get with the programme. Sure all republicans hate everything British. Sure they can't even talk out loud, they have to whisper because of the embarrassment of speaking English. I bet they would all like Oasis too, pity that they could never listen to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Get with the programme. Sure all republicans hate everything British. Sure they can't even talk out loud, they have to whisper because of the embarrassment of speaking English. I bet they would all like Oasis too, pity that they could never listen to them.

Personally, I sit on nails while typing in this evil tongue....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I never said Celtic weren't British. My point was that republicans supporting Celtic is not ironic given their overwhelming Irish ethos.

Republicanism isn't simply hating anything that has a touch of Britishness about it.

It is ironic to me. Plenty of irish clubs with an irish ethos. You don't have to go to Britain for a plastic paddy one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Nodin wrote: »
    Are you linking nationality with ethnicity there Keith?
    It was a question of living on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It is ironic to me. Plenty of irish clubs with an irish ethos. You don't have to go to Britain for a plastic paddy one.

Either you have no idea what you're talking about, or you're trolling. I'd guess the latter.

Indeed there are plenty of Irish clubs with an Irish ethos. None as good as Celtic ;)

Either you have no idea what you're talking about, or you're trolling. I'd guess the latter.

I'd say the former.

Exactly my point. Yet a few posts above this one KeithAFC was going on about how republicans don't do irony because they support a team located in Britain. Yet he lives in Ireland and calls himself British.

:D

• Advertisement

Exactly my point. Yet a few posts above this one KeithAFC was going on about how republicans don't do irony because they support a team located in Britain. Yet he lives in Ireland and calls himself British.
    Key point. Celtic FC are a club which play in the United Kingdom. They are a British club in a British league. Shamrock Rovers (an example) are an Irish club playing in the Republic Of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Key point. Celtic FC are a club which play in the United Kingdom. They are a British club in a British league. Shamrock Rovers (an example) are an Irish club playing in the Republic Of Ireland.

...which makes you an Irishman on the Island of Ireland. Well done Keith, welcome home.

Key point. Celtic FC are a club which play in the United Kingdom. They are a British club in a British league.

None of which means Irish republicans can't support them.
    Shamrock Rovers (an example) are an Irish club playing in the Republic Of Ireland.

Well done.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...which makes you an Irishman on the Island of Ireland. Well done Keith, welcome home.
    I think the topic should perhaps get back on topic. But sticking to the little recent discussion, I think it is fair to say Celtic FC are a British club. They are a club from the United Kingdom. Lets not deflect the topic to be about Ulster politics.

You're an Irish man posting that message from the island of Ireland.

You support Rangers. Last time I checked they weren't Irish either.

None of which means Irish republicans can't support them.

Well done.
    Of course. They can support who they want. Just like a guy in Asia can support Man Utd. But I think the problem a lot of LOI fans and Irish people in the Republic in general have with Republican Celtic fans is the anti British agenda they have and yet support a club which is at the end of the day a British club.

You're an Irish man posting that message from the island of Ireland.

You support Rangers. Last time I checked they weren't Irish either.
    Like I said, I don't think we should go down that route on this thread which is about Republican rebel songs. I live in the United Kingdom. Lets just leave it at that.

Of course. They can support who they want. Just like a guy in Asia can support Man Utd. But I think the problem a lot of LOI fans and Irish people in the Republic in general have with Republican Celtic fans is the anti British agenda they have and yet support a club which is at the end of the day a British club.

LOI fans can think what they want. The nearest club to me is Galway united, look how well they are run. Maybe if I had a club to support things might have been different but that's neither here nor there.

You're also stereotyping every Celtic fan as anti-British which is nonsense.
    Like I said, I don't think we should go down that route on this thread which is about Republican rebel songs. I live in the United Kingdom. Lets just leave it at that.

Right you are because informing everyone on here that Celtic fans don't do irony is on topic.

LOI fans can think what they want. The nearest club to me is Galway united, look how well they are run. Maybe if I had a club to support things might have been different but that's neither here nor there.

You're also stereotyping every Celtic fan as anti-British which is nonsense.

Right you are because informing everyone on here that Celtic fans don't do irony is on topic.
    No. I did say Republican Celtic fans. I don't believe every Celtic fan is a Republican. Many aren't. That is what my short irony post was about. That Celtic is a British club.

Why can't you see that republicanism isn't about hating anything British or anything located in Britain? It is to do with anti-British imperialism. This makes it possible to reconcile republicanism with supporting Celtic. Celtic may be a 'British' club but that doesn't mean republicans can't support them. Just like it means republicans can support Man Utd, watch 'Only Fools & Horses', listen to British bands etc.

Simply dismissing Celtic as 'British' without even taking into account their Irish heritage and history is very simplistic IMO.

