Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    stop mate, you dont know any hip hop heads, youve never been to a concert, you wernt buying dr dre's 2001 when you were 13, you wouldnt have been served.
    stop lying, and just accept im right, its not a competition, im not trying to get one over on you.
    and btw, i get it, your music tastes are broadening, dont be the sort of dikk who looks down his nose just because hes discovered multi's , metaphors and realism.:rolleyes:

oops too many words, cant reply tit for tat and all that:D

il let the jigga man do the talking. rip hugh cream cause of death ethered himself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

you would not have gotten 2001 in hmv when you were 13.

I got served GTA3 in HMV when I was 11. I got served Encore when I was 14.
    they taped albums off the radio, that didnt happen.

I have imaginary tapes still in my house then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

I got served GTA3 in HMV when I was 11. I got served the Encore when I was 14.
    i said 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

anyone find it hard to believe that hugh who claims to be at least in his late 20s because he's older than me (24) has such a liking for todays more teeny bopper hip hop with drake and lil wayne etc...

i know people around my age mid 20s like drake etc , but im struggling to find any hip hop heads in there late 20s/30s who bang young mula baby...

stop lying hugh, the same man never head of a tape recordings :D

back in the day I use to record the Mark Tandorii (spelling) on BBC radio one , then mark was shipped on and in came westwood , his show use to be the **** ,
    ah those where the days ..........i reckon my mum still has plenty of my tape recordings in her attic

i said 2001.

GTA3 was much worse than 2001.

• Advertisement

I have imaginary tapes still in my house then.
    you were taping albums off the radio in the 80's and 90's?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

i said 2001.

gta 3 came out in 01......
    Your ridiculous argument is going nowhere.

you were taping albums off the radio in the 80's and 90's?

I was not around in the 80's but I have tapes of albums in my house mostly from my siblings doing it. I was more a cd person then an mp3 person (legally or borrowing).

GTA3 was much worse than 2001.
    you would not have been served 2001 at the age of 13 back in 1999, lets stick with what were talking about, in the era were talking about.

I was not around in the 80's but I have tapes of albums in my house mostly from my siblings doing it. I was more a cd person then an mp3 person (legally or borrowing).
    lol holy shyt, give it a rest, they were your siblings tapes.
    im not denying people tped songs off the radio, im denying they taped albums.
    people copied one tape to a blank tape.

• Advertisement

so.... yeah.. how bout snoops new album he announced........

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    so.... yeah.. how bout snoops new album he announced........

:D

Should be good, hoping for some good Dre production and again hopefully a nate dogg hook.

snoop hasnt made a good album in years, it will be shyt.

:D

Should be good, hoping for some good Dre production and again hopefully a nate dogg hook.

im hoping for a kendrick lamar, schoolboy feature tbh, i want to see snoop making music with some of the wests new artists.

also a good nate tribute would be nice, infact id like to hear that on detox too its only right for what nate has done for westcoast hip hop.

Is he still workin with warren G? if so i'm hopin for a good contribution from him and he says he's workin with Wiz Khalifa for it, i don't like the sound of that, not a fan of Wiz at all.

im hoping for a kendrick lamar, schoolboy feature tbh, i want to see snoop making music with some of the wests new artists.

also a good nate tribute would be nice, infact id like to hear that on detox too its only right for what nate has done for westcoast hip hop.

True, and Snoop is the person to do that tbh. I say he will have new (good) west coast artists on it and some older ones.

I will not buy Detox if there is not at least one Nate Dogg feature, and I am dying to hear the album.

Ye a bigger Warren G part would be nice too, he always has Snoop on one of his songs.

True, and Snoop is the person to do that tbh. I say he will have new (good) west coast artists on it and some older ones.

I will not buy Detox if there is not at least one Nate Dogg feature, and I am dying to hear the album.

Ye a bigger Warren G part would be nice too, he always has Snoop on one of his songs.

Nate was on snoops album so i'm sure he'll have plenty of unreleased material to work with, nates hooks defined G-funk imo.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Is he still workin with warren G? if so i'm hopin for a good contribution from him and he says he's workin with Wiz Khalifa for it, i don't like the sound of that, not a fan of Wiz at all.

that i dont know, i know warren g made a tribute song already for nate.. but id like to see something special that actually breaks the commercial market too even if its justs nate on the song.

i havnt seen or heard from warren g since around nate's funeral man.

hope he does, as long as he stays away from david guetta and the likes for this album il be happy.

ye but the biggest stage of all for a decent nate tribute is without a doubt detox, would be class to hear it but you never know with dre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

anyone find it hard to believe that hugh who claims to be at least in his late 20s because he's older than me (24) has such a liking for todays more teeny bopper hip hop with drake and lil wayne etc...

i know people around my age mid 20s like drake etc , but im struggling to find any hip hop heads in there late 20s/30s who bang young mula baby...

stop lying hugh, the same man never head of a tape recordings :D

I listen to it and I fit that category. Mainly because I stopped being such a cynic and just listen to it because it's enjoyable. Same reason I listen to Rick Ross. I'm not taking anything from it other than the entertainment. Good production on most of the tracks and swagger. To be honest I don't care what heads think about it.

