Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I know I'm a little late with this but I was looking on youtube there and I found a pretty good interview with Freddie Gibbs. Basically he calls Rick Ross up on all his bullshít raps and whole persona.

He also kind of goes in on DJ Khaled and his attempts at rapping.

The more I hear from Gangsta Gibbs the more I like him. He talks a lot of sense in the first half of the interview with regard to the whole rapping about the thug life element.

Huge fan of Gibbs , but can't help feeling he's only saying this because of his affiliation with young jeezy who doesn't like Ross, think it started with something over that bmf song. (not sure)

But he's right, love his early stuff not liking his stuff with jeezy. Surprised interscope left him go , think he was under shady/gunit a few years ago just never happened, very talented rapper great at telling story's through his music too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Was he let go of Interscope or did g-unit just disappear into oblivion?

Was he let go of Interscope or did g-unit just disappear into oblivion?

He was dropped as far as I know by eminem, Paul Rosenberg ems manager Signed him and em refused to even sit with Gibbs, just didn't like him !

He was rumoured to get put with g unit, but their roster was packed at that time too with mobb deep , mop etc so he was just dropped by em after only a few months !

Very harsh tbh, his music is class IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

em refused to even sit with Gibbs, just didn't like him !

Any story behind that?

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    em refused to even sit with Gibbs, just didn't like him !

Any story behind that?

On the phone can't post link , but remember reading it some time ago now think it was with complex.

Google it and you should find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Any story behind that?

http://www.complex.com/music/2010/07/freddie-gibbs-talks-major-label-saga-str8-killa-rapping-djs-rick-ross

It's all there.
    Complex: Once you left Ball State and started focusing on rapping, you were signed to Interscope in 2005 by the same A&R, Joe "3H" Weinberger, who almost signed Kanye West to Capitol Records. Why did that end up not working out?

Freddie Gibbs: He was a "dickriding-type" dude, so he wasn't into the project. He basically ****ed me over and played with my life pretty much. He left Interscope and said he was gonna take me with him to Warner and it didn't happen. I didn't get no big advance. I got like 30 Gs. I was just in a bad situation, so after that little money ran out I had to go back to Gary. He saw the trends of rap starting to shift away from the gangsta ****. He saw more of these ****boys coming into the game. These "Charles Hamilton-type" niggas making that "bubblegum-bull****" rap. He saw that and wanted to latch onto that, instead of latching on to what was real. He saw a dollar-sign opportunity. I ain't no racist mother****er, but it was the Jew in him. He started ****ing with Charles and saying rap was dead and he was going in a different direction, but didn't have the nuts to tell me. He was about to sign Charles to Interscope. He was trying to take him to Warner, but Interscope gave Charles a better offer. A lot of people around him thought I was dope. It was the whole "50 Cent" era, and everything was blowing up over there at Interscope. He wanted his own hard gangsta rapper. But it's like me and 50 Cent totally different. We both do street rap, but we both do it from two way totally different perspectives. [3H] was just trying to be like Eminem and Paul Rosenberg. He had a "First Look" deal through Shady and Paul Rosenberg and Eminem had the chance to sign me. I was signed to Interscope for six months, and the parameters of the deal with Shady was within six months of my Interscope deal being signed, they could either sign me or not sign me. They passed on me.

Complex: Did you like actually go sit down with them?

Freddie Gibbs: I sat down with Paul. Eminem heard my music and he didn't wanna take a meeting with me.

Complex: Was that disappointing to you?

Freddie Gibbs: I guess it was disappointing because I saw he signed niggas like Ca$his and I was like, man, get the **** outta here. These busters can't hold a candle to me. It was a lot of youth in those feelings. I just wasn't in the right state of mind at the time. I felt like they were ****ting on me. Like I wasn't dope or something like that. But in the grand scheme of things that just gave me the mentality like, **** these niggas, I'ma show 'em. I ain't mad at them at all for not signing. It was a blessing in disguise. But once they said "no," my **** was in limbo. And then [Interscope] was trying to stick me with whoever they could stick me with. They tried to stick me with Polow, and that whole Zone 4 ****. Polow passed on it.

Complex: Did they try and stick you with G-Unit?

Freddie Gibbs: I think the whole Shady thing blew that out the water. I ain't really wanna be the 12th nigga on G-Unit at that time 'cause they had like 13 niggas. They had like M.O.P. They signed Hot Rod. They was signing busters too, 'cause Hot Rod a buster. I don't know him, I just think his music sucks. [Laughs.]
    Huge fan of Gibbs , but can't help feeling he's only saying this because of his affiliation with young jeezy who doesn't like Ross, think it started with something over that bmf song. (not sure)

But he's right, love his early stuff not liking his stuff with jeezy. Surprised interscope left him go , think he was under shady/gunit a few years ago just never happened, very talented rapper great at telling story's through his music too.

He was saying all that up to a year before he signed with Jeezy. That connection is irrelevant and makes me think that he really means it.

