Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids - what's the point?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Well the world isn't working the way things are, the West consume too much. Being rich is not an excuse for destroying the Earth, which is what we do by buying into mass consumerism.

It's working well where I am and that's really all I give a shít about :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

smash wrote: »
    It's working well where I am and that's really all I give a shít about :D

And this is why we are doomed as a species. The best thing someone can do for the planet is not reproduce at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mother Nature used to sort it out for us then we had the wonder of fertility treatment which means anyone with a few quid can have a baby. Some people just are not meant to reproduce. End of.

And this is why we are doomed as a species. The best thing someone can do for the planet is not reproduce at the moment.

If people want to have kids then they are allowed. It's a stupid argument to say "There's too many people here already, everybody stop reproducing" when there's clearly space for more people and science is coming on in leaps and bounds. If you're worried about resources then stop buying organic and push for more lab grown foods etc so we can advance in that area and produce good food faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I've become quite resentful of my third child since the changes in the budget regarding children's allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

eviltwin wrote: »
    Mother Nature used to sort it out for us then we had the wonder of fertility treatment which means anyone with a few quid can have a baby. Some people just are not meant to reproduce. End of.

Yep it's that easy :mad: Silly, ill informed post.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Yep it's that easy :mad: Silly, ill informed post.

Actually barbie there is no reason why every person needs to have a child. Some people can't just the way some can't see, walk etc.

We don't need to mess around with nature just to satisfy the wants of people who think they can't exist without a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's hard to say that for sure. A planet having an intelligent animal in it's portfolio could be a good thing in the long run. If we do leave the planet and take the life we need to survive with us we will essentially be acting like a reproductive system for the living entity planet earth, and we all know that nature will risk everything to reproduce.

Actually barbie there is no reason why every person needs to have a child. Some people can't just the way some can't see, walk etc.

We don't need to mess around with nature just to satisfy the wants of people who think they can't exist without a child.

That's a very sad post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Well the world isn't working the way things are, the West consume too much. Being rich is not an excuse for destroying the Earth, which is what we do by buying into mass consumerism.

Eh was all that supposed to be directed at me, maybe not but anywho
    management of consumption is not taken care of by the minority of people who do not have children in Ireland rising.

back in the day when a family of 22 was more common we weren't even using as many resources as we are not so that is not the answer, we are still living beyond our means but this is a complete side issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

All reasons for having children is ultimately selfish. It's one of the most narcissistic things a person can do.

So what?

Narcissistic? LOL.

It's pure animal instinct, or, more nicely put, biological imperative.

That's a very sad post.

I think the sad thing is the way childless people are bled dry and exploited by the fertility industry. I spent 5 long years on the ivf rollercoaster, nearly lost my sanity and my partner not to mention all the money we wasted on it....

Never again. Its a horrible journey to be on and the people meant to be helping you are just out to make a buck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Haha, that's the first thing that crossed my mind and that he will end up in a nursing home cause he will have no kids to mind him :p
    Last time I was in a nursing home (Saturday) most of the residents were married. People do not mind their incontinent, demented, confused parents at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Is that really the reason you don't want kids? If you don't want them fair enough, but don't come up with bizarre reasons why you're not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I think the sad thing is the way childless people are bled dry and exploited by the fertility industry. I spent 5 long years on the ivf rollercoaster, nearly lost my sanity and my partner not to mention all the money we wasted on it....

Never again. Its a horrible journey to be on and the people meant to be helping you are just out to make a buck.

It is a very, very hard journey but by your logic, all the cancer treating drugs that extend life beyond what was normal in previous generations should be stopped because the drug companies don't develop them for the good of humanity, but rather for profit. If it was acceptable to live to your 50/60'2 why now should people want to live to their 80's?

I am sorry it wasn't a successful journey for you and your wife. There are some prats in the industry I have met some, but also there are some great doctors and nurses.

I know I can offer a great life to a kid and as such if we aren't successful next year we'll be heading down the adoption route. It is about who I am, who my husband is and what we know we have to offer, by way of bringing up well educated, polite, children who will contribute to society.

