Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

A Tribe Called Quest Documentary Wins Producer's Guild Award

I haven't gotten around to seeing this. Must give it a spin soon enough though. Sounds good.
    Michael Rapaport's flick about the Tribe won big at this year's Producers Guild Awards.

January is winding down, and with the Golden Globes being last week, the entertainment industry is in the full swing of awards season. Now, one of Hip Hop's own took home a major win this weekend when the A Tribe Called Quest documentary Beats, Rhyme and Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest was honored at the Producer's Guild of America Awards.

According to The Wrap, actor Michael Rapaport's documentary about the legendary Native Tongues trio took home the Best Documentary award at the Producer's Guild of America Awards. The awards honor the producers who produce and execute the best film and television programs of the year.

Beats, Rhymes and Life, which was released this past summer, garnered critical acclaim from Hip Hop fans and film critics alike. Although the PGA is the first award the film has yet to receive, reports indicate that the film is on the shortlist for the Academy Awards Best Feature Length Documentary.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A Tribe Called Quest Documentary Wins Producer's Guild Award

I haven't gotten around to seeing this. Must give it a spin soon enough though. Sounds good.

Its pretty good, but leans in favour of one member over the others. It tries to remain unbias but loses its way.......but well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

about time some more people started going at officer ricky ross and that talentless muppet dj kahled .. long may it continue.

riz is pretty good imo, has a great ear for beats can be decent at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Never heard of him, is he signed to a label?

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Never heard of him, is he signed to a label?

dont know for sure man, i know he's managed by sha money XL so he could be signed to his label. i came across a few of his songs on youtube around 3 years ago now and since then his music has really improved and matured a bit, i gave the kiss the ring mixtape a listen a few weeks ago and its pretty good he's got the likes of fab and prodigy on it, a few nice songs on it.

but iv seen him getting promoted on thisis50 there on the main page today showing the diss video, seems to be popular enough around new york, he was hyped up to be the next 50 cent by a lot of people including sha a few years ago, in certain songs especially his older ones he can be very similar in style to 50 there comparisons are to be seen imo, but his sound has matured a lot as i said.

this song is from his earlier stuff, real raw here on this one from 07.

more recent, you can see the improvement in his music. he has a real good ear for beats too which i like and not a bad mc typical NY flow really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Now that's dedication, Meth on stage with a broken leg in a wheelchair performing Cream :D:D:D

R.I.P Don Cornelius, soul train did so much for hip hop in it's early days.
    Found dead this morning, shot himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Exile says he's still waiting to work with Jay Electronica. Really hope that this project goes ahead. There's great potential there.
    Producer Exile had music lovers in a bit of a frenzy when he briefly mentioned a phone call he had with rapper Jay Electronica in which a possible mixtape was discussed. And during an interview this week with Miss Special, Exile revealed what exactly was said during his conversation with the rapper.

According to Exile while a mixtape with Jay Electronica was discussed it has yet to come to fruition.

“He called me up on my home phone before I had a cellphone,” Exile explained. “We were just chopping it up and he was like he felt he knew me already just from the work that I’ve done with Blu. He was a fan of that and he was like ‘Yo, let’s make a mixtape.’ And I’m like ‘Of course I’m down.’ But such a gifted emcee he’s definitely getting hit up by so many different cats that I’m sure that got lost in the sea of other projects that he’s working on. But yea that’s definitely one of my favorite emcees. And to have the chance to work with him would be a blessing, but I have not had one yet.”

Snoop is after announcing a new album
    Long Beach, California emcee/actor/producer Snoop Dogg announced the title of his 12th solo album. The Doggystyle Records founder revealed that Reincarnated will be the release title, and feature a corresponding documentary.

In 2012 the Priority/EMI Records executive and artist released Doggumentary, along with a collaborative soundtrack work with Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania emcee Wiz Khalifa, Mac + Devin Go To High School.

This year will be 19 years of albums for Snoop, who's acclaimed multi-platinum debut Doggystyle released in 1993.

Hopefully it's not a disappointment, it's fair to say he hasn't released anything decent in the past 6-7 years,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Why is Snoop not signed to Aftermath?

• Advertisement

He's on his own label, doggy style records, it's part of EMI i think.

Why is Snoop not signed to Aftermath?

Snoop hasn't been on aftermath for years man. Can't remember why he left tbh I think it was he just wanted a change but I could be wrong there so don't qoute me.

Ye snoop has released bits of good material, I think he lost his consistency tbh, the last album I enjoyed from snoop was rythem and gangsta.

I like snoop when he stays away from all that techno rubbish, lost a lot of respect for him the last few years has turned into a incredibly commercial rapper.

I did not know he was ever on Aftermath, but him having his on label under EMI or whoever makes sense.

I don't see why he did not do it under Aftermath and have everyone on it though they could afford it and would make money of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

snoop was never signed to aftermath.

He's had doggy style goin for years, i think he started it before aftermath even existed I don't think was ever on aftermath either.

I did not know he was ever on Aftermath, but him having his on label under EMI or whoever makes sense.

I don't see why he did not do it under Aftermath and have everyone on it though they could afford it and would make money of it.

I taught he went to aftermath after death row but done a quick search there and your right he was never on aftermath.