Any story behind that?

http://www.complex.com/music/2010/07/freddie-gibbs-talks-major-label-saga-str8-killa-rapping-djs-rick-ross

It's all there.
    Complex: Once you left Ball State and started focusing on rapping, you were signed to Interscope in 2005 by the same A&R, Joe "3H" Weinberger, who almost signed Kanye West to Capitol Records. Why did that end up not working out?

Freddie Gibbs: He was a "dickriding-type" dude, so he wasn't into the project. He basically ****ed me over and played with my life pretty much. He left Interscope and said he was gonna take me with him to Warner and it didn't happen. I didn't get no big advance. I got like 30 Gs. I was just in a bad situation, so after that little money ran out I had to go back to Gary. He saw the trends of rap starting to shift away from the gangsta ****. He saw more of these ****boys coming into the game. These "Charles Hamilton-type" niggas making that "bubblegum-bull****" rap. He saw that and wanted to latch onto that, instead of latching on to what was real. He saw a dollar-sign opportunity. I ain't no racist mother****er, but it was the Jew in him. He started ****ing with Charles and saying rap was dead and he was going in a different direction, but didn't have the nuts to tell me. He was about to sign Charles to Interscope. He was trying to take him to Warner, but Interscope gave Charles a better offer. A lot of people around him thought I was dope. It was the whole "50 Cent" era, and everything was blowing up over there at Interscope. He wanted his own hard gangsta rapper. But it's like me and 50 Cent totally different. We both do street rap, but we both do it from two way totally different perspectives. [3H] was just trying to be like Eminem and Paul Rosenberg. He had a "First Look" deal through Shady and Paul Rosenberg and Eminem had the chance to sign me. I was signed to Interscope for six months, and the parameters of the deal with Shady was within six months of my Interscope deal being signed, they could either sign me or not sign me. They passed on me.

Complex: Did you like actually go sit down with them?

Freddie Gibbs: I sat down with Paul. Eminem heard my music and he didn't wanna take a meeting with me.

Complex: Was that disappointing to you?

Freddie Gibbs: I guess it was disappointing because I saw he signed niggas like Ca$his and I was like, man, get the **** outta here. These busters can't hold a candle to me. It was a lot of youth in those feelings. I just wasn't in the right state of mind at the time. I felt like they were ****ting on me. Like I wasn't dope or something like that. But in the grand scheme of things that just gave me the mentality like, **** these niggas, I'ma show 'em. I ain't mad at them at all for not signing. It was a blessing in disguise. But once they said "no," my **** was in limbo. And then [Interscope] was trying to stick me with whoever they could stick me with. They tried to stick me with Polow, and that whole Zone 4 ****. Polow passed on it.

Complex: Did they try and stick you with G-Unit?

Freddie Gibbs: I think the whole Shady thing blew that out the water. I ain't really wanna be the 12th nigga on G-Unit at that time 'cause they had like 13 niggas. They had like M.O.P. They signed Hot Rod. They was signing busters too, 'cause Hot Rod a buster. I don't know him, I just think his music sucks. [Laughs.]

He was saying all that up to a year before he signed with Jeezy. That connection is irrelevant and makes me think that he really means it.

Ye That's the interview I read, come to think of it I remember an interview with whoo kid and it was more of the same before he was with jeezy so maybe it is something he feels strongly about.

Fair play to him though, nice to see some rappers keeping it real and not jumping on Ross's buzz in an attempt to be relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

when Em refused to sit with Gibbs
    he was probably off his head on drugs

Ye That's the interview I read, come to think of it I remember an interview with whoo kid and it was more of the same before he was with jeezy so maybe it is something he feels strongly about.

Fair play to him though, nice to see some rappers keeping it real and not jumping on Ross's buzz in an attempt to be relevant.

Gibbs is pretty real from what I've seen anyway.

As for his new music you should check out some of the stuff he's done with Madlib. They have an album coming out and it's shaping up to be very good.

He also has another album coming out with Alchemist. Hopefully that's good as well.

And as for his older stuff, I suppose "The Miseducation of..." and "midwest..." are his best works yea? I've heard of him for ages but only really went about getting his mixtapes recently.

This is a potentially huge story. Havoc from Mobb Deep went a bit crazy on Twitter last night. It is possible that his account was hacked. Can't confirm anything for sure until there is an official statement made I suppose.

Basically he was claiming that Prodigy was "****ing homes in jail". He kept on tweeting about it. He's still at it as of one minute ago. Mobb Deep are supposed to have an album coming out this year.

If this it is actually Havoc making these claims then it'll be the end of Mobb Deep imo, even if they are false claims.
    Havoc ‏ @THEREALHAVOC
    i got niggas in the jail system to to back up that prodigy was ****ing homes in jail
    Havoc ‏ @THEREALHAVOC
    i have a big announcement.... and niggas that was locked wit him know the truth
    Havoc ‏ @THEREALHAVOC
    prodigy u pussy! u long island ass bitch. I'm about to expose u!
    Havoc ‏ @THEREALHAVOC
    in a minute.... niggas that was in the jail wit him gonna blow him up first hand.!!!!

