Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rebel music

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Beir Bua wrote: »
    Rebel music is not deliberately provocative and insulting.

Oh yes it is . . . .
    Standing outsides someones house and singing "The Billy boys" like your pals have often done is deliberately provocative and insulting.

Well I agree with you about that, although the 'your pals' bit is incorrect, those types are no pals of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,974 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

realies wrote: »

How did that happen ? seriously

An online campaign ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/us/features/topten/

The Wolfe Tones' version of A Nation Once Again was voted the number one song in the world by BBC World Service listeners in 2002 :eek::rolleyes::):p

How did that happen ? seriously

"Everyone, Republican or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Nodin wrote: »
    "Everyone, Republican or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something."

Do something for what, lol?

Well it isn't generally "deliberately provocative & insulting", but I suppose it would appear that way to people such as southern unionists. This puts them in the same boat as Southern Confederates listening to the American national anthem, Nazis listening to jazz.

Well I might also suggest Irish Republicans also start listening to Jazz and give up that old Rebel guff once & for all.

"Up the Ra" ideed, awful hate inducing stuff . . . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Do something for what, lol?
    To get the propaganda out.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Well I might also suggest Irirh Republicans start listening to Jazz too & give up that old Rebel guff once & for all. Up the Ra ideed . . . . . .

O we're already a diverse lot. You shouldn't stereotype.

You any plans to give up pining for monarchy and a foriegn power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

KeithAFC wrote: »
    To get the propaganda out.

Says keith who would never dream of doing that :rolleyes:

Who,s yer man in your signature this time Keith, Old type bus conductor ?

You any plans to give up pining for monarchy and a foriegn power?

No pining matey, Her Maj was here earlier this year! and as for 'foreign' I think you know what I would say about that.

PS: You still havent said how you can delve into my posting history at such speed (almost as if you have me on file)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Says keith who would never dream of doing that :rolleyes:

Who,s yer man in your signature this time Keith, Old type bus conductor ?
    Well that is what it was with the hunger strikers. Probably why Sinn Fein let the last remaining on hunger strike die.

And that is a picture of an Ulster patriot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Stop the arguing.

We are all Irish here :D and like it or not this music is part of our history as is Unionist music if to a lesser degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Irish Folk/Trad music = Great!

Rebel music = sooo wrong on many levels.

A Hotel near us had the Wolf Tones playing there last year, and that, along with other issues (dirty toilets) was the last straw for us, so we just wouldn't go there again on principle, the gang the Tones attracted had to be seen to be believed, real heavy duty republicans, Sands tattoos, 70s style moustaches, nicotain stained fingers, half sloshed Brit hating neanderthals the lot of them! Really awful crowd.

Most people don't go to gigs to study the audience.

No pining matey, Her Maj was here earlier this year!)?

Everyone is entitled to visit. We live in a free country afterall.
    PS: You still havent said how you can delve into my posting history at such speed (amost as if you have me on file)?

The mysterious Boards.ie search function. Shhhh. Don't tell anyone.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Most people don't go to gigs to study the audience.

Well we couldnt avoid studying them on the way in, we were going for a meal and they were heading in to sing "Up the IRA" songs with the Wolf Tones, awful crowd the lot of them, crap music too . . .

We couldnt avoid them on the way in, we were going for a meal and they were heading in to sing "Up the IRA" songs with the Wolf Tones, awful crowd the lot of them, crap music too . . .

One crowd going to a gig by one band, the most general of generalizations.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Well we couldnt avoid studying them on the way in, we were going for a meal and they were heading in to sing "Up the IRA" songs with the Wolf Tones, awful crowd the lot of them, crap music too . . .

Who did you expect to see in the audience, Justin Bieber fans?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Who did you expect to see in the audience, Justin Bieber fans?

No of course not, all I'm saying is that by the look of them (the rebel music crowd) they were really into their IRA/Hunger strike, glorification stuff, which is reall not my cuppa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Treason

Rebel songs are still being made. The struggle goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

If you get some good rebel cds then you can listen happily away. The radio is crap for good music, it's always the same stuff when i listen. I love my music, also all kinds and rebel tunes from brilliant artists like the Wolfe Tones :)

No of course not, all I'm saying is that by the look of them (the rebel music crowd) they were really into their IRA/Hunger strike, glorification stuff, which is reall not my cuppa.

Em, find me 5 well known rebel songs that discuss the IRA of the 1960-1990's?

There are not many, most "rebel" songs are from pre 1960.

• Advertisement

Em, find me 5 well known rebel songs that discuss the IRA of the 1960-1990's?