Tha Doggfather was a disappointment. I remember buying it and not liking it. Vapors and Snoop's Upside Ya Head got heavy enough rotation on Yo! but really the album never delivered. The sales came off the back of his popularity as Hugh has already said. He went to No Limit and No Limit Topp Dogg was shit. It put me off him until I heard Lay Low on Tha Last Meal. I really didn't like No Limit anyway back then.

As for taping songs off the radio, back in the mid 90s pretty much the only rap you were hearing on Irish radio (non-pirate) was Gangsta's Paradise and The Fugees. California Love would get very minimal play. So there wasn't much to tape. You had to go out and buy the album, which often lead to disappointment because I couldn't afford to buy many (£20 a cd was a lot to someone in school) and there was no real internet access available then. Certainly not for downloading music.

I don't know why the age card is being thrown around so much in this thread. I don't see the relevance but there is some what of a difference between experiencing something at the time and reading back on it. For a good few of the posters here (at least former posters) 1994 was the equivalent to other posters 2004. Not that it means anything really but we're posting from a point of view of witnessing it (as much as you can from Ireland, heh).

edit - Actually it was Da Game is to be Sold not to be Told that was his first album on No Limit and it was crap. No Limit Top Dogg had some decent tracks on it.
    I really hated the album art too.

Gameistobesold.jpg

I listen to it and I fit that category. Mainly because I stopped being such a cynic and just listen to it because it's enjoyable. Same reason I listen to Rick Ross. I'm not taking anything from it other than the entertainment. Good production on most of the tracks and swagger. To be honest I don't care what heads think about it.

each to their own, i wouldn't find young moneys music enjoyable for the best part but i do listen to a bit of ross myself he can at times make good music despite what i might think of him.

but ross is a gangsta rapper and in a completely different category than the likes of drake despite the collabs so the comparison there isn't really relevant to what i said.
    Tha Doggfather was a disappointment. I remember buying it and not liking it. Vapors and Snoop's Upside Ya Head got heavy enough rotation on Yo! but really the album never delivered. The sales came off the back of his popularity as Hugh has already said. He went to No Limit and No Limit Topp Dogg was ****. It put me off him until I heard Lay Low on Tha Last Meal. I really didn't like No Limit anyway back then.

as the majority felt that way, the argument stemmed from hugh speaking for every singe individual snoop fan deeming it was sin like to actually like the album, as said before it wasnt a sh*t album by any means.
    I don't know why the age card is being thrown around so much in this thread. I don't see the relevance but there is some what of a difference between experiencing something at the time and reading back on it. For a good few of the posters here (at least former posters) 1994 was the equivalent to other posters 2004. Not that it means anything really but we're posting from a point of view of witnessing it (as much as you can from Ireland, heh).

either do I about the age card but hugh was leaning towards it for dear life despite the fact a few of us know he is younger than he is making himself out to be , and yes you are right there is some what of a difference experiencing an album at the time pier to a few years later but it still doesnt make someone's opinion on the album irrelevant in any way.

some people change their mind a few years later on albums that originally they might have not liked, iv done it myself more than once.

• Advertisement

some people change their mind a few years later on albums that originally they might have not liked, iv done it myself more than once.

I have done it countless times even for artists, Kanye being possibly the biggest next to Xzibit.

Point is no matter how bad some people thought Doggfather was it sold well and only grew more liked over time. It can out at a very bad time for a follow up to a classic album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Warren G will be releasing a number of tracks he did with Nate Dogg soon, the first one is "Party We Throw Now" featuring Game.

Snippet (LOW QUALITY): http://limelinx.com/files/7a6feeb34e10201aa47c7ec3c33695e1
    regulator wrote:
    Coming soon! party we will throw featuring @thegame and Nate Dogg. It will be a WarrenG.com exclusive RT
    https://twitter.com/#!/regulator/status/164103005573091328

Warren G was in the studio with Game yesterday so we should hear it soon enough, I think he said he's releasing 6 unreleased Nate tracks.
    Warren G. is set to release his new track "Party We Throw Now," and he's released some photos to show who he's collaborating with on the album- Game.

