Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Am I just simple or did people here ever notice how nearly every line has the name of a record label in it? e.g: "Tommy aint my motherfúckin boy" - Tommy boy records, or "it's like going to venus dropping a mercury" - Mercury Records.

This just set him waaaay ahead of any wu tang member as a lyricist in my eyes.

And happy 46th birthday GZA.

Have a look at this article.

It lists off all of the labels that he mentions, all 41. They also list the status of each label and see how many are still around and how many have gone by the way side. Makes for interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

wayne has just come out said he doesnt like new york... might get a bit of backlash from his fans their... cant find the video as it was on mtv america and it wont work here.

http://www.diversehiphop.com/blog/2012/08/lil-wayne-says-flat-out-i-dont-like-new-york/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Good lad, tell the city that invented hip hop how much you hate them why dont ye.

here's a short clip of the video and also the new york senator has spoken about it...

Too much purple drank will do that to you

• Advertisement

Saw a list today that Pitchfork did of the top albums from 1996-2011, as voted by their readers.

http://www.pitchfork.com/peopleslist/

I've no idea what Pitchfork or their readers are like but they have a real hard on for Kanye. All 6 of his albums made the list.

DJ Shadow was the only other hip hop artist in the top 30. Outkast and Madvillain made top 50. Jigga (x2) and another two Outkast albums made the top 100.

The Marshall Mathers LP was at 121, WTT at 127 and Ghostface (Supreme Clientele) at 173.

Best of all probably is the trifecta at 181, 182 and 183. First up is Kanye's 808 album. Next is "Hell Hath No Fury" by Clipse, and then Big Boi's solo album. There are some nice songs on 808 but it's garbage compared to the ones that it is ranked above.

I've decided that Pitchfork readers are a bunch of dopes who like Kanye a little too much.

LL's mama must a told him to knock him out :D

Idlewild with Andre and big boi is on tv3 now for anybody thats interested.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Idlewild with Andre and big boi is on tv3 now for anybody thats interested.

is that a film based on the album?

• Advertisement

is that a film based on the album?

Not really. A few of the songs in it were on "Speakerboxxx/Love Below" and then a few of them were released for the film.

It's an alright film. There's some great camera work and Big Boi is great in it. Some really hot women in it as well. Well worth checking out if you've any interest in Outkast.

Not really. A few of the songs in it were on "Speakerboxxx/Love Below" and then a few of them were released for the film.

It's an alright film. There's some great camera work and Big Boi is great in it. Some really hot women in it as well. Well worth checking out if you've any interest in Outkast.

i must give it a watch, im not the biggest outkast fan but id give any hip hop related film a watch. cheers

Film was fairly poor imo, i was hammered while watching it but i could still tell it wasnt great at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Speaking of Video game sound Tracks. The music on the up coming NBA 2K13 will be produced by Jay Z.

In fact 6 out of the 24 tracks are his songs. Another 4 are by his best mate Kanye West and the rest are from a section of Jays other friends.

The Hours – "Ali in the Jungle"
    Too Short – "Blow The Whistle (Main)"
    Eric B. and Rakim – "I Ain't No Joke"
    Phoenix – "1901"
    Jay-Z – "Pump It Up (Freestyle)"
    Puff Daddy and the Family – "Victory" (feat. The Notorious B.I.G. & Busta Rhymes)
    Daft Punk – "Around the World (Radio Edit)"
    Santigold – "Shove It" (feat. Spank Rock)
    Jay-Z – "Run This Town" (feat. Kanye West & Rihanna)
    The Dirty Projectors – "Stillness is the Move"
    Nas – "The World Is Yours"
    Coldplay – "Viva La Vida"
    Roy Ayers – "We Live in Brooklyn, Baby"
    Justice – "Stress"
    Jay-Z – "The Bounce" (feat. Kanye West)
    Kanye West – "We Major" (feat. Nas & Really Doe)
    Mobb Deep – "Shook Ones, Pt. II"
    Kanye West - "Amazing" (feat. Young Jeezy)
    Meek Mill – "Ima Boss (Instrumental)"
    Kanye West – "Mercy" (feat. Big Sean, Pusha T & 2 Chainz)
    U2 – "Elevation"
    Jay-Z – "On to the Next One" (feat. Swizz Beatz)
    Jay-Z – "Public Service Announcement"
    Jay-Z – "H.A.M. (Instrumental)"

Speaking of Video game sound Tracks. The music on the up coming NBA 2K13 will be produced by Jay Z.

In fact 6 out of the 24 tracks are his songs. Another 4 are by his best mate Kanye West and the rest are from a section of Jays other friends.