Find you 5 well known Rebel songs? Em, no thanks, I certainly don't want to be looking up that kinda thing. (see post#199).

Evil, insulting, hateful guff ........

Find you 5 well known Rebel songs? Em, no thanks, I certainly don't want to be looking up that kinda thing.

Not all rebel songs are "Evil, insulting, hateful guff".

That is my point, and few if any in any way popular or well known rebel songs are about the current troubles.

One song, only one, in this thread is in the vain of "up the ra" the rest are good songs.

But you keep talking nonsense with no facts to back you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Well, what does a song about the famine, a man rebelling against the British crown and it's cruelty and his subsequent exile from his native land for this so called "crime", have to do with rugby?

Did you even think before you accused someone of hijacking the song? Add ins of "IRA" and "Sinn Féin", though I don't like them myself, are much more in tune with the song, as they are the two groups who forced the British out of 26 of Ireland's 32 counties, then sports like Rugby are.

BB

Inserting lyrics = hijacking the song

Those Neanderthal drunken chants are not part of the lyrics.

Munster supporters don't insert any lyrics.

Find you 5 well known Rebel songs? Em, no thanks, I certainly don't want to be looking up that kinda thing.

Not all rebel songs are "Evil, insulting, hateful guff".

That is my point, and few if any in any way popular or well known rebel songs are about the current troubles.

One song, only one, in this thread is in the vain of "up the ra" the rest are good songs.

But you keep talking nonsense with no facts to back you up.

Then direct your objections to the IRA for hijacking and polluting the songs and making them uncomfortable listening due to murder and criminality.

It's the same issue re the word "republican"; any time I use that word I have to put in the caveat that I don't mean the dodgy murdering ones and don't agree with or condone their actions.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Then direct your objections to the IRA for hijacking and polluting the songs and making them uncomfortable listening due to murder and criminality.

It's the same issue re the word "republican"; any time I use that word I have to put in the caveat that I don't mean the dodgy murdering ones and don't agree with or condone their actions.

Those are your own personal opinions on the modern campaign up north, I am not saying anything on it.

The songs date to before that campaign, if people from NI appropriate them to their past situation that is up to them they lived through it.

Liam I would look into many many of the leaders of the 1900's, many of them were worse than the IRA up north except many of them died or got nice cabinet or TD positions.

I do not condone any killing, not that personal opinions matter much either way.

Those are your own personal opinions on the modern campaign up north, I am not saying anything on it.

The songs date to before that campaign, if people from NI appropriate them to their past situation that is up to them they lived through it.

Bit of a contradiction there between those two paragraphs.

The word "republican" existed before the north too. And it has been twisted from its real meaning (related to a republic where everyone is equal).

Mind you, even the word Irish gets twisted by the bigots.

Although to be fair, Ireland isn't exactly a republic with everyone treated equally - it's all about who you know and how much money you have.
    Liam I would look into many many of the leaders of the 1900's, many of them were worse than the IRA up north except many of them died or got nice cabinet or TD positions.

I do not condone any killing, not that personal opinions matter much either way.

If I had been around in the 1900s and seen them indiscrimiately murder innocents I would have had the same viewpoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Oh my gaaawd George, there's someone listening to a Irish song, he must one of those common person - it's time to leave.

What?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Rebel songs can f uck right off, as can them morons who think its an Irish persons duty to listen to them.

Find you 5 well known Rebel songs? Em, no thanks, I certainly don't want to be looking up that kinda thing. (see post#199).

Repeating the same thing over and over will not make it true.
    Well we couldnt avoid studying them on the way in, we were going for a meal and they were heading in to sing "Up the IRA" songs with the Wolf Tones, awful crowd the lot of them, crap music too

Aversion to Republicanism - is it linked to a fear of working class people? There's a number of posts that have come up here over the years that make me wonder.....

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Bit of a contradiction there between those two paragraphs.

The word "republican" existed before the north too. And it has been twisted from its real meaning (related to a republic where everyone is equal).

Mind you, even the word Irish gets twisted by the bigots.

Although to be fair, Ireland isn't exactly a republic with everyone treated equally - it's all about who you know and how much money you have.

If I had been around in the 1900s and seen them indiscrimiately murder innocents I would have had the same viewpoint.

Not really a contradiction, anyway this is all your opinion. Your last point is not really relevant I just said I would look into the founders of the republic and scrutinize their actions before you brush off the campaign of the North not that has anything to do with "rebel" music in general as I have said point me out 5 popular "rebel" songs that are about the modern/most recent/the troubles campaign.
    is it linked to a fear of working class people?

He has lord in his username, so yes I would imagine so.

Advertisement