Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Anybody got an idea who produced this? The scratches sound like Premos work but the rest of the track sounds nothing like him.

That track was self produced by The Pharcyde for the Street Fighter movie soundtrack. It was right after J-Swift left the group and before they hooked up with J-Dilla. The scratches are courtesy of Delicious Vinyl's resident DJ M.Walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Just saw on my twitter feed that jay z was arrested last night outside a club in manhattan with 3 others, source CNN that's all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just saw on my twitter feed that jay z was arrested last night outside a club in manhattan with 3 others, source CNN that's all I know.

That isn't CNN's Twitter account. If you check the link beside the original tweet you'll find that it's a fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Raekwon wrote: »
    That track was self produced by The Pharcyde for the Street Fighter movie soundtrack. It was right after J-Swift left the group and before they hooked up with J-Dilla. The scratches are courtesy of Delicious Vinyl's resident DJ M.Walk.

Thanks very much man, you're a gent. Whenever i hear a beat i like i have to find out the producer, same with when i hear a sample i like, i have to go listen to the original song, might sound a bit strange but sure fúck it :p

That isn't CNN's Twitter account. If you check the link beside the original tweet you'll find that it's a fake.

ye i didnt have the time to check out the link at the time, i only saw it from being re-tweeted by one of the lads i follow. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Slim The Mobster (Dr. Dre's current artist/ghost writer) goes in on 50 Cent on Twitter, accuses him of working with police among other things..

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.20778/title.slim-the-mobster-blasts-50-cent-calls-him-gay-accuses-him-of-working-with-the-feds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Apparently Jay Electronica ghostwrote Nas' album Untitled/N**ger. Honestly I find this incredibly hard to believe. Nas of all people? A guy who has ghost wrote for so many well known artists. And considering Jay Elect has failed to release new material in I dunno how long and after he was a target of strong well supported claims that he stole lyrics and used ghostwriters. Here's an article. There's plenty going around. This one has most detail.

http://www.rappersiknow.com/2012/08/13/nas-lost-ghostwriters/

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Apparently Jay Electronica ghostwrote Nas' album Untitled/N**ger. Honestly I find this incredibly hard to believe. Nas of all people? A guy who has ghost wrote for so many well known artists. And considering Jay Elect has failed to release new material in I dunno how long and after he was a target of strong well supported claims that he stole lyrics and used ghostwriters. Here's an article. There's plenty going around. This one has most detail.

I remember hearing rumours of this before, if it's true that nas has ghostwriters it would explain the rubbish he's put out over the last ten years bar distant relatives and his latest album.

TheComeUp wrote: »

Interesting. I'll have to give a listen back to it later on.

I know Jay produced the first track, "Queens Get The Money", and he was supposed to produce the whole album but for some reason or another he never got around to it. It's possible that he wrote a few tracks instead. I do find it hard to believe though.

Nas was asked about ghost writing in an interview a few days ago and he had this to say:

He talks about missing out on the sample that Biggie used for "Juicy". It'd have been interesting to hear Nas on that but it was made for Biggie. Listening to the original now I can't imagine any other rapper on that beat.

Jay Elec just wrote this up on the Twitter:
    ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTRONICA ‏@JayElectronica
    Nas is one of the Greatest Ever. never has and never will need a ghostwriter. that man’s pen and legacy is without question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Stic.man of Dead Pres was also involved in the ghostwriting of the untitled album. He probably named it as well :D

Theres no smoke without fire, I honestly think this has to have stemmed from something because i doubt anyone would make this up to tarnish the legacy of one of hip hops best lryicists. This is the second time this has come up , i remember hearing similar rumours around the time of the untitled album.

Anyone know if there is a video floating around of the recording session that Freddie Gibbs and Statik Selektah did for their EP, "Lord Giveth, Lord Taketh Away"? They broadcast the session live on U Stream as Gibbs was in the booth apparently. I've tried looking but can't find anything.

Anyone else know of it's whereabouts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I pulled out an old PS3 game yesterday. NBA Live 08

Came accros a my fav song of the game sound track that I hadn't heard for years.

Here it is. What do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Theres no smoke without fire, I honestly think this has to have stemmed from something because i doubt anyone would make this up to tarnish the legacy of one of hip hops best lryicists. This is the second time this has come up , i remember hearing similar rumours around the time of the untitled album.