That is what I can offer a child, a good upbringing. It's what I can offer society. Surely when you look at all the kids being dragged up with no idea of right or wrong, those of us who can help to balance these out should.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Is that really the reason you don't want kids? If you don't want them fair enough, but don't come up with bizarre reasons why you're not!

lol, how is destroying the earth bizarre?

It's not bizarre, it's just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Until you have kids you can never fully understand the sence of inner fulfillment it brings. From the outside it indeed looks like a hassle, exausting, inconvenient money pit...... and it is but you just don't care.

Two years ago i had a totally care free existance, no wife, no kids, plenty of cash all to myself, did what i wanted when i wanted (outside of work hours obv) and i thought i was perfectly happy.

now i'm married to a beautiful girl and we have a beautiful and hilarious daughter. i barely get my cash from one end of the month to the next and rarely have free time to do any of the things i used to do in my previous supposed utopia. You never feel fully rested and there is always something to be done..... but you just don't care.

I never met anyone that's regretted it, best **** ever!

It's not bizarre, it's just not true.

so you dont think population growth is connected to the depletion of the earth's resources, and pollution?

It's bizarre when the one thing you're doing to "save the earth" is to not have kids. How many flights did you take in the last 5 years for instance? Probably the thing you do that produces more carbon than anything else. If you're seriously worried about saving the earth you'd stop that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

I have a seven month old. And she's the only good thing that happened in my life this year. You need to have a child...to see them smile up to you in the morning, put their finger in your nose and fish hook you...

Well you need to have one to know.

are you sure it's yours and that Paul Galvin didn't visit.....

Btw, Galvin Fcuking Rocks, and Cadogan is a tramp anyway.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It's bizarre when the one thing you're doing to "save the earth" is to not have kids. How many flights did you take in the last 5 years for instance? Probably the thing you do that produces more carbon than anything else. If you're seriously worried about saving the earth you'd stop that.

Id rather have no kids and fly guilt free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

This thread- what's the point?
    OP, You don't want to have kids-some people agreee with you, some don't.
    Get over it.
    As a pregnant woman I resent the fact you refer to children as little b*stards- that's just plain ignorant.
    These little b*stards will be your future doctors, Regardless of if you want kids or not, you will have to deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

So I guess if you break your leg we'll tell the doctors not to bother with any anaesthetic or complicated bone setting - shur just let nature takes its course.

So I guess if you break your leg we'll tell the doctors not to bother with any anaesthetic or complicated bone setting - shur just let nature takes its course.

Far as I know my life will be pretty hard to manage with a broken leg. Not having kids won't kill you

Id rather have no kids and fly guilt free :D

Thats the point! You're not serious about "saving the earth", so why pretend thats a reason not to have kids?
    If you were, you'd have a kid, teach it to use local products, be green and all that crap. I think the main reason people don't want kids is that they're enjoying their live just fine and don't want kids to mess it up. Which is perfectly ok by me!

Me, I couldn't give a rats ass about the environment, or there being "too many people already", and using all the earths resources (I don't even think the last to are a real problem tbh). I even throw the odd can into the normal bin :eek:

so you dont think population growth is connected to the depletion of the earth's resources, and pollution?

Yea it is but technologies and sciences are moving faster now than ever so why would you worry about it?

I have an idea, why don't we just exterminate people at retirement age. That should sort out a lot, it will mean no pensions too!

Yea it is but technologies and sciences are moving faster now than ever so why would you worry about it?

I have an idea, why don't we just exterminate people at retirement age. That should sort out a lot, it will mean no pensions too!

They are moving faster yes but how is that benefitting the environment? We still rely on fossil fuels.

They are moving faster yes but how is that benefitting the environment? We still rely on fossil fuels.

Use your intelligence will you. A decade ago there was no broadband, mobile phones only made calls and sent text messages, VHS were still being sold in shops, hardly anyone had flat screen TV's, there were no wind energy farms etc etc.

It's moving very fkn fast!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

The best thing about having kids is the unconditional love that they show you.

It is pure, at least until they grow up and figure you out.

Advertisement