Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

So Havoc is an idiot.

So he did not send those tweets? So this is clearly just promotion for their album?

No the gimp lost his phone and it had the passwords to his twitter and shít, and whoever found the phone was able to go on his twitter and right all that stuff.
    And since they had his phone they were able to text mtv and tell them that it was havoc writing that stuff.

So havoc says anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

What a complete and utter tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

It happens to a lot of people. Emmanuel Adebayor had his phone stolen on a night out and someone spent 5 hours writing abuse to everyone within sight. Obviously this was a much more serious matter though and could have potentially ruined Prodigy's personal life as well as his career. They should take better care of their phones and all that.

Yeah like not having a folder with all your passwords in it and also having a lock on your phone.

Does he write his bank pin on his bank card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

That's either the worst lie ever, or Havoc is a complete idiot.

• Advertisement

That's either the worst lie ever, or Havoc is a complete idiot.

Or both.

The first track off de la souls new album, not bad at all.
    Doesn't sound anything like their old stuff but i didn't expect it to.

Sounds nothing like them really, that could blend in to pretty much any New York Hip-Hop.

I'm nearly at the end of the album and i like it. they seem to have kept their soul, (no pun intended) unlike some other rappers i can think of.

Still plenty of jazz-like samples, that's what i like to hear.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

An article by J-Zone inspired by the recent Mobb Deep circus. If NWA broke up over Twitter;

http://www.egotripland.com/what-if-n-w-a-broke-up-on-twitter/

• Advertisement

Dres response to Dee Barnes! and MarionTheBarbarian!

For anyone interested in Coachella they are streaming some of the performances live on Youtube over the weekend. A$AP Rocky, Childish Gambino, Azealia Banks and Frank Ocean are the main names that popped out at me when I had a quick glance.

Frank is on tonight. He's scheduled for 8:15pm in America, which means that he'll be on stage at 4:15am our time.

http://www.youtube.com/coachella?feature=inp-lt-music

Oh and another thing I read about Coachella is that Snoop and Dre might be trying to get a hologram of Nate Dogg (and possibly Tupac) to perform during their set. I've no idea how it'd work. It may end up being a complete disaster or it might actually be good. I'm thinking the former is more likely, but hopefully it'll be somewhat decent.

Here's a video of a Mariah Carey hologram from some time ago. It is very realistic looking. If you just wandered in you'd probably think you were actually seeing her singing herself.

It seems really tacky and a possible indication that Snoop and Dre feel they might not be able to carry the show on their own and need a gimmick to add to it. I'm not sure but if they pull it off and it is not a complete cringe-fest then it could be pretty special. A chance to see Warren G and Nate singing "Regulate" one more time. And then "California Love".

http://techland.time.com/2012/04/13/nate-dogg-and-tupac-shakur-to-play-coachella-as-holograms/

At the end of the day it is a hologram but if Dre/whoever puts proper money into it it could be pretty cool.

I'd fully expect him to go all out on this. There's no way he'd want to tarnish the legacy of either artists by paying some lad to half a job on it.

I think the Gorrilaz have done a few concerts by hologram and they were fairly successful, if dre has it done well then who knows what artists they could do future concerts with.

Yea they played at the MTV awards about 5 years ago I think and they did the hologram thing. Looked pretty class. They'll have improved it a hell of a lot since then.

This is something that's been nagging me for years, but does anyone know why there is a sort of static sound at the start of Lose Yourself? I played the version from the CD and it's on it. I've looked all over Youtube and it's on all of them as well.

Sounds like vinyl static. It is deliberate. The song uses piano, drums, power chords and lots of other little samples and just layers that means the static noise had to be deliberately added.

It's one of the most heavily produced songs i can think of, it must have been put in there on purpose.

• Advertisement

Sounds like vinyl static. It is deliberate. The song uses piano, drums, power chords and lots of other little samples and just layers that means the static noise had to be deliberately added.

I've almost no idea about song production. Ya learn something new every day.

I've no doubt that it's deliberate. When I first heard it though I thought there was something wrong with my iPod, cd player, headphones, cd and/or ears.