I wouldn't be too surprised to be honest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Came accros a my fav song of the game sound track that I hadn't heard for years.

i've been recently catching up on Mr. J. Mederios and have been really enjoying alot of his songs. this one is also great.
    Love the production from Ohmega Watts, I must bust out 'The Find' by Ohmega Watts again, excellent album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

MR J is dope. I absolutely love that album.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I must bust out 'The Find' by Ohmega Watts again, excellent album.

Ah, now that's an album and a half!

The EA Sports games are brilliant for their soundtracks. A Tiger Woods game a few years back had a Big Boi song on it. Nearly every word was edited but it was still great.

NBA '06 has a load of quality tunes on it. Chamillionaire, Bishop Lamont, Q-Tip, Jurassic 5, Lupe.

Madden '04 had The Roots, Outkast, Killer Mike and my favourite track off it was Joe Budden's "Pump It Up".

Madden '06 had Chamillionaire, Slim Thug, Pappose, Tech N9ne.

They were unreal for the rap tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

i've been recently catching up on Mr. J. Mederios and have been really enjoying alot of his songs. this one is also great.
    Love the production from Ohmega Watts, I must bust out 'The Find' by Ohmega Watts again, excellent album.

Didn't know there was many Mr J. fans in this part of the world. Always do my best to support him, buy all his stuff directly from him even if I preferred the older stuff a bit more.

LUPE wrote: »
    Didn't know there was many Mr J. fans in this part of the world. Always do my best to support him, buy all his stuff directly from him even if I preferred the older stuff a bit more.

This is Boom Bap you're talking about.

If I had a euro for every time someone mentioned a rapper that he didn't know then I'd have enough for a Mars bar and a bottle of Coke and that's it.

• Advertisement

If I had a euro for every time someone mentioned a rapper that he didn't know then I'd have enough for a Mars bar and a bottle of Coke and that's it.

But i dont know what a tracker mortgage is :D

But i dont know what a tracker mortgage is :D

Who does. It's up there with 'how do they get the figs into the fig rolls' as one of life's great unanswered questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

That sounds like a good idea for a thread. And the Mars bar and Coke would only sweeten the deal. I've definitely a few in mind who I've genuinely heard material from and are actually top class rappers but I think if I know them, Boom_Bap probably has their autograph....

Boom Bap actually invented hip hop so he did. :D

I was listening to "Killah Hills 10304" by the GZA the other day and he finished up rapping 4 minutes into the song. The beat continues for another 70 seconds though. Does anyone know why this happens in rap songs?

It seems a bit pointless to me. The beat from that song is brilliant so I'm not complaining about that. It turns a 4 minute long song (that already has a minute and a half long skit) into a 5+ minute long one.

The only reasonable explanation that I can come up with is that the producer leaves it in there so that others can use the extra instrumental for their own songs, but that's probably miles from the truth.

I don't know it there's an exact reason for it but nothing infuriates me more than a dope beat that fades out or stops completely after the last verse/hook. I love it when they let a dope beat ride out and maybe that's what the producer thinks, this to damn dope to just cut it off.

It's almost a given that my favourite beat or song on an album will be the shortest one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Am I just simple or did people here ever notice how nearly every line has the name of a record label in it? e.g: "Tommy aint my motherfúckin boy" - Tommy boy records, or "it's like going to venus dropping a mercury" - Mercury Records.

This just set him waaaay ahead of any wu tang member as a lyricist in my eyes.

And happy 46th birthday GZA.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Am I just simple or did people here ever notice how nearly every line has the name of a record label in it? e.g: "Tommy aint my motherfúckin boy" - Tommy boy records, or "it's like going to venus dropping a mercury" - Mercury Records.

This just set him waaaay ahead of any wu tang member as a lyricist in my eyes.

And happy 46th birthday GZA.

The song title gives it away :D

GZA had some label issues before the first Wu album was released. That's pretty much the background to Labels. He was called The Genius back then, and if you havent heard is album Words from The Genius, you should stop what you are doing and listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

He is way ahead of pretty much everyone in the wu, and up there with everyone not in the wu.

• Advertisement

I know we got 1 or 2 Wax fans in here.

He's doing a Wax Unplugged Weekly on youtube where every week he puts up a song from a recent unplugged gig he done. And if the rest are anything like this then we are in for a treat.

He put up Rosana as well.

Advertisement