Back in May Warren G. talked about the track, saying: "You know, it's classic West Coast sh**. It's talking about giving everybody the insight on this new West Coast, and just West coast, period and just game, period. It's all over. Whether it's the South, whether it's the East coast, it's a party we will throw. Everybody is going to be able to relate to it. When you hear the hook, you will be like, "Ok, this is exactly what we are missing right here." It's a good record man. I'm glad he got on it. I immediately was like, "This would fit Game right here, this record, this would fit him perfectly." So I got at him and he was like "Man, it's all good, O.G." Boom. In at the studio, knocked it down. The records came out incredible, both records, the one for him and the one for me."
    http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2012/02/guess-whos-in-the-studio-w-warren-g-photo/#3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

each to their own, i wouldn't find young moneys music enjoyable for the best part but i do listen to a bit of ross myself he can at times make good music despite what i might think of him.

but ross is a gangsta rapper and in a completely different category than the likes of drake despite the collabs so the comparison there isn't really relevant to what i said.

Well Drake I don't listen to all that much, he really doesn't do anything for me, I was mainly referring to Wayne.
    either do I about the age card but hugh was leaning towards it for dear life despite the fact a few of us know he is younger than he is making himself out to be , and yes you are right there is some what of a difference experiencing an album at the time pier to a few years later but it still doesnt make someone's opinion on the album irrelevant in any way.

You're right it most certainly does not make a person's opinion any less relevant. I read his argument more from the point of view that people were referencing stuff they'd read about the reception of the album rather than being there at the time of the release. As for the changing your mind bit, I completely agree with that too. In fact I listen to stuff now that I wouldn't have given the time of day 5 years ago.
    Point is no matter how bad some people thought Doggfather was it sold well and only grew more liked over time.

When I was checking Wiki to see his discography I read that Tha Game Is To Be Sold Not To Be Told debuted at number and stayed there for two weeks but it was a crap album. Easily his worst. While I won't disagree that Tha Doggfather has been more liked over time the whole selling well bit means nothing really as it could have been a steaming turd and would have sold well regardless due to the fact that it was Snoop and was his follow up to Doggstyle, and people actually bought music back then.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Warren G will be releasing a number of tracks he did with Nate Dogg soon, the first one is "Party We Throw Now" featuring Game.

Snippet (LOW QUALITY): http://limelinx.com/files/7a6feeb34e10201aa47c7ec3c33695e1

https://twitter.com/#!/regulator/status/164103005573091328

Warren G was in the studio with Game yesterday so we should hear it soon enough, I think he said he's releasing 6 unreleased Nate tracks.

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2012/02/guess-whos-in-the-studio-w-warren-g-photo/#3

that is good news so hopefully it will happen, is it going to be a mixtape though or an actual song by song basis over a period of time? like a lot of artists are doing lately..

People music now, just not a lot of plastic. But anyway.

that is good news so hopefully it will happen, is it going to be a mixtape though or an actual song by song basis over a period of time? like a lot of artists are doing lately..

I can't remember the details but Warren said something about releasing a 6-track EP, all unreleased Nate Dogg tracks. He announced it 6-7 months ago if I remember correctly.

As for Nate appearing on Detox, it would be a great tribute and incredible to hear Nate on a track with Dre again but I just can't see it happening. Dre is too pedantic about what goes on his records. I'm sure he has access to some unreleased Nate Dogg material from the mid 00's, but what are the chances of him using it?

I'm sure he has access to some unreleased Nate Dogg material from the mid 00's, but what are the chances of him using it?

Nate Dogg was on his other two albums. He is one of the artist he has worked with for the longest time ever. He died recently. He was and is a legend.

Several reasons.

Nate Dogg was on his other two albums. He is one of the artist he has worked with for the longest time ever. He died recently. He was and is a legend.

Several reasons.

I didn't ask what are the reasons he'd use the material, I asked what are the chances. Unless your name is Calvin or Marshall then your place on Detox is not guaranteed, don't think otherwise.

I didn't ask what are the reasons he'd use the material, I asked what are the chances. Unless your name is Calvin or Marshall then your place on Detox is not guaranteed, don't think otherwise.

The chances are high based on the reasons I gave. He has albums been on Dres albums. He worked closely with him for years and he died recently.

• Advertisement

The chances are high based on the reasons I gave. He has albums been on Dres albums. He worked closely with him for years and he died recently.

He hasn't worked closely with him since '04, yeah they've done plenty together in the past and he died recently but that doesn't mean that Dre will use an old verse/hook he had laying around in his computer. If it doesn't fit in with Dre's concept then it won't be included.

Don't forget Dre said himself that he wants the album to be upbeat and fun. I'd like to hear Nate on the album but I haven't got high hopes.

Advertisement