Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Snoop isn't independent though, Doggystyle Records has been around since the Death Row days but he's always been with a major label, currently with EMI (Priority Records).

No i think he is independent, Doggystyle became independent in the late 90s and snoops music is distributed by EMI but released under Doggystyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

I think dre and snoop had issues in the wake of dre leaving aftermath.
    Also, I'm not sure how it works, whether interscope provide aftermath with money to sign artists or dre had to cough up the money himself.
    If the money was coming out of dres pocket I doubt he would have been able to afford what it would have taken to get snoop on board, or more to the point, willing to pay it.

Or like prettyboy said, he just wanted a fresh start.
    Also worth remembering, the doggfather was a huge dissapointment, in a short time his reputation took a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I can't imagine Dre not offering to sign Snoop, and even giving him a potential under-label.

True Aftermath is always very selective with releases. Busta and Rakim have left because of this.

I think it all stems down to Dre, he can only work on so much at one time sure even 50 threatened leaving if Dre continued to produce so much for Game instead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Think about it, Snoop would do anything for Dre, he has all the time in the world for him. If Dre turned around and said "Forget about No Limit/Geffen/EMI and sign with me" ...why would Snoop say no?

creative differences etc maybe a more free role was offered somewhere else the fact is we will never know unless it comes straight from the horses mouth.
    Doubt it, if anything I'd say Dre wanted a fresh start after he left Death Row, not to sign their artists once their contracts were up. Why would Snoop join No Limit instead of going with Dre?

i remember reading in an interview with snoop years ago that in fact it was snoop who wanted a fresh start after all the negativity that surrounded him in his early career with charges/death row troubles etc.
    Dre is very particular about how he works and who he works with. That's not to say that he had any issue with Snoop or he didn't want to work with him, he more than likely felt like he wouldn't be able to give Snoop the time he deserves or was more interested in working with new artists on their debut albums (Em, 50, Game) as opposed to established ones.

we know what dre is like but the point is aftermath was dormant until 98 when eminem was introduced, fair enough dre had an effort with the firm but they were never hugely successful hence the one album.

aftermath could of done with snoop in 96 who was arguably in his prime, would of been a great flagship artist when aftermath launched so in my eyes i think their defiantly was a possible approach by dre to sign snoop it makes as much sense as your point.

like i said though we will never know why snoop never ended up on the math unless we hear it from him or dre.

• Advertisement

Also worth remembering, the doggfather was a huge dissapointment, in a short time his reputation took a hit.

well thats wrong unless its your personal opinion, if not it debuted number 1 on the billboards so it cant be labelled a disappointment.

it was always going to have a hard time living up to doggystyle, but it wasn't a disappointment by any means im pretty sure its several times platinum so a lot of people would agree.

the only thing i didnt like about the album is it pretty much steered away from that g funk sound but it was still hugely successful and a decent album just not on the same level as doggystyle which is understandable as thats a straight classic.

I could be wrong but Dre did not work with snoop in 97 or 98 until after Eminem dropped, which was probably got to do with him leaving death row and the 2pac "beef".

Snoop by then had been on his own and after Death Row probably did not want to work with a label where he was close to the owner like Death Row.

Equally Dre might not have wanted to have Snoop be signed to him because that usually never ends well.

"Everybody wanna know how close me and Snoop is. And who I'm still cool with" - it must have been a falling out because they did not work together for 2 years and then work very close on 2001.

well thats wrong unless its your personal opinion, if not it debuted number 1 on the billboards so it cant be labelled a disappointment.

it was always going to have a hard time living up to doggystyle, but it wasn't a disappointment by any means im pretty sure its several times platinum so a lot of people would agree.

the only thing i didnt like about the album is it pretty much steered away from that g funk sound but it was still hugely successful and a decent album just not on the same level as doggystyle which is understandable as thats a straight classic.
    i was a seriously huge snoop fan at the time, i bought the magazines, i watched the tv shows, i knew what was going on.
    as good as wikipedia is, being there at the time and having the insight to know what im talking about is a more reliable source of information.
    trust me, people were disappointed.

I could be wrong but Dre did not work with snoop in 97 or 98 until after Eminem dropped, which was probably got to do with him leaving death row and the 2pac "beef".

Snoop by then had been on his own and after Death Row probably did not want to work with a label where he was close to the owner like Death Row.