Cube is an absolute fiend for sampling, all these samples in one song.

"It's a Man's Man's Man's World" by James Brown
    "The Payback" by James Brown
    "Funky President" by James Brown
    "Funky Drummer" by James Brown
    "I Know You Got Soul" by Bobby Byrd
    "Hot Pants - I'm Coming, I'm Coming, I'm Coming" by Bobby Byrd
    "Bop Gun (Endangered Species)" by Parliament
    "Sing a Simple Song" by Sly & the Family Stone
    "Big Ole Butt" by LL Cool J
    "So Wat Cha Sayin'" by EPMD
    "Heed the Word of the Brother" by X-Clan
    "They Call Me D-Nice" by D-Nice[citation needed]
    "Ashley's Roachclip" by The Soul Searchers
    "Bon Bon Vie" by T.S. Monk
    "Tramp" by Lowell Fulsom
    "Psychedelic Shack" by The Temptations
    "Hector" by Village Callers
    "The Big Beat" by Billy Squier
    "The Haunted House", narrated by Laura Olsher
    "Welcome to the Terrordome" by Public Enemy
    "The Humpty Dance" by Digital Underground
    "Rebel Without a Pause" by Public Enemy
    "100 Miles and Runnin" by N.W.A.

I've almost no idea about song production. Ya learn something new every day.

I've no doubt that it's deliberate. When I first heard it though I thought there was something wrong with my iPod, cd player, headphones, cd and/or ears.

Neither do I :D

Nah it is on all the recordings, so it was definitely deliberate. I do remember thinking the CD was scratched or something when it came out (one of the few CDs I bought)

This has to have the award for rap song with most samples:

I'd say the Skeemix version of 400 Bars definitely beats it. It's another 5 minutes or so longer than it. Barely 3 minutes in and I've counted 14 samples already. It's great listening to it. He gives a shout out to Ghost and then "Apollo Kids" is the sample used.

Don't know which version I prefer, the Skeemix or the official one with the "Exhibit C" beat. Just Blaze did brilliantly for that beat.

400 bars must have more samples, it is a bit of a ramble at times lyrics wise though.

Oh ****, I never heard the Skeemix. Definitely makes it better. Infinitely more listenable.

Oh yea but considering he's rapping constantly for 20 minutes I think he can be cut a little slack. I don't think anyone would be able to go for 400 bars and not have a portion of it that is muck. Especially when you think that a 'normal' verse is around 16 bars long and a lot of rappers struggle even with just that.

Simple maths time. 400 bars divided by 16 = 25 verses. An average of three verses a song. Therefore Game put out 8 and a half songs worth of material. Add in a few choruses and a guest spot or 5 and he basically put out a whole album. And he did it all without any guests. Pretty impressive imo.

300 Bars is still better. Much better lyrics in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Prefer 300 Bars because it had such an impact at the time and I think all the samples were great and I think the song itself did a lot of damage to G-Unit, definitely my favorite diss track ever. I like 400 Bars, not sure if I prefer the normal version or the remix, Exhibit C is such a great instrumental, probably one of the very few that could work for 20 minutes straight.

True. Both are nice as hell and impressive.

But 300 bars had better lyrics, better beats and a much much bigger impact for obvious reasons.

Yeah the Game puts out a ridiculous amount of material yet some people rag on him for having "too many" guest spots when most of the guest spots are people on the chorus or intros/skits and only a portion is actual guest verse appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

300 bars was epic while 400 bars was terrible, 20 mins of name dropping and literally rapping about f*ck all.. opposites imo.

lil wayne has 10,000 bars??... just came across it on youtube. I dont know how to count bars but if game's 500 bars is around 21min long and this song by waynes is 34 min long its hardly 10000 bars with just over a 10 min difference between the 2:confused:

• Advertisement

It could be 24Million bars but I can not get through the first minute.

More bars are not better, Game actually was saying some good bars over good beats and was coherent 100% of the time whereas Lil Wayne is barely coherent.

Canibus had 1000 bars and that was 45 minutes...

Advertisement