Ot29N.png

• Advertisement

Mobb Deep, remember them way back when.

Yea to be fair they are kind of irrelevant these days but when someone like Prodigy is 'outed' then I think it's a big deal. I've no problem with it all but I'd imagine an awful lot of other people will be annoyed.

Has to be hacked surely, hope it is tbh. I know mobb deep arnt the best anymore but I still enjoy there music, the black cocaine mixtape was fairly good IMO.

I know prodigy had a fall out with I think Noreaga over his book, a lot of people called it dry snitching. I just think someone could of hacked havocs account to get at P.

I mean these 2 go back years, even if prodigy was doing that would his freind turn around and hang him out to dry like that, I'm not sure..

They have not had a good album for 11 years and have not been relevant for well over 6 years (when they signed to g-unit).

They have not had a good album for 11 years and have not been relevant for well over 6 years (when they signed to g-unit).

True , they were Listining to offers from record labels after prodigy got released but If this outburst is true it means the obvious split of the duo.

Still gave us a lota classics , just hoping it isn't true tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I think it's fúckin hilarious if it is true, excellent duo but prodigy goes on about killing and all and secretly he's just being an arse bandit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The homophobia in some hip hop circles is revolting. Who f*cking cares what preferences someone has? It's their business.

It has to be hacked, havoc wouldn't just turn on his life long musical partner if he was gay. I can't see people listening to a gay gangster rapper tbh if it is true.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    It has to be hacked, havoc wouldn't just turn on his life long musical partner if he was gay. I can't see people listening to a gay gangster rapper tbh if it is true.

I don't think that attitude would exist if other rappers didn't make such a big deal about it. Why should it matter to the enjoyability of the music?

I don't think that attitude would exist if other rappers didn't make such a big deal about it. Why should it matter to the enjoyability of the music?

I know what you mean, i just looked at some of havocs tweets and he's talking about beating the shít out of prodigy and all. There's no need for him to go completely psycho about it.

I still find it funny though, probably the most gangster duo from the east coast and one of them turns out to be gay. It's like ice cube coming out as gay.
    People just won't take them seriously anymore imo.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean, i just looked at some of havocs tweets and he's talking about beating the shít out of prodigy and all. There's no need for him to go completely psycho about it.

I still find it funny though, probably the most gangster duo from the east coast and one of them turns out to be gay. It's like ice cube coming out as gay.
    People just won't take them seriously anymore imo.

Who says a gay person can't be gangster? I'm sure they exist.

just read there that sway of mtv texted havoc to see if it was legit and havoc replied to say they it was.

so no hacking, it really is havoc.

Oh indeed. Exhibit A, your honor. Omar Little. A young homosexual male living in Baltimore, Maryland. He "robs drub dealers" for a living. He is the most gangster person ever portrayed on television in my humble opinion. This is all despite him being openly gay. The whole of West Baltimore is afraid of their lives of him as evidenced in this clip below. Omar comin' yo :D.

Did i say a gay gangster couldnt exist? No i didn't, but do you think he's going to have as much appeal as a gay gangster rapper than he did before havoc started inciting that he was gay?

Did i say a gay gangster couldnt exist? No i didn't, but do you think he's going to have as much appeal as a gay gangster rapper than he did before havoc started inciting that he was gay?

Calm down fella, I'm not having a go at you. I'm just saying that all this gay-bashing in hip hop circles is out-dated and pseudo machismo bullsh*t really. I don't know if he'll have as much appeal as before (hasn't appealed to me much anyway), but I don't see why he shouldn't to people who liked him from before. And it's an absolute dick move by Havoc to say that stuff publicly. Nobody deserves to be outed like that.

Calm down fella, I'm not having a go at you. I'm just saying that all this gay-bashing in hip hop circles is out-dated and pseudo machismo bullsh*t really. I don't know if he'll have as much appeal as before (hasn't appealed to me much anyway), but I don't see why he shouldn't to people who liked him from before. And it's an absolute dick move by Havoc to say that stuff publicly. Nobody deserves to be outed like that.

Sorry about that, didn't mean to come across that way.

What amazes me is how violently havoc seems to be reacting to prodigy being gay. He should have kept it between the 2 of them and then quietly disbanded the duo if it bothered him so much.
    He's being stupidly immature with the way he's dealing with prodigy's preferences.

They have not appealed to many people in 11 years anyway and this will not help their case (it is Hip-Hop, homophobia is very prevalent)

Sorry about that, didn't mean to come across that way.

What amazes me is how violently havoc seems to be reacting to prodigy being gay. He should have kept it between the 2 of them and then quietly disbanded the duo if it bothered him so much.
    He's being stupidly immature with the way he's dealing with prodigy's preferences.

No bother.

If anything, Havoc should be the one getting the flack (I know he won't, but he should). His reaction is beyond outrageous really.

• Advertisement

the way i look at it, if an ex cop in rick ross can pretend he's the biggest bawse we'v seen thus far , a homosexual gangsta rapper isnt too far fetched.:)

Advertisement