Maybe it's just sour grapes on the part of LOI fans but that's not a discussion for this thread.

• Advertisement

I think the topic should perhaps get back on topic. But sticking to the little recent discussion, I think it is fair to say Celtic FC are a British club. They are a club from the United Kingdom. Lets not deflect the topic to be about Ulster politics.

This is a thread about Irish rebel songs. You keep banging on about Celtic being a British club, and you're accusing other people of deflecting the topic. I'd argue that Ulster politics is a lot more relevant to this thread than where a football club plays. Still not very relevant, but more relevant.

Celtic FC are a British club. No sane person is going to argue with you about this. They do, however, have very strong Irish connections. Therefore republicans supporting them are being in no way hypocritical. And I say this as a non republican Celtic fan.

No. I did say Republican Celtic fans. I don't believe every Celtic fan is a Republican. Many aren't. That is what my short irony post was about. That Celtic is a British club.

Why say let's just leave it at that then continue with your arguments? Seems to me like you just didn't have a response. And you live in the United Kingdom, certainly. No argument here. You also live in Ireland. Do you need a map?

Why say let's just leave it at that then continue with your arguments? Seems to me like you just didn't have a response. And you live in the United Kingdom, certainly. No argument here. You also live in Ireland. Do you need a map?
    Not at all. It was the having a go at me for supporting a club which is a British club in the UK. I live in the UK. I don't see a contradiction.

This is a thread about Irish rebel songs. You keep banging on about Celtic being a British club, and you're accusing other people of deflecting the topic. I'd argue that Ulster politics is a lot more relevant to this thread than where a football club plays. Still not very relevant, but more relevant.

Celtic FC are a British club. No sane person is going to argue with you about this. They do, however, have very strong Irish connections. Therefore republicans supporting them are being in no way hypocritical. And I say this as a non republican Celtic fan.
    It wasn't me who brought it up. It was some one who posted a video and I responded to a reply about it and agreed that it had a touch of irony about it which I still stand by as that pub is in Dublin.

Not at all. It was the having a go at me for supporting a club which is a British club in the UK. I live in the UK. I don't see a contradiction.

It wasn't me who brought it up. It was some one who posted a video and I responded to a reply about it and agreed that it had a touch of irony about it which I still stand by as that pub is in Dublin.

It's so easy to make things sound how you like by putting the right spin on it. Example: You can make Irish Republicans sound hypocritical by saying they follow a British football club, while I can say they're not at all hypocritical by following a football club started by Irish people for Irish people. Both statements are true, it's all about the spin. I could just as easily call you a hypocrite for being an Irishman supporting a Scottish team. It's no less true than you saying you're from the UK and supporting a UK club, but, again, it's all about the spin.

It's quite clear you have an anti-republican agenda.

It's so easy to make things sound how you like by putting the right spin on it. Example: You can make Irish Republicans sound hypocritical by saying they follow a British football club, while I can say they're not at all hypocritical by following a football club started by Irish people for Irish people. Both statements are true, it's all about the spin. I could just as easily call you a hypocrite for being an Irishman supporting a Scottish team. It's no less true than you saying you're from the UK and supporting a UK club, but, again, it's all about the spin.
    Its all about opinions and the odd fact. By the way, I have no problem with rebel songs or the players lounge.:)

Its all about opinions and the odd fact. By the way, I have no problem with rebel songs or the players lounge.:)

A lot of it comes down to opinion all right, I'll give you that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I find it really boring when people keep taking a thread off topic.
    I am going to put this thread back on topic again.
    This is another personal favourite rebel song my Aunt had booming out of her Sanyo HiFi when I was a child:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35CBWwy98nc
    RIP Luke Kelly. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

I live in the United Kingdom. Lets just leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

When Alex Salmond wins his vote will you still support a club from outside the UK or will it be DUK by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Why can't you see that republicanism isn't about hating anything British or anything located in Britain? It is to do with anti-British imperialism. This makes it possible to reconcile republicanism with supporting Celtic. Celtic may be a 'British' club but that doesn't mean republicans can't support them. Just like it means republicans can support Man Utd, watch 'Only Fools & Horses', listen to British bands etc.

Simply dismissing Celtic as 'British' without even taking into account their Irish heritage and history is very simplistic IMO.

Maybe it's just sour grapes on the part of LOI fans but that's not a discussion for this thread.
    It is simple. Celtic are British. They might have a portion of fans with Irish links. but as a football club they're 100% British. Pretending they're an Irish club is delusional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

It is simple. Celtic are British. They might have a portion of fans with Irish links. but as a football club they're 100% British. Pretending they're an Irish club is delusional.

like the other guy what will you call them when Salmond wins his independence referendum, thats hardly 100% British is it?

Advertisement