Equally Dre might not have wanted to have Snoop be signed to him because that usually never ends well.
    as i said above, im nearly sure there was issues between the two for a few years.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    i was a seriously huge snoop fan at the time, i bought the magazines, i watched the tv shows, i knew what was going on.
    as good as wikipedia is, being there at the time and having the insight to know what im talking about is a more reliable source of information.
    trust me, people were disappointed.

no need to get smart because your wrong, your not the only snoop fan here belive it or not hugh lol :rolleyes:.

people were disappointed with it because it was the follow up to a debut that was a classic and a completely different sound for snoop aswell as falling victim to a classic the same with nas the same with 50,game,biggie etc

i guarantee you if you visit some of those videos on youtube now people will be calling them good, like em said on becareful what you wish for...
    Every CD, critics gave it a 3, then 3
    Years later, they'd go back and re-rate it
    And call the Slim Shady LP the greatest
    The Marshall Mathers was a classic
    The Eminem Show was fantastic
    But Encore just didn't have the caliber to match it
    I guess enough time just ain't passed, yet
    A couple more years, that ****'ll be ill-matic
    And eight years later, I'm still at it
    wiki that kid.

• Advertisement

You could give it 100 years, relapse and recovery will never be classics.

But how an album was received when it came out is mostly irrelevant.

You could give it 100 years, relapse and recovery will never be classics.

i agree with relapse but recovery was an album that introduced eminem to a whole new hip hop audience, album had progression written all over it something a lot of our other favorite commercial rappers are not capable of imo.

i honestly cant see why recovery catches so much slack amongst some people, what did you expect in all honestly?

it was never going to be a mmlp etc, we had em trying similar content on relapse sober as a judge and look how that turned out...

I did not expect it to be like any of his past great albums, I expected it to not be as bad as it was.

It had some good songs but all in all it was not worth the money.

True recovery was better than relapse because it had none of that stupid style and trying to rap like he did when he was younger and out of it but still it was a fairly poor album.

But if they were consolidated into one album it would have been a great album, so I suppose I should not be complaining.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I recall that there was some beef between Snoop and Dre when Snoop left Death Row. Snoop was annoyed because Dre was running with Pac and he was feeling left out I guess. But SNoop also wanted to have a bit of independance and wanted to prove that he didnt need Dre.

In relation to the reception of Tha Doggfather album, I remember that there was huge disappointment around it and reviewers were kinda forcing themselves to find redeeming qualities on the album.

the doggfather was a disappointment, i know, i was there.
    its hilarious how many of you have selective memory, you will shyt all over something you dont like, drake for instance, wayne for instance, you will say they are horrible artists, you will pizz all over their numbers as meaning nothing.

yet when you want to prove me wrong, numbers become important.
    you dont realize his numbers were gonna be good because of doggystyle, he had a fan base willing to buy his music.
    doesnt mean we wernt disappointed with the album.

we really were disappointed, dont believe wikipedia.

Personally i didn't like the doggfather, i had heard doggystyle first and then had high expectations and of course i was let down, the only snoop album i would regard as classic is doggystyle, the rest are mediocre.

The album is hailed as a classic now, much like illmatic it took years to be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I recall that there was some beef between Snoop and Dre when Snoop left Death Row. Snoop was annoyed because Dre was running with Pac and he was feeling left out I guess. But SNoop also wanted to have a bit of independance and wanted to prove that he didnt need Dre.

Really? I read an article a while back on the making of All Eyez On Me. Tommy Daugherty (a mixer/engineer working with Death Row at the time) said that Dre more or less wanted nothing to do with the label after Pac joined.

Here's an excerpt where he talks about California Love and the relationship between Pac and Dre. This is just one guys story, interesting to hear but I wouldn't take it as fact. I'm sure if we heard the story from Dre, Snoop or Suge they would all tell it completely differently.
    **** it, I can say it: Dre really didn't want nothing to do with that record. He didn't like it at all that 2pac came to Death Row, which I thought was kind of interesting, 'cause I remember he said, "That's it, I'm done with Death Row now that 2pac is here." I was like, "What the ****!?" I mean, if you look at that album, he didn't do **** on "All Eyez On Me" except for "California Love," which basically was, ughhh, that was going to be his single for Aftermath, right? And Suge heard that **** and said, "**** it," and rushed up to Dre's house and made him put 2pac on there. So basically he lost his first single for Aftermath, and it ended up being the first single for 2pac. Because the original version of that is three verses with dre rapping on it. The only person who's got that original version is DJ Jam, Snoop's DJ. So basically Suge was like, "**** it, we're putting 2pac on that ****, and this is going to be the single off the record..." that **** was dope. Suge ain't no dummy.

I did not expect it to be like any of his past great albums, I expected it to not be as bad as it was.

It had some good songs but all in all it was not worth the money.

True recovery was better than relapse because it had none of that stupid style and trying to rap like he did when he was younger and out of it but still it was a fairly poor album.