The Hours – "Ali in the Jungle"
    Too Short – "Blow The Whistle (Main)"
    Eric B. and Rakim – "I Ain't No Joke"
    Phoenix – "1901"
    Jay-Z – "Pump It Up (Freestyle)"
    Puff Daddy and the Family – "Victory" (feat. The Notorious B.I.G. & Busta Rhymes)
    Daft Punk – "Around the World (Radio Edit)"
    Santigold – "Shove It" (feat. Spank Rock)
    Jay-Z – "Run This Town" (feat. Kanye West & Rihanna)
    The Dirty Projectors – "Stillness is the Move"
    Nas – "The World Is Yours"
    Coldplay – "Viva La Vida"
    Roy Ayers – "We Live in Brooklyn, Baby"
    Justice – "Stress"
    Jay-Z – "The Bounce" (feat. Kanye West)
    Kanye West – "We Major" (feat. Nas & Really Doe)
    Mobb Deep – "Shook Ones, Pt. II"
    Kanye West - "Amazing" (feat. Young Jeezy)
    Meek Mill – "Ima Boss (Instrumental)"
    Kanye West – "Mercy" (feat. Big Sean, Pusha T & 2 Chainz)
    U2 – "Elevation"
    Jay-Z – "On to the Next One" (feat. Swizz Beatz)
    Jay-Z – "Public Service Announcement"
    Jay-Z – "H.A.M. (Instrumental)"

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiit

Nas, Mobb Deep, Daft Punk, Rakim and Public Service Announcement :D:D.

That could be the greatest soundtrack of them all. I'll have to find someone who has the game and just sit in their house all day listening to the music as they play it :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

DOOM up to his old tricks! (You don't need fb to view it).

This guy has no respect for his fans whatsoever!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=463293950371966&set=a.346383272063035.85936.202916323076398&type=1&theater

How many times has he done something like that before?

It's a pretty pathetic thing to do. All you have to do is stand there for an hour, play some music and you get paid. Dunno why he wouldn't just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

His music is not that good, why does he keep getting shows?

I'm a big fan of his music, Operation Doomsday and Madvillainy are top class. But I wouldn't dream of buying tickets to see him live.

I remember reading online somewhere about a couple in the US who had travelled about 500 miles for a show and he sent an imposter. That kinda sh1t is just not on! Don't know why he still gets bookings.

I seen him play at a festival before but I'm still not entirely sure it was him haha.

I'm a big fan of his music, Operation Doomsday and Madvillainy are top class. But I wouldn't dream of buying tickets to see him live.

I remember reading online somewhere about a couple in the US who had travelled about 500 miles for a show and he sent an imposter. That kinda sh1t is just not on! Don't know why he still gets bookings.

I seen him play at a festival before but I'm still not entirely sure it was him haha.

I suppose you can kind of get away with it when you wear a mask the whole time.

He's playing a gig in October down in London with Madlib and Freddie Gibbs. I'm not able to make it due to college but if I hadn't college then I'd probably head down. It'll be interesting to see if he turns up to it.

Is he on mental or does he just not give a toss about his fans?

• Advertisement

I suppose you can kind of get away with it when you wear a mask the whole time.

He's playing a gig in October down in London with Madlib and Freddie Gibbs. I'm not able to make it due to college but if I hadn't college then I'd probably head down. It'll be interesting to see if he turns up to it.

Is he on mental or does he just not give a toss about his fans?

That sounds good but oh I wouldn't risk it if ya have to travel! He's notorious for it, but he seems to be getting particularly bad press about this one because it's the promoter who's p1ssed and not just the fans.

From what I've read about the guy he literally just does not care. He just decides not to turn up.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.10799/title.promoter-says-doom-impostors-are-intentional

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiit

Nas, Mobb Deep, Daft Punk, Rakim and Public Service Announcement :D:D.

That could be the greatest soundtrack of them all. I'll have to find someone who has the game and just sit in their house all day listening to the music as they play it :P.

I have mixed feelings about the soundtrack.

When I'm playing a game, I like to hear an artist or song that I've never heard before, and discover something new.

Like NBA live introduced me to Mr.J. with that great "Silent Earth" track

Lookin back further NBA Live 06 introduced me to Fort Minor with their track " Remember The Name"

I will either be getting NBA2K13 or NBA LIVE

I'd put this in any sports game soundtrack.

It's on my MP3 when I go running. Only problem is it makes me go faster and I lose my pacing rythem

For those that know him , chris lighty has passed away possible suicide. He managed loads of big rappers over the years like eminem, 50 cent, Busta, fat joe , his company was called violator. He's often referenced on his artists songs, He also featured on eminem,50 and Busta's remix of 2pacs hail Mary dissing murder inc.

Rip

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

For those that know him , chris lighty has passed away possible suicide. He managed loads of big rappers over the years like eminem, 50 cent, Busta, fat joe , his company was called violator. He's often referenced on his artists songs, He also featured on eminem,50 and Busta's remix of 2pacs hail Mary dissing murder inc.

Rip
    The one lasting memory that I will always have of Chris Lighty is the shout out that Cru give him on Da Dirty 30 album. It made me look him up way back then and was very impressed with what he done with Violator.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'd say there will be new music coming, I think that she is in deep doo-doo with the tax man and needs to generate funds to pay the IRS off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303640104577436392955009490.html

GZA, we need new words to describe how great he is. Neil deGrasse Tyson and GZA would be as interesting as Bill Murray and RZA.

great 3 part interview with mike tyson talks about his friendship with 2pac, the night he was killed, 50 cent etc ... very good watch, tyson at his best some funny moments.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Thisis50Interviews

• Advertisement

nice story from busta involing 2pac.

Advertisement