I think EMI have better financial benefits, I think they give There artists all the freedom of an indie artist but also give them major label backing and promotion!

I know Lloyd banks last year turned down a move back to interscope and a move to def jam to sign with EMI, also g unit records inked a deal with them but g unit the group remains on interscope ( jimmys a smart man lol)

Chances are if snoop would of signed to aftermath he wouldn't of released as much material as he has done over the years, so in all it's probably a good thing he didn't sign with dre on aftermath.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think he went from Death Row to No Limit to someone else, then got DoggyStyle as a label. I dont think the someone else was AfterMath......or did he buy himself out of the No Limit contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

death row >> no limit >>

after that im not sure, i know he was on pharell's label at some point as well, not sure if aftermath was a working label when snoop left death row.

After some quick googling extensive research i found out he has done some work with geffen records so thats probably the other label he was on

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    After some quick googling extensive research i found out he has done some work with geffen records so thats probably the other label he was on

Ye Geffen is under interscope too so technically he was on interscope again after death row.

• Advertisement

Well technically Interscope is under Universal (?) so :D. He is on EMI, interesting.

It all comes down to 4 of them, no matter how many little sub-labels you have.

He must have had his reasons to not go with Aftermath anyway, but good point Aftermath has had a long history of releasing very very low amounts of music.

It must be the EMI thing because if they gave g-unit a label they would have given snoop a label.

Snoop was never on Aftermath, I know people think because he has a good relationship with Dre that he could/should have signed with him but I doubt Dre ever asked him/gave him the opportunity.

Snoop was never on Aftermath, I know people think because he has a good relationship with Dre that he could/should have signed with him but I doubt Dre ever asked him/gave him the opportunity.

Why would Dre not have asked him?

Well technically Interscope is under Universal (?) so :D. He is on EMI, interesting.

It all comes down to 4 of them, no matter how many little sub-labels you have.

He must have had his reasons to not go with Aftermath anyway, but good point Aftermath has had a long history of releasing very very low amounts of music.

It must be the EMI thing because if they gave g-unit a label they would have given snoop a label.

Ye aftermath is a label dominated by eminem and 50 , as far as I can remember the game was the last artist outside of those 2 to release an album on aftermath. (open to correction on that one)

That's just dre he seems very hesitant in recent years to actually release new artists through his label, the last chance he took that actually saw the light of day was the game in a joint venture with 50. (again don't qoute me but I think I'm right)

His current artist slim da mobster is good enough but he isn't anything ground breaking, I think he is an artist waiting to be dropped tbh don't think his album will see the light of day on aftermath but you never know.

I think def jam are the most active hip hop label, they always have a decent roster no matter what, they have a huge hip hop release annually while interscope/aftermath in recent years seem to be every 2 or 3 years with really only em and 50.

Why would Dre not have asked him?

Let's say he did, why would Snoop have said no?

as far as I can remember the game was the last artist outside of those 2 to release an album on aftermath. (open to correction on that one)
    Game in 2005, Busta's in 2006 and since then there's been 2 Eminem albums and 2 50 albums.

His current artist slim da mobster is good enough but he isn't anything ground breaking, I think he is an artist waiting to be dropped tbh don't think his album will see the light of day on aftermath but you never know.
    He will never release a major label album.

I say the opurtunity came up alright for snoop, he was dre's first real flagship artist and arguably his most important.

the whole death row thing/murder trial could of had a huge influence in snoops descion, but I think dre defeintly would of tried to sign snoop.

I say the opurtunity came up alright for snoop, he was dre's first real flagship artist and arguably his most important ... I think dre defeintly would of tried to sign snoop.
    Doubt it, if anything I'd say Dre wanted a fresh start after he left Death Row, not to sign their artists once their contracts were up. Why would Snoop join No Limit instead of going with Dre?

Dre is very particular about how he works and who he works with. That's not to say that he had any issue with Snoop or he didn't want to work with him, he more than likely felt like he wouldn't be able to give Snoop the time he deserves or was more interested in working with new artists on their debut albums (Em, 50, Game) as opposed to established ones.

Think about it, Snoop would do anything for Dre, he has all the time in the world for him. If Dre turned around and said "Forget about No Limit/Geffen/EMI and sign with me" ...why would Snoop say no?

Doubt it, if anything I'd say Dre wanted a fresh start after he left Death Row, not to sign their artists once their contracts were up. Why would Snoop join No Limit instead of going with Dre?

Dre is very particular about how he works and who he works with. That's not to say that he had any issue with Snoop or he didn't want to work with him, he more than likely felt like he wouldn't be able to give Snoop the time he deserves or was more interested in working with new artists on their debut albums (Em, 50, Game) as opposed to established ones.

Think about it, Snoop would do anything for Dre, he has all the time in the world for him. If Dre turned around and said "Forget about No Limit/Geffen/EMI and sign with me" ...why would Snoop say no?

Maybe he wants to be independent on his own label so he can release what he wants when he wants, like cube, he could be on any major label out there but he stays on his own for the same reasons.

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Maybe he wants to be independent on his own label so he can release what he wants when he wants, like cube, he could be on any major label out there but he stays on his own for the same reasons.

Snoop isn't independent though, Doggystyle Records has been around since the Death Row days but he's always been with a major label, currently with EMI (Priority Records).

Advertisement