But if they were consolidated into one album it would have been a great album, so I suppose I should not be complaining.

suppose its just opinion, i taught recovery was pretty class but on the other hand relapse was terrible everything from dre's production to ems rapping just a really average to bad album.
    the doggfather was a disappointment, i know, i was there.
    its hilarious how many of you have selective memory, you will shyt all over something you dont like, drake for instance, wayne for instance, you will say they are horrible artists, you will pizz all over their numbers as meaning nothing.

yet when you want to prove me wrong, numbers become important.
    you dont realize his numbers were gonna be good because of doggystyle, he had a fan base willing to buy his music.
    doesnt mean we wernt disappointed with the album.

we really were disappointed, dont believe wikipedia.

i know the reviews hugh, i know what people taught of it at the time, but you called the massacare a classic when a lot of people would say exactly what your saying about doggfather about the massacare.

a bit of selective memory from yourself their hugh.

the album wasnt that bad imo, deal with it man you wernt the only one on boards "there" when the album was released either :rolleyes:

how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

all this "we" talk lol, why do you think i asked if it was a personal opinion that you felt it was a disappointment? this "we" talk don't be so stupid you don't talk for every snoop fan hugh belive it or not, iv no problem listing to most of that album.

"Your second albums 'Doggfather', I ain't gotta say more" - Bishop Lamont

EDIT: I don't really like this line, I just thought it was relevant to the discussion. FWIW I like a few tracks off Doggfather and still listen to the album every once in a while. Not as good as Doggystyle (obviously) but definitely not his worst album.

• Advertisement

I lost a little respect for Lamont after hearing that. Its a hot song though. Is that what got him dropped from Aftermath?

You don't diss Snoop and Game if you are on Aftermath.

Well here's snoops view on the Doggfather which is more important than anybody elses.
    My second album a lotta people had negative things to say about The Doggfather. "It ain't hard", "It was tight", it wasn't this, it wasn't that. It only sold 2 million copies in America. It didn't do what we thought it was gonna do, it wasn't what we expected. At the time I was goin through a lot and that's the way I felt. The 2 million people that bought it, I love you and appreciate you. For all you 6 million mutha****as that's on my dick again, now you love me again--**** y'all cause y'all wasn't real when the **** was tough.

whats that suppose to mean in all fairness? like i said to hugh you cant categorize fans into we's...

agree with conor too about that line from bishop.

no one is saying it was a classic album here by any means, its not that hard to belive that some people might have enjoyed the album though.

i know the reviews hugh, i know what people taught of it at the time, but you called the massacare a classic when a lot of people would say exactly what your saying about doggfather about the massacare.

a bit of selective memory from yourself their hugh.

the album wasnt that bad imo, deal with it man you wernt the only one on boards "there" when the album was released either :rolleyes:

how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

all this "we" talk lol, why do you think i asked if it was a personal opinion that you felt it was a disappointment? this "we" talk don't be so stupid you don't talk for every snoop fan hugh belive it or not, iv no problem listing to most of that album.
    im older than you, thats all you need to know, im talking from first hand experience, you are not.
    i know it was a disappointment.

forget mentioning every post ive made in the past, stop comparing what im saying ow to what ive said previously, thats twice in two days now youve done that.
    if your best argument is my post history you dont know what your taking about.

instead of making stupid claims about opinion and rehashing my post history give me first hand facts.

If we all had to speak just on personal experience, we would not be speaking much would we?

The album is hailed as a classic now, much like illmatic it took years to be appreciated.
    which album?

I lost a little respect for Lamont after hearing that. Its a hot song though. Is that what got him dropped from Aftermath?

You don't diss Snoop and Game if you are on Aftermath.

Not sure why he was dropped but it did happen shortly after the beef with Game. TBH I think Dre just sat him down one day and said the two of them weren't going anywhere, Dre wanted to work on Detox and Relapse, Bishop wasn't a priority.

Not sure why he was dropped but it did happen shortly after the beef with Game. TBH I think Dre just sat him down one day and said the two of them weren't going anywhere, Dre wanted to work on Detox and Relapse, Bishop wasn't a priority.

Makes sense.

But Bishop, Rakim and Busta were not a priority either. Aftermath is very picky, but somehow managed to let out just loose it and recovery.

Plus Detox is not even out, and he always said Lamont would be a big part of it.
    Hugh Cream wrote: »
    which album?

The Doggfather.

whats that suppose to mean in all fairness? like i said to hugh you cant categorize fans into we's...

agree with conor too about that line from bishop.

no one is saying it was a classic album here by any means, its not that hard to belive that some people might have enjoyed the album though.

Just edited my post, I don't agree with what Bishop said but thought it was relevant to the discussion we're having.

• Advertisement

The Doggfather.
    come again, its considered a classic?
    :confused:

Advertisement