Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids - what's the point?

Options
  • 19-12-2011 10:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I was reading on personal issues about women worrying about being too old to have kids etc, how they want them so badly, and their life would never be complete without them. I also know a few girls in their 30s that are deeply depressed by the fact that they're single and still don't have kids, it seems they want kids to make their lives complete. Why is this such an issue? Is there something programmed into women that make them broody and depressed if they don't have kids? Isn't it a bit dangerous to be pinning your happiness on the birth of a child?
    I'm 31 and never want kids, I don't see the appeal. In fact, the appeal of never having any just seems fantastic, hassle free life without the horrible little bastards ruining everything and sapping your resources.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I've too much money, too much time on my hands and get too much sleep at night. The world needs to be balanced so someone needs kids to compensate for my awesomeness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Kids don't ruin anything, they make things many times better. Nothing comes close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

They're very handy for cleaning chimneys this time of year in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Hi all. I was reading on personal issues about women worrying about being too old to have kids etc, how they want them so badly, and their life would never be complete without them. I also know a few girls in their 30s that are deeply depressed by the fact that they're single and still don't have kids, it seems they want kids to make their lives complete. Why is this such an issue? Is there something programmed into women that make them broody and depressed if they don't have kids? Isn't it a bit dangerous to be pinning your happiness on the birth of a child?
    I'm 31 and never want kids, I don't see the appeal. In fact, the appeal of never having any just seems fantastic, hassle free life without the horrible little bastards ruining everything and sapping your resources.

Probably something to do with the reproductive urge being a fairly basic necessity for a species to survive...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,150 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Of course women are programmed to want children, it is the only reason any of us are here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

And then you die lonely in a bed with no one around....

All your friends will be off with their kids :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

listermint wrote: »

Haha, that's the first thing that crossed my mind and that he will end up in a nursing home cause he will have no kids to mind him :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and feelings. If you lack the urge to have kids that's fine and perfectly acceptable. There have always been people who don't wants kids and you are one.

I, and the majority of people feel the biological urge/need to have kids. It is preprogrammed in. When I ask why I want kids the answers are
    To see some of the people I love, like my Dad who passed away, in a new generation.
    To love them, and give them a life of joy, happiness and hope.
    To create our own little family with the noise, laughter, crying, arguing and general mayhem that a happy family comes with.

Having been trying for 3 years and suffering 3 miscarriages, my sincere hope is that 2012 will bring a little babs to us. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I have a seven month old. And she's the only good thing that happened in my life this year. You need to have a child...to see them smile up to you in the morning, put their finger in your nose and fish hook you...

Well you need to have one to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

the point is that the positives far outweigh the negatives, usually. (well there are always exceptions)

also what if your parents decided they weren't having any children? you wouldn't have been here to post this...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

You are at the end of a long line of your ancestors stretching back millions and millions of years who all have one thing in common - they all had kids.

But I can understand that if you think you ruined everything for your parents and did nothing but sapped their resources, it might be better for you to opt out of the genetic line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Haha, that's the first thing that crossed my mind and that he will end up in a nursing home cause he will have no kids to mind him :p

Having kids so that you have someone to look after you when you're old is about the most selfish reason you can have them for.

Not to mention that half of them are ungrateful little pri<ks who won't bother their arses anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm 31 and never want kids, I don't see the appeal.

Wait until you hit 32/33 and your body starts screaming.. "FILL ME UP WITH BABIES!!".

Don't ask me how or why, but it happens most women... nearly all of them go baby crazy before they hit 35. I suppose it's nature's way of telling them that biologically, the window of opportunity on their time to reproduce is about to expire.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

My kids are my retirement plan. And when I need that new liver...

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭irelandrover

A reason to have kids is so that no-one can use "you don't have kids so you wouldn't understand" argument anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I don't expect anyone to mind me. Anyway I have bupa, and the girls in Thailand always stay young.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Why do woman put pressure on for kids? To appease their mothers who drop hints at every chance given. "Oh thats a nice baby grow isnt it." "oh that baby is adorable when are you starting your own family?"

Ill start it when you butt out and leave me alone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Having kids so that you have someone to look after you when you're old is about the most selfish reason you can have them for.

All reasons for having children is ultimately selfish. It's one of the most narcissistic things a person can do.

So what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I have a seven month old. And she's the only good thing that happened in my life this year. You need to have a child...to see them smile up to you in the morning, put their finger in your nose and fish hook you...

Well you need to have one to know.

^ made me laugh :D
    I suppose it's nature's way of telling them that biologically, the window of opportunity on their time to reproduce is about to expire.

^ That prolly.

Though it would be fair to say that as some men don't want children, there are also women who don't want children. It's not only women that get broody either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Op Im sure you can see some reasons beyond your own, parents do give up a huge amount of their cash and old lifestyle to benefit someone else, its an urge I have but it just comes out in the form of community work or teaching for me, I'm a caregiver. Everything I do is orientated around helping others its a personality thing I don't care for money as long as I can get by I'd go without if it meant spending time with others I just have a lot of love to give.
    Its perfectly normal not to want children and if someone does want children and its hasn't happened for them I doubt it was a deliberate to decision to want to them and certainly one that is too late to reverse.

It's dangerous to put all your reasons for living into one basket, i.e kids, religion, work, partner etc. But ya get over it.

Some people are caregivers and will never cease to want to look after others, some people are very family orientated and a life without family doesn't work as well as it does for other folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Op Im sure you can see some reasons beyond your own, parents do give up a huge amount of their cash and old lifestyle to benefit someone else, its an urge I have but it just comes out in the form of community work or teaching for me, I'm a caregiver. Everything I do is orientated around helping others its a personality thing I don't care for money as long as I can get by I'd go without if it meant spending time with others I just have a lot of love to give.
    Its perfectly normal not to want children and if someone does want children and its hasn't happened for them I doubt it was a deliberate to decision to want to them and certainly one that is too late to reverse.

It's dangerous to put all your reasons for living into one basket, i.e kids, religion, work, partner etc. But ya get over it.

Some people are caregivers and will never cease to want to look after others, some people are very family orientated and a life without family doesn't work as well as it does for other folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

without the horrible little bastards ruining everything.

Merely a projection of your ma's bad experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Your parents thought the same!

stovelid wrote: »
    Merely a projection of your ma's bad experience.

no, she seems to like me for some reason

Gophur wrote: »
    Your parents thought the same!

No I think my ma was keen on it from a young age. Shouldn't people have less kids now that we're consuming more and the population i exploding anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Shouldn't people have less kids now that we're consuming more and the population i exploding anyway?
    I thought they were? I mean, in our parents generation and our grandparents generation there were much bigger families. It's fairly common to see one / two child families now, or so I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nothing worse than being a single guy in his mid-30s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

no, she seems to like me for some reason

Biological imperative is a curious thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

listermint wrote: »

I wouldn't be so confident that your kids wont pack you off to the nursing home first chance they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

looksee wrote: »
    Of course women are programmed to want children, it is the only reason any of us are here.
    Ah, women are here to make men sandwiches! Did you not learn biology in school?

Advertisement